• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hat's off, Catknight! I haven't read your work yet, but I see that I'll have to.

Long overdue, if you ask me. Congratulations, CatKnight!!

congratulations

Wow, Machiavellian! I don't know what to say, I never would have expected this.

* takes out twelve page speech * :)

When I received the now ended Fan of the Week award I think I claimed to have been born in a log cabin. In my first article for the Gazette I claimed to be from an extinct knight order and the child of an angel and a demon. (One can make a fair argument for the latter, I have all sorts of strange ideas about theology.) The truth is a bit more mundane - I was born in Connecticut on the American east coast and except for one year in Virginia - which is where I lived when I first came to this forum, and I hope to return sooner or later - I've been here for all my thirty-four years.

Like most of you I suppose, my path here is a bit convoluted. As a child I loved science and mathematics, but by the time I was in high school this morphed to history. (I remember a surprisingly ugly debate with my physics teacher about the Battle of Hastings.) I also became involved in role-playing games, and through those games learned something of how to write and to use my imagination. There are those who'd say I rely too much on my imagination ... I'm a dreamer who constantly plots and replots, and I have an unfortunate tendency to be humming along with my data at work, then suddenly grab a piece of paper and sketch some notes.

I had EU1 back in its day, but I never really grasped it. I found the histories and leader profiles from the instruction book more interesting than anything. I forgot about it soon enough, until last April or so. I'm not sure how I ended up on Paradox's site, but I did...and started reading the AARs, and decided I *really* liked the alternate histories these people were writing.

I happened to own HOI1, but again I just didn't enjoy it. However the AARs convinced me to get a copy of EU2 through ebay.com, and that's about all she wrote. 'Resurrection' began soon afterwards, and even through a very difficult and painful move where I was away for...two months? ... the characters and plots quietly worked their way through my head. There was a second AAR, 'A Distant Mirror' which was a Hands Off for the Mongol Empire Scenario, but I didn't really enjoy it after the first few posts and was happy to rush through to the end. Currently I'm also GMing one of the PBEM Diplomacy games set up as a prelude to Paradox's next project.

As for what I want to do when I grow up, some days I'm still working on that. I've always loved science fiction and fantasy, but I have to say what I've read here in the past year's taught me a real affection for alternate histories and historical fiction.

Thanks again Machiavellian!

Congratulations, Cat. I'm looking forward to having some time to catch up with the adventures of Rutledge, Heyward, Preston and Cassie. Oh, and that evil, evil man Stewart, of course. And Exeter, when you finally pull him out of your hat again... Maybe I'll just have to make time, eh? :)

A well earned award CatKnight! :cool:

Joe

Great choice. I've been slowly working my way through Resurrection and I'm finding it a great read.

LD

Again, I want to thank Machiavellian and all of you for your kind words and endorsement. I also want to quickly apologize to my readers for my silence: The last week has been on the hellish side and Resurrection's had to drift to the side. I should be back in form soon though!

Now...WritAAR. This took some thought, but since we're recognizing a writer's achievements (as opposed to a given AAR) I think I have my man. He's written some AARs and was active in past Free Company efforts. He wrote several extremely detailed articles for the Gazette and published a fair sized edition all by himself after it closed. After that he started an 'Annex' that, though it's sparsely populated, was certainly a good try.

I'm speaking, of course, of the one and only Hurricane. Amric, come on down!

Congrats!