Join the Democratic BAR
The Democratic before action report is an EU2 game where everybody gets to participate. It is also an experiment in democracy, where you (the readers) vote on all the policies (domestic, economical, religious, military) that an EU2 game requires from the player.
The readers decided on November 2004 that we were going to play Venice on very hard/normal in the AGCEEP grand campaign. Then they constituted the Council of Ten or Venetian Senate and became senators. I took the role of the Capitano Generale (chief commander) and of the Doge of Venice, one for the game military point of view and the other for the game historical and political points of view.
We have two threads. In this one reports are issued about the game, policies and historic events are discussed and voted.
In the brother thread:
we post what usually goes into an AAR. A semi-historical account of what takes place in the game.
You are encouraged to join us at any time to vote in one election, to post your comments and opinions, or to simply say if you like it or not, as in any other AAR. It is not necessary, but if you find yourself enjoying it and want to get into character, you can adopt a Venetian noble family. Here you can find a list with some famous families of Venice.
A final book that will have both threads narrated into the story of the AAR will be made at the end. If you want to see a sample of how it will look, I hanged a first draft of the first 8 pages here
This post also constitutes the table of contents of this thread. Below you can navigate easily through the thread:
the original rules:
1. Membership of the council. Everybody can be a member of the council just by posting. One person one vote. Experience schmerience, Peter Ebessen's vote counts as much as a first day recruit. This is democracy.
2. Field Commander rules (that's me). I will play a maximum of 5 years per session, there is no minimum limit. I will try not to take any decision unless required to play the session. I will have freedom over the armies and navies according to the war strategies outlined by the council. After a session I will issue a report as complete as possible with pics for the council to evaluate performance.
3. Mechanics of votations. A period of time not inferior to 48 hours and not superior to one week (except vacations or trips) will be opened for discussions after every report. I will then present all the choices to the members and a period of time not inferior to 48 hours and not superior to one week will be opened for casting the votes. The results will be reported with a period of 24 hours for comments or reclamations. After that, the next round of year/s will be played as soon as feasible (we all have families and works to distract us from EU2).
4. Safevalve clause. I reserve the right of cancellation or postponement if the number of active members in the council drops below five. The democracy becomes an oligarchy.
5. The game will be played on a vanilla version of EU2. 1.08. I play on a mac, so no betas available. Only scenario available is AGCEEP (version unknown, could be 1.34 or 1.32) in case you want that one.
Votation rules. Please read them.
Participant rules Please read them.
B. Country, game settings and specific policies
Election 1: Country. Closed. We will be playing Venice
Election 2: Game settings. Closed. We will be playing at very hard, normal.
Election 14: War/Peace policies. Closed.
Election 4: 1419 Hungarian war strategy. Closed. We have to gain Dalmatia.
Election 8: Byzantine Empire Policy. Closed. We have to conquer Thrace.
Election 15: War on Saxony. Closed. No war was declared.
Election 19: The Ottoman Menace. Closed. War was decided.
Election 20: The Albanian Question. Closed. War and vassalization decided.
Election 21: War on the Ottoman Empire. Closed. We are to request Macedonia and Kosovo
Election 26: Defensive war on Tyrol. Closed. We are to request Lombardia
Election 29: Casus belli on the Ottoman Empire. Closed. We are not to declare war.
Election 32: Casus belli on Genoa. Closed. War was decided.
Election 38: The annexion of Albania. Closed. Albania will be annexed.
Election 40: League of Cambrai Crisis. Closed.
Election 45: Maps to know the World. Closed.
C. Game reports
Here you can review how the game is proceeding. Every 5 years I issue one general report. The summaries are a year by year account on what happened. "Il Senato della Republica Venetiana: Collaborative AAR" usually has more detail and pics.
D. Scheduled elections
Election 3: 1419-1439 Domestic policies. Closed.
Election 12: 1449-1469 Domestic policies. Closed.
Election 27: 1479-1499 Domestic policies. Closed.
Election 37: 1509-1529 Domestic policies. Closed.
Election 48: 1539-1559 Domestic policies. Closed.
Election 5: 1419-1429 International policies. Closed.
Election 9: 1429-1439 International policies. Closed.
Election 10: 1439-1449 International policies. Closed.
Election 13: 1449-1459 International policies. Closed.
Election 18: 1459-1469 International policies. Closed.
Election 22: 1469-1479 International policies. Closed.
Election 28: 1479-1489 International policies. Closed.
Election 30: 1489-1499 International policies. Closed.
Election 34: 1499-1509 International policies. Closed.
Election 36: 1509-1519 International policies. Closed.
Election 41: 1519-1529 International policies. Closed.
Election 43: 1529-1539 International policies. Closed.
Election 47: 1539-1549 International policies. Closed.
Election 6: 1419-1444 Research priorities. Closed.
Election 11: 1444-1469 Research priorities. Closed.
Election 23: 1469-1499 Research priorities. Closed.
Election 33: 1499-1529 Research priorities. Closed.
Election 17: Manufactory decision. Closed.
Election 7: 1419-1469 Economic priorities. Closed.
Election 24: 1469-1519 Economic priorities. Closed.
Election 42: 1519-1549 Economic priorities. Closed.
Election 31: Extraordinary expenditures. Closed
Election 35: Trade Diplomacy. Closed.
Election 44: Military Research priorities. Closed.
Election 46: Economical Choices and more. Closed.
Election 39: 1515-1565 Long Term Goals. Closed.
E. Open elections. You can participe here.
Election 48b: Offensiveness Domestic policy. Still Open.
Election 49: 1549-1559 International policies. Still Open.