• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations Nil-The-Frogg :)

Well, what can I write first? Ah, yes…

(This high-quality shot of me has been provided by my nice digital cam...) :D

I suspected you would be the one giving me the title if I was to get it one day. It’s a sweet recognition for the involvement I put in my little story out there and I’m really touched.

Tell you about myself? Nothing very original, I’m afraid. Like many others, I’ve always liked writing but never managed to undertake any serious work (nothing longer than a dozen pages). I was just looking for game play tips when I first came around the AAR section one year and half ago and really had no idea of what I was about to discover.

Do I need to tell you it was a delightful surprise? I first read a few game-play AARs as a lurker, then skimmed through comedy AARs (particularly “Bruce and Barry”) until I stumbled upon Heretic’s “a Crown of Ice and Snow”, which is sadly abandoned. From that time on, my interest has been monopolized by narrative AARs (Director’s “Who wants to be Napoleon?”, “Here there be dragons”, “As the spirit moves me”, “Frontier”, Storey’s “Desert tides”, Amric’s “Great detectives, spies & ?” {will we have an update? :rolleyes: } and Stnylan’s “In memory of France” – Let’s hope I’ve not forgotten anyone here). I’ve hoped by a few others as well, but none that I have read from the beginning to the end, essentially because it's long to read in English.

I remained a ReadAAR-only member until February, 2006. That’s when I lost my job and found myself with free-time and my moral down to my socks.
triste.gif
I thought about AAR writing as a mean to fill this time, cheer me up, prove myself capable of undertaking a sizeable project, and of course improve my pinkpantherish English. ;) So, “No, it’s probably not Chicago” was born and is still running on now. I’ve recently found a new job but will try to keep the update rate as it is. Speaking of update rate, Director made me WritAAR of a week that wasn’t supposed to see an installment coming, but I guess that I will have to make a special effort.

Oh, did I ever mention I could be a little too talkative?
01.gif
Now, I’ll have to take some time to roam through the forum in order to find a successor, since my usual authors have all been awarded several times or rather recently…

[Little precision]
Director said:
he manages to do his own artwork
I manage to do some of my artwork. Most of it is gathered from the web. I would happily increase the (tiny) proportion of hand-made drawings, but that would come in open competition with the writing itself.
[/Little precision]

[EDIT]OH, AND THANKS TO ALL READAARS ON THE FORUM! THEY HELP THOSE STORIES GOING ON![/EDIT]

Aye, many congrats, Nil! Well deserved! :cool:

Well done, Nil! This is a long time coming and extremely well deserved! Congrats, sir. :)

Congratulations, Nil. I remember when you first started visiting the forums. Why, I was younger then, more carefree... <puts on his 'Old Man Reminiscing' voice>

Anyway. Getting this award is definitely deserved. I've enjoyed your story, the way it switches between a Thirties Chicago and the tumultous early 15th century Balkans. I also enjoy the surprising descriptions you sometimes come up with. You have a knack for writing metaphors that make me sit back, scratch my chin, and let me see things in a new light. That's a good thing, by the way. :)

I hope you'll be able to keep writing your story (new job or not), so that I can keep reading it.

Hi, I shamelessly exploit my position this week to post advertisement. Easy mods! Please, read it all before deleting :D .

I find it sad that we vastly under use a great tool provided to both writers and readers here: the monthly “Guess the author” exercise. It truly is a jewel for WritAARs, who can try their skills at short standalone posts, which require a particular attention and (IMHO) better thinking that the average AAR post. Not to mention that you have a great opportunity to try other styles or new tricks. It’s of course also a great way of obtaining in depth and potentially more honest and direct comments (the original aim of the thread, BTW), which is good as long as you’re not too touchy.

For readAARs, that’s a repository of short texts of varied topics, styles and backgrounds with some masterpieces popping from time to time (for instance, “in memory of France” originated from there, AFAIK). That’s also a way to discover authors they might not have known otherwise.

Okay, I’ll try not to spam this thread anymore until my successor’s nomination :cool: .

Last edited:
Here we are. I've enjoyed my time as WoW and want to thank Director a last time for this. Now is the time to pass the award on.

Like me, our new writAAR of the week had never won the prize, doesn't write in his own language, and like me again, he's in serious need of improving his English. AFAIK, he's currently writing his third AAR. The tragic developpement of the main character, who is a pathetic paranoid serial killer, has interested me. All in all, an very enjoyable narrative little piece there :) .

Additionally, our new winner has recently been awarded ReadAAR of the week, which is more a bonus for me to grant him this new title than a deterrent.

Now, will you Guess the Author? :D

Congratulations CSK! Excellent work on Know Your Enemy!

I saw that you also update De Forez yesterday. I guess that in light of me being Fan of The Week and you being the WritAAR of the week, I'll have to read all of it as well. :D

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!