• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Van Engel

Buitenlander
54 Badges
Dec 21, 2003
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
A new AAR by Van Engel. :) Well this one is different because its from a MP game so unfortunatly no EC's/WC's or whatever. ;) (not that I would be able to do them anyway. ;) This AAR is from the ER2 game on Friday nights from 20:00 CET.
Playing Sheet. so you know what retards I'm up against.
Enigma - Ottoman Empire
SGA - England
Van Engel - Portugal
Maciej - Russia
Ironfounderson - France
Flamey - Spain
Lord Ederon - Austria
Seen - Sweden
Elio Vasa - Poland
Currently without a Perm :( - Denmark
Tile - Netherlands

A few Game Stats.
Country - Guess what! :p
Scenario - PE 1492
Settings - Normal/Normal

First Chapter will come tomorrow, I'm too tired to do it now. :eek:o :)

Last edited:
Good luck!
And if you want to read a SP Portuguese AAR, just follow my sig (AAR advertising ;) )

Hastu Neon said:
Good luck!
And if you want to read a SP Portuguese AAR, just follow my sig (AAR advertising ;) )
Thanks, Hastu, I'm actually a ReadAAR of your AAR, but never post. :)

Roaming ‘Round The World

* 2nd October 2004 – In an Underground Bunker of The History Society in the Middle of No-Where. *

President of the History Society: Man why is World history so boring? We really need to do something about this.

Old Member: Why do all you whippersnappers always think world History is boring?

Young Member: Because it normally is. Only 1 or 2 major
wars that are fairly blood thirsty. What we need is a way of making it more exciting, so younger people will enjoy it.

Mad Member: What if we designed a game starting in 1419 till 1819 so people can relive it for their selves?

Sensible Member: Nah it would never catch on, who would want to play a boring game like that? :)D)

President: Well I have been thinking about this subject a lot lately and here is a man to explain my idea to you.

* In walks a mad looking Scientist. *

Von Loch Ness: Hello all History Society Members, I’m Loch Ness and I’ve come up with a foolproof idea. What we do is send back 11-12 people who can influence powerful states in Europe it can’t fail!

Young Member: But whom would we send back? How would we decide?

Von Loch Ness: Well the maddest members would go of course and the President has made a list depending on your knowledge of these countries.

President: Right these are the people I have chosen: Enigma in the Ottoman Empire, SGA in England, Flame of Udûn in Spain, Maciej in Russia, Ironfoundersson in France, Lord Ederon in Austria, Elio Vasa in Poland, Seen in Sweden, Chas in Denmark, Pibe (if he ever turns up for a meeting) in Brandenburg and of course our best member and historian Van Engel in Portugal. All of you will be in contact with each other via a new communication called * Instant Messenger* Good luck everyone, if you follow Von Loch Ness through to his * safe * machine in the next room, your mission will start. I hope you save history from Boredom!

ScreenSave6.jpg

Boring Europe in 1492.

von Loch Ness said:
i have no idea why you need me in your AAR and what i'm supposed to do, but i claim no responsibility for any of this von Loch Ness's actions :)
Your the mad Scientist. :p

Roaming ‘Round The World Part 1
1492 - 1505​

* In The Portuguese Court In Lisboa *

Joao II: So, basically what you’re saying is unless you help me, history will be as boring as hell?
Van Engel: Yeah basically. I have been given special powers, including; longevity, sightseeing and political greatness. So with my help Portugal will be a great nation.
Joao II: Don’t believe ya, you’re just another Heretic. Shall I tell you what we do with heretics? We send them to Tangiers.
Van Engel: Ok, fine deport me to Tangiers and history will be doomed forever!
Joao II: Ok no-problemo, GUARDS!! Take him away.

* Van Engel Wrestles with the guards *

Van Engel: Ok, ok fine, what will you believe?
Joao II: That you’re a really smart Venetian who is gifted in Diplomacy.
Van Engel: What I really meant was I’m a really smart Venetian gifted in Diplomacy.
Joao II: Oh great we need one of those, welcome aboard!
Van Engel (whispering):Oh God he’s dumb
Joao II: sorry what was that?
Van Engel: Nothing, nothing, when do I start?
Joao II: Straight away, we have a little bit of diplomacy with the Spanish to do, something about Tangiers.
Van Engel: Ok great, I’ll get on it!

***​

* In the Spanish Court *

As Van Engel walks into the court he sees his good friend and college Flamey standing slightly behind the Drag Queen known as ‘Isabel y Fernando’.

Isabel y Fernando: Welcome to our court Van Engel
Van Engel: I thank you my… king… ur… lady? Isabel y Fernando (Turning slightly red): King…Van Engel: Thank you O king. Well getting down to business, Tangiers, why do you want it?
Isabel y Fernando: Well, as you know there is a recently discovered passage between Tangiers and Gibraltar. If you sell us it to us, we can draw manpower from North Africa.

* Van Engel nods like he knows what Isabel y Fernando is on about *

Van Engel: Yep sure, whatever you want. But we need some cash… How about 500d?
Isabel y Fernando: Great! Well you will have the money in 5 years don’t worry, in the mean time we’re gonna DoW Morocco so you need to leave now so the arabs can have their say. Van Engel: Great, plus Joao wants you round for tea, so have your people write to mine.
Isabel y Fernando: Good good. Farewell!

***​

* Back in Lisboa *

Joao II: Right well-done Van E. Can I call you that?
Van Engel: Well actually…
Joao II: Great! Well Van E. your job is done for a bit, though if you hang around for a sec, you will meat our trepid explorers.
Van E.: Yep, great I can sort out too what we will explore.

* After 10 minutes, a man jumps through the doors dressed as a pirate *

Diaz (lifting up his fake eye-patch): Well hello everyone!
Joao II: Hey! You up to play some pirates? I’ve bought a new cutlass!
Diaz: I’ll take you up on that some time, but first I have to go on a trip to India. ARGGH!
Joao II (Trying to look cool): ARGGGH mi harties!
Diaz: Yeah whatever… (Turning to Van Engel) Right you must be the new guy around here and you have my orders.
Van E.: First you need to round the Cape and settle there, moving then on to India, setting up new colonies and the target of your mission is Gao, they have plenty of “herbs” (wink) there.
Diaz: I get you matey! Off I go to fame and fortune!
Van E.: Good luck and try to colonize will you!
Joao II: And bring back plenty of herbs!

* Diaz Leaves for India *

Over the next few years during Diaz’s travels to the Far East, new lands were discovered along the coast of Africa and new trading posts and colonies were set up, mainly upon the Cape of Good Hope.

ScreenSave10.jpg

The Years passed and explorers came and went and the world was bit by bit being explored. Portuguese conquistadors landed in Brazil in 1502 and 5 trading posts had been set up to export the newly found tobacco and sugar back to the homeland. Bars all over Portugal were selling the new drugs and they were a great success, consequenting in a lasting settlement being founded in 1504.

ScreenSave9.jpg

Explorers pushing west also had great success, with a major settlement in Goa and trading posts in India and even in Jakarta.

ScreenSave12.jpg

ScreenSave13.jpg

In Europe, Spain had pushed into North Africa; Poland had been on an annexation spree and had been in a fatal war with Austria until 1505, The Ottoman Empire had beaten the Persians early, England had almost united Britain Muscowy had started its long war with the hordes coming over the Urals…

ScreenSave8.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for not posting this week, I wasn't there for the second session so all I can do is write some notes taken from looking at the save.

Roaming ‘Round The World Part 2
1505 - 1516​

Notes:

War: Portugal was involved in a war with Persia, Persia having Diploannexed Oman, Portugal wanted some of those old Omani CoTs. The war was won, Portugal taking Zanzibar and Mascate. Right at the end of the session Zimbarbwe was DoWed and left for me to decide what to do with it.

Diplomacy: Portugal stayed neutral, though still working on a colonizing level with Spain. Unfortunatly my Sub being very n00bish sold some of Portugal's priceless maps to Sweden and Denmark for 200d each. Meaning those damned Scandinavians would complete Portugal out in those Eastern CoTs. :(

Trade: Nothing Special, just trading about in Europe and starting in the East.

Colonization + Exploration: Jakarta, Diamentina and the Cape were the main areas of colonization. Portuguese Explorers and Conquisterdors explored up the West Cost of America and a Sea Route to Australia.

Thats it for now, I might post some screenies later and yesterdays session will be posted today or tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Chaingun said:
I post here because Engel asked me to. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Nice AAR by the way. ;)
I'm sure you meant to say;

This is a great AAR! Everyone should read it and give us an update!

:D

Roaming ‘Round The World Part 3
1516 - 1533​

* In The Portuguese Court In Lisboa *

*Enigma walks into the court*

Enigma: Greetings from the Great Sultan.Van Engel: Enigma, my old friend!
Manuel I: Greetings Enigma, what brings you to Lisboa?
Enigma: Well, we’ve heard you have conquered Macate from the Persians.
Van Engel: Yep, and we’ve proud of it!
Enigma: Well we want it, its Arabic so its rightfully ours.
Van Engel: and it’s our core.
Enigma: I’ll put it this way, take this money*shows money* or take our swords.
Van Engel: Well when you put it that way! Manuel what do you say?
Manuel I: Sorry I was busy looking at that girls bum… Ur yeah sure go on.
Van Engel: Well we have a deal! Now give me that cash…

So Portugal’s well fought for CoT was bullied of them by the Ottomans for a big pay off, though through this deal, Ottoman – Portuguese relations went from strength to strength. Portugal not being able to expand into Arabia, looked else where…

Van Engel being the total dumbass he was, had forgotten that Portugal still was at war with Zimbabwe controlling all their provinces, ready for annexation. Zimbabwe was quickly devoured and a Missionary was sent to the old Capital – Zimbabwe Province.

1533-Africa.jpg

Spain meanwhile was ready for its war of independence against France, Portugal had the best view of the war, seeing France first invading Spain and secondly Cortez taking back Mexico. The outcome was Mexico to the Spanish and Rusillion and the Island of Sicily to France. At last a strong Spain for Portugal to latch onto.

Colonization went well, Brazil having 3 new colonial cities built, and most Trading posts upgraded to colonies. In the Far east, Sunda was fully colonized and 2 or 3 Islands were put under the Portuguese leash with more trading posts.

1533-Indo.jpg

1533-Brazil.jpg

Trading went very poorly, due to poor government polices and other bad decision making on Van Engel’s part meaning no merchants for a long period of time or very little. On top of this, the newly converted Scandinavians using the Old Portuguese maps, were trading Portuguese merchants out everywhere. In years to come something has to be done.
(OOC: haha Seen: P)

1533-europe.jpg

Europe in 1533

Last edited:
Another missed Session (my social life is more important. :p :D ). I'll see what I can do, it will most likely more notes taken from the save file. :)

Call me lazy, but I'm too tired tonight to write. :eek:o I'll try and get an update done for last session after tomorrows session or on saturday. :)