• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Andy. HRE

Captain
7 Badges
Jul 12, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
Well, I'm not a particularly well-known personality around here, buut I've had the great fortune of being selected for the beta test, and while we generally aren't just playing the game, last night I took the latest version of the beta out for spin. Previously, I'd played a century as England in my only long test and Burgundy had been an extremely meek ally, losing almost all of its lands except Bourgogne by 1510 or so, so I decided to see how tough it could really be.

This was single player as I live in California and I'm not sure when I'll be able to try my hand with the European bunch without calling in sick. Then again, I do feel a cold coming on ...

Anyway, in January 1419, Burgundy is already knee deep in the Hundred Years' War. My ally England has the Duke of Bedford and is storming around France. Within months he's annexed the lands of the Duke of Orleans, and our other ally, Brittany, who is England's vassal, is well on its way tot aking the last outpost of Paris-sympathizers in the Vendee. England has moved on to attack the Duke of Anjou-Provence's lands in Maine, and Lorraine, ally of the false king in Paris, has dared make a play for Burgundian soil.

Meanwhile, my forces have very low base morale, so my first decision is to begin the slow process of freeing my serfs. I take a stability hit and in general I'll have some annoyances, but the big bonus is better morale -- after all, free yeoman fighting for their homeland beats serf being pressganged into service.

Secondly, I set my aims. Besides testing for bugs and looking for oddness, my straetgic aim is the same as that of the great Dukes of burgundy - unite my Burdgundian and Netherlands possessions into a cohesive (and contiguous) state and to grow that state into a true middle kingdom, as it was in the days of King Lothar. From there, perhaps to recreate the realm of Charlemagne, his grandfather. After all, as Duke of Burgundy I have a unique gift -- I start eht grand Campaign with three native cultures - French, Germand, and Dutch, and so it will take me quite a while to find a province where I am not accepted as a local leader.

After that, if world conquest happens to look attractive, so be it.

Where to go first? Every time I send off my small army, it seems the English show up with a leader to co-opt my siege, or they get there first to take control anyway. I want land, not just glory, so I sit tight for a while and build up.

To be continued in much greater detail once I recheck my log files.

Thanks for being the first Single Player AAR! And let us know as much about domestic policy as you can without breaking the NDA.

Oooh, also if its not aginst the NDA, does Ireland start as an English vassal or part of England? I've got to plan ahead for my first EU2 AAR :D

Originally posted by BiB
Ireland is separate. Not even a vassal. Gonna attack them next in the MP AAR :D

Nonono, you have to leave them indeoendant until the Founding of Guiness historical event, when the tax value of Dublin shoots up, and they get a free refinery. If you conquer them first, then it doesn't happen, and there's no guiness.

You wouldn't want THAT on your conscience, would you?

hehe, not even vassals....excellent
<maniacal laugh>

Cool. Go Burgundy! :D
Give them Frenchies a what-for!

1419-1421, Tough Times for the Lands of St. Andrew

The game began with a flurry of declarations of war - long seething hatred bubbling to the surface:
Hannover and Friesland (separately) vs. Oldenburg, Albania vs. Serbia.
Castile vs. a Muslim alliance led by Granada (incl. Teke, Fez, Algiers, Karaman, and Ryazan).
Münster vs. Gelre. Muscovy vs. Tver, Turkey vs. Byzantium. Woe unto the fragments of that once great empire

Mighty Burgundy, along with its English and Breton allies, was already at war with a French Coalition led by France. My vassal,
Hainault, was not a member of the alliance and I feared for Jacqueline of Baviere's safety without my protection. On January 6
my fears were realized as Luxembourg attacked Hainault, but as Hainault was not in my alliance,
there was little I could do except hope for Hainault's safety and plan my revenge just in case.

On January 22, 1419 worse news arrived. "Artois has been besieged by France" exclaimed the herald.

I built cavalry in Bourgogne and prepared to attack France somewhere to counter this offense to my northern
county of Artois.

Further bad news rolled in:
April 27, 1419 : "We are attacked hostile armies of Auvergne in Bourgogne."
May 6, 1419 : "We lost a battle against Auvergne in Bourgogne."
May 6, 1419 : "Bourgogne has been besieged by Auvergne"

At this point I had the Herald killed and replaced him with his less pessimistic cousin.

Regrouping in Franche Comté, I hired mercenaries and sought to relieve my capital. On June 1, the battle began.
On June 14, the new arrived that a coalition of Auvergne, Bourbonnais, Provence, and France had once again mocked
the cross of Saint Andrew and sent us packing to the Free County

By late July, further bad news -- "We have lost control over Artois to France."

This herald was seeming as bad as the previous. Though in august we heard a cautionary tale as the war between Oldenburg and Hannover
became the first of the January Wars to become a summer peace. Alas, poor Oldenburg found itself swallowed by Hannover as enemies
became one under the sway of Hannover. Friesland received 50d for its help.

This spirit of peace seemed to strike close to home as suddenly Orleans, once of the French allies, offered me 372d for peace.
In need of funds for the relief of Bourgogne, I accept. While this may seem cowardly to some, within two days England annexed
all of Orleans. Far be it from me to desert an ally, but had I not acted, would England have been willing to share? I think not.

The tide of war seemed to turn in my favor and in September, Philippe III le Bon came to the throne determined to free his ancestral capital.
In his first act, he liberalized the laws of serfdom in his real, inciting a sense of élan among the troops.
On September 21, 1419, the first good truly news of the war arrived "We won a battle against Auvergne in Bourgogne."

In that same month, a great war broke out in central Europe. Austria (with Croatia) declared war upon Hungary ( along with
Pommern, Poland and Lithuania). Later the Swiss would join on the side of the Austrians

In October, the French counter attacked but we fought them off.
Within a week, the Auvergnese and French attacked again, and we were once again successful.

This success led to some jealousy among our neighbors, and on November 1, 1419, we learnt that the Archbishop of Mainz,
himself engaged in a war with his neighbor, warned us to engage in no wars in his vicinity. We thumbed our nose in his
general direction but did nothing with respect to his nation for the time being.

Sadly, our string of successes came to an end with Auvergne attacked yet again, and once again we sought shelter in the
Free County. This defeat incited our ancient rival, Lorraine, to seek to take our prized Alsace and on
November 19, 1419, Lorraine joined the war on the same side as France, Auvergne, Bourbonnais, Provence and Scotland.
in the now separate wars against Brittany and against England and Burgundy."

We sent a slew of merchants to Venice in an effort to establish a more regular flow of goods (and the taxes they provide),
but this was not short-term solution.

Before the years end, the cursed Lorrainers struck the remnants of our army in France Comté. We sent them packing,
and soon thereafter learnt that the Austrian alliance now faced enemies in Bavaria, and Wurtemberg.

As Christmas approach, more news of peace was heard. Gelre found itself annexed by Münster. The Emperor in Constantinople was spared so harsh
a fate, but lost all lands save those surrounding his palace.

The Christian spirit did not strike the cold hearts of our enemies and before year's end, Alsace was besieged by Lorraine and
Bourgogne was besieged by France. We sought to relieve Bourgogne yet again and succeeded, ousting the French and then fending off
a second attack from Auvergne. The army then turned to relieve Alsace.

The war in central Europe got more complicated as the Teutonic Order, Prussia, Castile and Pskov attacked
Pommern, Lithuania, Poland and Hungary.

In February the news arrived, the battle for Alsace had gone poorly and in the meantime, the French returned to besiege
Bourgogne yet again. in their war against "

A second assault on Alsace was more successful, as the Duke of Bedford arrived with small corps of English troops.
Verily he is a mighty leader and a credit to his brother Henry V.

The siege in Artois began to go well for the French, whose armies there were far too powerful to take on ourselves.
Instead we struck Nivernais on May 25, 1420, where soon Lorraine's retreating forces arrived, and to our surprise, we were routed.

On this day we also learnt of the annexation of Mainz by The Palatinate. Woe unto the prelates who seek to meddle in the
matters of Caesar!

We had not much time to ponder the fate of Mainz when the Palatinate declared war upon us! Hessen, Hannover, and Saxony joined,
and thanks be to God that England stayed true, for our retreat from Nivernais met with disaster and we found our army bouncing from
one occupied land to the next, unable to regroup before yet another defeat.

The bad news continued.

We learnt that Croatia had suffered the fate of Mainz before it, being swallowed by its neighbors - in this case Hungary.
Our vassal, Hainault, also went the way of history, succumbing to Luxembourg’s rough wooing.

Thereupon home matters proved too pressing. Bourgogne fell to the horrid Auvergnese. Then Artois to the French.
Alsace was besieged by Lorraine and Franche Comté by the Palatinate. Soon the Lorrainers yielded to the Palatinate in Alsace as well.
Saint Andrew, patron of Burgundy, why do you test us so?

News arrived that the Hungary coalition was now also at war with the Golden Horde. Forgive this narrator is somehow the Mongol threat paled
to the threat to the Burgundian homelands.

Our army finally reached Lorraine itself and here good fortunate prevailed as a battle between England and Auvergne had just begun.
Success was ours and order was restored. We sought to remove the Palatinate from the War and struck at Pfalz itself.
We lost and fell back on Lorraine.

At this point, the Duke himself suggested recruiting mercenaries in our Flemish lands and sending them to relieve Artois.
The French, weary with war, were offering peace in exchange for that county. If, perhaps, we could wrest it back, a White Peace
could be arranged, leaving Auvergne and Lorraine high and dry.

March 18, 1421 : Flanders Regiment (local recruits) arrived in Artois.
March 18, 1421 : We initiated a siege in Artois.
April 3, 1421 : English Pikes (mercenaries in our service) arrived in Artois."
October 4, 1421 : We captured the province of Artois from France!
and as anticipated:
October 8, 1421 : Burgundy accepted peace with France on the following terms : Return to Status Quo.

Our great Duke's advice had ended one war, but the German coalition still menaced us. In fact, around this time
we lost control over Alsace to The Palatinate.

Meanwhile, bereft of its Croatian ally, now lost Tirol to Wuertemburg. The balance seems to be tipping in
the large tangle of wars. Brandenburg joined Hungary and Poland in their various wars.

With a veteran force having liberated Artois, we did the unthinkable and requested military access through the very same Luxembourg
who had just annexed our fair Hainault. They accepts and our northern troops flooded into Pfalz. We hoped by taking their capital to end this
menace.

Within days of reaching Pfalz, further bad news arrived: "We have lost control over Franche Comté to The Palatinate."
Efforts to stop the German from besieging Bourgogne (recently freed from Auvergne's sickly, sticky fingers) failed and
although the news that England had ended its war with France, etc., with the capture of Main from Provence gave us cheer that
their forces could be brought to bear against the Saxons and Hessens in our capital, we feared 1422 would prove a hard one
for the Burgundian people.

great!
it sounds like the ai is much harder now=)

Re: 1419-1421, Tough Times for the Lands of St. Andrew

Originally posted by Andy, HRE
The French, weary with war, were offering peace in exchange for that county. If, perhaps, we could wrest it back, a White Peace
could be arranged, leaving Auvergne and Lorraine high and dry.

This concerns me greatly. I was expecting that for EU 2 the alliance leader would take into account the conquests of it's allies in the peace resolution. If the alliance leader is authorized to make peace for the entire alliance, then it is only logical that it should take into account the gains and losses of the entire alliance when it offers peace. I sure hope this is fixed. :(

"This success led to some jealousy among our neighbors, and on November 1, 1419, we learnt that the Archbishop of Mainz,
himself engaged in a war with his neighbor, warned us to engage in no wars in his vicinity. We thumbed our nose in his
general direction but did nothing with respect to his nation for the time being. "--- Andy, HRE

What does that mean? Is that warning thing a new part of the game?

:confused:

Well, I'm not a particularly well-known personality around here, buut I've had the great fortune of being selected for the beta test, and while we generally aren't just playing the game, last night I took the latest version of the beta out for spin....

I hate you :mad: ;)

what annoys me is the seemingly moronic nature of the foreign alliances.

From what we have read, burgundy did nothing at all to annoy most of those who attacked her. So why the hell would they all time after time declare war upon her. its not good ai, its just ganging up.

or did i miss something?

Originally posted by Deaghaidh

Nonono, you have to leave them indeoendant until the Founding of Guiness historical event, when the tax value of Dublin shoots up, and they get a free refinery. If you conquer them first, then it doesn't happen, and there's no guiness.

You wouldn't want THAT on your conscience, would you?

hehe, not even vassals....excellent
<maniacal laugh>

We get by just fine on Flemish beer :D

After all, as Duke of Burgundy I have a unique gift -- I start eht grand Campaign with three native cultures - French, Germand, and Dutch, and so it will take me quite a while to find a province where I am not accepted as a local leader.

Oooooo. That is really cool! Great AAR by the way.

Originally posted by jbavon

From what we have read, burgundy did nothing at all to annoy most of those who attacked her. So why the hell would they all time after time declare war upon her. its not good ai, its just ganging up.

or did i miss something?

My take on the scenario is that Burgundy and England were at war with France & Allies... since Burgundy was having a difficult time, her neighbors decided to jump in and steal what they could.

Could be wrong, but it makes sense to moi. :D

I began at war (along with my allies) against a large French coalition, lead by France itself and its various vassal/subsidiary powers (Orleans, Auvergne, Provence, Bourbonnais).

Lorraine joined that alliance at some point and was allowed to enter the war on the side of France.

As far as the Paltinate, I think they had ended their war with Mainz and they coveted Alsace. They saw I was very weak and they jumped at their chance. The other allies (Hannover, Hessen, and Saxony) just came along for the ride.

Without giving away the next installment, those jumpers-in are going to regret their decision a wee bit.

;)

Andy

Originally posted by jbavon

or did i miss something?

I agree with you, from what I see here and the other AARs it looks like the AI likes to go to war a bit too much.

Originally posted by celedhring

I agree with you, from what I see here and the other AARs it looks like the AI likes to go to war a bit too much.

It may *seem* that way, but remember that the map of Europe was FAR different in 1492 than in 1419! This is the result of a LOT of fighting in Europe during this period. :D