• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[size=+1]1603 Report (December)[/size]

1603b.jpg

Economy
Stability +3
Stability cost = (estimated at about 2000D/level)
Treasury = 1217D
Inflation 3.5%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1518    25
1543    26
1568    29
1593    37
1598    37
1603    37

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5
1543     223.00     249.01    42.5
1568     238.69     343.06    45.8
1593     285.20     487.92    55.8
1598     324.20     493.77    57.8
1603     369.05     555.03    58.2

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2
1543      48.4     23.8      24.3     0.0     96.5       -7.6
1568      57.5     29.9      35.9     0.0    123.4      -12.0 
1593      70.8     39.4      67.1     4.3    181.6      -11.1
1598      72.3     39.9      65.9     4.3    182.4      -10.7
1603      83.3     41.3      72.7     4.3    201.6      -11.6
Current minting income: 43.8 ducats/month
74 merchants in CoTs (+5). 7.6 merchants/year
4.8 settlers/year
Trade efficiency is 78% (first nation). Production efficiency is 79% (first nation)
Trade agreements: Portugal

National
Monarch Marino Grimani
Administrative Average (6)
Diplomacy Average (5)
Military Average (5)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year            1419 1503 1598 1603
Aristocracy        4    3    5    -
Centralization     3    8    -    -
Innovative         4    5    -    -
Mercantilism       5    8    -    6
Offensive          2    4    1    -
Land               2    1    0    -
Quality            6    8    9    -
Serfdom            4    1    -    -
Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 17 + 55% (1611, 20%) [No Bonus]
Naval 16 + 2% (1619, 15%) [No Bonus]
Trade 7 + 42% (1613, 35%) [No bonus]
Infrastructure 7 + 0% (1869, 0%) [No bonus]
Minting 30%

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)
Refinery in Cyprus (finished in 1602)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Trabzon) Muslim (Alexandria, Cataract, Nile, Delta, Egypt).

Military

Leaders:
None

Army 80k infantry, 27k cavalry, 108 artillery
maintenance cost at 50% is 7.8 D/month
Army support limit = 126 000 (27,000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 30D
Artillery 24D

Navy 37 warships, 104 galleys, 24 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 3.8 D/month
Navy support limit = 280
Cost of naval units:
warships 43D
Galleys 9D
Transports 12D

Manpower pool = 66 (32,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Savoy, Jerusalem & Parma
Bad Boy 26.9/44 very bad reputation
Permanent CB: Genoa, Burgundy, Netherlands, Bavaria & Dauphiné
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Spain, Savoy, Bulgaria, Austria

1603c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Venice (Savoy RM MA, Jerusalem MA, Parma)
Spain RM MA (Portugal, Wallachia)
Genoa
b]North[/b]:
Switzerland
Bavaria (Dauphine)
Danubian:
Austria MA
Hungary
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Bulgaria
Bosnia RM
Transylvania (Sweden)
Poland (Brandenburg, the Knights, Ireland, Courland, Denmark)
OE (Yemen)
Mediterranean:
Tunisia
Marocco
Tlemcen
Black sea:
Russia (Berg)
Uzbek
Kara Koyunlu (Baluchistan)
India:
Vijayanagar (Rajputana)
Mysore
Other:
France (Burgundy)
Netherlands
Oman (The Hedjaz)

3) Vassalages:
Papal States, Bulgaria, Jerusalem, Parma and Austria are vassals of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Genoa and Portugal are vassals of Spain
Bavaria is a vassal of Austria
Brandenburg and Courland are vassals of Poland

4) Changes in our area:
None

Ah, my Doge--of course we would never accuse you of the mistakes of any past Doge. I am certain that ou rhope was to merely point out that we do have decisions that have already set some precedent. However, in the long run, I believe we are better off with a central hand controlling these minor matters. If the Senate becomes responsibile for which ships get built where or who to send a specific type of diplomatic gift, well all business will come to a standstill. I trust your steady hand.

I do have a question though based on your last report. Is that Kara Koyunlu that is near our new lands in Trabizon? And, if not, who is it? And regardless of name, is that the same country that seems to border the Ottomans near Jordan and Syria?

What is the situation with the Ottomans? Are they barely holding on? Should we fear any new enemy in that sector, perhaps further to the east towards India?

Also, The Netherlands seems to have grown large. Who are they in alliance with? Do we know if they are expanding beyond Europe?

Is the Kingdom of Poland standing strong? Or are they in some kind of intenal crisis? What is their stance towards Russia? It would appear that Russia has reached the Black Sea THROUGH Poland.

Is Hungary indeed alone, with no allies? And Genoa? No allies either?

Prayerfully my friends we will find this time of peace to our advantage economically. We should pray that our enemies will find new enemies and we can continue to rebuild our naval fleet. I believe the Doge's estimation of 80 new ships is wise and he should continue on the path towards that end. Perhaps it would be wise to use a year or two of full minting to have the excess cash to build a large section of that fleet sooner, rather than later.

What do you think?

Jerusalem2.gif

Aureo Barbarigo
King of Jerusalem​

Honarable Doge Marino Grimani,
Not many news coming from the Holy places. I have used the aid sent to my kingdom to improve the fortifications in Judea from small to medium. I hope that is according to your wishes, and that more funding can be sent. As before, those money are also spent pleasing the noble factions that might otherwise not see Venice as their natural ally and protector. To further improve the safety of my person as well as that of the kingdom, you are invited to station some cavalry here. I have the stables and lodging prepared in the new fortress of David, just outside the Damascus gate towards the north.

1602b.jpg

Last edited:
Senator Cornaro,

I'll try my best to shed some more light into the international situation. The dark grey country bordering us and the Ottoman empire is indeed the Black Sheep Confederation (Kara Koyunlu). In fact the Ottomans have stabilized their situation, and due to their European technology, the Black Sheep Turks could become their victims, if they were not so fixated in recovering their lost splendor from us. Although the Ottomans are going to lose Serbia due to their inability to put any troops there, they have showed their capacity to ferry troops to Rumelia in case of war with the Balkan nations.

Hungary has entered a decadence. Surrounded by very agressive nations with superior technology (Austria, Wallachia, Transylvania, Poland), they are in a languid state that could precede their slow extinction, although they could just vegetate if left alone. They must have bad relations with all their neighbors, and are unable to find allies.

Poland has profited a lot from being in the biggest alliance and has shown to be a ruthless country in dealing with defeated enemies, I believe they are about to incorporate even more provinces from Transylvania. However strong they are, their situation is very delicate and made worse by her bad reputation. Being located between a hard place and a rock, should she find herself in a tough spot, she will be immediately gang attacked by Austria and Russia, that could very well decide her partition. The Polish alliance is also very heterogeneous, which makes it also volatile. Brandenburg is a crucial ally, that if decides to change sides could leave Poland really exposed.

But Russia has not been seriously at war with Poland yet. They have reached the Black sea by annexing Crimea, a popular revolter that springs back to life from time to time. The opportune conversion of Kaffa, will make our province less desirable to Russia, which is a good thing. Being Orthodox, it was acting as a magnet to Russian aggression.

The Netherlands are very large indeed. The Dutch are not following their traditional policy of keeping to themselves, and have successfully expanded during the terrible Franco-Burgundian crisis. But these days they appear to mind more for their overseas emporium, in which they must definitely have an advantage over us. That colonial orientation seems to have them uninterested in having allies. Burgundy might decide to take her revenge one of these days.

The Genoese appear to have abandoned the game of nations. Voluntarily subdued to the Spaniards by Andrea Doria, they are outside of their alliance, out of reach from everybody by our capsule surrounding them. They will neither be annexed, nor will be attacked by anybody. In their limbo, they are even out of reach to us as it would require huge resources to conquer them, and they can only be force-annexed after two wars, since their vassalage to Spain cannot be lifted. We could have tried to have the Spaniards try to break the vassalage, but the issue was rejected by the Consiglio, interested in bigger and better things at the time.

Regarding your economical proposal, I don't think we need to mint any more than we do. The rebuilding of the fleet goes slowly because it is the fourth priority in our expenses list. But as conversion attempts take a long time, and gifts are required less often, we will find the funds for the approved expenses down the list. Should we find ourselves suddenly at war with a maritime power, the Signoria would have a free hand to expend any required funds to achieve our military goals, and the Arsenal of Venice is capable of producing over 60 warships in just three months.

Doge Marino Grimani

King Barbarigo,

Calm the fears of your Muslim supporters. Venice has only the cleanest intentions for Jerusalem. I will send you a cavalry regiment to help in the defense of the Holy places. Together with the new fortifications built, they should protect the Kingdom of Jerusalem from our common enemy.

I also remind you that the increase in fortification will help a conversion attempt of Judea, that could greatly stabilize your kingdom.

Doge Grimani.

Honorable Doge,
Respected Capitano Generale Fodoroni,
Fellow Senators,

I salute thee.

I am just returning home after a long travel that brought me to those far remote lands, China and India (the real ones, not those lands Christoforo Colombo, that damned genovese sailor, stumbled upon).

I see that the Serenissima Repubblica has been well managed during my leave, but that our reputation is quite... bad. Such is the situation that we shall need over two centuries before we can hope to have a smooth diplomacy going on.

In the meantime, we shall need every ally we can get. So why, oh tell me why, while those Habsburgian Dukes have admitted our sovereignty, they still are not formally in our alliance ? Should we wait to see them scoff and dust off the yoke of vassalization ? No, friends, no, we are not in a position where we can dismiss any help.

Respectfully,
Senator Gradenigo

PS: and, for god's sake, have you forgotten those old words of wisdom : "Genoa delenda est" ?

Senator Gradenigo,

You have been missed. Your votes also. It is in controversial issues, like joining the Habsburg wars of religion, where votations are always narrowly disputed. However, our alliances are reviewed every ten years, and the Austrian Habsburgs are going to be available for as long as they remain our vassal. You will undoubtfully have the opportunity to try to convince your colleagues on this and other issues.

Doge Marino Grimani

Senator Gradenigo,
the reason some senators didn't want Austria in our alliance was that it would drag us into their Central European conflicts, whch would hurt reputation and economy. As it is now, it serves as a buffer state.
I share your worry for our reputation, perhaps we should consider raising Aristocracy?
[-0.7BB in 5 years! Arrghh. ]

Senator Cataldo Barbarigo

PS. I have recieved a letter from old Aureo, our king of Jerusalem. He wanted me to report that he was very pleased to recieve senator Cornaro with a strong group of stradioti. They are camped in the old fortress of Jaffa and in the newly constructed and comfortable fortress of David outside the Holy city. Although such a large number of catholics haven't been seen here since the crusades, it has really impressed the local nobles. They are now constantly reminded of the mighty protection their monarch enjoys. DS

1604b.jpg

Last edited:
Norrefeldt said:
I share your worry for our reputation, perhaps we should consider raising Aristocracy? [-0.7BB in 5 years! Arrghh. ]
Well, Venetian diplomacy was world-wide famous, yet all our Doges seem to be of the Autistic type. It is costing us a fortune to have a few friends. Perhaps they are not adequately rated in that respect. Many Doges were able diplomats before being elected.

dogalshield.png
Senators,

Boris Godunov, who took the throne of Russia after murdering the last of the Riurikovich, who enslaved the serfs of his country, has declared war to us.

1604c.jpg

The threat however appears not to be dire, to the point that Fodoroni has only recalled The Greek regiment to the front. The Russians do not appear to be well prepared for the campaign, and they have internal problems, as manifested by rebels controlling the nearby province of Donetsk.

We have also raised the level of readiness of our troops elsewhere. Our allies, Savoy, Jerusalem and Parma have not been asked to participate, as most of the fighting will be done in the Northern shores of the Black sea. The senate must decide what we should do with this new enemy, that has not been taken into account in our recent meetings.

I also have to inform that our conversion attempt failed in Trabzon. The troops of Colonel Cuthbertus III quelled the resulting rebellion. A new attempt by our bishop there has been financed.

We will also have to review our trading policies. After sending a single merchant to replace a lost one, France decided to close her markets to us. This is the third market closed to our merchants, and we are loosing a lot of revenue.

1605.jpg

Your Doge

Grimani2.gif
Marino Grimani, LXXXIX Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1604.
89.jpg

armes.gif

Senators,

This campaign against Russia is going to be so easy as to barely deserve a war report. Boris Godunov was crazy declaring war to us in the midst of the severe problems that are plaguing his country.

In the summer of 1604, a man declaring to be the assassinated son of Ivan the terrible, Dmitri Ivanovich, supported by Poles, Russian exiles, German mercenaries, and Cossacks, invaded Russia capturing several provinces. Why would Boris declared war to us while fighting an internal rebellion of such magnitude is beyond me, but he is going to pay dearly for his mistake.

While recruiting some more troops for Carlec's regiment defending Kaffa, I ordered Colonel Mikael Gatt to embark his regiment in Roberto Contarini's fleet in Smyrna, and invade defenceless Crimea province. The adjacent Russian province of Donetsk is in false Dmitri's hands, and the Russian army is nowhere to be seen, distracted probably by the many rebellions in the country.

Soon the situation worsened for our enemies. In April 1605, Boris Godunov died, and the cause of the false Dmitri acquired a lot of momentum. Boris' son, Fedor II Godunov did not appear to control the situation, and two months later he was killed by the boyars, that proclaimed the false Dmitri as their Tsar. The fact that Dmitri is a Catholic, and that the boyars are conspiring against him from day one, could continue to play in our favor.

However at the end of the summer, a small Russian army coming from the Baltic, managed to disembark in Piemonte. However we were not caught unprepared, and Arturo Gandolfi's regiment quickly defeated and later exterminated the invaders, while Admiral Almoravid found the Russian fleet and inflicted upon her a great defeat.

1605b.jpg

Just before the winter, Crimea was conquered by Mikael Gatt. He is awaiting there the coming of Spring to renew the campaign. The false Dmitri is already trying to bail out of the war declared by Boris Godunov, and has offered 71[,000] ducats as war indemnities. I think I could conquer the entire country in a few summer campaigns fighting mainly Russian rebels. Such is the situation in Russia. Clearly they are living a time of troubles.

1605c.jpg

The sickness of our Doge, said to be in his dead-bed, forces me to inform about matters usually dealt by the Signoria, but I must kept myself busy during the Russian winter pause. Marino Grimani's condition, together with recent troubles with the Church of Rome have triggered a wave of obscurantism. Our great morale and stability, should however allow us ride this wave without much trouble.

1605d.jpg

Respectfully,

Capitano Fodoroni

dogalshield.png
Senators,

Marino Grimani has died. I, Leonardo Donà, have been chosen as your new Doge.

1605e.jpg

Some of you know me from a long time, for those that do not know me, suffice to say that I have an ample career at the service of Venice. I am a laureate at the Universities of Padua and Bologna in philosophy and morale. Bailo at Costantinople, podestà of Brescia, savio del consiglio ducale, provveditore generale per la terra ferma and ambassador to the Holy See with Sixtus V.

However my strong sense of the independence of Venice from the Church, has taken me to defend that we have jurisdiction over Church members that have committed civil crimes. I have therefore supported the law established by my predecessor Marino Grimani that allowed the incarceration of two priests. The Pope has given us 24 days to release them to Church authorities and submit, or we will be excommunicated, and Venice will be placed under interdiction. No mass will be celebrated by priests. No sacred sacraments will be given. No one will be buried on Church grounds until we accept to submit to the Pope. I have asked the advice of Paolo Sarpi, a priest and Venetian patriot well renowned by his theological expertise and he had accepted to protest the Pope's decision if we so decide.

1606.jpg

A special election will immediately be held over this issue. I just want you to consider that the choice might not be a simple one. Stability is not such a decisive factor, since we are at maximal stability, while our innovativeness has to be considered also. In 1609 we will be reducing our innovativeness by senatorial decision. Current basic taxvalue in Veneto is 24.

your Doge,

Dona2.gif
Leonardo Donà, XC Dux Venetiarum. Mar. 1606.
90.gif

[size=+1]Election 68. War against Russia[/size]

State what we should request at the peace table
A. Only ducats
B. Crimea to be released as vassal
C. Crimea to be kept by Venice
D. At 1BB per province take the whole damm steppes

[size=+1]Election 69. Paolo Sarpi[/size]

A. Turn to Paolo Sarpi, do not compromise (Stab +2, Inno +1, BTV Veneto +2, relations PAP -100, FRA +100, SPA -50)
B. Turn to Paolo Sarpi, but compromise with Rome (Stab -1, BTV Veneto -2, relations PAP +30, FRA -30)
C. Submit fully to Rome (Stab -2, Inno -1, BTV Veneto -5, relations PAP +100, FRA -50, SPA +50)

[size=+1]Election 70. Closed Markets[/size]

One by one the markets are being closed to our merchants. To Liguria and Flandern, closed a long time ago, now Île de France has been added to the list of closed markets. I need information on how to deal with this issue. Trade agreements cost -1% trade efficiency, so they can be compensated by one refinery. From the following list of countries with a Center of Trade or more (now or in the future), that are likely to ban us:

-Spain (SPA)
-France (FRA)
-England (ENG)
-Denmark (DEN)
-Poland (POL)
-Genoa (GEN)
-Burgundy (BUR)
-Netherlands (HOL)
-Austria (HAB)
-Russia (RUS)
-Malacca (MLC)
-Oman (OMA)
-Ottoman Empire (TUR)

Divide them into the following groups:

1. Countries that we specifically do not want a trade agreement because we will want to use the CB.
2. Countries that we have no particular interest in having a trade agreement with them and we rather be banned.
3. Countries that we should try to have a trade agreement to avoid being banned in their CoT/s.

Portugal (POR) is already in group 3, but you can also vote having it changed. If not mentioned, it will count as group 3.
If another country is not mentioned, it will be counted as group 2.
Other Arab, African and Asian countries are a lot less likely to ban, so they are not mentioned, but feel free to give your input.

Cornaro_G.gif

Senator Gradenigo, a joy to hear your voice again in the August halls. My father spoke so highly of your father, when they long ago participating in the leadership of this august hall. I would dearly love to hear of your travels [ooc--did you really get to go to China and India? That must have been marvelous!] and it could bode us well in our efforts to expand into India. Indeed, how long as it been that you were away?

You ask about Genoa, our hated enemy--while the thought you raise has never been forgotten, our actions over the past 100 years has put Genoa into a position of heavily fortifying Corisca. We could, in the end, eliminate the island and then claim it as our own, but the cost would probably exceed 100,000 men to finally take the one island. Then, we'd have to wait another 5 years before we could attack (with the purpose of annexing) Genoa itself. Of course, as you know, annexing Genoa would do nothing but increase our poor reputation. I think we must satisfy ourselves, at least for now, in believing that we indeed HAVE delenda est Genoa. They are invisible on the world stage and are seen, if at all, as a shadow of the once proud city-state that they used to be. The war has been fought over the centuries by the ancient city-states of the old Roman Republic, AND WE HAVE EMERGED VICTORIOUS!! Genoa IS delenda est!

In the end, our forefathers made a decision regarding our future goals and the Senate has embarked upon those and accomplished those plans. In the process, we have shown restraint in areas such as the Balkans (much to my families' dismay) and against our ancient enemy "the once proud threat now reduced to a straw man" the Ottoman Empire. Our last war with both the Hapsburgs AND the Ottomans could have increased our empire by several provinces, yet we chose to limit our gains. Nonetheless, the rest of Europe looks poorly upon us.

Well, so be it--it was the choice of the Senate long ago and as such, we live with our present. We will maintain this level of reputation because I believe our future will see renewed conflict in Europe as both France and Russia grow AND as the proud Hapsburgs seek to shake off our yoke. As stated earlier by others, what should we do if attacked? Should we roll over? Should we waste the lives of young Venetians only to receive a few ducats by our enemies to end the war that we won, again and again? No, we attempt to show our enemy the error of their ways as we did with France in the early 1500s and we took Piedmonte as a border. Will they want it back? Perhaps now that they are recovering, but nonetheless we still took the land. And we did the same with Austria in regard to Tyrol? And if those choices bother some heads of state in Europe, well so be it! To defend Venice is always our aim and we will apologize to done over that choice!

No, our choice was made long ago to either be a great nation and have the responsibilities and the scorn of the world (who obviously has quickly forgotten that is was US, VENICE, who saved the world from being overrun by the infidel), OR to merely sit in silence near the Adriatic and watch the world pass us by. We MADE our choice and we TOOK our goals forward.

Cry little my friends over our reputation. We have done little for avarice or pride! We live now with our choices and we should not "shut down" for 200 years in some vain hope that our neighbors will like us. Having studied the history of nations, great and small, the facts are that nations are like people and most will only aid you in as much as it helps them and few will "take the sword" for you. And most remain jealous over the greatness of others, even when it was once true that the rich nation was once small. So, we can sit back for 200 years and in the end, our reputation may have increased, but our descendants will not think kindly of us. And the other nations will still look at us with derision.

My apologies for once again speaking too long. Dear Senator Gradenigo, welcome home and we pray to St. Mark that we will hear your voice often in these halls!

Fellow Senators,

Let not be blinded by our might, for should we ever abuse of it, we will greatly regret it. The steppes are not rich enough to provide us a wealth that could replace our reputation, or what's left of it. Freeing the inhabitants of Crimea might be our best bet, as this would at least delay Russia in their race to our borders.

Senator Cornaro, I thank you for your welcome. My travels were long, several decades, and should I have time, I will try to synthetize them
(ooc - I'll maybe write an AAR).

As for the second matter, do not compromise our honor on such lowly matters. Our independence is guaranteed by our might, not by any Pope.

On the mercantile front, I think every case is dependent on casual circumstances. True, being banned from trade can be used by us as a casus belli, but are we in a position to go to war ? No, our reputation is already too badly hurt, we cannot afford to use every casus belli we might receive. There're always possibilities to find other excuses to wage war, so better refrain from such a warlike mindset.

So did I speak,
Senator Alessandro Gradenigo

Code:
[SIZE=3]Election 68. War against Russia[/SIZE]
State what we should request at the peace table

[SIZE=3]Election 69. Paolo Sarpi[/SIZE]
A. Turn to Paolo Sarpi, do not compromise (Stab +2, Inno +1, BTV Veneto +2, relations PAP -100, FRA +100, SPA -50)

[SIZE=3]Election 70. Closed Markets[/SIZE]
2. All countries having one CoT
3. All countries having two or more CoTs

Doge, is it possible to expand upon your list of CoTs based, as Senator Gradenigo has alluded, to show us who has multiple CoTs? I suppose we could guess. Or, if you are happy with the general position of Gradenigo's vote, then I could happily vote that way and allow you latitude.

As for the Papal issue, many of you probably have forgotten the Papal States arrogant behavior against my family in the late 1400s. We have not! Were it not for our respect to our reputation, we would have happily argued for the full annexation of Rome. However, politics must play a role in this decision. I will not vote yet, but would rather hear the arguments, but allow me to offer an observation.

We have decided to lower innovation down to narrowminded in order to increase our chances within the colonization field.
We have lamented the fact that our old ally Spain doesn't like us right now.
France already hates us, so a decline in relation won't change things, but of course the +100 for that country [option #1] would possibly help.

The tax value thing is what I wonder about. I've never been too wise in this area, leaving our families fortunes in the hands of our hired mathmaticians. It would seem that lowering the tax value by 5 is a huge price to pay. But we are rich, so perhaps not.

In my heart, I detest giving in at all to the Pope, though obviously this is a different Pope, a different century. But gaining another step in narrowminded could speed our focus on colonization.

I must hear from some others.

Election 68
D--take the whol. . . whoops, sorry, forgot I wanted peace :rofl:

B. I would actually rather argue for C, but since we've decided long ago to NOT take the Balkan lands and we'll never see a land bridge to Kerch, there's no point in it.

B, I tell you, B--free the poor people!

Code:
[b][size=+1][color=BurlyWood]Election 68. War against Russia[/color][/size][/b]

We need no borders with Russia or Poland, for we need no wars with them.

Code:
[b][size=+1][color=BurlyWood]Election 69. Paolo Sarpi[/color][/size][/b]

A. Turn to Paolo Sarpi, do not compromise
The step towards innovativeness is the lesser of the evils. I need to think some more before I vote in 70th elections.

Respected Senator Cornaro,

A Pope is a Pope, no more, no less. Popes should only have spiritual power, not temporal power, so I agree with you, we need to directly administer the lands of the Papal States.

You are right, the decrease of taxes might not be serious enough to threaten our position - but it's a matter of principles. The Serenissima Repubblica bows to no one, even a Doge (as Marino Falieri was reminded of, long ago), and especially not a foreigner prince.

More important is the effect that submission would have on the authority of the Senate. This would weaken the respect our citizens have for our noble Assembly, and for the position of our Doge. This could lead to dissensions, or even open revolts on the marches of our lands, and it would take years, if not decades, to reconcile us with the citizens.

Moreover, the difference between submission and independence would allow us to raise, say, 2000 soldiers each year for our armies, or a warship every two years. I do not call this irrelevant. Small streams make large rivers - or so said my great-great-great-great-great-great-grand-uncle Enrido Dandolo.

So, I beg thee - all of you, noble Senators - : do not allow the Serenissima Repubblica to fall into submission.

Barbarigo.gif

Cataldo Barbarigo​

Election 68.
A (ducats)
Sunni Crimea seems untrustworthy as vassal, and is also rather poor.

Election 69.
A (do not compromise)

Election 70.
1. Countries that we specifically do not want a trade agreement because we will want to use the CB.
GEN, MLC, OMA, TUR (what COT do they own?)
2. Countries that we have no particular interest in having a trade agreement with them and we rather be banned.
FRA, ENG, DEN, POL, BUR, HAB, RUS
3. Countries that we should try to have a trade agreement to avoid being banned in their CoT/s.
SPA, POR, HOL,
I think only nations with possible rich colonial COT's should be chosen for trade agreements. What nations above do not yet have the trade tech (4) to ban?

banned in their CoT/s.
Code:
Election 70
1. Genoa, Malacca, Poland, Ottoman Empire
2. Denmark, Russia, Oman, Portugal, Netherlands, Burgundy
3. France, Spain, England, Austria
The rich CoTs of France, Spain or England shall not be lost. If a center of trade appeared - or will appear in Austria, we could use a trade agreement to destroy it and ensure health of Venetian market. I also think that the CoT in Livland (if there is one) could be claimed for the republic, as it is not located in a capital, and so is the fabulously rich CoT in Malacca. Both conquests could be profitable for Serenissima. A c.b. against Genoa is necessary for obvious reasons, and I'd also like one against the Ottomans, so that we can help Jerusalem to expand in Levant.