• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To hold you over till the next update, here are the screenshots from Chapter 3.

provnce-1166.bmp

arelate-1168.bmp

diplomacy-1168.bmp

It's been a while since the last time I checked the AARs forum, but I'm glad you started another MES related AAR... and with Aragón! Good luck and remember to report any bug you find around ;)

Excellent start, Corruption! I'm still on holidays, but I try to keep an eye on this AAR (blessed Internet ;) )

Chapter 4 will be posted tonight, sorry for the delay. I had internet troubles on Thursday, and last night I didn't have a chance to go on.

Catknight: I have some mahjor wars on my hands now, but afterwards, who knows?

Storey You were right, as it turns out.

WColeridge Its bringing in some cash.

Obelixeke Bugs will be reported, so far I havent encountered any.

mfigueras Enjoy your holidays, I'm glad your reading.

Fodoron Reconquest will happen, but do to BB constraints, not for a few years.

Zenek K. Most of the random events in this mod are negative, but not as bad as a BB increase.

Here is the present situation:

My current computer's hard drive is now dead. That includes the file for this AAR and many other important files. I have ordered a new PC (I was getting one anyway, but this incident made it more urgent) and it should arrive in the next week or two. When it arrives, I will restart this AAR in 1150, this time backing everything up. I'm sorry for the inconvienience.

Corruption said:

My current computer's hard drive is now dead. That includes the file for this AAR and many other important files. I have ordered a new PC (I was getting one anyway, but this incident made it more urgent) and it should arrive in the next week or two. When it arrives, I will restart this AAR in 1150, this time backing everything up. I'm sorry for the inconvienience.
Sorry to hear that, Corruption. I'll patienly wait for your return anyways ;)

Corruption said:

Sad news. Many AARs ended that way. :(

But we've got your word that you will start again. :D

This post is being made from my new PC, so this AAR should restart soon.

I'm going to try slightly new style, as if the AAR is an excerpt from a history text book.

I'll need few days to set everything up, but there is a holiday Monday, giving me a good three day weekend. The introduction and possibly the first Chapter should be up by then.

Intoduction

Introduction: The Union of Catalonia and Aragon

Though Catalonia was established in the early 9th century as a buffer state between the Frankish Empire and the Moors, the region’s importance greatly grew in the year 1137. On August 11, 1137, in Huesca, events occurred that would change the course of Catalan history. Ramon Berenguer IV, the Count of Barcelona was betrothed to the three year old Petronila of Aragon. They were married in 1150, when she came of age. Her father, Ramiro II of Aragon returned to his life as a bishop after she was born, leaving her as the ruler of Aragon. Ramon Berenguer never claimed the title of king- he was called the Prince of Aragon.

With a dynastic union secured, Ramon Berenguer could now turn his attention to the reconquista. In 1147, the Count of Barcelona assisted Castile in the capture of Almeria. In 1148, he waged war on the Kingdom of Valencia and Murcia, capturing Tortosa. The next year, Ramon Berenguer IV conquered Fraga, Lleida, and Mequinenza. The reconquista of Catalonia was now complete, and the stage was set for Aragon’s rise to power.

It was hard to find info, but I did the best I could. BTW, what are your thoughts on the font, size and color? Are they helpful or annoying? I'll start playing today, so the first chapter should be up by tomorrow night.

The Font size is good! (The title may be slightly too large, but no worries.)

The colors may need to be a little lighter. The title's hard to read. The body isn't bad - could be lighter by a few strakes, but certainly readable.

Good luck (again)!

Chapter 1: The Capture of Valencia

In 1150, a new phase of Aragon’s history had begun. In early January, Ramon Berenguer IV began the process of increasing his central authority and taking power away from the nobles. Many nobles disliked this decrease in power, but there was little that they could do against Ramon Berenguer.

On May 1st, the Count of Barcelona sent his niece to be married to the son of the French king. This marriage improved the kingdom’s relations with its Northern neighbor. With his Northern border secured, Ramon Berenguer looked to the Muslims in the South. Throughout July, the armies of the realm were raised. In September, an alliance was formed with Leon. By the autumn of 1150, the armies of Aragon numbered 11,000 men. They were led by Ponc de Cervello, and Guillem R. de Montcada. On December 5, Ramon Berenguer cancelled his treaty of military access through the Emirate of Murcia. War was declared on February 15.

The armies of Aragon quickly moved southwards, laying siege to Valencia and Murcia. However, an organized counter-attack by the emir’s armies between April 24 and May 2 broke the siege at Murcia. The retreating army of Guillem R. de Montcada joined Ponc de Cervello in his siege of Valencia, and the city was captured by September 1st. The armies advanced to Murcia, and after a long siege lasting nearly 2 years, the city fell on July 2nd, 1153. A peace treaty was signed which gave the city of Valencia, and its surrounding lands to Aragon, in addition to large sums of money. Ramon Berenguer continued his reconquista in Catalonia, and by late August, the last Muslim strongholds in Catalonia had fallen.

The next few years were a time of increased prosperity in Aragon. The king’s sister was married to a Prince of Leon, improving the relations of the two kingdoms. By December of 1154, the Ustages de Barcelona was compiled. This code of laws helped the kingdom’s stability. In January of 1156, missionaries were sent to Valencia, in hopes pf converting the Muslims there. On June 8, Portugal joined Aragon’s alliance. The stage was set for the next phase of Aragon’s history.

Are these colors better?

I took about 20 screenshots for this Chapter, but due to Photobucket having problems, I can't post them. If anyone knows a different hosting site, let me know.

fotoheap.com

Corruption said:
Next update will be late tonight/tomorrow.
Ok, so I didn't update. Hopefully by the weekend there will be an update. but I really am having a busy month. Things will hopefully calm down soon, so I can get back to writing. I am very sorry about the lack of updates, and I hope you understand.

Chapter 2: The Age of Prosperity, and the Big Push South

Provence, a county in Southern France was ruled by the nephew of Ramon Berenguer IV. Provence had been having troubles with its neighbor Toulouse, as each country had been competing over control of the lands north of the Pyrenees mountains. The situation got worse in the winter of 1156-1157, when the Counts of Toulouse tried to incite rebellions in Provence. By February, Ramon Berenguer III of Provence was begging for his uncle’s help. The Count of Barcelona replied by sending aid, and the revolts were quickly crushed.

During this time, trade between the Almohads in Iberia and North Africa shifted. By the spring of 1157, the Andalucia region became the predominant center of trade in the area. Merchants from the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa began to trade there, making it a valuable location. In the autumn of 1158, Ramon Berenguer IV decided to devaluate the realm’s currency, bringing in large amounts of cash but greatly increasing inflation. This partially destabilized the kingdom, but due to this time of peace and prosperity, recovery was quick.

In January 1159, a great shipbuilding campaign began in Barcelona, producing 10 fine war galleys by April 1161. These ships were to be used by the King to establish Aragon’s presence in the Mediterranean Sea. A troubadour composed a song about the Great and Noble Ramon Berenguer of Barcelona, and by July 1161 it had been heard by many foreign rulers. This greatly increased his reputation. In the summer of 1162, the old Count Ramon Berenguer ordered the recruitment of 6000 new soldiers throughout the realm. It is unknown what his intentions were, because Ramon Berenguer IV, Prince of Aragon, and Count of Barcelona died on August 8, 1162. He was succeeded by his son, who ruled as Alfons II, the King of Aragon, and Count of Barcelona.

In October of 1162, the Muslims of Valencia revolted in response to missionary activity trying to convert them. While the rebellion was quickly crushed, many of Alfons II’s advisors suspected that the Almohads may have been behind the revolt. Furthermore, Portugal was occupying several Almohad provinces, and Aragon wanted to make sure that they got there fair share of the reconquista. War was declared the following August, and though Provence dishonored, all of Aragon’s other allies supported them. On September 27, 1164, Toledo was captured, and the Trade centers of Andalucia were secured by June 29, 1165. On August 26, the Almohads offered Toledo and Andalucia in exchange for peace, and Alfons II accepted. The next major stage of the reconquista had been completed.