• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations sir, well deserved!

:cool: Congratulations, trekaddict! :cool:

A little late maybe, but still…. Congratulations trekaddict:)

Oh and by the way isn’t it soon time for a new winner?

Hello all! It's been a wild month for me, and I've spent more time away from a computer than with access to one. For this reason I didn't get to deliver my, ahem, brief remarks, and also why canonized delivered my selection of trekaddict as the next WritAAR of the week.

*clears throat*

To keep things consistent with my Best Character Writer of the Week spiel, whenever I win a weekly award, I'll direct the speech toward the topic at issue. For example, my previous award was for characters so I wrote about characters, and this one is about writing, so I'll say a few words on the writing of Weltkriegschaft.

The AAR takes the format of the continuous narrative of Germany seen through many different eyes -- generals, dissidents, diplomats, spies and common soldiers. Because the reader's perspective shifts so rapidly from character to character, I realized that it was essential to unite each update stylistically. What does that mean?

Basic format -- Each update is formatted the same way. At the top, the chapter number and update number are provided -- always at the same size and in the same font -- followed by the date during which the installment starts. Text is always small-sized Times New Roman in standard color, single spaced.

Stylistic conventions -- This is less straightforward. Stylistic conventions range from when to capitalize or italicize certain words to how to represent dates. It usually doesn't matter what choice a writAAR makes regarding stylistic conventions, only that he is consistent in their application. In Weltkriegschaft, for example, I have decided to italicize foreign terms or expressions except those that come from German. This is why the rank of Hauptmann is not italicized while the rank of Maggiore is. Lyrics to songs are italicized and not in quotation marks. The same applies to newspapers and text that is not read aloud by a character. In the narrative itself, the current year in the story is rendered as nineteen thirty-six, while in the date at the top of the update and in photo captions, it is always rendered as 1936. The names of publications are italicized but the names of other institutions are always in normal type, even non-German institutions. There are literally scores of such conventions that I keep track of to make things look consistent.

Translation -- If you see that a character's dialogue contains a phrase that is incongruously capitalized, such as German People, this usually indicates that in the original German in which the characters would have spoken, that particular phrase was a single important word. In the above case, "Volk" is rendered into English as "German People". Is that the most direct translation? Probably not. More literalist translations might give it as Folk (etymologically closer) or simply as People (more in line with the literal German), but as readers of my previous speech will recall, I strive in Weltkriegschaft for a sense translation. That is, a translation that will convey to English speakers an idea as close as possible to the idea that the original German would convey to a speaker of German, while retaining some of the fundamental structure of the original language.

Point-of-View -- Each update follows a character in past-tense from the third person. The voice of the narrator is generally limited by what is known by the character being followed. In writing, I endeavor to make the narrator as inconspicuous as possible. For this reason, the narrator does not launch into asides or monologues aimed at the reader. The narrator neither chides the characters when they do something foolish nor praises them in moments of triumph.

Pace -- Each update starts by establishing which character is being followed, and where he is and what he is doing. This is usually followed by a brief review of what has been going on since the last time the reader saw that character. We then jump back into the action, following some event in which the character plays a part in the larger story of Germany. Because Weltkriegschaft is written as a serial, the ending of each update most provide a mix of closure on the preceding action and anticipation of what will happen next.

These are some of the ways in which I seek to create unitive continuity between otherwise dissimilar updates about a Catholic priest skulking around a partly-finished Olympic stadium, an army corporal seeing his first combat, an intelligence agent meeting an eccentric falconer and a twelve-year-old girl saying goodbye to her father for what might be the last time.

Thank you again to AlexanderPrimus for the honor of the nomination, to trekaddict for letting me back in to give my speech, and to all my fantastic readers. For those who don't really know what I've been blabbing about for the past few hundred words, I apologize for the longwindedness and sincerely encourage you to come take a look at Weltkriegschaft.

*removes hat and bows*

Last edited:
comagoosie said:
Yes, by the rules he should have chosen, but in all honesty it doesn't matter. We like to bend the rules here. But if in two/two and a half weeks he hasn't chosen...

I must honestly say I completely forgot to. :eek:o Bows in eternal shame.

So anyway, I'd select TheEnlighted1 because of his maginficent The Shattered Eagle: A German Gotterdammerung Story AAR.

Congratulations TheEnlighted1 !

canonized said:
Congratulations TheEnlighted1 !

Someone should tell him. :D

trekaddict said:
Someone should tell him. :D

Usually it's the nominator who PMs him and posts a notice on his thread too XD

Congratulations!

Thankyou everyone this is such an honor to be nominated with other writAARs that I can only imagine to be just as good as.

I must also thank those following my AAR, I know that "narratives" tend to be a little more boring than gameplay AAR's because of all the writing and talking going on... this compels me to keep going, especially since I had the urge to abadone the AAR a few days back, Thanks.

And thankyou Trekaddict for the nomination.