• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A most astute pick! Judas, this is quite deserved both for your current works and the many attempted in the past. Congrats! :D

Oh, hello... didn't really pay much attention to this thread until my name appeared in the title. :p

Well, thank you for this unanticipated honor. I'd like to thank the Academy--

Oh, wait, wrong speech. *rifles through notes* inauguration... speech to the UN upon world domination... speech to the UN shortly before doomsday machine set off... blank paper... shopping list... another blank paper... Ah, here we go!

In the Year of Our Lord 1987, in the State of Kentucky in the United States of America, a child was born. No, there wasn't a star, or wise men. Heck, I didn't get gold, frankincense, or myrrh. I got gruel, Frankenstein, and a guy named Murray. Manger? No, hospital bed. Doesn't make for a good story, does it?

Well, I started growing up. Along the way, I (likely through the influence of my father and older brothers) began showing a marked interest in history. At a surprisingly young age I was able to rattle off a chronological list of all the monarchs of England since 1016 (I've expanded to Scotland and Russia by now). I knew the names of historical places and names most people don't ever learn. Did anybody care? Well, not really.

So, I went on my merry way. Then, my oldest brother (who is literally old enough to be my father) discovered an interesting, obscure, Swedish-made game by the name of Europa Universalis (you may have heard of it :D ). Through my knowledge of the Latin title (did I mention I taught myself a bunch of Latin?), I knew this would have something to do with European history. And boy, was I right! I rapidly became a Europaholic (ooh, just coined a term) and went on to purchase EU2, HoI, Vicky, and CK (I'd get HoI2, but I'm not very interested in WWII).

In 2002, I read an interesting AAR called "World Conquest for Dummies", by the infamous Peter Ebbesen (I hope I spelt that name right...). Along with an earlier AAR I had caught a snippet of (by some guy named Uriel or something like that... it was England, if that helps anyone), this immediately sparked my interest in the AAR.

My first foray was a short piece called "A New History of the French Revolution" that found its way onto a wargame website I don't quite remember. This was soon followed by my first true AAR, "The Catholic King". This recieved quite a good following (even including some material provided by the great and mighty MrT), but was unfortunately cut short.

This would, even more unfortunately, turn out to be a habit.

As I littered the forums with innumerable failed AARs, I wrote such cut-short tales as "The Syrian Crusade" and "The LeathAAR-Stocking Tales". Of course, I actually finished some--note "Novgorod the Great" (and its sequel "God Save the CzAAR") as an example.

To make a long story short ("TOO LATE!"), I was one of those who followed CK from its promising beginnings, through the long dark night, to its final release. As soon as it came out I ordered it from Paradox and decided that I would do an England AAR. I then settled on a person: Roger de Montgomery, Count of Shrewsbury (and Arundel, which means Sussex in CK terms... Paradox needs to get their facts straight! Heck, they took away all his lands (which is in itself realistic, at least) in later patches!)

...Oh, sorry, back to the story.

I was, at that time, following two quite wonderful AARs: Dance of the Shadows, and our previous week's winner's Blood-Red Hand. Both of these were story based, but my other attempts at story AARs (Catholic King, Syrian Crusade, etc.) tended to end early. (For the record, so did both of the ones I was following. But at least they had a good excuse. I'm just to quick to jump to other ideas I have.)

I decided to make it a story. A long one. The game was, to say the least, quite violent (assassanations galore! And those @#$% Welsh...), and would make quite a good story. I was thumbing through the Douay-Rheims version of the Bible when I came to Jude:

"Woe unto those who have gone in the way of Cain... they are trees of autumn, fruitless, twice dead, plucked up by the roots."

Thus my title: "The Trees of Autumn". Because there was plenty of family killing all through the game (and I would have gotten to that...). Bonus points for having been written by someone named Judas. :D

Unfortunately, "Trees of Autumn" has done the exact same thing my last 500 story AARs have done... stopped before I could get to the good part. I really need to learn to finish what I've started... *crosses fingers for The Eternal City*

Well, if you managed to wade through all that, allow me to tell you the story of my forum name. First: Find a Bible (Catholic or Orthodox versions work best, though Protestant versions might have it in the Apocrypha. [Apocryphal? Hmph, bloody heretics...) Turn to 1 Maccabees. Start reading until you reach the end of 2 Maccabees. That's the story of the real Judas Maccabeus.

(Be glad you got the short version of that... my last try ended up going into linguistics and everything...)

--------

Good God, that's longer than most of my AARs! :D

Good God, that's longer than most of my AARs!

Yes, Judas - but at least you finished it. ;)

And the guy that wrote the English AAR is Ariel. He was the same one that influenced me to start reading and writing AARs. Here is his EU2 AAR and you can find links to his original EU AARs in his sig.

I have high hopes for 'Eternal.' I know what you mean about new ideas intruding ... sometimes it helps to put a story aside for a little bit, especially if you're not sure what to do with it, then just come back when you're ready. (Or keep a close eye on what your readers are saying. I've gotten several ideas just from feedback, and changed my mind on a few things!)

You definitely deserve this honor. Good show!

My thanks to all who have given their congratulations.

And now for this week's writAAR. After much deliberation, I have chosen:

Paranoid Tsar!

Among his credits is the very humorous Coat on the Floor series, but he deserves the greatest honors (and laughs!) for the incredibly hilarious Bearly Surviving, a CK AAR as Novgorod.

Well I'd say this is a very well deserved honor, and a long time coming too. What I want to know is when do we get another Coat on the Floor AAR, Paranoid Tsar? Better get that liver in shape. ;) I will definitely have to check out the Bearly Surviving AAR as everyone seems to raving about it. Congrats indeed, sir! :D

Thanks everyone! First, here's a very accurate depiction of myself as a Crusader Kings character. It took me awhile to find the right portrait and get the numbers right but it was well worth it. :D

ptsar5vw.jpg

Paranoid Tsar.

At this point I'd like to use this opportunity to announce that their will be a drunken/ironman CK AAR, coming in less than a week! I'll have the full details up in the CK forum shortly. It seems like the right time, as I'm celebrating this honor as well as the finish (well, second finish ;) ) of Bearly Surviving. Expect the final Bearly Surviving post some time this week.

Some assorted Paranoid Tsar "lists?" Sure, why not!

Paranoid Tsar's Favorite Tsars

#5 Paul I. When you hear the word "Tsar" you probably don't think "liberal reformer" but he was, after a fashion. Sadly, the ahistorical event choice for his reforms is the awe inspiring "It is perfect as it is" so I've never actually inacted them in a game. Had a deformed face.

#4 Boris Godunov. When you inspire both a ballet/musical AND a Bullwinkle villain you know you're something special. Highly under-rated military skills (if he was Swedish he'd be 6/5/6 with a siege of 3 ;) ). Defeated the always hated separatist nobles on numerous occasions and also defeated Sweden in a war. Not like that's a big deal for a Russian, but it's worth noting. :D

#3 Peter I. Way too tall and way too interested in the west, his greatest achievement is, of course, defeating Sweden in war. Cruel, indulgent and completely arbitrary his reign was effective but probably wasn't much fun to live through. Defeated separatists in the Ukraine, no doubt drawing on previous experience of dealing with separatists.

#2 Catherine II. Had lots of sex with many partners and is judged harshly for it, which is b.s. in my opinion. Took land from Poland and the Turk but had to settle for a draw with Sweden. Encouraged colonization of Alaska. The story about her and the "relations" with a horse is not true.

#1 Ivan IV. When I think of a Tsar this is the mental image. Fought successful wars against the Tartars but was a coward who ran from danger and tried to abdicate the throne on at least one occasion. Was popular with the common people but his policies nearly destroyed Russia. Best excesses: the Oprichnina, Novgorod Massacre, killing his own son, blinding the architects of the Kremlin (allegedly). Easily earns the title "awesome" and then some.

Paranoid Tsar's Favorite Metal Bands.

#5 Guns 'n' Roses. Would be higher but they're more "hard rock." Appetite for Destruction is a perfect record, no weak stuff at all. I'm still waiting on "Chinese Democracy." :D

#4 Mercyful Fate. Scariness and evil combined with some really great musicianship. Really. Still going after two decades.

#3 AC/DC. Probably has more classic songs that still get radio play than any other metal band. Every song is about either sexual intercourse or drinking or both and it's all awesome.

#2 Metallica. I know, I know. Before they became the sad mess they are today they had some awesome records. Original title for Kill 'em All was F*ck 'em All, which really says it all.

#1 Megadeth. "Rust in Peace" might be the perfect Metal Album, complete with George Bush and other world leaders interacting with an undead horror on the cover. Lyrics sometimes make decent points, which is really something considering the genre.

Favorite Paradox Games
#3 Hearts of Iron
#2 Europa Universalis II
#1 Crusader Kings

Once again, there will be drunkenness soon and thanks to everyone for all the kind words and support!

Last edited:
Paranoid Tsar said:
At this point I'd like to use this opportunity to announce that their will be a drunken/ironman CK AAR, coming in less than a week!
Woohoo! If it's anywhere near as freakish as your Russian one it will hit my sense of humour just right.

Paranoid Tsar said:
At this point I'd like to use this opportunity to announce that their will be a drunken/ironman CK AAR, coming in less than a week! I'll have the full details up on in the CK forum shortly. It seems like the right time, as I'm celebrating this honor as well as the finish (well, second finish ;) ) of Bearly Surviving. Expect the final Bearly Surviving post some time this week.

Yee-haw! Now that's the sort of thing I've been waiting to hear! "Coat on the Floor -1", here we come! :)

I too would like to salute Paranoid Tsar for his uniquely gifted contributions to the AAR forums. In addition to the famous Coat on the Floor series and the brilliant recent Bearly Surviving, I would like to call attention to his EU2 Papal States AAR, sadly unfinished. But if you read it you will recognize his style very quickly. Also, PT wrote a highly original and very interesting AAR of Orleans, The PrisonAAR. Although this, too, is sadly unfinished I recommend it very highly. It is NOT in the zany style of his more recent works, but even better IMHO.

Congratulations, PT, for some well deserved recognition. Now don't let it go to your head. ;)

Congrats. I don´t write or read much anymore but I do remember your master piece about the Teutonic Order /two views on the Russian crusade, written when I was busy starting up my Cum Deo AAR about the same country. I really liked the concept there, one of the AARs I remember best actually.

Glad to see that you will continue the fine tradition of writing drunken AARs, cheers

:)

An excellent choice! :cool: I'll have to drop by for your next drunken masterpiece. Still drinking Vodka?

Joe

Congratulations, Paranoid Tsar! :D