I think that I am quite good in this game, and to get more challenge I am playing with worse and worse countries. Someone mentioned Ragusa as an impossible country and I have never before played that, so here is my newest game.
I am not really much into story telling so I am just going to tell what I am doing in the game and what I am thinking. There is two reasons for this.
1) I want to learn more, so I am writing my thoughts up so that I can see where I could improve.
2) If someone of you have some interesting thoughts, I am open to suggestions.
3) Maybe some noobie learns something from reading this.
My gaming style
NEVER reloading. In my opinion reloading is cheating. If something really bad happens, well, I just have to live with that. This means that I have to be extremely careful. I don’t ever start a war unless I am really certain that I am stronger than my opponent.
Because I don’t ever reload there is a slight possibility that this game ends very soon. It is possible that some of my neighbours will DOW me immediatedly and then I am annexed. Well, shit happens and my first AAR ends very soon.
Economy is exactly as in real life the basis where everything is built. I try always to keep as much cash available because there might be a bad event or some idiot might attack me. I also want to keep both my trade and infrastructure levels as high as possible.
I try to keep inflation always at minimum. Although I understand that sometimes printing some money is necessary, but only on really desperate situations. On the long run, increased costs are greater than benefits of printing money.
My country, Ragusa
My country is a one-province minor. It has 5 000 infantry and 1 000 cavalry and 10 galleys. It is a small army but I can’t afford greater yet. It is a poor province which has 9 000 inhabitants in it’s capital and it produces fish (Hey, what else?).
I have really much cash to spend, 500 gold. Problem is that my province is really poor, so I don’t have much income. I can only wonder where my country got this huge amount of money. Development aid from Sweden, perhaps?
Ragusa is in catholic techonology group so tech levels should not be a problem for me.
First of all, I will immediatedly promote a tax collector to give me more really much needed income.
Second, I will lower the maintenance level for both land and naval militaries to 50% to lower costs of having an army. I will continue to do always when I am not in war or preparing for a war.
As a first domestic policy change I will change my slider to one point to more innovative. My country is quite narrowminded and thus increased stability costs should not be a problem.
My center of trade is Venice, where I can send merchants really cheaply, 1 gold/1 merchant.
Later my own center may change to Istanbul, when Ottomans conquer it, I really don’t know.
My country is really a weak state whose well-being depends of other states. My neighbours are these.
1) Albania. Albania is also one province minor which has cb agaist Serbia. They should not be a problem, at least not immediatedly. Orthodoxians.
2) Serbia. Serbians are natural enemies of albanians. They have also cb against Bosnia and Hungary. Albanians, Bosnians, Hungarians and Croatians will keep them busy not to bother me. Maybe if they are in war with everyone, there might be a chance for me to conquer Kosovo. Orthodoxians.
3) Bosnia. Bosnia is also a one province minor. It has catholic religion and slovonic culture in her province so when I am ready to attack it will be a natural direction. My ability to attack is still very weak, so that has to wait. They will sooner or later have a war against Serbia and that could bring me an opportunity what I need.
4) Venice. Venetians think that my country should be part of their own. Although I look Dalmatia with greed, I don’t have capability to resist them, so I have to try hard to have good relations with them. Luckily they are at the beginning have a war against Croatia and Hungary.
I guess I try first to keep good relations with all my neighbours by having royal marriages with them. Actually it seems to me that it is not necessary for me to have military alliance because no-one of my neighbours are really threatening immediatedly. Later I have to get in an alliance with some of enemies of Venice. I don’t know who it will be, maybe Papal States, Austria or Hungary.
I will post my first installment tomorrow.
And last thing, excuse my bad English. I think my text is highly readible still.