• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations, the Yogi!

<walks up to the podium>

Thank you very much!

Since I haven't been writing this last week (or the one before that), being chosen WritAAR of the Week was about the last thing I was expecting, and thus I'm even more happy and grateful than I would be otherwise.

I have gone through some rather cataclysmic :) changes in my lifestyle lately: after a few laid back years as a recurrent student/housedad/unemployee, I'm now working at a full time job in the Swedish anti-drug coordination program as economy manager, begining about a week before my second son was born. For the last fourteen days, there never seemed to be enough hours in the day for all that HAD to be done, never mind any free time. But now things seem to be adjusting to the New Order (tm) - my older son is slowly realizing he isn't about to be exchanged for a newer model, my younger son is slowly learning to tell night from day and I'm slowly adjusting to this very different life (getting some sleep from time to time helps too).

Hopefully I'll be able to return to some sort of regular writing soon.

"The Eagle and The Lion" is an attempt to explore the what ifs of a German victory in WW1, a possibility that has always intrigued me. To tell the truth it was the back story that I really wanted to write at first, even if I have grown ever more fond of this strange alternate world that grew out of those back story posts.

The seeds of what would become "The Eagle and the Lion" were planted as I watched "Hitler - the rise of evil" with excellent Robert Carlyle playing the title role. I remember thinking when I saw the scenes depicting the brutal supression of the Bavarian Communists by proto-fascist "Freikorps" that it had taken that kind of savagely anti-democratic and militantly right-wing military to push Germany back from the brink of revoultion. But what if Germany had had a more "western" kind of army, with no political agenda of its own? Germany had surely followed the path of Russia.

From there, it was not a long leap to imagine the same post-war revolutionary situation in a defeated France - the seeds were there IRL after the Nivelle offensives. Could France have coped the way Germany did? Could I imagine the French army, the Republican French Army of a state that cherished its revolutionary traditions, gunning down rebelling workers and disaffected soldiers? No way. Given the same conditions, France was doomed. From there, I had to imagine a scenario where France was defeated - the first that sprang to mind was one where Britain stayed aloof from the war due to Germany standing on the defensive in the west (rather than raping Belgium), which is one of the classic What If's of WW1.

Now I must try to find time to read some AARs in EU2 and Victoria AAR-land, since I may not (if I understood correctly) pick one in the HOI 2 forum. As usual, it will be nigh near impossible to find one more deserving than all others, but I'm sure I will have a really easy time finding a worthy candidate.

No, that's for the Weekly AAR Showcase, silly the Yogi. :D

The next WritAAR of the Week can be anyone, though having two Free Company writAARs in a row is discouraged.

Just as I feared! :eek:

The Yogi, I am sorry, but your nomination is disqualified.

coz1 said:
Week of Sept. 19, 2004 - Mettermrck
Week of Sept. 26, 2004 - The Yogi
Week of Oct. 3, 2004 - Allenby

Everyone, check the WritAAR of the Week repository before you make a nomination!

Wait, you can get nominated twice?

If so, disregard my above post.

Yes. Good show Yogi! Tally Bally Banzai Ho!

Congrats yet again, Yogi.

And as for winning twice, if it's deserved I see no reason not to, but at the same time, I think we might try and spread it around as wide as we can. There are lot's of really great writers here these days. There really are no hard and fast rules other than try to keep it moving each week and try to mix it around between the various games as much as possible so every aspect of AARland gets a chance to have the honor. At least that's my two ducats.

Thanks all!

My week in the sun is over (since yesterday, actually, but I couldn't access the forum) and the time has come to pass the torch.

Despite not being obligated to choose a writer from another forum, I thought it best to venture where no Yogi has gone before, and became enchanted with a tale from a past long gone, the story of a debauched Byzantine princeling booted off to far away county in the Morea after a prank with lethal results, and his struggles to return to the one civilized city in the world: Constantinople.

In this tale I found interesting persons, easily flowing dialouge, superb dramatizations of game events and a healthy dose of quiet humor (not the laugh-yourself-silly type though). Withouth more ado, let me introduce from the CK forum, the artist behind the epic story of The Palaeologi;

thames!

Come on up here and introduce yourself, thames!

Congratulations, thames!

Congratulations for the award.