• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, the thread is funny like that. I'll leave it to a mod if they want to give a better explanation, but essentially I think I've read that it's 'broken.'

To start, I would like to thank MM for granting this award. I would also like to thank everyone again for the congrats.

Now, for this weeks award. I shall be awarding Gen. Marshall for his AAR To Reach The Wolga. It is a gripping read with a mix of strategic and tactical details that gives the feeling of reading something akin to a popular history work. When I was reading through the AAR, I could not help but recall reading Anthony Beevor's Stalingrad. Very good stuff and worth a read.

Congratulations, and well deserved, Gen. Marshall!

Congrats General. Well deserved.

BUT!!!!!

Another blasted HOI3 AAR? Can any other game get some love????

I mean that is what six in a row from the same damn game.

Thanks a lot, enigmamcmxc! (Is it Roman MCMXC as in 1000+(1000-50)+(50-10)=1990? If so, I think it should be MXM: 1000+(1000-10)=1990.)

Your "a mix of strategic and tactical details that gives the feeling of reading something akin to a popular history work" observation is spot on - I've been trying to make it a detailed history-book which goes down into the deep caverns of detail from time to time (and to Ikarases' dismay). Something which appeals to CK2, EU3 and V2 players (more generally: HOI3 noobs) as well, because it's not that attached to the game.

There's a wide range of commenters in To Reach the Wolga, most with their own AARs which I have admired for over a year, before starting my own. And making my own AAR is really refreshing and revealing. Refreshing because I'm finally able to make an AAR as a mix of those elements I liked most, and revealing because there are some things which are a lot harder than I thought. Prime examples are making a coherent story and deciding which battles to include (and in which order).

Anyhow, I'm glad you like it, and hopefully I can continue to satisfy you all! :)

Congratulations, and well deserved, Gen. Marshall!
Thanks - yet you should drop some more comments in-thread ;)

Congrats General. Well deserved.

BUT!!!!!

Another blasted HOI3 AAR? Can any other game get some love????

I mean that is what six in a row from the same damn game.
That comment is duly noted, and fortunately there are more than enough AARs from other games which are simply brilliant.

A very large congratulations to Gen. Marshall! Well done indeed!

Congrats Gen. Marshall!

Congrats Gen. Marshall!

Lol sorry EtzelHoveri! Whatever game I am writing an AAR for, tends to be the forum I hand around the most. I concur though, there are a lot of excellent AARs out there in the other sections. My personal fave is one from Vicky 2 about the story of a mercenary company and the downfall of world empires: absolutely brilliant ... although I cant remember the name of it right now lol.

Gen Marshal, in regards to the username ... I stole it off an album I like :happy: Perhaps marketing beats logic? :p

Congratulations, Gen Marshall! Pretty impressive winning this award for your first AAR but you have clearly learnt a lot from commenting on other AARs because you write very well for your audience. A very nice balance of pictures, text and story development. Well done.

Well done General Marshall!

Congratulations, Gen. Marshall. I'll have to check out your AAR.