• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Roaming ‘Round The World Part 8
1613 - 1637​

Well, Engel was back at stage one… Both major wars in the last few years had been lost and honour tattered. His honour needed to be regained and the only way was through Malacca…

Of course Portugal had no chance against the Scandinavian alliance so Engel went about his unholy ways and arranged a meeting with SGA and Tile (Van Engel’s opposite numbers in England and Holland) to maybe be able to counter Denmark and Sweden in NA and Indonesia.

Van Engel: Good afternoon gentlemen, I’ve called this counsel to come to a decision about the danger of Sweden and Denmark and in the long run France. But first I welcome Tile to world politics and hope we can stay friend for at least a while.
Tile: Thanks.
SGA: Well I’m a bit annoyed of the Danish creeping into NA whilst England was AI. Also Subquehanna should be mine.
Van Engel: Should? You mean you’re all up for war?
SGA: Of course, as long as it includes Denmark.
Van Engel: What about you Tile?
Tile: Well I don’t want to be out of my depth here… But I do want to show the world at least some strength of arms, so yea, I’m in too.
Van Engel: Great, well gentlemen, it looks like we have an agreement. We will DoW the Scandinavian alliance and demand Subquehanna and Malacca from them. Agreed?
SGA and Tile: Agreed!
Van Engel: Well I’ll set the DoW date at July. Make sure you all have a massive treasury by then.
Tile: NP, See you people in Lisboa for the victory banquet!

So for the next 2 years Portugal minted, built ships and trained the army up to 80 000 (just above the supply limit) and England and Netherlands to similar amounts, the fleet in total between the 3 countries was about 150 ships, certainly enough to break through the Sund.

2 years later, after the meeting, war was finally declared by England on Denmark, joined by Portugal and Netherlands. Sweden joined on the Danish side as expected. In Indonesia the war was over fairly quickly, 4 major battles in Malaysia and one major sea battle in the straits of Malacca, saw the destruction of the Swedish army and the Swedish fleet humbled and in no state to engage the Portuguese fleet. 3 years later and nearly all cities in Indonesia and Malaysia had been taken, with exception of the eastern islands or Flores.

1626-indonesia1.jpg

Perak is taken

1626-indonesia.jpg

Malay is nearly under Portuguese control

In North America, the war was harder for England. Denmark had not been taken totally unawares and the army in America was not as small as expected. Christian IV himself was shipped out to Manhattan to fight the defence there. England was having a hard time beating the Danish and it was a draw until Portuguese reinforcements were brought in from Portugal. After this, Denmark was on the run most of the time and finally Christian was injured and taken down. Danish America was in flames and in Portuguese and Englsih hands.

In Europe, the war was centred around the Sund and in the Netherlands. An early push into Germany by Netherlands was pushed back by Swedish and Danish troops and after a short while, Tile was in need of more help with most of Holland under siege. Portuguese and English troops finally got the upper hand there after the defeat of Denmark in America and soon peace was ready to be signed.

Denmark was offered to hand over Subquehanna for peace and so excepted, leaving just Sweden. England though had no men left, Portugal not much either and Holland was in a mess with German minors. After a few tries breaking into the Baltic, Van Engel realized that Malacca had slipped away from him again. (with only +4 WS with all of Indonesia in Portuguese hands!) and again a white peace was signed.

1632-baltic.jpg

Retreat from Germany after peace is signed

So ended the 2nd war with Sweden, with no benefit for Portugal, except the knowledge that Tile could prove himself. Again, focus was shifted back to trade and colonization, but few colonies where built up a lot but, trade on the other hand was pushed up a lot, with trade income increasing by 20d.

Wars in Europe on the whole had been few, just the occasional war between Spain and France.

Roaming ‘Round The World Part 9
1637 - 1652​

Well after the last useless war with Sweden it looked like another one would have to follow to get Malacca, Malacca is seemed was becoming a very expensive CoT.

Luckily for Van Engel, Seen was away again and Sweden was being ruled by his “regent” Mesphito. He wasn’t as competent and Seen and had left Sweden wide open to attack. Portugal had twice as many men and a few more ships overall, so it looked like a great chance for Engel, one quick war could get him his, by now, well deserved CoT with help maybe from Russia or Denmark to keep him busy.

Van Engel decided to ask Russia to help out and so went to the Russian court in Moscow to see Maciej, the Russian advisor.

Maciej: Welcome Engel, to Moscow.
Van Engel: Thanks for having me Maciej.
Maciej: No problem.
Van Engel: Well getting down to business, Sweden, how can we beat it hard?
Maciej: well, if I help out victory is pretty much assured, just the Turks might try to cause problems in the south.
Van Engel: Don’t worry about that, I’ll speak to Enigma, he should leave you alone.
Maciej: Well then, I’ll help as long as you pay me abit.
Van Engel: Sure, just give me 1 year to build and mint and we’ll DoW.
Maciej: Great! And good luck in Indonesia Engel!
Van Engel: You too Maciej.

So with Russia on Portugal’s side, the way was clear to Malacca. A quick survey of Indonesia showed about 8 000 men in total, a walk over then.

1 year later, Van Engel DoWed the kingdom of Sweden, with Russia DoWing 1 month later. The little resistance in Malay was pitiful and quickly run over, after only one defeat.

1646-indoneisa.jpg

Russia on the other hand was having a hard time with Sweden. Niether army being able to stay in the other country for a longish period of time, so a white peace was signed between Russia and Sweden.

After Malay was taken, men in Europe were trained to move up north into the Baltic sea, to take North Germany from the Swedes. Without any problems, the fleet pushed through the Sound and unloaded a small army of 25 000. In no time they had taken Vor- and Hinterpommern and Kustrin. Demands were sent to the Swedish King and peace was signed, Malacca was at last in Portuguese hands.

1646-baltic.jpg

The next few years were used to rebuild the economy (not that much damage due to the easy war.) and strengthen the army and navy, also at last fortifications in Brazil were built, and the native clearance of the Amazon Basin began with the newly formed Brazilian Regiment.

King of Croatia said:
When will you post the next instalment Van Engel?
:eek:o Um, next week I guess, after christmas. Atm I have alot on my plate, exam's, girls, work, school etc. :)

Ok, I've dicided to let this AAR rest in peace, I've lost all interest in writing it (not the game ofcourse) and since I was doing it from memory anyway (yes, that is how I write) it would be very hard to write.

Ofcourse I'm gonna start a new one soon, hopefully I can keep that one going. :)

Van Engel said:
Ok, I've dicided to let this AAR rest in peace, I've lost all interest in writing it (not the game ofcourse) and since I was doing it from memory anyway (yes, that is how I write) it would be very hard to write.

Ofcourse I'm gonna start a new one soon, hopefully I can keep that one going. :)

oh my :rolleyes:
oh my :rolleyes:

you're slowly building up a reputation of being a writer who never finishes his work :rolleyes:
gee
first the danish one :rolleyes: , then this one :rolleyes:

von Loch Ness said:
it's all his fault, i tell ya :D :D :D
GUILTY all the way!
Bleh, it's Matija's fault. Blame him. Anyway I was actually gonna finish that AAR, without Flame of Udun, VLN and Matija, abit more reliable to finish then. ;) :D

Van Engel said:
Bleh, it's Matija's fault. Blame him. Anyway I was actually gonna finish that AAR, without Flame of Udun, VLN and Matija, abit more reliable to finish then. ;) :D
you'd have to buy out the copyrights from us first though :D
contact me on MSN to get my bank account number please :D