• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Damn, Duke, I'm pretty sure it's well deserved. :)

Problem is that I told myself a shmurtzillion times that I should read your AAR, but quite never managed to take some free time to do so. Free time? What's that? Oh, yes:
smoke_elephant.gif

I suppose you don't realize what it means, given how fast you read (5 minutes to get a comment after updating my AAR!
02.gif
)

Now, I suppose I will have to do that before the end of the week. Wait a minute, I know!
idee-puis-non.gif
I'll delay my own AAR, should be largely enough. :D

Now Duke, you're supposed to step on up to the dias and tell us a bit about yourself. So let's have it...spill... ;) :D

Duke of Wellington said:
Nil - I would be glad to have you along as a reader but don't delay your own story for the sake of mine :) I know what you mean about time its hard to keep up with AARs all the time, theres so many more out there I'd like to read but can't find the tme :( .
Don't worry, I was kidding. Won't be able to post on Wednesday as usual anyway: kinda trying to find a bad excuse. :D Read you soon anyway!

Ahh yes of course :eek:o

AARs were what first got me into this forum. jwolf's Khazak Horde AAR was the first I ever read and still one of my favourites. Since I read that 7 or 8 months ago now I had been keen to write my own AAR. I very nearly started one soon after that. I'm glad I didn't now and I waited longer. After reading so many of the outstanding works on here I learnt a bit about how to write my own AAR but I was still hesitant to start one afterall I didn't want to start one only to run out of inspiration and motivation in a couple of weeks.

Then I was reading ws2_32's Hyper teching Venice World Conversion AAR and he posted this. Some people have suggested that they do not always like to see a winning AAR

That got me thinking maybe I could do a different AAR one that was more a chronicle of a nations decline. It took me a couple of days to think who to play. I ruled out any small one prov nations since an AAR of their decline would be war declared, then annexation. I needed somewhere bigger. I thought about the Mamluks or the Timurds but for some reason I didn't feel compelled to play them. Then I thought of the Golden Horde. I'd never seen them live long and I once tried to play them but gave up in two years thanks to countless revolts. If any nation was going to be unstoppable in their decline surely it was them.

When I began this AAR I really did believe that it would be over in 100 years or so as events and neighbours combined to destroy my empire. I'm glad its worked out this way though its become one the most entertaining games I've ever played.

:D I'm one of those who argued somewhere (but not in the Venice one) that I don't always like to see winning AARs.

I started watching your AAR, very curious to see if you could make them survive. You've done remarkably with them!

Congrats Duke of Wellington! Truly deserved.

Okay, Duke, I've checked your AAR (I've reached 9th page). It's rather good so far. Interesting and well paced. Easy to read too. My preference still goes to 'literary" style AARs though (like "Here there be Dragons" or "Desert Tides"). OTOH, clear indications and screenshots of what actually goes on in game should help me improve my ever laughable skills with the game ;) .

Keep up the good work, and I'll put a comment as soon as I manage to catch up. Cheers :D

I don't like the great literary ones, I like the ones with pictures :p

Well deserved Duke!

GrimPagan said:
Well deserved Duke!
Argh! Never impugned that!!!
0031.gif

:D

Well deserved Duke. It's time I dropped by again and see what's happening with the Horde. :)

Joe

Joe

It times to pass on the torch. Choosing this weeks winner has been quite a time consuming process. But finally I've chosen one.

They started with an AAR of a nation dear to my heart right here . After that one was postponed he has moved on to another equally fascinating AAR. El Imperio de Guatemala contra el Mundo - Guatemala 1936. A tale of the rise of Guatemala and its quest to create a central American empire all the while facing the Allies as enemies. Its a good read. Congratulations Alexus :)

Last edited: