• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations Merrick!

Congrats Merrick! :)

And does that really make it 5, coz1? That's almost 1 a year ;)
Please tell me you didn't count all the way back through this thread just for me.

The winners are all chronologically and IIRC per game categorized in the first post.

Well, the time has come. I'd just like to thank (again) everyone has posted here and in the AAR. A satisfied audience is what makes writing AARs worthwhile.

And now to business. There are a number of very good AARs active in the EU3 forum (and probably others, but there are so many hours in the day). I'll take the chance to recommend Kamelot's Occitan Risings and Tweetybird's Muscovites.

But I'll go for what I think is the best of this year's new crop of AARs, which attempts the difficult challenge of mixing narrative, historybook and gameplay elements and brings it off seamlessly with some excellent writing. Plus, the very convincing story of trouble and struggle is a refreshing break from the litanies of "I conquered this, then I conquered that."

My nomination for WritAAR of the Week is CatKnight, for Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade

Congratulations CatKnight!

Last edited:
Congratulations CatKnight! :)

Congratulations !!

Congratulations :)

Nice work, CatKnight! :cool: Great to see you back in action. Congrats!

Thank you everyone, especially Merrick for this honor!

Beyond Tannenberg III is my third attempt to play a campaign with the Teutonic Knights. The first two AARs were played in EU2 and unfortunately didn't make it.

As Merrick mentioned, I'm making an effort to keep this at least reasonably plausible and realistic.

I plan to survive and even prosper as the Knights (one can debate the plausibility of that), but I don't go on WC sprees. First, I'm not that good of a player. Second, just speaking for me personally, I find that a boring read. For me the best stories and AARs have a lot of drama, and I find drama harder to find when no one's left to challenge you.

I've always loved AARland - the stories, yes, but also the people. I've found that the more experienced the member, the more open and friendly they are to newcomers. That's a rare trait compared to other forums I've seen and I think it's why we have such a solid core of writers at all levels and in all games. Though I've wandered away from AARland over the years, I've always made my way back because of that.

Tannenberg is just getting off the ground - it started in 1411 and it's only 1428. If you want to see the last of the holy orders (the Hospitallers are out of the game) struggle to survive, come on over.

Again, thank you very much Merrick, and thank you all. :)

Congratulations! I agree that it's a lot easier to have drama when you're not an all-powerful, all-conquering entity. And drama we have in spades, along the Baltic shores. :) It makes for very compelling reading.

's Great to see you writing again and I look forward to the future of the Teutonic Knights, be it as a continued religious order, or eventually a secular power.

Congratulations CatKnight, and well-deserved too!

Congratulations CatKnight :)