• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vincent Julien said:
Yes. The SGF! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Curse the SGF! :mad:

But I agree that the Kaiser's all-or-nothing approach to peace talks is risky. And Ludendorf making an early entrance onto the scene means Hindenburg and the rest can't be too far away.

General Hamilcar Thorn was experiencing a state of bliss. The air here was so warm and inviting. The sun warmed him, and he imagined lotion being placed upon his body. And the gentle wind caressed him, rubbing the lotion in, as those girls from Crete had…

One of the girls poked him.

Gradually, his irritation drew him back to reality, and he woke to an insistent shaking. “General,” a voice said. “General, it is time.”

Fumbling the padded blinds from his eyes, Thorn blinked in the face of the bright sun. He blew out a deep, relaxed breath, and tried to focus his eyes on his tormenter. “What is it, you moon-faced assassin of joy?”

A bushy, prematurely salt-and-pepper beard covered much of the round face that was Colonel Gerhard Schwedt’s. He frowned in perplexion at his general’s phrase, but quickly recovered. “General, the Stendals are ready to begin boarding. You are requested on the bridge.”

The general sighed, and looked around him. Sailors in Prussian black dashed this way and that, preparing hawsers to lower the boats on their davits. Squinting into the sun toward the bridge, Thorn could see the Kapitan staring down at him, businesslike, from the open, canvas-covered bridge. What a contrast to his swimsuit-clad ease, he thought, grumpily.

Thorn was tall, thin and handsome, and he appeared relatively younger than his fifty-some years, except for his gray Rip Van Winkle beard. He rolled out of the chaise, where he had fallen asleep, and began donning his uniform.

“Only ten horses will travel with the first wave,” Schwedt explained. He was shorter and heavier than Thorn, but his face and eyes conveyed a sense of professionalism. “They take up a great deal of space in the longboats.” He had never considered an amphibious invasion with cavalry. Neither had his famous grandfather, he figured. “The rest of the mounts will have to wait until the docks have been secured. Then we can unload the rest of the Stendals and the Stettins,” he said, referring to the two divisions of cavalry they had brought for their invasion of the Russian Black Sea caost at Poti. “There is no sign, yet, of any substantial defense on our landing beach. Weather forecasts look good, too.”

They all appreciated the fact that the weather was cooperating. It was a bright, sunny, warm day. The sea was relatively calm. It contrasted favorably with the tossing storms they had experienced three times since entering the Black Sea on this mission. No sign had yet been seen of the Russian Black Sea Fleet.

“Gary,” Thorn said. “Tell the Kapitan we are ready.” He wasn’t about to go face the man’s scorn. Navy types never had enough respect for the “landlubbers.” He looked at the nearby shore, which appeared calm and seemed to await them. A few excited boys and several bathers frolicked in the sand, casting glances at the Prussian ships. He trusted they would give no trouble. “Tell them to commence boarding.”

ss617.jpg

sneaky... ;)

I like it, but isn't dumping a small army n the midst of enemy land a bit risky? I know it is in EU2 and HoI, but maybe not in Vicky :)

Those sneaky Prussians. Agh, but that phrase, "moon-faced assasin of joy" is from something but I can't think of what. This is gonna bug me for hours. :wacko:

• 1Love
Reactions:
An attempt to distract the Russian AI from the main battle lines, perhaps. ;)

Looks good, though when the Russians show up, the Prussian Hussars will be in trouble. Perhaps this also implies that things are not going as smoothly as hoped for on the main front? ;)

Eagerly awaiting the next update.

VILenin said:
Those sneaky Prussians. Agh, but that phrase, "moon-faced assasin of joy" is from something but I can't think of what. This is gonna bug me for hours. :wacko:
Why, it is borrowed wholesale from THE BEST TELEVISION SHOW EVER PRODUCED! That should help you, I trust. ;)

If you can't think of it, I'll let you off the hook in a few hours.

I just saw an opportunity to use it, and couldn't resist. :rofl:

More feedback is under construction as we speak! I've just got 3 pages to go over... Three pages in 4 days is pretty remarkable, if I do say so myself!

...though it's nothing compared to what Coz and Draco are capable of in their AARs! :eek:

AHA! *shakes finger in air* Glad to find another B5 fan! Londo always was one of my favorite characters. :)

This looks to the the 'large scale' version of the left hook. Great little scene.

Rensslaer said:
Why, it is borrowed wholesale from THE BEST TELEVISION SHOW EVER PRODUCED! That should help you, I trust. ;)
:rofl:

Indeed. B5 fits that description quite well. When I read that line, I figured that I had heard that somewhere before. ;)

Keep 'em coming. :D (Russians, feedback, or updates, it doesn't really matter. :p )

Rensslaer said:
...“Tell them to commence boarding.”
nothing like a little overloading on the abilities of the AI, eh? :D

very nice! ! ! :cool:

Now, now, now...the best TV show ever produced is St. Elsewhere, hands down. But I'll let you folks have your Star Trek derivations. I still prefer the original.

Now, onto the war with Russia. I knew this was going to be a bad war for Russia, but they pretty much had to DoW, didn't they? I'm surprised that GB has not yet. But then, they let my Persia run roughshod over everyone too.

A sneaky move to go down south like that, and perhaps a little dangerous. I think stnylan hit it earlier - perhaps beginning to overreach.

coz1 said:
Now, now, now...the best TV show ever produced is St. Elsewhere, hands down. But I'll let you folks have your Star Trek derivations. I still prefer the original.
Oh, that's COLD, Coz! Comparing Babylon 5 to that relatively amateurish show Star Trek, in any version! Star Trek had its moments, but it was so episodic that its moments were always fleeting. B5 was epic! But anyway...

Coz - St. Elsewhere WAS very good, though I have not seen enough of it to judge it on its full merits. Though I must say, the THEME to St. Elsewhere is one of those great pieces of music that pops into my head at peculiar moments (like right now!) and I end up running it through my head for the next several hours! :rolleyes:

FJ44 & VILenin, 20 BB? 40 BB? I don't think Prussia has been below 20 Badboy for... well, EVER! Not in a long time, anyway.

GhostWriter - Now, I will admit that I didn't realize what I was doing at the time, but it's very possible your tactic of standing back from the border worked! Twice!

Stnylan, yes this will be good experience for Wally. And you're right about the widely spaced cities. Partly it's because we tear parts out and rebuild. I've seen pictures of this neighborhood (Capitol Hill) from the Victorian era, and it was very different. Still recognize parts, though. Some of those buildings, which weren't ALL that distinctive, still exist downtown. But not here.

Director - Yes, Wally is not a great scout because he's new. Adalbert might need some improvement because he's cocky and casual. A little bit naive, too. They're both young.

Maximiliano - Shyamalan really is a remarkable director!

Coz1 & FJ44 - You mean I shouldn't go play on the crane? I might be able to jump over there, if I get a good running start... :rofl:

Draco - Hey, when you get back you'll have about 5-6 updates to go through... Take it SLOW! Don't want you getting too excited with all the rush of Prussian glory and conquest!

Avernite - Yes, the Caucasus operation is a little bit risky. But I had troops in the Mediterranean who weren't doing anything else, and that was the closest decent landfall where it wouldn't be just adding to what was already underway. Besides, Gen. Thorn wanted some room to roam! Should be good experience for our young Col. Schwedt.

BBBD - Didn't you love that picture of Kaiser Wilhelm, intent on inspecting the troops and all? What a great action shot! That's an Austrian uniform, btw.. In real life, he was famous for collecting other countries' uniforms. When they were given, as gifts, it wasn't just the uniform... in most cases he actually got the rank and the command given to him as well! He had his own Russian and Austrian regiments, and was even made an Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal Navy! Must be nice, eh?

Vincent Julian! - Great to see you back, Sir.

Rey - Yeah, those massed British troops in Memel gave me nightmares for decades! Always wondering... IF! :eek:

FJ44 - You need to find the Coca-Cola Fountain, and office next to it.

Oh, and it looks like a great many of you are convinced that the other shoe is about to drop, so I'd better watch out! You will see... SOON!

stnylan said:
I wonder what the consequences of this war will be for Russia. Revolation perhaps.
Hmm... :rolleyes: Maybe. Maybe not.

FlorisdeVijfde, Prussiablue, KPTB & all the rest of you who take the time to comment and/or read, thank you! Should have another update late tonight or early tomorrow. Hopefully!

Rensslaer

And you're right about the widely spaced cities. Partly it's because we tear parts out and rebuild. I've seen pictures of this neighborhood (Capitol Hill) from the Victorian era, and it was very different. Still recognize parts, though. Some of those buildings, which weren't ALL that distinctive, still exist downtown. But not here.

I'd also humbly suggest its because you've got a whole continent (well, most of one) to play with over there. Here we are a teeny-weeny bit more crowded! ;)

stnylan said:
I'd also humbly suggest its because you've got a whole continent (well, most of one) to play with over there. Here we are a teeny-weeny bit more crowded! ;)
Yes, but... think of the tradeoffs...

Our Badboy is much higher than yours! :rolleyes:

Renss

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

The southern front, in Rumania, was surprisingly well contested. With Russia being so vast a country, it hardly seemed worthwhile to remove the soldiers from the Rumanian border to apply to the central defense, as it would take so long to get there and would open the whole of the Ukraine to Prussian seizure. And, so, the Russians remained in substantial force.

The Rumanians advanced to the south, into Bulgaria, and then turned northward along the Black Sea coast. They made significant progress. Another Rumanian division pushed north slowly, toward Lvov.

ss619.jpg

Meanwhile, a Prussian corps pressed forward against Iasi. There, they were forced to take defensive positions, owing to the large number of Russian divisions nearby.

The central front remained confused, for both sides, though there was never any question who held the initiative or the advantage. A few Russian divisions wandered free while large Prussian corps reduced stationary pockets of resistance.

ss620.jpg

In the North, as November got underway, General Spree closed on the Russian summer capital of St. Petersburg. Tsar Nicholas II had long since relocated to Moscow, the winter capital, though even that refuge was seeming less certain.

Spree’s approach flushed out the Russian Baltic Fleet, which had been sheltering at St. Petersburg. They faced a hard choice. Winter was fast bringing ice to close the port. If they intended to sortie, they must do it soon. Remaining in port brought the risk – certainty, considering there were no Russian divisions available for the city’s defense – of capture by the Prussians. But going to sea would bring on a clash of naval arms which the Russian sailors and admirals no longer welcomed.

ss622.jpg

Admiral Unakov led the Baltic Fleet – 2 battleships, 2 armored cruisers, a light cruiser, 3 raiders and a monitor through a gauntlet set up by the Prussian Imperial Navy. Slipping out during the early evening, it was pitch black when the first ships began to pass the Prussian blockade. However, one ship was sighted and fired upon, which alerted the Germans to the likelihood of a breakout. Searchlights stabbed the night, and more ships were located and engaged.

Over the course of three days, the Prussians chased Russian vessels from the Gulf of Finland, sinking the light cruiser and three raiders. The pursuit continued for another few days, as the Russians attempted to fight free into the Baltic. With Prussia in control of Jutland, the Russians were trapped. The next 2 months were a hunt and peck operation to track down the surviving Russian naval units.

A similar desperate gamble was underway in the south. The Russian Black Sea Fleet sortied from Sevastopol in an attempt to defeat Prussian landings nearby. These ships were also engaged, and were gradually hunted down.

To the east, General Ludendorff was driving straight for Moscow with single-minded purpose. He had reached Smolensk on the 27th of October. He arrived at the gates to Moscow only one month later – an incredible rate of speed, even for cavalry, considering that their movements were not entirely unopposed. However, the straggling Russian defenders were very poorly organized after having been chased across vast distances of steppe. Resistance was halfhearted, and was generally pushed aside without difficulty.

ss621.jpg

It seemed obvious to most observers that a catastrophic defeat was in order for the Russians. It was only a matter of time, even as December brought the Russian winter.

Damn you and your cliffhangers :mad: (;))

Nice job on Sankt Petersburg and especially Moskva. Wilhelm must however be getting Napoleontic nightmares by now, even though defeat seems unlikely.

FlorisDeVijfde said:
Damn you and your cliffhangers :mad: (;))

Nice job on Sankt Petersburg and especially Moskva. Wilhelm must however be getting Napoleontic nightmares by now, even though defeat seems unlikely.
Let's see, occupation of Moscow in Mid-late November...sounds familiar. :D

Nice update, especially with showing how the Russian AI seems obsessed with Romania.

Nice cliffhanger, I happen to be barely hanging on the canyon wall. ;)

More updates.