+ Reply to Thread
Page 178 of 352 FirstFirst ... 78 103 128 153 168 176 177 178 179 180 188 203 228 253 278 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,560 of 7029

Thread: WritAAR of the Week: rorlegion

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome

Congratulations, CatKnight!
    Stand up, all victims of oppression,
    For the tyrants fear your might!
    Don't cling so hard to your possessions,
    For you have nothing if you have no rights!
    Let racist ignorance be ended,
    For respect makes the empires fall!
    Freedom is merely privilege extended,
    Unless enjoyed by one and all.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Germain
    What an unfortunate page break.

Congratulations CatKnight! Don't finish too soon; let me catch up first!
    I know, don't you hate that when you post an update on the last post of the page

Anyways, congratulations Catknight
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

The Father of AARland Lord Durham's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Nice way to be welcomed back. Congratulations, and now finish the damned thing, CatKnight!!
    Current AAR: The Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok: In the Shadow of the Great Old Ones

Follow the link to read The Pariah. For more Lovecraft style horror, try The Crane Horror and my Holmes/Lovecraft story The Case of the Galloway Eidolon. All are free to read in the Lovecraft eZine.

Available: The Saglek Incident in the anthology Sha'Daa: Pawns and Witiko in the anthology Bigfoot Terror Tales: Vol 1

Also: Plains of Hell in the anthology Lawyers in Hell & Colony in the anthology Rogues in Hell, continuing the HUGO award winning Heroes in Hell series, edited by Janet Morris

For a complete list of my AARs go to The Ink Well. Visit my Website for news, reviews and story excerpts.

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Congrats CatKnight!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Blasted Conniving Roman General_BT's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Awards
    My AARs:
    The Good One - Rome AARisen, a Byzantine AAR (Third map epilogue, 5-02-2012!)
    Table of Contents
    The Funny One (In Theory): Vikan Vojislavljevic is a Fool (Dead)
    The HOI2 One (Dead): Two Alexanders: Greece in the Age of Conflict (HOI2-Doomsday)
    The Teenage Girl One: Dear Diary, by Helene Palialogos (NEW UPDATE 06-10-10!)

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Very nice choice. Congratulations CatKnight
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congrats to CatKnight and, belatedly, to Director as well. I still intend to catch up with A Special Providence eventually!
    Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in the ancient Greek republics: freedom for the slave-owners
    VI Lenin

You could have waited until he'd finished Resurrection, before making this award. Still .. That said ... It is most deserved for a most splendid story.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congrats, CatKnight. Truly a well-deserved award.
    EU2 1.08 Nov. 19 beta
    Victoria 1.03b
    HoI 1.06c

After Action Reports-aholics Anonymous (AARA) - Founding member

Check out my first and so far only AAR - Balance on the edge of a knife - an English Grand Campaign (EU2)

-------------------------------------------------------
    "Should have" or "should've", but definitely not "should of"

Cisár všetkých Slovákov demokratickid's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    A hearty congrats, CatKnight!
    Current AAR: Das Vereinigte Königreich von Mitteleuropa - Last Updated: October 19, 2011
    My illustrious Inkwell is right here for your enjoyment!
    AWARDED: Irish Shamrock Cookie by King_Richard_XI
    I'VE BEEN CANONIZED

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I would like to thank the Academy...

...er...

First, thank you Director! This was a very nice surprise. Thanks also to all of you, and also to anyone and everyone who's commented on my stories over the years. We all like to say we keep writing because it interests us, and that's true...but seeing comments is always a nice little jolt for me. Director (and others) have spoken eloquently on the importance of our community.

I want to instead talk about the most important piece of advice I've ever received as a writer. Without it I probably wouldn't be writing this today, and definitely would have abandoned 'Resurrection' years ago. It was over in the SolAARium, and you can read the original conversation here.

After 2.5 years, and 160 chapters of about 1,000 words each, I was stuck. I'd started so many subplots with so many characters I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to bring everyone together. I knew (kinda) how I wanted the story to end, and I had some idea how I wanted each subplot to resolve, but getting there seemed impossible.

Coz1, Amric, Director and stnylan, some of the most experienced writers on this board, jumped in after me. Their advice varied somewhat, but the general theme seemed clear enough. I needed to stop what I was doing and get organized.

After talking to them, and I believe a PM or two, I opened a blank screen and started typing...everything. Each plot, how I wanted it to resolve, and the essential steps to get it there. Then I put everything in order and started writing.

I always feared plotting would take all the creativity out of writing. I'm the kind of person who's naturally not a good editor/re-writer, because once I've written something, I find re-working it...boring. I feared if I started pinning down what I wanted to happen when, then actually writing the scenes would be like going over it again. Boring.

Not so. Looking at my notes from that time, compared to what actually happened, there were still an awful lot of changes. The key for me was that I kept the outline very loose and flexible. So long as my characters made progress towards their goal, then I was content to let them explore. Just knowing the general direction I wanted the story to go solved more cases of writer's block then I can count.

I would say to any writer: Have some idea where you're going, and how to get there. You can change it later if something better comes to mind, but it's vital to remember that you're in charge of your work. Not your characters. (Not even your notes.)

Thanks to their advice, Resurrection will finish on Thursday at an even 240 chapters ... or at 240,000 words, approximately the size of a bloody trilogy. Otherwise - I wouldn't have made it.

The other piece of advice I'd offer to any writer would be to ask questions. Ask your readers, ask fellow writers you respect, or even post in the SolAARium: If you're lost, confused or not sure where to go from here, then odds are someone else has been down that road and mapped the terrain. We're a community. Use what resources we have available to you.

(Just don't be surprised if someone PMs you for help someday. )

Thanks again Director and everyone!
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Excellent advice, CatKnight - I too learned the value of organization the hard way, and I too have a vast, sprawling AAR ('Dragons') to show for it. Three years in the making, and I still have the scars from the mental ulcers...

Anyone who has problems can count on the people of this forum for help - I know this is true, from my own experience. All you have to do is ask... every author I know is delighted to have a chance to help. 'No job too big, no problem too small', that's the motto engraved over the Solarium door.

Chief Ragusa, if I'd waited for him to finish it I wouldn't have still had the baton to pass it on...
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congrats CatKnight and a late congrats to you too Director! Nice to see some old hats still getting some love along with all our new members.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

asd
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k club

Congrats CatKnight!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thanks again everyone!

I will pick someone some time next week. I just wanted to take my moment in the sun to report that 'Resurrection' is now COMPLETE after 4 years, 5 months and 1 day.

Drinks are on Director!
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    Congratulations CatKnight!

Sons of Santiago - Restored Narrative AAR for Victoria II

Last Update: 25/09/2012

-------------------------------------------------
    The Inkwell - All my, and many others, AARs in one place!
    I've Been Canonized! and made Patron Saint of TimeTravellers

+ Reply to Thread