• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations. :)

Ooh! Elias, I just took a look at your latest AAR and I'm very impressed.

I just purchased EU II yesterday (on order, will arrive shortly), and as I'm within 1 game-year of finishing my Vicky AAR, I'm considering doing an EU II AAR next.

Yours is very well written, and it's the Habsburg Empire that I'm probably going to try to play. I'll read through yours to get pointers on how to!

Rensslaer

I cannot tell you how proud (and pleased) I am of the fact that the WoW has continued on in the proud tradition that is, and has been, AARland. This award has been around since 2002 thanks to the tireless efforts of myself (tipping the hat, of course ;) ), Craig Ashley, Lord Durham, Stroph1, 2Coats, Valdemar, Vigilantsldr, Warspite (the originator) and you, the latest recipients. It has seen winners from EU2, HoI, Victoria and then throughout the entire AAR forum.

Because of that, I wanted to go back and make sure that all past winners got their full due. If you go to the first post of this thread, you will now find that all past recipients are listed alphabetically with the date in which they won the award listed after that. This should assist future winners when it comes time for them to pick their successor. It is easy to choose long standing members due to their high quality work, and it can be certainly deserving, but there are also many newcomers who are just as worthy of being considered. Let's not punish either - the old for being well-known and the new for being unknown.

I would ask that those that win going forward try to match that list with the great writing being done along side the past success of our members. There is nothing wrong with winning the award more than once (and we have many that have), but I and others have always envisioned this award as one that not only rewards great work but that also invites new people into the fold. Point being - let's try to spread it around as much as possible while still recognizing the great work being done.

In fact, it would probably be helpful for the latest winner to remind their successor of that fact so that time does not interfere with this ideal. If you remember such, please try to include that suggestion with your pick. As well, you might also include a few of the new winner's past works to place them - i.e. so and so has done this and that before, but their latest work is of such calibre that it cannot be denied that they have excelled in the past week.

I hope that the alpha listing is helpful in not just rewarding great writing but also encouraging newcomers to contribute even more than they already have. After all, this place runs on the blood, sweat and tears of the people who put such onto the virtual page for our enjoyment. Let us try to recognize both new and old - great writers all.

Edit - Oh, and one more thing - remember that this award is for the writing itself - the author's latest acheivement, rather than the specific work they are doing that writing in. That's what the Showcase is for. This award is to single them out and say "Great show! The writing of late is incredible!"

Last edited:
Great stuff. May it continue for many ages.

Taking a cue from Coz1, I would like to nominate a newcomer to being a writaar that I happened to find during a rare visit to the HoI2 aar forum, Hardin.

This is his first work:
African Stalingrad

Though it was rather short, I found the relation of his strategy and the events of the war clear, conscise, and, most importantly of all, interesting. I read the whole thing not because it was short, but because it was an interesting account, more than just a logbook of the war. Hardin says he will soon do another HoI2 aar with the Dutch, using similar strategy. All I can suggest is that that one be a bit longer and have some screenshots. :cool: Still, this is a promising start. Congrats!

Congrats Hardin. I'll take a look at your latest work since it looks like a quick read. Hopefully winning this will spur you on to some more AAR work. Take a bow.

Wow - I am honoured...

/bows

Thanks chaps. I actually wrote that AAR up for members of my (multi) gaming community (www.pieinc.co.uk/community/) - I hoped to inspire a few more to try the game out as I was inspired myself by another PIE member who did an Italian AAR on our forums. I will have to get him to post it here too :)

Anyway thanks again...

Hardin, congratulations! Quite an honor to recieve the WoW after only 3 posts! :eek:

Welcome! I hope we can look forward to more of your work on these pages. That's what keeps us all going!

...and Coz1, thank you for indexing the past winners! That's just another example of all the work you put in to help make things around here entertaining for all of us. Now... Go tell us what Sonny's doing In the West!

Rensslaer

Hear Hear

Congratulations, old mate! :)

Just read your AAR Hardin. Good gameplay and story. Congrats on being named WOW.

Joe

This has been an awfully long week... ;)

Did we scare Hardin away? Should Elias pick another?

Rensslaer

That sounds fair to me. I sent Hardin a PM as a reminder knowing that he is new to the place and have not heard back. So Elias, if you don't mind, choose another worthy successor for this week.

coz1 said:
That sounds fair to me. I sent Hardin a PM as a reminder knowing that he is new to the place and have not heard back. So Elias, if you don't mind, choose another worthy successor for this week.

Sorry guys afraid rl kind of overwhelmed me this week.

Not sure if I am too late but my choice would be:

Wildcard - An Alternative Canadian AAR by Phoenix Dace.

It is still early days but looks like being a great story...

Elias - strike that, reverse. And no problem, Hardin. Better late than never. Glad RL let you get back just in time to carry on. :)

Here's the link for Phoenix Dace's AAR: Wildcard - An Alternative Canadian AAR.

Congrats Phoenix Dace. There is no question that I need to get around HoI2 and read more of the great work being done there. Enjoy the week and step on up and tell us about yourself.