• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm... is the scenario as you offer it for download intended to be selectable from the scenarios screen? Because for me, it's not (put everything in a moddir).

Also, perhaps some more intuitive tags could be used, like for example ITA for the Romans, or HEL for the Helvetii... (there are certainly more, these are just the ones I noticed right away ;))

I also own Imperium Romanum II, should you want to know anything from it. Never played it though. I should give it a go if I can find a likely victim...

I think the idea mentioned earlier of giving the Romans ferocious = yes may warrant attention. As I understand it, this means that the faction will not discuss peace until either it or its enemy is completely subjugated. Some historians, Adrian Goldsworthy among them, hold that the Romans treated every war as a war of annihilation and the inability of contemporary states to accomplish this accounted for the Romans' ability to bounce back from awful predicaments (such as the aftermath of Cannae). Of course, if the result in game terms would be that the Romans remain at war for decades and ruin their economy so that some other power always rises ascendant, I say ignore this idea.

Okay, on to the fanboy bit of this post: I love the idea of a Roman-era mod and dream of the day when I can play one. Preferably one where the map has been edited to put in tons more provinces at the expense of the rest of the world, but that will have to wait until the chaps hacking the TBL files finish. No Bactrians for me yet. Oh well. Continue your work or I may cry ;)

Lord Asharak:
I'm not too sure how to handle the upload stuff (I'm very new at this), and basically the stuff so far is actually not meant to be played. Some people wanted to see what I roughly had so far, so I thought it couldn't hurt to upload it. It's like a very, very rough diamond, still being mined deep in the earth. :D

Underhand:
Yep, the ferocity part is open for tweaking. I have little experience in handling AI-files, so any input, like yours, is extremely welcomed :)

And Hell yeah, the map editor would be like pure gold into the hands of a beggar boy :D I am following that developement quite closely.

And I will see this project through. Even if it takes me until my retirement :) The more people who contribute, the faster it will happen. And it will happen. It must happen. A Rome mod has always seemed to me like the natural next step to the EU engine.

maybe some "wartime patriotism" events would be good for Rome. Roman citizens were very devoted to the war, and at least once during the war (I think a bit after Cannae) a body of wealthy citizens donated some of their own money to the state for the war effort. This could help the AI out significantly, since the war should be wreaking havoc on Roman finances, anyway (its what happened).

It wasn't exactly patriotism... Roman society was based on evergetism, and it was the duty of the upper class to pay for what we today call "government projects" out of their pocket. To not do so would be to face the incredibly powerful forces of negative public opinion (which in Rome equates to prolonged public ridicule).

In fact, I think Rome should have Evergetism events.

Evergetism #1:
Notables finance public entertainments
+1 stability

Evergetism #2:
Notables build fabulous monuments
+10 VPs

Evergetism #3:
Notables finance road improvements
+50 infrastructure

Not really Evergetism but:
Notable wills his patrimony to the State
+50 gold
-1 inflation
+1 taxvalue in random province

These should all require high Aristocracy values of course. Rome was an incredibly aristocratic state, and going for a low aristocratic value in Rome should have negative consequences (no aid from the notables) as Rome based quite a bit of their success to the notables. This is a two edged sword of course...

Negative Roman aristocracy events:

Notable plunders the provinces to make his fortune (this should be very common, the larger the empire the more common)
+1 inflation
-1 taxvalue, random province
OR
-1 aristocracy (execute the bastard)
-1 stability

Lack of freedmen hinders trade and commerce (if your serfdom is too low)
Option a: Encourage increased slave ownership, and preach freedom for deserving slaves
+1 serfdom
+50 infra (increase in artisans)
-50 ducats (subsidies to the slave traders)
Option b: Not having tons of uppity freedmen is good I say
+1 aristocracy
-100 trade
-100 infra

Too many rich freedmen are unbalancing society (if serfdom is too high)
Option a: Let them into the aristocracy
+1 aristocracy
+1 stability
-1 serfdom
Option b: Forget about society, these people are moneymakers!
+100 trade
-1 aristocracy
-1 mercantilism
+6 merchants

Last edited:
MKJ: Great stuff! :)

I'll try and make some events out of them today.

And, now that you are "on a roll", could you give us some ideas to what could be events if Arsiticracy is very low?

Btw, I would approciate all of your opinions on this, could I rename Plutocracy and Aristocracy to "Populares and Optimates"? Not very important, but it could be a little flavour thing.

Edit: the trigger values of Aristocracy, would that be 7, 8, 9 or 10?

Last edited:
Events suggested by MKJ

event = {
id = 120001
trigger = {
domestic = { type = aristocracy value = 8 }
}
random = yes
name = "Notables finance public entertainments"
desc = "Notables finance public entertainments"
style = 0
action_a = {
name = "Notables finance public entertainments"
command = { type = stability value = 1 }
}

}

event = {
id = 120002
trigger = {
}
random = yes
name = "Notables build fabulous monuments"
desc = "Notables build fabulous monuments"
style = 0
action_a = {
command = { type = vp value = 10 }
}

}

event = {
id = 120003
trigger = {
}
random = yes
name = "Notables finance road improvements"
desc = "Notables finance road improvements"
style = 0
action_a = {
command = { type = infra value = 50 }

}

}

event = {
id = 120004
trigger = {
}
random = yes
name = "Notable wills his patrimony to the State"
desc = "Notable wills his patrimony to the State"
style = 0
action_a = {
name = "Notable wills his patrimony to the State"
command = { type = treasury value = 50 }
command = { type = inflation value = -1 }
command = { type = provincetax which = -1 value = 1 }
}

}

event = {
id = 120005
trigger = {
}
random = yes
name = "Notable plunders the provinces to make his fortune"
desc = "Notable plunders the provinces to make his fortune"
style = 0
action_a = {
name = "Notable plunders the provinces to make his fortune"
command = { type = inflation value = 1 }
command = { type = provincetax which = -1 value = -1 }

}
action_b = {
name = "Execute the bastard!"
command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = -1 }
command = { type = stability value = -1 }

}
}

event = {
id = 120006
trigger = {
domestic = { type = serfdom value = 3 }
}
random = yes
name = "Lack of freedmen hinders trade and commerce"
desc = "Lack of freedmen hinders trade and commerce"
style = 0
action_a = {
name = "Encourage increased slave ownership, and preach freedom for deserving slaves"
command = { type = domestic which = serfdom value = 1 }
command = { type = infra value = 50 }
command = { type = treasury value = -50 }
}
action_b = {
name = "Not having tons of uppity freedmen is good I say"
command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = 1 }
command = { type = infra value = -100 }
command = { type = trade value = -100 }

}
}

event = {
id = 120007
trigger = {
domestic = { type = serfdom value = 8 }
}
random = yes
name = "Too many rich freedmen are unbalancing society"
desc = "Too many rich freedmen are unbalancing society"
style = 0
action_a = {
name = "Let them into the aristocracy"
command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = 1 }
command = { type = stability value = 1 }
command = { type = domestic which = serfdom value = -1 }
}
action_b = {
name = "Forget about society, these people are moneymakers!"
command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = -1 }
command = { type = domestic which = mercantilism value = -1 }
command = { type = trade value = 100 }
command = { type = merchants value = 6 }
}
}

Anything that needs to be changed?

Ach, Perseus, that moron. He blundered very effectively as a leader. Would it be possible to make some events for the possibility of Phillip actually beating Rome in the Second Macedonian War? Or, failing that, a choice of someone OTHER than Perseus to pin their hopes on for the Third?
EDIT: Thanks, MKJ. Your events look quite good. If only we had something to contrast it to on the Carthaginian side. Anyone got any ideas here?

Just had a thought. Perhaps there should be a random event that fires if you're at war making you lose a small number of troops to represent the political infighting that denied rising stars (Hannibal, Scipio etc.) needed reinforcements if they began to outshine those who didn't get a war theatre posting. This was especially prevalent among the Romans in the middle and late republic, people really had to fight politically for resources. Just a thought.

Underhand said:
Just had a thought. Perhaps there should be a random event that fires if you're at war making you lose a small number of troops to represent the political infighting that denied rising stars (Hannibal, Scipio etc.) needed reinforcements if they began to outshine those who didn't get a war theatre posting. This was especially prevalent among the Romans in the middle and late republic, people really had to fight politically for resources. Just a thought.

Would make sense, but the problem is, that as it is now, at least Carthage is having trouble maintaining a longer campaign in Italy. I've actually considered giving them small events with extra troops to at least somehow keep them going in Italy. If nothing else, they did get some assistance from the Gauls. Would be cool if Hannibal could terrorize Italy for 10 years. So far I've not managed to make them last more than 4 years.

Molleby said:
Would make sense, but the problem is, that as it is now, at least Carthage is having trouble maintaining a longer campaign in Italy. I've actually considered giving them small events with extra troops to at least somehow keep them going in Italy. If nothing else, they did get some assistance from the Gauls. Would be cool if Hannibal could terrorize Italy for 10 years. So far I've not managed to make them last more than 4 years.
I like the idea of gallic reinforcements. How is this handled? And I believe you mentioned the independence of Capua if Carthage controls the city. Does this work like the English Civil War in vanilla EU2? As in the Romans inherit them if they can subdue them?

Also, why not name this Roma Universalis? After all, the game is not called Europe Universalis. Feel free to shut me up if I'm cramping your style with this kind of suggestion :)

Underhand said:
I like the idea of gallic reinforcements. How is this handled? And I believe you mentioned the independence of Capua if Carthage controls the city. Does this work like the English Civil War in vanilla EU2? As in the Romans inherit them if they can subdue them?

Also, why not name this Roma Universalis? After all, the game is not called Europe Universalis. Feel free to shut me up if I'm cramping your style with this kind of suggestion :)

No no, keep the suggestions coming. This is what this thread is for, after all.

Yes, I was thinking something along the lines of the English civil war. When Hannibal takes Capua (or the province north of it), it will cause some Roman allies to defect (meaning that one or two southern provinces will become independent, probably vassals or allies to Carthage).

The re-conquest of the cities will trigger events that force them back into the Roman hegemony.

As for the name... well, why not? It has to be named something. More suggestions are welcomed.

Mad King James said:
Any thoughts towards the ROTW?

This period is quite interesting for China for instance, starting with the sunset years of the Ts'in dynasty
http://map.huhai.net/

Wow wow there! :D

Let's take care of the Mediterranean first :)

But it is an interesting idea, which will be concidered once the Punic War works.

I suppose it depends on our time scale, we can safely ignore China right up until the Huns are supposed to start invading Europe.

If our scenario ends at around 200 AD (around the Roman adoption of Christianity?) we don't really need to model much of anything north of the Danube.

Still, it would be nice to have the whole post-hellenic world modelled, though some places such as Japan are contraversial to say the least, and should perhaps just be terra-incognita'd out.

Mad King James said:
I suppose it depends on our time scale, we can safely ignore China right up until the Huns are supposed to start invading Europe.

If our scenario ends at around 200 AD (around the Roman adoption of Christianity?) we don't really need to model much of anything north of the Danube.

Still, it would be nice to have the whole post-hellenic world modelled, though some places such as Japan are contraversial to say the least, and should perhaps just be terra-incognita'd out.

I've planned to take little steps.

First we do the Mediterranean from 218 bc up to the Social War (90 bc?)

When we reach that point, we can decide whether to go further and expand it up to around Augustus, or include the Eastern states from 218 bc to around 90.

Ok, I want you guys' opinion:

I'm going to make the peace and post-war events for Carthage now.

What I need to figure out, is what the trigger for the big "Peace Event" should be.

Could total control over Spain be enough (and Italy of course), or must Rome also conquer some stuff in Africa?

And while we're at it, if Hannibals conquers the city of Rome itself, would that alone trigger a peace event?