• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What an unfortunate page break.

Congratulations CatKnight! Don't finish too soon; let me catch up first! :p

Congratulations, CatKnight!

Saint-Germain said:
What an unfortunate page break.

Congratulations CatKnight! Don't finish too soon; let me catch up first! :p
:rofl: I know, don't you hate that when you post an update on the last post of the page ;)

Anyways, congratulations Catknight :)

Nice way to be welcomed back. Congratulations, and now finish the damned thing, CatKnight!! :D

Very nice choice. Congratulations CatKnight :)

Congrats, CatKnight. Truly a well-deserved award.

A heartfelt congratulation!

I would like to thank the Academy...

...er...

First, thank you Director! This was a very nice surprise. Thanks also to all of you, and also to anyone and everyone who's commented on my stories over the years. We all like to say we keep writing because it interests us, and that's true...but seeing comments is always a nice little jolt for me. Director (and others) have spoken eloquently on the importance of our community.

I want to instead talk about the most important piece of advice I've ever received as a writer. Without it I probably wouldn't be writing this today, and definitely would have abandoned 'Resurrection' years ago. It was over in the SolAARium, and you can read the original conversation here.

After 2.5 years, and 160 chapters of about 1,000 words each, I was stuck. I'd started so many subplots with so many characters I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to bring everyone together. I knew (kinda) how I wanted the story to end, and I had some idea how I wanted each subplot to resolve, but getting there seemed impossible.

Coz1, Amric, Director and stnylan, some of the most experienced writers on this board, jumped in after me. Their advice varied somewhat, but the general theme seemed clear enough. I needed to stop what I was doing and get organized.

After talking to them, and I believe a PM or two, I opened a blank screen and started typing...everything. Each plot, how I wanted it to resolve, and the essential steps to get it there. Then I put everything in order and started writing.

I always feared plotting would take all the creativity out of writing. I'm the kind of person who's naturally not a good editor/re-writer, because once I've written something, I find re-working it...boring. I feared if I started pinning down what I wanted to happen when, then actually writing the scenes would be like going over it again. Boring.

Not so. Looking at my notes from that time, compared to what actually happened, there were still an awful lot of changes. The key for me was that I kept the outline very loose and flexible. So long as my characters made progress towards their goal, then I was content to let them explore. Just knowing the general direction I wanted the story to go solved more cases of writer's block then I can count.

I would say to any writer: Have some idea where you're going, and how to get there. You can change it later if something better comes to mind, but it's vital to remember that you're in charge of your work. Not your characters. (Not even your notes.)

Thanks to their advice, Resurrection will finish on Thursday at an even 240 chapters ... or at 240,000 words, approximately the size of a bloody trilogy. Otherwise - I wouldn't have made it.

The other piece of advice I'd offer to any writer would be to ask questions. Ask your readers, ask fellow writers you respect, or even post in the SolAARium: If you're lost, confused or not sure where to go from here, then odds are someone else has been down that road and mapped the terrain. We're a community. Use what resources we have available to you.

(Just don't be surprised if someone PMs you for help someday. :))

Thanks again Director and everyone!

Excellent advice, CatKnight - I too learned the value of organization the hard way, and I too have a vast, sprawling AAR ('Dragons') to show for it. Three years in the making, and I still have the scars from the mental ulcers...

Anyone who has problems can count on the people of this forum for help - I know this is true, from my own experience. All you have to do is ask... every author I know is delighted to have a chance to help. 'No job too big, no problem too small', that's the motto engraved over the Solarium door. ;)

Chief Ragusa, if I'd waited for him to finish it I wouldn't have still had the baton to pass it on... :p :D

Congrats CatKnight and a late congrats to you too Director! Nice to see some old hats still getting some love along with all our new members.

Thanks again everyone!

I will pick someone some time next week. I just wanted to take my moment in the sun to report that 'Resurrection' is now COMPLETE after 4 years, 5 months and 1 day.

Drinks are on Director!