• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, it makes sense as you have explained it. And it also leaves a huge Prussia for Europe to deal with!

Rey said:
Cool event. :)

However I think Galicia should be taken by Russia and also Hungary should have the rest (the area near Wallachia).
Well, Stnylan is quite correct -- "what a mess"! Crikey indeed!

In other words, this event is worth about 5-6 updates, so you'll be seeing more details.

Galicia may end up in the hands of the Russians yet. And Wallachia... will be dealt with! ;)

Renss

Wow! :eek: That is unreasonably exciting! I could void myself from the excitement! :eek:o

I mean, that is a very dynamic and dramatic event to write around! Surely OscAAR-surpassing material will come of this. :cool:

I go away for a three-dayer and come back to find that the AAR has jumped over the 1000 mark, and what a jump it was! All I can say, Renss, is DAMN!

That is some damn fine work, my friend, damn fine. And, as Rocketman said earlier, Heil GrossDeutschland! :cool:

Actually, GrossDeutchland and beyond, eh? ;)

coz1 said:
So, does this mean an independant Poland has formed? And if so, what will the Prussian Poles say about it? It's kind of like the Turks and the idea of an independant Kurdish state next door. There is always the fear that the minority might rise up.
Actually, one thing that I meant to convey was buried in the first Skiedweza update.

The Poles in Prussia have mostly killed themselves off. Okay, well... I suppose I could have let them revolt and create their independent Poland. So in saying it's their fault, I guess I'm acting like the Japanese before World War II, re: their war in China. Yes, I could always have given up and gone home, leaving Poland to be free. That's just not the mentality of the 19th Century, though!

There are only 3 provinces -- Gniezno, Posen, and Bromberg -- where Poles still constitute a majority. The rest of Prussian Poland is majority German now, including Cieszyn, where the Skiedweza homestead is. If I recall correctly, they had majorities in 7-10 provinces at one time.

Rensslaer

Perhaps you should rectify this unfortunate result of Polish over-rebellion by modding in a few Polish POPs to get Polish majority. Can't hurt.

Also, even if they were barred from having modern weapons, I doubt Polish civilians would be carrying flintlocks. By 1884, they'ms old, aren't they? But I'm not sure. For all I know, by 1884 they really still did have rusty flintlocks.

And the Index is going to take a while, especially with midterms coming up for me...

I want to take a moment to draw attention to two worthy efforts underway to recognize the writAARs of AARland who busy themselves producing volumes of text for our enjoyment!

There are two award selection processes currently underway that are having a little bit of difficulty getting a good number of votes and nominations, so I would like to encourage the readership here to go help out!

The first is the VictAARian Cross, which has a long tradition and is the highest honor one can earn in the Victoria AAR section. This thread is currently (up to the 31st, I believe) collecting nominations from a list of AARs (listed here) completed up to the end of 2004. I am sure these many talented writers would appreciate 1) your attention in reading part or all of their work for evaluation purposes, and 2) your vote! :) Thanks to Coz1 for all the work he's putting into this!

Reminder -- the VictAARian Cross nominations being taken up to Oct 31 are only for AARs COMPLETED in the last half of 2004. The list of eligibles is located at the link above.

The second is a new effort (let's call it a "new tradition" eh?) to start an intermediate level of awards for Vicky -- something in between the VictAARian Cross (awarded twice a year) and the weekly WritAAR of the Week and/or Weekly Showcase awards.

Thanks to Anonymous4401 for heading this effort up, devising rules, etc!

I originally told Anonymous that I didn't feel comfortable pushing the Choice Awards, as I'd already received votes for both of my AARs in the thread, and didn't want to seem like I was lobbying for more, or tooting my own horn, etc. On reflection, I think those of you who know me know I'm not doing that. There are a great many worthy writers in these fora who deserve recognition. I know that many of you read more than just this AAR, and so you know what I'm talking about!

The AARland Choice Awards are a noble effort to accomplish something I think has been needed for a long time. I know there was origninally some controversy about creating a new award, what the rules would be, etc. But I also know that Anonymous has done a good job in attending to those concerns, and that the people who voiced them have (most or all) since voted in the process and seem to have been satisfied.

The current selection process (until Oct 31) covers AARs which were BEING WRITTEN (not necessarily completed) during the 3rd Quarter of 2005 (i.e. July, August & September).

So! Please, I encourage all of you to go check out these threads, read some very worthy evidence of tAARlent displayed on the Vicky AAR board, and GO VOTE!

Rensslaer

Thank you very much for your promotion, Rensslaer! Of course, as luck would have it, it is only six days until the nomination process for the Cross and the voting process for the AwAARd ends. But better late than never, I say!

anonymous4401 said:
Also, even if they were barred from having modern weapons, I doubt Polish civilians would be carrying flintlocks. By 1884, they'ms old, aren't they? But I'm not sure. For all I know, by 1884 they really still did have rusty flintlocks.
You know, I was thinking about that when I was writing, and I did a little research before I had to go to work and leave the Internet behind... But after flintlocks came percussion cap weapons, many of which were still in use by major militaries in the 1860s and 1870s in the days before firing pins and cartridges were standard in most European armies. I was figuring that an authoritarian government would keep their people from having anything to contest what the army used, which in 1880s Austria would probably be some (30-70%) cartridge based and some (30% or more) percussion caps.

My history on this is shaky, I am sure. But common sense led me to believe the people would probably still have flintlocks at this point. Governments are really wary about what kind of weapons they allow their people to have, so that they can always have the upper hand when/if a rebellion comes along. That's really reason #1 that America's Founding Fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment -- i.e. they trusted the people more than they trusted the government, and wanted the people to have weapons that could stand up to the military's weapons.

anonymous4401 said:
And the Index is going to take a while, especially with midterms coming up for me...
Don't worry about it at all! If it's too much work (and it probably is!) please don't feel obligated. I did (over the weekend) update and add some of my favorite updates (post #777) up to about page 30. This IS massive, isn't it?! :D

Thanks!

Renss

Ah. That makes sense. :nods:

And yes, it is massive, and those are only your 'favourite' updates! :eek:

Slovenia.jpg

Kolecny glanced away from his gunsights to take his cue from Krysz Skiedweza, the young man who had led him and several other Polish soldiers since their Austrian officers had abandoned them. They had been running, and hiding – as much from the Slovenian patriots and their rebellion as from German Austrians who might want to return them to the Emperor’s service.

Krysz took note of his friend’s deference, but lowered his eyes. He wasn’t sure what to do. He wasn’t an officer. He wasn’t trained for this. What to do?

At length, he raised his rifle and began to stand from his hiding place in the Slovenian woods. He held up his hand, to signal his friends to stay put. These soldiers, still in Austrian uniform – gray, and getting grayer day by day – had lost some of their discipline now that their German-speaking leaders were gone. Some of them squirmed uncertainly, and Kolecny emphasized Krysz’ point by staring down anyone who dared to move.

Krysz stood to his full, lanky height, and began to wade through the underbrush down the hill toward the horse soldiers.

Quickly, one of the Prussian cavalrymen took note of the unarmed figure in Austrian uniform. A shout caused initial alarm and confusion, as it was unclear whether a threat existed, but when their leader held up his gloved hand in signal, the 30 horsemen reined in and waited.

Leutnant Radim Sobczak rode back down the line to meet the stranger. He greeted him politely, if with some uncertain reserve.

“My name is Krysz Skiedweza,” he said. “I represent about a dozen Polish conscripts who were chased out of our unit when the Empire collapsed. I wonder if you could help us.”

“Very well,” said Sobczak. “What is your request?”

“I am actually a Prussian citizen,” Krysz said, in pressing his case. At Sobczak’s wondering glance, he continued. “My family is settled in the mountains near Teschen, and we cross from side to side of the border. I was drafted while on the Austrian side.” He gave a disarming smile of embarrassment. “I would like to know if you can help me and my men get back to Galizien, so we can see our families again.”

“Corporal,” Sobczak said, taking note of the large chevrons on Krysz’ sleeve. “We are part of General Schwedt’s command, here to put down a rebellion and secure the port of Trieste for the Prussian Crown. We are under no obligation to assist Austrian soldiers, nor are we really equipped to do so.”

“Would you at least tell me where we can find some food? We have gone mostly without for several days now.”

“Well, you are nearest to Bleiburg. About thirty miles behind us on this road.” Sobczak peered back the way they had come, then turned to gaze thoughtfully into the unknown distance ahead of them. Returning his attention to Skiedweza, he asked, “Soldier, have you been stationed in this region for very long?”

“Do you need to know where to find something?” Krysz anticipated.

“I have a deal for you.” Sobczak fixed him in the eye. “As a Czech Prussian to a Polish Prussian, I wish to make a personal request.”

Krysz unconsciously took a step back. Had he backed himself into a corner while trying to gain an advantage?

“I will personally see that your men are cared for and returned home if you will join us as a guide. We do not know these lands, but if you do, you could save many lives and much time.”

Krysz’ mouth moved, trying to form words that would get him out of this predicament. “Sir, I… I have been wanting to return to my family. I didn’t want to be here in the first place.”

“I would like to return to my family as well. Preferably without unnecessary holes.” Sobczak grinned, then cooled a bit. “As you are a Prussian citizen, I could compel you to join us. I would rather not have to do that.”

Choices. Hesitation. Denial? I lied? Not really Prussian, see…

Krysz frowned, and looked up at his friends, hidden along the ridge. Reluctantly, he said, “Leutnant, I will do as you ask. If you will conduct my friends home.”

ss222a.jpg

Another excellently written update. I bow to you.

Though I sense that that Polish fellow will be getting into a rowdy scrap with some Slovenians mighty soon!

Nice. I think I could come to like this young Prussian Pole. :)

If he stays in one piece, that is.

It seems Venezia is what is keeping you from a nice solid core of blue. They really should become partof the Reich, if you ask me. ;)

But can he trust a Czech Prussian? All very interesting.

Good God, sir! This AAR is long and great. I really like the characterization. I just read through the 42 pages of the AAR, and have determined that you are an amazing writer. My hat is off to you.

You still have thirty-six or so years left. Make the most of them.

Some overdue feedback to comments I hadn't gotten a chance to get to over the past 2-3 updates...

Rocketman... Anyone like Germany? Hmm... Not really, except during these years we did put in quite an effort into improving relations with the USA. You'll see the results of that in a couple, three updates. Also tried with the UK but not as hard. I should add, Prussia's badboy rating keeps even our "friends" from associating with us too closely! ;)

Prussiablue... Franz Josef never got around to asking Alex III, but I suspect he would have taken advantage of the situation. We shall see Alex's general attitude soon!

Coz... I think you're absolutely right! It is funny (and fun!) to understate the whole Austrian collapse so. I've expanded upon it, and will continue to, but I had fun giving the "view on the ground in the hinterlands" rather than the view from the seats of power.

And regarding Venezia... Venice and Lombardy are welcome reminders to the Kaiser that Sardinia-Piedmont is not Italy, and never (hopefully!) will be! ;) It gives the Italians who live there a sense of independence -- real or not -- which makes them not wish to fight the Prussians, who guarantee their independence. With the exception of Slovenia, this has been Rensselaer's goal all along -- to keep the minority populations relatively happy so they don't cause trouble.

Rey.... Great to see you still with us! You've been a long, faithful reader!

Bigdan... Great to see you as well! Thanks for dropping by!

Fj44... Thank you for your MOST kind comments! :D And I am dumbfounded that you have "just read" through the whole 42 pages! I've considered doing that myself from time to time, to review all the stuff I've written, and -I- don't have the patience!!! :rolleyes: In any case, thank you for your determination and for letting me know!

I'm glad the Skiedweza family has been welcomed so readily! I think it will be a fun family to write for.

I have added to the index of favorite posts at post #777. Good for looking older things up and/or getting an intro to the AAR!

BBBD, Ghostwriter, Draco, Stnylan, Coz, Anonymous, Prussiablue, Rey, Rocketman, and all my other regular readers and commenters... Thank you very much! I appreciate it, as always!

Rensslaer

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

Naturally, the demise of one of the world’s largest polyglot empires into ethnic enclaves changed the face of Europe.

When Habsburg-dominated Austria-Hungary proved incapable of sustaining itself, every minority agenda which had existed within the Empire came alive and began ripping at the fabric of this institution which had survived for centuries.

Hungary, which had accreted enormous power to itself within the Habsburg regime, declared a restoration of the old Hungarian Empire – a land which would have spread from the Adriatic Sea to the borders of Russia. However, especially considering how rapidly the Habsburg Empire had disintegrated, Hungary hardly had the military strength or even the political will to make such an outcome happen.

Instead, the majority ethnicity in each region declared its own independence, and quickly attempted to set up governments from among their local patriots and political leaders. Thus, Europe was quickly dotted with a series of small countries – Poland (a shadow of its former self, the majority of historical Poland remaining under the control of Prussia and Russia), Ukraine (again, a country which remained mostly under Russian control), Slovakia, Hungary (a smaller, ethnically homogenous country), Croatia, Montenegro, Lombardy and Venetia.

ss219b.jpg

Three regions of Austria-Hungary fell under Prussian domination – German Austria, Romania, and Slovenia. German Austria was obvious – its ethnic Germans had desired to experience the benefits of citizenship in the newly democratic German federation. Romania and Slovenia were less understandable.

Romania was predominately populated by two ethnicities – Romanians and Germans. Romanian Germans naturally shared the desire of their German compatriots to join the German Empire. Ethnic Romanians wished to have independence. Prussia engineered a special status for Romania – as a German protectorate. The German population was promised protection and full participation in politics. Romanians were promised independence, with the exception that Prussia would determine her foreign policy. Romania basically became a satellite state of Prussia.

ss225a.jpg

Slovenia, whose population desired independence as much as their neighbors, became victims of a Prussian agenda to claim an Adriatic seaport – Trieste. Alone among the independence movements in the former Habsburg dominions, Prussia moved to crush the Slovenian nationalist movement, and establish Slovenia as yet another subject province of the Prussian Kaiser. Prussian cavalry under General Schwedt was sent to establish order, and they quickly did so.

The undermining of the Habsburg authority having been driven by Prussia’s move to democracy, this was naturally a concern throughout the collapsing Austro-Hungarian Empire. Most of the new countries at least paid lip-service to eventual democratic elections. Only in Slovenia was democracy actively opposed, though Prussian authorities promised an eventual extension of democracy to the Slovenian people once the revolts subsided.

Emperor Franz Josef abdicated his throne in the face of the collapse of his authority. Prussia’s German Empire being a federal constitutional monarchy, and having to absorb the ethnically German portions of the Austrian Empire into itself, Kaiser Friedrich declared the new Austrian regions as the separate province of Austria, and the Austrian Crown Prince, Archduke Rudolf, was allowed to retain his title and take over administration of Austria from his father under the new German federation.

However, the relatively painless process of collapse and independence was shattered by declarations of war at the end of October. Russian Tsar Alexander III could not countenance an independent Poland or Ukraine, as each would incite further violence and revolt inside Russia (and already had, in Lvov). The Russian Imperial Army was brought to bear upon the independence movements in both of these new countries, and soon bitter fighting erupted. The world looked to Prussia, to see if it would intervene, either in support of, or in opposition to the Polish nation-state. It did neither.

ss224a.jpg

It's not really Romania, though, is it? :D Transylvania would be more apt. Why didn't you just give it to Hungary?