• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems I missed last week, so a little late but still congrats TreizeV

And then onto this weeks winner. Nice work Remble, congratulations :)

Well what to say ... other than this is a very pleasant surprise, for which I thank TreizeV very much for the nomination.

Thank you for all of your kind comments.

Finding a worthy successor is not going to be easy as my shortlist became shorter with another weekly award winner. I will look for a newer writer if possible but may nominate an 'older' hand.

Having read back through this particular thread I noticed that in its early stages the winners customarily gave some insight to themselves and their AAR's, so I will do that.

A little bit about me firstly. I am in my early 40's and have been playing Strategy games almost my entire life. I have spent most of my life in the Royal Navy and retired a couple of years ago and moved to the US where my wife hails from.

I began, like a lot of people, with the most basic of Strategy games that was easy to learn and difficult to master. That is Chess of course. Board games were a natural progression until such time as they took up too much floor space, at which point the computer came along to make things a lot easier. Strategy games have always been my game of choice so I was bound to find HoI eventually. I have been playing this for a number of years now.

'Setting Sun' is a follow on of sorts to 'Creek Without a Paddle' as it depicts the Japanese side of the 1944 scenario. I stuck with the formula I used in my first AAR as I didn't think it would be prudent to alter what appears to be a popular style. The style is not uncommon on the forums but is not seen too much in HoI.

I suppose it would be considered a mix of styles with a lot of gameplay type posts with explainations as well as the monthly meetings which allow me to include some narrative. The occasional interaction between leaders also allows me to put more narrative in when I think it is appropriate.

'Setting Sun' is just as detailed as 'Creek' but the screenshots are better presented and there is more narrative which makes it a slightly more evolved version but along the same general lines. This is probably why I came to win this award as it usually goes to narrative writers more often than not, as it probably should do as writing is the main theme.

Why it seems to be so popular could be because I decided to write my AAR's as I would like to read one if I was on the reading end of things. I like all types of AAR's but like a lot of people I am not always in the mood to read through paragraphs of text, nor do I always like to read pure gameplays. I chose a mixture of the two leaning more on gameplay for the most part.

Gaining accolades is always nice and is a bonus. Readers award these accolades and without them there would be none. I go to great lengths to try and keep my readers happy. Happy readers keep posting comments which keep me going when inspiration runs dry and they add a great deal to any AAR. I actually find myself reading an AAR for the comments sometimes and just skimming the actual AAR content. Probably not a good thing to confess but I do read a lot of AAR's.

Comments like those made by Jon Young and Jaspume above this is what makes writing highly satisfying. Those type of comments are what provide inspiration and are more precious than any award could be. I am very fortunate to receive such praise and it is a very humbling experience.

I have no screenshots and this is tending towards a narrative so I will get off my little soapbox now.​

Nice speech, Remble. Feel free to stay on the soap box as long as you want.

The time has come to nominate a successor. Picking just one writAAR was not an easy task as there are many excellent writAARs in the various forums. One particular person did stand out from the many and so without further ado I give you Trouble in the East - WiF Japan AAR by Klaipedietis. He is not a new writAAR but is deserving of this award. Funnily enough it is also Japan that he writes about with a careful eye on historical facts. The presentation is also excellent.

Congratulations Klaipedietis!

Well done Klaipedietis, congratulations :)

Many congratulations. Always nice to see new writAARs.

Congratulations Klaipedietis!

Well done Klaipedietis ! XD

Congratulations Klaipedietis! :)

Congratulations! :cool:

Firstly, I would like to thank Remble for nominating me. He really surprised me. However, I still consider myself a new writAAR, since I finished only one AAR. My first AAR was really just an experiment. I wanted to know what it feels writing AARs and, after receiving two nominations in the AAR showcase and tons of positive comments, I was hooked.

My current Japan AAR is a bit more "advanced". I'm not trying to pursue historical paths, but I try to make it seem
as historical as possible. During my years with HOI I realized that it is a poor history simulator ;D

Secondly, I would like to thank Fernando Torres for his great mod. We would have a less interesting AAR if not for the challenges, provided by the WiF mod ;]

And finally, I would like to thank all my readers and everyone here who congratulated me. I hope that this nomination will attract even more readers, because it did encourage me to write better and post more often ;D

Last edited: