• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2952)

Emperor of Wisconsin
Apr 13, 2001
Visit site
IGC 1.8, Free Ireland, United Prussia, Balkanization, Free Burgundy

From "My Life" by Daniel McCollum

It was with great trepedation that I recieved the letter from the Wallacian King on Janary 1st, 1492. After having been so, unceremonially thrown out of the Empire of Hungary, it had been my beleif that no other monarch should wish to hold me close and give me employment. It seemed surly to be a trick of some foul design, to lure me into a compromising situation.

Sadly, at this very time in my life I had lost nearly a quarter of my weight from wandering, and had been forced to scavenge for my meals. My last employment was as an advisor to a group of Brigands, who unduly objected to my efforts to create feelings of good will beween them and the neighboring villages. Some savages just do not understand the diplomatic craft.

And so, feeling rather weak in the stomach, and weary in mind, I accepted King Ruba cel Mare's offer and traveled to his capital to see what could be done. I was struck by the awful conditions in which this king lived and, more importantly, in which I was expected to carry out the rest of my life, hopefully a long time in deed.

My first order of buisness was to promote the local baliff to a tax collector and hoped that this brought some much needed managment to the money collecting agencies of this small kingdom. Sadly the effort to find a suitable man squanered nearly half of the treasury, and took nearly a year, no doubt becuase we had to go out of country to find a tax collector of some regard. Finally it my was idea to hire an old friend of mine, a certian Callebresi from the lands of Venice to carry out the duties.

The King, however, did not share my enthuse for the art of tax collecting, and onyl saw his coffers half full! I attempted to explain myself, but hfailign to do so in a good enough fashion, i was ordered to set the goal of conquering the Western Black Sea coast from the Ottoman Empire. I countered, pointign out that his majesty was still a vasille to said Empire, and it would be lucky to just control Wallacia itself in 10 years. The King snidly ordered me to keep that as a goal as well, which I decided to do.

THe line of the Wallacian kings has a tendency to be a very violent line indeed. They are a foul and violent people who love war, even when they are incapable of carrying out such a feat. Fearing for my safty and comfort, I decided that it would surly be a great idea to at least make plans to carrty out our Monarch's goals.

In order to accomplish this I have sent our ambassador's far and widetrying to create alliances with our neihbors and fostering a form of understandign between us. There is a boogyman in this region, the vast Ottoman Empire, and it is my goal to point this out, frequently, while carrying on negotiations. The result is an alliance between the Kingdom of Wallacia, Serbia and Greece meant to contain the growing influence of the damnable Turk.

I also set about plans to increase the size of our small military, which is hard with the Turks breathing down our backs nad demanding to know why we need a military to begin with! It is, of course, my duty to explain to them that we fear Hungarian agression agaisnt our poor state, and shall build up ourforces as so that they will not have to bother with such a small neucence in the future. The arrogant men seem to be satisfied.

By this time the Army of Wallacia has been brought up to contain 15000 footmen, and 5000 calvary. THe art of cannon is known to our workers, but such a devise woudl take years of funds to create at our current ecnomic rating!

On December 5th, 1498 I am summoned into the presence of King Ruba cel Mare to recieve the goodnews. Turkey has declared war upon the Makelukes. I was asked if I knew what this meant, and I had a sinking suspision that I did....the KIng had just sent an official envoy to Constantinople to declare tht his vassilization was no longer acceptable, and that there now existed a formal state of war between our two nations. I was seen to burst into tears, many nobles believed from my sheer exictment! At least, I was told, our allies where going to join in as well!!

coming next..... "The War of Wallacian Independance"

Great AAR!

I appreciate that you give a try to a country that is not played so often, but please do not make offending comments ... :mad:
THe line of the Wallacian kings has a tendency to be a very violent line indeed. They are a foul and violent people who love war, even when they are incapable of carrying out such a feat.
For more than 2000 years, Dacians and their descendants Romanians (Moldovans, Wallachians, etc.) never loved war and never had expansionistic wars. Moreover, over those centuries they lost half of their initial territory. Maybe they were violent, but only against aggressors (like turks, magyars and bolgars), whose intentions were to ripe them of their ancestorial land, but they never were "a foul and violent people who love war" as you state.

So, please, I would appreciate you do not make such comments...

I'm sure Daniel didn't mean to insult, it's all part of the "color" of an arr and its fiction. Numerous times I've remarked in my aar's in the same way ..

Sapura

I doubt he meant anything "mean" towards those peoples, you must also remember that this is an alternate history and a "game" that has no far reaching effects on what wallachians do in real life. So please understand that alot of people make AAR's becouse they think its fun to wright, often not knowing a thing about the actual history of the country. The way you reacted deffinetly does not maker sense if you are trying to say that your people aren't violent, besides he was talking about the king, not really the country. So I ask you to let others wright in there own way, becouse free speech is a gift that should not be oppressed. :)

Great AAR!! I hope you dont let people who would rather push there own veiws on you stop this wonderful AAR!

Splangy, if you think its funny I will leave it to you to enjoy it.

I am not from Persia (or present-day Iran), but at least I studied thoroughly their history before making any comments while writing my AAR.

The way you reacted deffinetly does not maker sense if you are trying to say that your people aren't violent, besides he was talking about the king, not really the country.
I reacted not only to the word "violent", but also "foul", and even if these words were about the king, it is not right to say such things about a man you do not event know anything about. It's like someone that does not know you will say that you are "a violent and foul man".

P.S. If you feel somehow offended by my comments, please disregard - no offence intended. :eek:

I really meant no offence from the comment about the Wallacian king being violent and foul. Aftger all I was speaking from the viewpoint of the advisor who has a tendency of seeing everyone as 'foul' in one way or another. After all, said people are not HIM :) He's not to fond of Hungarian's either after beign expelled from their country. I, my self, do not share his views.

Originally posted by Cornelius
I appreciate that you give a try to a country that is not played so often, but please do not make offending comments ... :mad:

For more than 2000 years, Dacians and their descendants Romanians (Moldovans, Wallachians, etc.) never loved war and never had expansionistic wars. Moreover, over those centuries they lost half of their initial territory. Maybe they were violent, but only against aggressors (like turks, magyars and bolgars), whose intentions were to ripe them of their ancestorial land, but they never were "a foul and violent people who love war" as you state.

So, please, I would appreciate you do not make such comments...

Daniel wrote nothing wrong, he is portraying the fictional characters/traits within his story line (AAR) nothing more. To expect one to be as historical as anyone person desires is purely fictional in itself. Thank you for clarifying historical accuracy cornelious but it has nothing to do with Daniels story line as he has taken on a history of his own, like so many other writers in here.

Enjoy!

Exerts from "War of Wallacian Independance" by Professor Robert Stefenopolis of the University of Athens:

Despite the great amount of national attention given to the "War of Wallacian Independance", it was at the time considered to have been a largly bungled affair. It would not be until the late 18th Century that Nationalists would attribute it such importance.

In order to get to the bottom of this war, we shall first have to strip away much of the Romance that was layered on in future years. Let us start at the beginning.

On December 5th, 1498 the Wallacian ambassador entered the palace of the Ottoman Emperor and dramaticly ripped up the treaty which forced vassilization upon the Wallacian people. He then announced that "We shall stand for this tyranny no more, and nor shall out allies!" and stormed out.

The effect within the Imperial chambers is hard to discern, for very few records are still intact. However, we can easily figure that the Sultan was not amused, although most likly not worried either. After all, the war with the Mameluke was progressing well, and there seemed to be little reason to beleive that he could not deal with a coalition of smaller states on the Balkan frontier. He would be proven right.

The war itself progressed rather well for the Wallacians and their allies. Serbian troops quickly corssed the boarder and began to assail Bulgaria, while the Greeks attempted to seige Albania and take it back into their fold. The "Army of Wallacia" itself marched Eastward, defeated a smallish Turkish army on the Black Sea coast, and began to lay seige to the city.

Soon, however, events began to turn against the allies. The Army of Wallacia was defeated in combat by an army of Turkish regulars, who used their cannons to great affect. They where able to drive the army back into Wallacia proper, persued, and sent it once again in flight into Serbia. THe Turks then attemtped to assault the gates of the Wallacian capital, but failed miserably, only to be driven back by the reknweed vigor of the King's forces.

Such victory was short lived as another Turkish army arrived and once again drove down the domestic forces, and lay siege to the capital. Now deciamted, the Wallacian forces where forced into a game of cat and mouse attempting to flee the two Turkish armies at all cost.

On March 20th, 1500 the Turks once again stormed the walls of the capital and drove back the defenders where they captured the King as well as his advisor Daniel McCollum. The king looked with raging fury at the Turkishj General who arrived to dictate terms to thew end of the war, it was said that Advisor McCOllum fainted at the first sight of a sword and did nto revive for several hours, where a he was said to have consumed three flasks of wine before he stopped shaking violently.

With the King imprisoned, the Turks demanded that the Wallacian's turn over the entire contents of their treasury to the Sultan, which was agreed upon. Despite this great set back to Wallacian plans in the Balkan penninsula, the agreement of Vassilization between Wallacia and Turkey was effecvtivly eneded, there by granting them their 'independance' from foreign rule.

Despite what Cornelius says, I think you've done a great job, Daniel (how many times have all of us insulted other religions in aars without actually meaning it? Please keep things in context). Please continue with this aar, but don't ignore the other one!

Wow, insults breed replies... I ought to try that in MY AAR... hehe. Good AAR here, though... I like the countries that aren't played a lot... where's Wallacia again? :p

Exert from "The Empire of Wallacia" by Randal Lord

With the near total defeat by the Kingdom of Wallacia at the end of the "War of Wallacian Independance", the entire nation entered into a long period of rebuilding and restructuring that it would not leave until many years late.

These where dark times for the Wallacians. The war had won their kingdom freedom of Turkish dominance, but only at the cost of nearly three forths of their army, which would take years to rebuild, but also the loss of nearly 50 duckets, which had taken years to save.

To add insult to injury, the Kingdom's advisor Daniel McCollum was forced to flee after the King overheard him make derogatory comments on the line of calling Wallacians "Dirty, cowardly beasts unable to run a kingdom if their life depended upon it". Havign been forced to previously flee Hungary for similiar incidents, McCollum was run out of Wallacia as well. He was later to appear running the Burgundian forces during the "Great Western War" where that kingdom was forced to cede the French-Compte to Navaria. He retired shortly there after to write his memoirs.

Raba cel Mare sunk further into depression with the collapse of the Balkan allaince which McCollum ahd worked rather hard for. Despite beign able to renew the treaty with Serbia, both the Greeks and Georgians sought to escape the blundering Wallacian administration and to create their own alliance. It was said that the King took to drinking more than he should in these times.

However, all was not lost, and the senior king still had some diplomatic skill left to him. In 1505 he was albe to sucessfully add Spain to his alliance, although failed multiple times to also gain Moldovia.

The addition of SPain was a great boost to the King's confidence in his kingdom, as well as many of the nobels. With a major pwoe on their side, they would nto be forced to take the brunt of damages themselves in the next war, or so it was believed at the time. With renewed vigor more and more moeny was funneled into the military and the technological fields.

It was during this time that the first artillary unit was brought into existence in the Wallacian army, when 10 cannons where purchessed by the King. Also another set of 8,000 infantry where drawn from the peasent class.

In 1508, things where seeming to turn around for the Kingdom of Wallacia. Her merchants where expandign through Europe, having gaiend a suprising 5 shares of stock in Venice, and where alos present in all of the other major trading centers of the continent. The Wallacian army had returned to a state close to, if not superior to, the time jsut preceding the "War of Wallacian Independance".

On a cold January night, King Raba cel Mare passed away after a bought of pneumonia casued by his insistance to review his troops during an early December blizzard. He would be remembered as a King with grand desires, but who acted rashly and was uanble to pull of his grand schemes. It would fall upon his sucessor to make these dreams of Greater Wallacia a reality.

Coming next:
"The Second Wallacian-Turkish War"

Aye really nice... I love to play with Wallachia (with some added leaders for sure) and this far I have enjoyed the AAR

Great AAR, dont mind comments like Corneliuses, I beleive that its a game that is meant to be "Fun" and if "Fun" Dosent meen researching a intire countrys history to you, then dont!

Cornelius- Warspite took the word right out of my mouth...

Thanks for the comments and support guys. But no need to get to hard on Cornilius either. He had a few problems with the way I protrayed a nations king, and some comments that where made. Although I didn't really agree(after all my viewpoint character was hardly the msot sensative guy in the world) I can understand. Besides, whos to say I wouldn't have reacted the same way if someone made some bad comments about the Irish, Germans, Pollacks or Wisconsinites of which I am also part :) I hope that he enjoyed the fate of ol Daniel in my last update :)

I hope that he enjoyed the fate of ol Daniel in my last update
Thanks, Daniel, I really did.

And also I brought attention to your AAR and it's a pity that people instead of writing comments on your AAR are commenting my reactions that were nor insulting, nor discouraging for you to continue writing your AAR. If someone thinks differently, please I would be happy to receive your PMs and answer to them, but leave this thread for the AAR.

LET THE WALLACHIAN STORY CONTINUE ...