• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've tried to tweak the tech increase a little, but so far I've only given it two testruns. It's very boring work, just monitoring how techs are being heightened :(

If someone would look into that, I'll be a happy man :)

Hey, Molleby, looking at your map I see you have Saguntum as being in Catalonia. This is a bit odd, as Saguntum was supposed to be SOUTH of the Ebro, within Carthage's sphere (even if they were Roman allies). I'm not really sure what should go there, but Valencia makes more sense for Saguntum to me.
Also, one big question I've been pondering over for a little while now: How in the hell will we ever get the AI to move Hannibal into Italy?

Archaalen said:
Hey, Molleby, looking at your map I see you have Saguntum as being in Catalonia. This is a bit odd, as Saguntum was supposed to be SOUTH of the Ebro, within Carthage's sphere (even if they were Roman allies). I'm not really sure what should go there, but Valencia makes more sense for Saguntum to me.
Also, one big question I've been pondering over for a little while now: How in the hell will we ever get the AI to move Hannibal into Italy?

I'll move Saguntum :)

And actually, you can "programme" an army at the beginning of the scenario :)

landunit = {
id = { type = 9423 id = 389 }
name = "Grand Army of Hannibal"
location = 437
date = { year = 535 month = january day = 1 }
development = no
morale = 0.000
movement = { 429 427 426 422 407 405 404 389 391 392 393 }
movetime = 30
inf = 80000.000
cav = 20000.000
art = 0.000
}

movement is the province that army is moving through, in that order, and movetime is how long the army is going to use. I found out by coincidence :D

That is great. I was worried about that. Are you scripting movement once he's in Italy as well, or just letting the AI figure it out for itself? Also, the AI may tend to give up on the war too quick, on one or both sides. Have you provided for this as well?

You could always give the Furious AIs... At least for the Romans :D

So you went with the 100k number for Hannibal's starting forces? I've heard that Polybius might have been exaggerating there, but hey, more troops to crush Rome with :D
Found a good site for Seleucid monarchs:
http://www.livius.org/se-sg/seleucids/seleucids.html

Archaalen said:
That is great. I was worried about that. Are you scripting movement once he's in Italy as well, or just letting the AI figure it out for itself? Also, the AI may tend to give up on the war too quick, on one or both sides. Have you provided for this as well?

I've planned some events for some three province which the AI is likely to take. Depends whether or not they crush the romans in the border provinces or further south. Anyway, the idea is, that if Hannibal takes Capua, then the south will revolt and Hannibal will get additional troops in the province he has just conquered. If for nothing else than prolong his campaign options in Italy. On the other hand, the Romans will mobilize more of their resources, as I seem to remember that they did in reality. Stuff like the soldiers giving up pay, etc.

As far as the 100.000 men, only about 1/4 seems to make it into North Italy whewn I try it in the game. When it comes to exact numbers, I'm going to take some liberties :D

Imperium Romanum

If someone could locate old boardgames called "Imperium Romanum" and "Imperium Romanum II", that'd probably make some things easier. I think they were designed by Alfred Nofi. It's scenarios run from Marius & Sulla to Belisarius and Justinian Reconquist in 6th century. Quite detailed unit counts too. Pity I lost mine when moving few years ago... :(

Cheers,

M.S.

Artillery wouldn't be elephants, it would be siege equipment, the stuff that Hannibal lacked in Italy for taking large fortified cities. Is there a way to limit the amount of siege equipment that can be built, like making it only available from cities of a certain size? The other problem is that cannon provide fire bonuses, which shouldn't be very significant at all until later, and even then they shouldn't really be practical for use other than against fortifications.

I think it'd be mistake to mod artillery as elephants because:

1) That'd make it impossible to model Roman superiority in siegecraft, especially during later Republican era and after that. They were only ones with organized engineering units within their armies.

2) Many Roman commanders used ballistas and catapults etc. against enemy troops in pitched battles, so they were not only siege equipment (Caesar and Trajanus (Trajan) come to mind first, against Gauls in many occasions, latter against Dacians even in open battles)

3) Elephants were never decisive element in combat. Main effect of elephants was that they scared horses, thus affecting cavalry. They can be better modelled by giving other bonuses. When elephants faced organized and disciplined infantry, they were always routed sooner or later. Both Hannibal's and Mithrades' experiences show that.

Cheers,

M.S.

Artillery, especially siege artillery, will play a part in Roman military tactics, both during the Punic Wars and after. Elephants, while of course interesting, had a limited impact on overall tactics. I think it's important that we do not overdo the importance of elephants, and we must remember the siege aspect of ancient warfare.

Therefore artillery will remain... at least in this scenario.

What about making siegecrafts more scarce somehow? Siege equipment couldn't be built effectively in just any city. I bet Rome will already probably have significant bonuses to their manpower, but that doesn't really cover it properly. Any way to change this?

Sardaukar,
Just wanted to comment number 3. The elephants did not only scare horses, they scared everyone, horses, riders and infantry alike. Not many would stand in formation with an elephant charging against them. Pyrrhos for example won some battles simply by scaring the main host of the Romans off the battlefield with his elephants. Elephants were not easy to wound either, if the enemy was disciplined enough to try to fight it.
The best way to stop an elephant was to make lots of noise and hope that it would avoid fighting and turn in another direction, but it was a gamble, not something that one could count on.

Molleby,
you do as you wish with the artillery. But I still think you are missing a great opportunity to add flavour to the mod. And elephants certainly played a major role in Hannibals tactics. (In retrospect he should probably not have relied so much on them.)

Archaalen,
One way to make siegeequipment scarce is to remove the possibility to build artillery at all, and instead have events which give the opportunity to buy it. These events can come on a regular basis, and only to the nations that are supposed to have siege equipment.

Sardaukar said:
If someone could locate old boardgames called "Imperium Romanum" and "Imperium Romanum II", that'd probably make some things easier. I think they were designed by Alfred Nofi. It's scenarios run from Marius & Sulla to Belisarius and Justinian Reconquist in 6th century. Quite detailed unit counts too. Pity I lost mine when moving few years ago... :(

Cheers,

M.S.

hello i've got Imperium Romanum II...what do you need exactly? :cool:

Duc de Guise said:
hello i've got Imperium Romanum II...what do you need exactly? :cool:

Just thought that Scenario Booklet descriptions of scenarios might give some ideas to those who make events, and leader counters would help determine the quality of different leaders in comparison quite easily. That's only for later scenarios, though, Marius & Sulla and later, IIRC. I think there is part of the counters in pic on net somewhere...I think Caligula was -1 :rofl: when Caesar was +3 :)

Cheers,

M.S.