• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congrats Seel!

Finally, the AwAARd goes to a MotE AAR. A game with so much potential! Congratz!

Finally, the AwAARd goes to a MotE AAR. A game with so much potential! Congratz!

The award isn't technically supposed to go to any AAR...

Wow, thank you very much Nick Giordano for an unexpected honour, and also thanks to everyone for their kind comments. I will respond fully next Sunday when I've had a chance to have a proper look around AARland for a successor.

Unfortunately for the next week I am away from my pc, but rest assured this award has served as the shot in the arm I needed to return to Etienne - it is high time that I finished the General's story.

I'd like to give WritAAR award next to Seelmeister for his March of the Ealges AAR "In the Shadow of Greatness: Etienne's War".

Unlike most AARs, Etienne's War does not necessarily follow one country has a whole but instead follows one individual general during the Napoleonic Wars: Etienne MacDonald. This made reading the AAR more personal and meaningful as I was following the successes and failures of one man instead of the 'faceless' state. So when life's blessings shone upon Etienne I cheered, when the injustices of life clouded Etienne I moaned. Following one man was a very clever idea that I find very original.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the approach I've taken with Etienne, focusing on just one army has certainly made for an interesting game. At least once in the AAR I let the Grande Armee be heavily defeated, all because my attention was focused elsewhere!

A very well deserved recipient and a very deserving AAR. Good choice, Nick – and many congratulations to Seelmeister! My sincerest contrafibularities. ;)

Thank you very much for the kind words Densley.

A wonderful AAR -- one of my own favorites, and I'm not just saying that because he's a colleague. :) I think March of the Eagles has all kinds of untapped potential for AARs, and I'm legitimately surprised that there aren't more. Keep up the good work, Seelmeister!

Thank you Avindian! I couldn't agree more about MotE, it's a very fun and accessible game, and the shorter time frame certainly lends itself to a focus on individuals.

Congrats Seel!

Thank you Tanzhang!

Thank you Belguimruler! I am always happy to see MotE get some attention, I got a lot of time out of that title considering it's price!

Congrats Seelmeister! Will have to go check that out sometime soon :)

Thank you Nick, I hope to see you around :)

Congratulations Seelmeister :)

Thank you Derahan!

With the thank yous out of the way, my turn is over and it is time to nominate a new WritAAR of the Week.

I've tried to dip into a few different forums throughout the week, as well as working through all my subscriptions to find a nominee, and it was far from an easy choice. After due consideration, I'd like to nominate Merrick Chance' as the new WritAAR of the Week. Merrick Chance' has (rather surprisingly) won this award only once before, way back in July 2011, and since then has produced many fine updates to his excellent Lords of France: Roads to the Enlightenment.

Merrick Chance' work has generally been of the history-book genre, and something I particularly enjoy is the immense detail that comes with each update - it is quickly apparent that a lot of research and planning goes into each and every update. The writing is complemented with a mix of in game and real life images, and in particular the choice of maps is excellent. Not just an overview of warfare and expansion, updates focus of political intrigue, religious friction, internal instability and, well, every aspect of history one would expect to find in a text.

Those of you who read the AARlander will be familiar with Merrick Chance' popular contributions on writing big events, three big mistakes of history-book AARs and why he writes. (And those of you who do not read the AARlander, why not?!)

Merrick Chance' first AAR, The Lords of Prussia: from feudalism to modernity (a MMP2 AAR) was regrettably cut short by a corrupt save game, but for those interested there are still ten pages of excellent material, well worth checking out.

So please join me in congratulating our new WritAAR of the Week, Merrick Chance'!

Congratulations, Merrick!

Thank you so much Seelmeister! I'm going to try to produce more over the next month thanks to this award and I'm going to keep an eye on your March of the Eagles AAR (because I've had a desire to write an AAR like that for a while)

Congrats Merrick, and I hope to see you write another terrific AARlander article some time in the near future. :)

Congratulations Merrick! I have actually read much of Lords of France, so can confidently endorse it in full. Maybe one day I'll get round to commenting, eh? ;)

Thank you so much for the appreciation, guys! It's a great honor to have LoF recognized, especially since I'm constantly worried by the niggling thought that it's become inaccessible. And Tanzhang, I'm going to try to get another AARlander out once I get a handle of my next semester's work, and Densley, I'm sure you'll find the time to comment around the time I finally get to the Revolution :happy: (but seriously feel free to comment whenever, your AARs have been fantastic and I'm immensely jealous of how prolific you are!)

Searching for the next writer to honor has been tough. Many of my newly favorite AARs have either gotten honors lately (Densley's or Mondatopotato's work), or haven't updated recently. So all week I've been going through the forums, looking for something to catch my eye. And lord did I find one! TheDanish's The Prosperity of Great Peace: A Ming Story AAR hits all of my sweet spots in an AAR: it deals with a relatively obscure topic (or rather a country that rarely gets the AAR treatment) and one of my favorite historical periods (the Ming Dynasty), it's written very well and with a great deal of knowledge on the subject, and it adds a narrative flair that just keeps you going. The moment I finished it I knew that I had my man. So I'm giving this week's WritAAR of the Week place to TheDanish!

Well done,TheDanish!

"If you were a danish, would you eat yourself? I would." -- Harry Caray?

In all seriousness, congratulations!