• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Svantevid said:
You say to concentrate on infrastructure, yet you put 100% into military reasearch?

:eek:o Oops, I should read better. :eek:o
Well, I'll just edit it... :rolleyes:

A heavy thumping was heard throughout the cafe. The various conversations came to a stop and all looked towards the temporary podium.

Hear ye, hear ye--the Senate of the great Republic of Venice is now in order. Business has been laid on the table before this august assembly and is now in need of voting. All Senators, of new families and old, long in the Senate or Freshman Senators, are commanded to come to the vote. The Republic is in need of your direction. Cast your vote now.

Hey guys, the last vote was up a week ago and only 5 of us have voted. Everyone needs to chime in. I'm dying here to crank back up. Its been the longest August ever waiting and wishing Fodoron was back from vacation. Now we are; let's rock on.

And any readers or lurkers, please feel free to join us. You really don't need to know anything EXCEPT EU2 and heck, even if you are new to that, you can still chime in with votes and opinions. Its all pretty painless.

With a big slam the doors of the senate entrance are opened. A tall figure walks onto the senate floor, his face covered by his capuchon. He stops in the middle of the floor as all senators present in the senate gaze upon him.

"What is your business here, stranger?! Explain yourself before the guards arrive!", says the Doge.

A silence fills the room. Only in the distance can the guards be heard running down the hall.

The man throws off his cape and gives a glance at all preciding senators.

"Is this the kind of welcome all veterans get?"

The senators look in awe as they recognize the man. Senator Contarini, the head of the famous Contarini family has returned to the senate.

"What a glorious day! Senator Contarini you are most welcome!"

All senators jump of their seats and salute their old comrade. Senator Contarini explains his absence for so many a years and a crowd gathers on the senate floor. After several minutes the Doge restores the order.

"After this glorious news, we now must return to the voting at hand. Election 60 and 61 are still undecided, and i urge all senators to cast their vote."
Senator Contarini felt as if he had never left and casted his vote.

Code:
Election 60
1. Hungary, Spain, Bosnia, Savoy
2. Bulgaria, Russia, Netherlands
3. OE, Austria, Portugal
4. Genoa, Indian states
5. Peace

Code:
Election 61
1. 15%
2. 30%
3. 20%
4. B, C, D, A, E, G, F, H
5. B

OOC: I just saw the thread and decided to join. Hope no-one already got this guy, ill pick another one then. Maybe i say a lot of dumb things but here it goes.

Cornaro_G.gif

Senator Contraini, so wonderful to see you back from the front lines of our victorious wars Your experience will be so important to our decisions. Well met again friend.

Who else needs to contribute to the voting at hand? Doge, are we close to a decision?

[ooc--Fodoron should have somewhere the link for you to get the gif of the Contraini family.]

OOC:
Just returned from a business trip. Tomorrow I'll have time to read the last entries and vote for the Pesaro family. Would be nice if the Consiglio could wait these few hours... .

Prussian_King said:
Doge, I have only just returned from my family's country estate south of the capital. I was shocked to find I had missed an election. Thes deriliction of duty will not happen again.

Senator Gatt

Better hurry :rolleyes: :D

The Suebian said:
OOC:
Just returned from a business trip. Tomorrow I'll have time to read the last entries and vote for the Pesaro family. Would be nice if the Consiglio could wait these few hours... .
Considering the low numbers of votes I wouldn't mind waiting for you to add yours. There are so many different possibilities available for our Republic, that every opinion is needed to find the right path.

Good to see you here Senator Contraini!

You are most welcome in your return to the Serenissima, senator Contarini. I used to play with your father at school, and I am glad to see his son taking responsability in the government of our Republic. You will receive shortly your coat of arms to be used at will in your senatorial interventions.

Senators, I knew these first sessions would require extra time, but we must hurry as our enemies never rest. In the last days rumors abound that the Emperor of the Romans is arming and financing the Uskok scum to attack our merchants and even assault and pillage our cities in Istria and Dalmatia. The Uskoks are Christian croats at the service of the Habsburg that raid and attack Ottoman lands and ships. If the rumors are true, and they are turning against us, I shall complain to the Imperial Diet and demand they are stopped or face the consequences.

At present the problem does not appear serious and can be contained by naming admiral Ermolao Tiepolo as "capitano contro Uscocchi" to patrol the Morlakian channel (canale della Morlacca), that separates the Dalmatian coast from the islands where they hide, but I will keep a close watch on the problem during the rest of my tenure.

NOTE: sw_myers was senator Enrico Contarini in July. We ignore if he is still around. As I have said before there is no problem in several senators being from the same family, as Venice was terribly endogamic, and every family had multiple branches, and many senators were related. Your name should not be Enrico to avoid confusions, though.

Last edited:
Pesaro.gif
Noble members of the Consiglio Maggiore,

First I've to excuse myself for my delayed arrival – business back in the South always seems to take longer than necessary.

Second I want to welcome Senator Roberto Contarini. As you're a soldier I just want to advice you not to see in the Consiglio chambers anything else than a battlefield. Unfortunately, the fronts in here are seldom as clear as they should be.

At the moment, I can't see anything Venice could gain from any interference with other European nations. Adding the new Bosnian state to our hegemony could surely do no harm, but there are more important things which have to come first.
The price we paid in ducats and blood to open the gates to India was high, and it is time to make profit now. Let's build our base in Kerala, pacify our Egyptian supply routes and then take possession of Southern India. The sooner, the better.

Regards,
Angelo Pesaro

Election 60:

Dear Friends: Spain, Savoy
Friends:Bulgaria, Bosnia, Papal State
Adversaries: Austria, Ottoman Empire, Hungary
Enemies: India
War: Yes (to conquer Southern India, only with CB)

Election 61:

1, 10%
2, 40%
3, 25%
4, D, B, C, E, G, A (Ref), F, H
5, B (East)

Dear senators,

The elections are closed. Here are the decisions that should guide us in the next years:

Election 60. 1579-1589 International Situation
1. Dear Friends. Spain (6/7 votes), Bosnia (6/7 votes), Savoy (6/7 votes)
2. Friends (with carry over from 1). Bulgaria (7/7 votes), Papal States (5/7 votes)
3. Adversaries (with carry over from 4). Ottoman empire (7/7 votes), Genoa (6/7 votes), Austria (4/7 votes), Portugal (4/7 votes).
4. Enemies. Vijayanagar (5/7 votes), Rajputana (4/7 votes)
5. Warmonger clause. We decided peace (5/7 votes)

Election 61. Economic Priorities and Research
1. Minting at 15%
2. Military research (Land + Naval) at 30%. Economical research at 55%
3. Land military research at 20%. Naval research at 10%
4. Our priorities regarding investments are:
  • B- Conversion of Kaffa
  • D- Colonization of Kerala
  • C- Conversion of Cataract
  • A- Construction of a manufactory (refinery)
  • G- Rebuilding of the high seas fleet
  • E- Colonization of Louga
  • F- Defensive fortress in Tirol
  • H- Buying of maps of Asia from some Indian principality
5. When we receive an explorer, we should send him towards East:
B) The West African Coast, around the Cape of Good Hope and towards our Indian possesions

In February 1579, we will decrease our innovativeness, as was decided in election 58.

I would also like to point something to you:
1563-1565 War against Austria
1571-1574 War against Austria
In July 1579 our truce with Austria will expire. Time for round three? We shall find out soon enough.

Your Doge

Contarini.gif
Noble members of the Consiglio Maggiore,

First I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome I have received upon my return home, my beloved Venice.

My return home has also brought me back to the Senate in which my father has served for many a years. Our family has served both the Senate and the army well, as myself and other relatives have fought in campaigns defending Venice honor. These campaigns have costs us dearly, and our family therefore cannot support another campaign against any of our European adversaires. If there are any possibilities of expansion then these should be made by a political and diplomatical road.

The expansion in the East will hopefully provide us with more economical resources to expand our industries. Investments are now made in our own economical development which will provide us with more resources to further expand and strengthen our nation.

Regards,
Roberto Contarini

Cornaro_G.gif

Senator Contarini, you are most right to suggest a diplomatic solution with any future conflicts. However, my brother Senators, we also will be prepared to vigorously defend ourselves. We need to remind ourselves that it was the Austrians, not the Venetians, who betrayed the other and declared war on us. It was the Austrians, the haughty Hapsburgs, who have long lusted after our land, in particular our homeland. Yes, we have expanded, but NEVER towards them. And it was the Austrians who, when we were yet again involved in a holy crusade against the infidel, betrayed our great faith and not only did not aid the cause, but struck at us again.

Now, due to that last betrayal, we did decide to take the mountains of Tyrol as a defense against her, using her own land against her. I personally did not agree, but we did make that decision. Perhaps that will cost us another war where diplomacy has failed, but we must all remember that these wars have been declared on us.

Perhaps it is our fate to find ourselves so close to a power that lusts so easily for land. Perhaps it is our fate because of our own growth, but I think not. Were we merely a small Republic of 1 or 2 provinces, the Hapsburgs have long displayed a hunger for power and more land and they would still attack us. We are thus fortunate to have the power to oppose them.

Thus, we must accept the role our forefathers ordained for us. And if the Hapsburgs decide to continue this foolish quest when all evidence shows them that we would not attack them, then perhaps it must become our destiny to eliminate them as a rival.

Once, long ago, France was a major power in Europe and they too saw us as a rival and attacked. It was only the wise military action of our Capitano Fodoroni combined with the brilliant diplomacy of our Senate to invite Spain to join us that allowed us to defeat the more powerful French in two wars. Gladly, they did not come back; they saw we had no designs on their land. Hopefully the Hapsburgs will notice and not attempt a third round. But mark my words, if they come back again, then prepare for a lifetime of conflict unless WE decide to eliminate the nuisance.

I do not want war. I voted peace gladly and will do so again for the foreseeable future. But if your principles dictate an independent Republic and Austria continues to lust for our land, then war will be the only way. It will have come to that!

dogalshield.png

Senator Cornaro, your words prove once more to be prophetic. Rudolf II, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and Archduke of Austria has declared war to us, bringing with him half of the electors of the empire to the battlefield. Armies of Austria, Bavaria, Cleves and Berg are marching towards Tirol, where the army of Giulio Savorgnan has been forced to retreat or face annihilation. More Austrian forces are crossing the Austro-Venetian border in Istria, assaulting the walls of Trieste, with the help of Uskok marauders from Senj.

Yes, senators, we are at war. I have left the military operations in the hands of our capitano generale Fodoroni. I long for the times of the warrior Doges. I dream of imitating our revered Enrico Dandolo and assault the walls of Vienna with our war-cry "Saint Mark" in my mouth. But alas, I am a mere prisoner of the Council of Ten. However I do have the power of diplomacy in my hands. The Senate has entrusted me with the task of bringing the Duke of Savoy, Charles Emmanuel I to our side. Perhaps he can be won to our cause with expensive gifts.

Fodoroni will soon send reports from the front. I have been informed that he has ordered a general retreat to await for the right occasion for a counter-strike directed to the heart of the empire. That filthy empire whose safety was ensured by us when we defeated the heathen waves that assaulted Christianity. Already Wallachia has joined the ranks of nations that are declaring independence from the Sultan. Our policy has brought freedom to the Balkans, yet we must continue paying the blood price to deter another tyrant.

Citizens of Venice, to the barricades!, to the barricades!.

Your afflicted Doge,

DaPonte2.gif
Niccolò Da Ponte, LXXXVII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1580.
87.jpg

Barbarigo.gif
Aureo Barbarigo​

The Germans are a plague to Italy! If Fodorini thinks we are strong enough I suggest we try to vassalize a few of them (Bavaria perhaps?). That will of course be very costly in time and money, but fighting renewed wars against all our northern neighbours is ruinous!

Norrefeldt said:
The Germans are a plague to Italy! If Fodorini thinks we are strong enough I suggest we try to vassalize a few of them (Bavaria perhaps?). That will of course be very costly in time and money, but fighting renewed wars against all our northern neighbours is ruinous!

I echo these thoughts my Doge. By vasselizing some, it keeps us from taking land that we say we do not want (the further north our lands extend, the more likely we get drug further in). Bavaria would be an excellent choice.

To arms Fodoroni, people of Venice--we sought peace, but Mars has found us again. We should strive to make this war the last one! Recruit and spend as you need Doge!

carlec said:
I echo these thoughts my Doge. By vasselizing some, it keeps us from taking land that we say we do not want (the further north our lands extend, the more likely we get drug further in). Bavaria would be an excellent choice.

To arms Fodoroni, people of Venice--we sought peace, but Mars has found us again. We should strive to make this war the last one! Recruit and spend as you need Doge!
This will be the last time our northern foes have blatently attacked us. We must advance north and protect our lands against these cowardly attacks. Vasalizing is the best option Doge.

We ride out once more, for the future of Venice. May god bless our men and women.