• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Avernite said:
Hmm, so we can be fairly sure the Agent is either incompetent or non-German, I suppose?

Surely no good spy would run to his hideout shortly after being discovered :D
:D Actually, you're probably quite right.

But I didn't have ALL DAY!! :rofl:

Renss

You've got a healthy atmosphere of intrigue developing, Renns. But enough of us talking about spies and whatnot, let's hear about Prussia's decision concerning war. I have a feeling we might be in for another cabinet showdown in Germany between hawks and moderates. Am I close?

fj44 said:
Wow, more German spies. You have quite an espionage ring there. Good update. Will the Panama Canal be run by the British or the Germans? Only time and another update will tell. :D
By Golly! Who says he was discovered? He probebly doesn't know it yet! Him looking back was just an incase thing! ;)

Rensslaer said:
:D Actually, you're probably quite right.

But I didn't have ALL DAY!! :rofl:

Renss

You mean to say it's a competent agent who made a mistake because of a lack of time?

Okay :D

In a dark corner of a popular Berlin restaurant, Konservative Deputy Pietr Van Rensselaer sat across from Jakob Dempewolf, the chief Deputy of the Catholic ZentrumPartei.

“Can you believe he abrogated our treaty with Spain?!” Dempewolf asked. “I hear Karl Anton flew into a rage!” He chuckled, imagining. King Carlos Antonio had been a Prussian Hohenzollern prince before Wilhelm’s grandfather, Konig Wilhelm I, placed him upon the vacated Spanish throne to ensure that nation’s loyalty to Prussia. The arrangement had survived more than 30 years, but had come to an end at the beginning of the Spanish-American War.

Spain1898.jpg

“I can’t say,” Rensselaer opined, “that I would have counseled differently, considering our handicaps and the mood of the world toward us. War with the United States today, even with France and Spain as allies, would put fear in the heart of a lion.”

Setting his liquor glass back on the table, Dempewolf shook his head. “Yet he risks it still with this adventure we hear about in Panama.”

Rensselaer exhaled in frustration, and frowned. “I don’t know what Holstein is thinking,” he said, referring to his replacement at the Foreign Office. “Or Eulenburg, or whosever bad idea this was. I counseled against it, in my day, yet here we sit.” He took a long draw from his brandy snifter. His companion remained silent, enabling him to go on. “We couldn’t afford to back up our Spanish allies because our military strength is tied down in Africa, Arabia, the East Indies… Yet even so, we contemplate provoking one of the only world powers who can truly rival us by committing troops to a new endeavor near their shores!”

“The Reichstag would never approve it, if asked,” Dempewolf said. “I wonder if there is a way to make use of our foreknowledge to put political pressure on him to back off.”

Rensselaer shook his head. “Not without accusations of disloyalty or treason. And it would compromise my sources in the Foreign Ministry, our spies on the scene in Panama and, presuming we could not stop the operation, it would put our own soldiers in far more danger.” Circumspect, Rensselaer avoided mentioning, even to his friend and ally, his primary source of inside knowledge. “And it would be disloyal. I will not be a party to anything of the sort.”

Their conversation drifted toward a close, and Rensselaer referred to his pocketwatch. “I must be going, I’m afraid. There are still some papers I must go over before our session in the morning.”

“Of course,” Dempewolf agreed. “I must go over some things as well. Take care of yourself, my friend.” He stood and gathered his things, then headed for the door.

Rensselaer finished one last bite from his plate, and emptied the last of his glass. Donning his frock coat, he offered hearty thanks to the waitress as she bade him a good night on his way to the front.

A midsize and handsome, but hard-eyed young man stepped out from an alcove into Rensselaer’s path. Rensselaer halted, as the blood drained from his face.

“Prince Van Rensselaer,” the man said with a sly smile – half greeting, half accusation.

“General von Grolitz,” Rensselaer acknowledged, regarding the man warily. Count Adar von Grolitz was Kaiser Wilhelm’s Inspector General, and although at 35 years old he was absurdly young to be a military general, or an inspector general for that matter, an inspector general was to be addressed by the title of general. Wilhelm had unwisely vested him with whatever authority von Grolitz felt like he needed at whichever moment.

“I happened to overhear some of what you said over there,” he baited, gazing toward Rensselaer’s table.

That was impossible, Rensselaer knew, unless Grolitz had literally been hiding in the woodwork. Yet, he could hardly discount that.

“I am concerned that you might take actions that would be detrimental to our foreign policy plans.”

Rensselaer smiled, coldly. “Then you must have missed where I said it would be wrong for us to interfere.”

Von Grolitz smiled, thinly. “Still…” He leaned in to whisper, confidentially. “If you do anything to hinder our operations, you can be assured that I will personally see you spend the rest of your days in Spandau.” His voice was clipped and cold. Threatening. He referred, of course, to Berlin’s largest, most infamous prison.

“How dare you threaten me!” Rensselaer spat. Shaking his finger heatedly, he said, “You are a testament to exactly what is wrong with this government today.” The old man regained his control, and blew out a breath to steady himself. “I hope to see your back one day soon. Prussia will be the better for it.” He muscled past the wiry fellow.

“I will find those spies you have in the Wilhelmstrasse,” he called after him.

As he pushed his way angrily into the street, Rensselaer thanked God that he had not been so unwise as to mention that he had a spy even within Wilhelm’s own cabinet.

Nice to see Rensselaer still in the thick of things!

I can only imagine what the heck was going on in Willie's head when he not only broke an alliance with family, but allowed that said family member to go to war with the only credible threat to Prussia... providing there was anything actually going on in Willie's head at the time. :D

Now... Count Adar von Grolitz, where do I know that name from? :confused:

Rensselear must be getting on in years by this point. Does Prussia have to worry about losing his services or will he safely make it to the end of the game? And I think Prussia and the US should team up to paint the world blue!

VILenin said:
Rensselear must be getting on in years by this point. Does Prussia have to worry about losing his services or will he safely make it to the end of the game? And I think Prussia and the US should team up to paint the world blue!
Rensselaer won't live to the end of the game. But close. He's got some roles to play, still!

As for the US & Prussia teaming up.... wait a few updates. The issue comes up. ;)

Draco Rexus said:
Now... Count Adar von Grolitz, where do I know that name from? :confused:
He is a friend of the Kaiser's who I first introduced in the Crescent Moon scenes -- he was dispatched to find out what was going on with the general's murder. Not a real fellow, though. But you will see him make trouble again!

Thanks for reading guys!

Renss

Spies, spies, and more spies. :D
Now, who is the spy in the cabinet? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who would work for Rensslaer...

The next update (hopefully) will shed some light... ;)

Grolitz seems a little impetuous. In Rensselaer's early years, I would have suggested he watch himself. But now that the Prince has aged some, I think the two might be equally matched. It would be hard to take Rensselaer down, but not impossible. The question is - does Wilhelm really want that to happen?

Rensslaer said:
...Rensselaer thanked God that he had not been so unwise as to mention that he had a spy even within Wilhelm’s own cabinet.
neat! ! ! :cool:

Now that I'm updating more frequently, I'm having to adjust to the fact that there's more feedback to feedback required! Sorry.. just catching up.

Avernite - You were quite correct in your disbelief of the whole spy thing! It was rushed, I have to admit. And a well-trained spy would not have made the mistake. I believe, though, he may have been under some time pressure, as the USS Maine incident brought the whole region to a boil!

VILenin - So what do you think about the decision on war with the USA? Glad you're enjoying the intrigue!

BBBD - Always great to have you along! And thank you for your kind compliments! Sorry we didn't get to see war with the USA just yet... It would have been interesting, but perhaps more costly in money and material than Prussia could afford.

Draco & KPTB - You both contemplate upon war with France, rather than the USA... I do not believe a great power war is what Kaiser Wilhelm has in mind for right now... He's been picking off the little guys (as you will continue to see for a few updates now), but I'm not sure he has the stomach to voluntarily go to war with the big boys.

fj44 said:
Spies, spies, and more spies. :D
Now, who is the spy in the cabinet? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who would work for Rensslaer...
Yes! British spies, German spies, internal spies... on both sides of the internal divide!

Remember that the cabinet is larger than the folks you know about. The current officeholders are:
Chancellor - Hohenlohe, who might be a likely suspect, but who is about to get the boot!
Foreign Minister - Holstein
War Minister - Kalkhorst
Chair in the Corner - Eulenburg
Head Chair - Kaiser Wilhelm II
Then there would be about 3-5 other ministers and one or two of the Kaiser's eldest sons. Depending on what the subject would be, some or all of these extra folks might not be there.

coz1 said:
Grolitz seems a little impetuous. In Rensselaer's early years, I would have suggested he watch himself. But now that the Prince has aged some, I think the two might be equally matched. It would be hard to take Rensselaer down, but not impossible. The question is - does Wilhelm really want that to happen?
Many good questions, Coz!

Yes, Grolitz has the car keys, but hasn't the long experience of driving... He might overplay himself!

Btw, I really enjoyed your reaction to the graphic about Spain's calling upon Prussia to honor her alliance! I was hoping no one would see it coming! As for a step too far.... you see that it was!

GhostWriter - Neat, indeed! Glad you're enjoying it!

Iron Skull - Thanks for keeping up on all this!

Hey you! Yes, you! You lurker over there, who reads but hasn't said anything yet... What do you think? :rolleyes:

Thanks, everybody, for reading and commenting! I'll have another small update ready in the morning.

Rensslaer

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

At the end of 1895, a French conspiracy inadvertently scratched an itch that had afflicted Kaiser Wilhelm II for some time – a desire for easy victories against relatively minor powers.

When French culpability in a plot against the Suez Canal was discovered, it began a chain of events starting with the capture and annexation of French North Africa, and leading from there to Aldjazair, Morocco, and then Oman. It did not stop there, as by that time Wilhelm was good and truly hooked on the minor conquest game, and was also without his most cautious handler, Prince Van Rensselaer.

The next target in this procession of military actions was important to Prussia for two reasons. One, the southeast Asian island of Borneo was rich with raw materials that Prussia had long coveted and, two, Prussia had for many decades had commercial interests and colonial outposts on and around the island.

And, distracted as they were by the Spanish-American War, the world’s great powers had not a moment to spare in sympathy for an unknown east Indian enclave.

ss502.jpg

Small detachments of Prussian soldiers arrived off the coast of the defenseless Sultanate of Brunei in the middle of May, 1898, fresh from the fighting in east Africa. They quickly landed and spread out into the Bornean interior.

ss505.jpg

By the end of October, yet another weak opponent had been defeated and valuable bases and resources were added to the growing German Empire.

ss511.jpg

War for profit

Ah, very good update Rensslaer.

Wilhelm taking over small nations for the resources seems to fit well in the overall story.
The spies from all over the world in Panama worry me a little, though. Prussia has few interests in south and middle America, except for some provinces in Peru, if I remember correctly. A war here would me a major diversion from the goals in Africa and Asia.

In gane terms, even if you do not allack France soon, they should declare a war on you any time now. My experience with Vicky is that when a settelite nation breaks away they declare war more often - until annihilated.
What is Prussias military and industrial score currently? Prussia will never catch Great Britain militarily but you should be second here.

Will Prince Pietr return to the cabinet? If the chancellorship is vacant Prussia may go back to the tried and true choices as it happened several times in its early history. Or maybe he will become the head of the secret police, he seems to have enough influence.

Last edited:
What are you talking about, Sammy? There are no Jews in Borneo.

Sorry, sorry - a line from Cheers that I think of whenever I hear the word Borneo. You have to have seen the episode for it to make any sense at all.

As for Wilhelm's new addiction...denial ain't just a river in...wait a minute, he has that already. Never mind. ;)

Hmm, those claims in Borneo would be a nice addiction to your prosperous empire! Think on the poor dutch people being oppressed by their rude government. They're calling for liberation! :)