• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rey said:
Hmm, those claims in Borneo would be a nice addiction to your prosperous empire! Think on the poor dutch people being oppressed by their rude government. They're calling for liberation! :)

Maybe Rensslaer could take over te Dutch government instead and wreck the German Empire? :p

Great News!

Yeah, this was all just a plot to bring the German people under the heel of the Mighty Dutch Empire!!! :eek:

Dear me.. GREAT NEWS!!!

I have finally just gotten a good job -- again! Praise be to God!

Mind you, this is 6 months after I got my last good job that never materialized (that they took away from me the day before I was to start!), so.... please keep praying until the 15th that lightning doesn't strike somebody dead and take my job away!

But for now, it looks like I will be starting on the 15th as an education analyst, working for a think tank trying to support and improve education (public & private) in Colorado!

Actually, this one will pay more than the one I would have started at 6 months ago... Course now I'm catching up!

Thanks for all your prayers and support!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Yeah, this was all just a plot to bring the German people under the heel of the Mighty Dutch Empire!!! :eek:

Dear me.. GREAT NEWS!!!

I have finally just gotten a good job -- again! Praise be to God!

Mind you, this is 6 months after I got my last good job that never materialized (that they took away from me the day before I was to start!), so.... please keep praying until the 15th that lightning doesn't strike somebody dead and take my job away!

But for now, it looks like I will be starting on the 15th as an education analyst, working for a think tank trying to support and improve education (public & private) in Colorado!

Actually, this one will pay more than the one I would have started at 6 months ago... Course now I'm catching up!

Thanks for all your prayers and support!

Rensslaer
Congratulations! This means more time to write AARs, right? ;)

Hey ren how did you survive without a job for six months?! :confused: Well Congrats on getting a new one! :D Sounds *ehem* like a fun job.. ;)

Excellent Renss, you will have your work cut out for you if Mr. Garrison is an example of teachers in Colorado! :rofl:

No seriously well done, good things come to those who wait.

Now isn't that a bleesing in disguise? Congrats Rens, mind if I were to add that your real life job-searching update is as equally intrigute as your AAR....

From what you type, it seems to be a great job. Just out of line a little bit. I always feel in life you should really appreciate if you can land a job that you fancy. In fact not many people in this world have this luxury. I wish you all the best Rens.

Iron_Skull said:
Hey ren how did you survive without a job for six months?! :confused: Well Congrats on getting a new one! :D Sounds *ehem* like a fun job.. ;)
Oh, I've had A job... two, really, but I'll be making about 50% more at this new one, which is what I've been looking for.

More time for AARs? Well... Perhaps. But I've gotten so into the groove on this one, I can't imagine not being able to speed out updates! :D Everything is falling into place up to about 1912, at which point I have very little plan, but that's because that's when things get REALLY complicated!

Mr. Garrison is doomed! :rolleyes: Actually, I drive through Southpark quite a bit. Not far from my home -- 20 minutes, or so. No dwarfy little people, that I've seen, though.

Rensslaer

Congrats, Renss. No doubt the education in Colorado (and indeed the country) could use you. Good luck. Does this mean no more security work, or do you plan to keep that up as well?

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

At the end of 1898, Prussian warships appeared off the coast of Panama, which was at that time part of Colombia. That government, as well as the United States, had been forewarned by the British, whose spies had determined something like this was in preparation. Vehement protests were lodged, but Colombia could do nothing more, and the United States was deeply involved against the Spanish and French at that point. Ultimately, American anger was banked and set aside for another time when circumstances provided more leverage.

At the Prussian declaration of war, Guatemala deserted the Colombians as allies, but both Nicaragua and Costa Rica sensed a threat that might encompass them all someday, and stood with their southern brothers.

ss519.jpg

The first landings were in the west of Panama. Three divisions, under the theoretical direction of young KronPrinz Friedrich Wilhelm, were placed ashore on both coasts, and began to move inland. The one relatively modern steam-powered warship of the Colombian Navy, along with a sailing frigate, attempted to disrupt the landings, but their efforts were hopelessly forsaken in the face of modern steel cruisers.

ss522.jpg

Another landing was made against Nicaragua, the Prussian 1st Infantry attempting to knock this small country out of the war. Miscalculation and fierce opposition turned this into the first of two Prussian disasters faced in the Panama campaign. The landing was unopposed, and the division began making way for Lake Nicaragua, which was considered of some use as an alternative route for a canal, should the primary route through the Isthmus not be secured in the operation. Heat, jungle fevers (most notably Yellow Fever), violent native tribes and the guerilla tactics of the Nicaraguan Army wore the invaders down, and they were ultimately forced to retreat back to their ships with heavy losses. No further action was taken against Nicaragua during the war.

In February, more divisions were landed to threaten Panama City. By March, they had become embroiled in another tough fight and were taking significant losses against well-entrenched defenders. Another disaster loomed as another Colombian corps moved in from the south. The Stuttgarter Infantry Division was tasked with the job of stopping these Colombian troops short of their goal. The Prussian operation was already a near-run thing, and complications such as enemy reinforcements might well bring on another embarrassing defeat…

ss534.jpg

Nice update!

Lovely cliffhanger. Let's see, if Prussia can't beat the central Americans, who are almost uncivilized nations themselves, how will she fare when the US comes by? ;)

I bet the late-game entrenchment values got you, am I right? :p

Hmm, kinda risky I think, invading Columbia. Prussia should've kept their hands clean by sponsoring a revolt in Panama like the US did historically. This will sour US/Prussian relations in the future as it is a violation of the Monroe Doctrine. Hopefully Prussia won't end up with the whole world against her. And congratulations on the job and what sounds like a significant pay increase! :)

Rensslaer said:
At the end of 1898, Prussian warships appeared off the coast of Panama, which was at that time part of Colombia...
perhaps you should do the Kaiser a favor and translate the Monroe Doctrine into German! ! !

I await the great confrontation b/w Prussia and USA. I hope it will materialize. In the meantime, I hope full faith that Prussia can overcome the Columbian, just a matter of time.

seriously bad, losing to central Americans. Who is gonna get fired for it, I wonder? ;)

Oh, and congrats on your new job :)

Interesting to see Prussia actually have some problems with their Central American war. Certainly makes things seem more realistic. However, I am sure that this near run thing will only be so for a small period of time before the Prussians are victorious.

panamatrail2.jpg

The Colombian provinces along the Isthmus of Panama were beautifully tropical – impressively rugged mountains of emerald green. The region through which the 4th Bremeners traveled looked like God had riven the land with an enormous cleaver, then clothed it with a dense overgrowth of lush vegetation. Naturally, the heat was not so welcome as the landscapes to the Prussian soldiers, most of whom hailed from the North Sea coast, accustomed to a coolish climate.

Travel overland in the western provinces was most difficult. They were restricted to a few trails which clung to the sides of mountains overlooking deep ravines where, far below, brownish rivers flowed beneath a roof of trees. And so it was that the 3rd regiment of the Bremeners, under the command of young KronPrinz Friedrich Wilhelm, was winding its way through the passes toward Almirante, en route to Boquete, in the central highlands. At the request of his Father, the 16-year-old KronPrinz had left behind his political training – tutoring, planning, attending meetings of the cabinet and Reichstag – to gain military experience he would find valuable as Kaiser.

“Herr Major, we lose our cover ahead.” Feldwebel August Mőller was a husky, old-time veteran who, by mutual agreement with KronPrinz Friedrich, was allowed to skip the required honorifics and refer to his commander as if he were only a military officer. As the unit’s ranking non-com, he was at least twice Fritz’ age, and spoke with the voice of experience in a gravelly baritone. “I estimate between 150 and 200 meters of exposed trail. There’s no telling who might be hiding on the far slope.” He pointed through the trees, across a river valley. It was distant, as evidenced by a slight film of humid haze. But Colombian snipers with high-quality Mexican or Brazilian rifles had been known to harass Prussian troop movements from like ranges.

panamatrail.jpg

KronPrinz Friedrich peered out at the opposite ridge, considering. Then he accompanied Mőller forward to scope out the treacherous passage. Indeed, the incline of the slope was at this point so steep that no trees could find root. Only the trail could adhere, and that only just. “To keep our footing,” he assessed, “we can’t risk moving very quickly.” He imagined what it would be like to slide down that scree slope to his death. “We’ll have to take our time. What a perfect place for an ambush,” he noted, then looked across the valley again. “Though I would greatly admire any sniper determined enough to dig through the undergrowth of that hill.”

Leutnant Adalbert Korenyi-Both had sidled up close enough to hear, and presumed to join the conversation. “What a pickle, eh? That’s just where I’d set up if I were the enemy. Not like we have much choice in going forward.” Mőller glared sideways at Korenyi, and moved two paces away so he could evaluate without distraction. This was common behavior for Adalbert, who hailed from a Viennese noble family. He got away with his informal chatter with the KronPrinz because they had grown up as friends – he and the two elder princes, who bracketed him in age.

Korenyi had recently graduated from the Academy in the same class as Prinz Waldemar. Friedrich, as usual, was barely paying him mind. Nevertheless, he went on. “I’d bet if I could run across there I could set up on the far side for some crossfire.” Adalbert had always been a crack sharpshooter with superior vision for minute details. “If there’s somebody over there, maybe I can pick them out and give them a scare. Plus see if there’s anybody waiting ahead. That would be just our luck to get pinned here. But there’s not much chance of them having troops right here, right now, I suppose. Just a sniper. If that. I hope we weren’t set up. I wonder where he would come from… That’s the best way to figure where he would end up. Maybe high on the ridge, so he could shoot down on us…”

“Al!”

“What?”

“Shut up.”

“What’d I say?” Adalbert blinked, innocently, at the KronPrinz, but at a warning glare he decided to be quiet.

“Well… If you think you can do it, go for it.”

Gee, I hope nothing happens to the Prince. Wilhelm would certainly pay for this war then.

Rensslaer said:
...“Well… If you think you can do it, go for it.”
so, is the "calvary" in the van? :D

excellent! ! ! :cool:

Korenyi picked his way quickly along the rocky path. About halfway across, a report echoed across the valley, though no impact could be discerned. Nevertheless, he quickened his step. Other marksmen watched the other side carefully, and one or two fired rounds at suspect movement in the trees.

“Mőller,” Friedrich said. “We’re not likely to see him at all. What are our chances if we go as a group?”

“I would suggest small groups. Perhaps three. That way he will follow a group at a time, and won’t have the benefit of honing his fire in on a fixed point of the path, which would allow him to take any target that passed that point.”

Another shot reached out for Adalbert, though he was almost in the far foliage already.

“Let’s do it,” Fritz ordered. “Not much chance of his hitting, if we play your game.”

The KronPrinz, whose white and black uniform contrasted with the gray uniforms of his men, went in the first group. Mőller stayed for the second. Fritz’ second, a captain, led the last. They set out, moving as quickly as prudence allowed. Every once in a while, someone slipped and sent rocks cascading downhill. The frequency of sniper shots increased. Twice, Friedrich thought he saw a muzzle flash in the shadow of distant trees. Few of the shots came close, but their aim was improving.

“Fritz!” Korenyi called across the shortening distance. “There are two of them! I’m working on getting one.” The other sniper’s aim would be better, since he was not as worried about counterfire.

One of the soldiers from the first group was hit. He fell… and slid out of sight in a tumble of rocks. Even though all three groups were now exposed on the path, only the first – with its conspicuous white-clad commanding officer – drew any fire. And the firing grew more accurate with time. It became increasingly likely in Fritz’ mind that he – the Prussian Crown Prince – following a narrow, predictable course, had in fact been set up. While two snipers at long range did not constitute an overly dire threat…

All at once, Adalbert lifted from his prone position to shout encouragement to his friend for the final 30 meters or so. And then he was struck down at the same moment as a rifle’s discharge rang out… from somewhere behind Korenyi’s position!

The lead squad’s full complement of gunfire was suddenly directed toward the tree-enshrouded hillside where the shot seemed to have originated. But all was guesswork – no one had seen.

Fritz craned his neck to see if Al was all right. He appeared to be stretching to reach his rifle, but he was clearly wounded and in pain. Fortunately, he guessed the dense plant growth next to the trail would keep his friend hidden.

One soldier’s chest exploded from a bullet impact, and he toppled off the trail, sliding, and carrying rocks down the slope with him until they all disappeared over the cliff.

“Keep moving!” the KronPrinz ordered. “It’s not far.” He waited for the momentum of the group to pick up. The lead man dropped at the sound of another report. A buddy snatched him up, and a second man grabbed his feet to hurry him to safety.

This third sniper, Fritz realized, could have killed him already if it weren’t for Korenyi’s unanticipated strategy. He was an accurate enough shot, but had been forced to hold his fire and not reveal his position until his primary target presented himself. But he had fallen into the trap, nevertheless. Fear clawed for hold of him. He felt a psychosomatic tickle in the hair on his chest as he imagined a gun sighting in on him. He controlled himself, and they pushed forward.

For his part, Korenyi had finally pulled his rifle to him, and was sliding around in the leaflitter, trying to figure out where his assailant was hiding. One more crack, followed by a cry and the noise of a rockslide signaled another death behind him. But Al’s attention focused on where he had seen…

Another shot from the sniper confirmed it. Al sighted, and fired. He saw the bullet hit, and the man rolled down a few feet, rustling in the bushes. Al raised himself – unsteadily and with great pain – to a crouch. He recycled his bolt action, and put another bullet into the man’s body. Then he buckled and fell, breathing heavily from exhaustion.

Sporadic gunfire continued, both from the Prussians on the trail, and from across the valley.

What was taking so long? Al wondered. Why aren’t they here yet? He lifted up as much as he dared, and saw the first and second groups, now moving, but clustered around KronPrinz Fritz… who was being carried!

Al struggled to sit up as they arrived. Fritz looked ashen. Most of his breast was stained dark red, and pinkish froth foamed at his mouth.

When he saw Al, he tried to speak. But it was a faint whisper. Al leaned in to hear.

“Tell my Father…” He paused for breath that just wouldn’t come. “… I did my best.” He was choking and gurgling, and fading fast from blood loss. “Take care of Wally.”