• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow!

Nice to see you doing something productive with your time Ren' That is fantastic! Now I have to go back through my history of Russia and figure out what the h€// I did so I can say something some what as creatively...keep it up! FYI in my Vicky Prussia was broken up into Germany and the Northern German Federation...no Prussian dominance there...of course they are both the 3 and 4 Great Powers behind the UK and the US but hey....it isn't a perfect world.

“William,” the Queen began. “I have not yet had the opportunity to…” she hesitated only a moment, “congratulate you privately on your recent electoral victory.” Dissatisfaction with the war had emboldened the people to throw out the conservatives, and Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli, just a fortnight ago. Gladstone had presented himself to the Queen in an official capacity, as Prime Ministers must do but, as she noted so innocently, the Queen had not taken that opportunity to “congratulate” him. The Queen had always been closer to Disraeli, and she missed his presence now that he was in the minority.

“You know,” she went on, “that you and I, and your Party, have not always been on the best of terms.”

“I am sorry to hear you express it, Your Majesty,” Gladstone said with exquisite deference. “I have always looked forward to any opportunity to work in concert.”

“I am glad to hear you say so,” she snatched at the offered string. “For there is something you can help me with that Benjamin never could.”

Gladstone straightened slightly. Not warily, but as if he had lost some of his defensiveness. He was clearly intrigued, and he had just been invited in. His bright eyes shone out of his intense face, through his wrinkled eyelids. “Naturally, it gladdens my heart to hear of it.”

The Queen grew pensive, staring off to her right as she thought back over the past few years. “This war was always Benjamin’s war, you know.”

Gladstone’s face betrayed an expert but effortless calculation. Even as the Queen spoke, he reflected upon her every word and nuance, as if watching moves upon a political chessboard.

“I am… was… guilty of encouraging him, once upon a time. But as my doubts grew, he could not respond. We could cooperate on everything else. But in this war he – and his party, and his supporters – were invested. This was his war. What could he do to stop it?”

Queen Victoria’s eyes snapped to Gladstone, instantly touching his soul. “I have come to believe… come to know, that this war is dragging us toward the abyss. We lose countless lives – tens of thousands of them,” she grimaced at the futility. “And it accomplishes nothing. We are stopped at every turn. It occupies our society’s whole attention, when we should be focused on other things – we should be headed toward positive progress. And it promises to go on. And on. Unless someone puts an end to it.”

“Mr. Gladstone, this is not your war. You have the power and the personality to end it. As your Sovereign Queen, I ask you to do everything in your power to do so.”

Gladstone accurately perceived the difficulty and challenge in that assignment. How to change the mood of the people? How to stop the machinery of war? It was a worthy goal, in his own personal opinion. But that did not mean that it would be easy to create change. Creating change was never easy. And he would pay a political price for it.

“Of course, Your Majesty. I shall engage myself to that purpose.” What was the worth of accomplishing something that wasn’t a challenge?

The Queen speaks and her subjects still obey. Victoria hasn't lost it all yet!

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

The subjects listen, but for their own selfish reasons me thinks.

I am not sure that Victoria will be able to control Gladstone, the war may not yet be finished, then again I may be entirely wrong. :D

Sorry, BBBD (aka Bartholomeus)!

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

The victory of the Liberals in the British Parliament, due at least partly to anti-war sentiment, offered an opportunity for peace with Prussia. It had been easy for the generals to deceive themselves, and easy for politicians to be deceived as well, that victory was just around the corner. But the certain victory promised at Christmas, 1868, had proved illusory by February of 1869. In March, again, British attempts to control northern Prussia and reach Berlin were frustrated, and there seemed no prospect of a turnaround for months to come. The British colonial empire, including the Dominion of Canada, which von Moltke had essentially at his mercy, was in a shambles. A lone Prussian division was even pushing south through the Australian desert toward the trading post at Alice Springs.

The time had come for peace. Prussia had proven herself a match for the British Empire. But both sides were exhausted. Both sides had wearied of victories that led ultimately to nothing tangible.

Disraeli’s Conservatives insisted upon exacting a price from the Prussians for peace. Considering Prussia’s success in capturing Britain’s far-flung colonies, such a demand could have been considered an insult, and could have ended negotiations immediately. But Prussia was desperate for peace, despite her success, and had already offered otherwise unconscionable concessions in hopes of an early end.

Ultimately, though negotiations began in February, it was the British Army’s inability to push through to Berlin that forced the Conservatives to accept peace. And, by then, Queen Victoria was using her influence with pliable members of Parliament to encourage a treaty.

ss8a.jpg

Prussia offered her colonial empire – all but the valuable island of Samoa – in the Pacific Ocean. The British Parliament and Crown were encouraged, and quickly accepted the terms. The war – Prussia’s second “world war” of the decade – finally came to a close.

Great Job Rens, seems that you have pick up the pace in this AAR. By the way this is the best AAR i ever read. Keep up the good work.

Rensslaer said:
Prussia offered her colonial empire – all but the valuable island of Samoa – in the Pacific Ocean. The British Parliament and Crown were encouraged, and quickly accepted the terms. The war – Prussia’s second “world war” of the decade – finally came to a close.

personally, i feel that this was an unjust settlement. i may have been tempted to talk to Mr. Chamberlain... :rolleyes: that said, peace at last.

OH, what is your badboy? in principle, i disagree with the badboy concept. it does not make sense to base your actions on historical (old) decisions of other players. in other words, if badboy were to drop by 10 to 25 percent per year, then an AI's actions would be based more on current events than on what happened 10 to 50 years ago. also, those countries that start Vicky intact have an enormous advantage over countries that don't, for example, Prussia and the USA. giving badboy to the upstarts is a double whammy. :wacko: IMHO, giving badboy to Prussia (which [almost] has to use war to form Germany) for acquiring its historical outcome is lame. this one fact precludes my considering using VIP. that said,

excellent AAR, excellent updates! ! ! :D

I agree with Ghostwriter that this was a most unjust settlement.... However, that being said, it does allow Prussia a reason (story wise) to go to war in the future to recover those wonderful overseas colonies. ;)

But, with peace at hand, will Prussia be able to survive the peace? :eek:

And how long will peace last? There are a couple of French War events coming up... will Nappy turn once again on his erstwhile Prussian friends? Will Prussia lay the smackdown and suddenly find itself in control of Germany?

Only Rens knows for sure!

Thank you all for your comments and feedback! It’s good to get a pace going again. Hopefully I’ll be able to maintain the tempo for a while. There are some interesting things coming up, and I have most of it roughed out.

prussiablue said:
Great Job Rens, seems that you have pick up the pace in this AAR. By the way this is the best AAR i ever read. Keep up the good work.
Prussiablue, welcome! Great to have a reader in Malaysia! I appreciate your very kind compliment.

And, Draco, thank you for your supreme compliment of "on the edge of your seat" -- that's what I try for!

Ghostwriter, thank you for your constant encouragement. As for Badboy, I don't know. I know it was in the 20's for most of my early years, but then I started taking territory in Egypt and expanding Germany. I'm thinking it would be in the 50-70 range. I don't have a handy save game to go look.

Yes, it was an unjust peace. But with the Royal Navy intact and no "blue forces" on the British Isles proper (and no prospect of getting them there), I found that even at -40 warscore, the British were unwilling to settle for anything short of what I gave them. Oh well. They were just rocks with fishermen living on them! Besides, I may well get them back.

BBBD, indeed the war could have dragged on for a while. I decided it was worth it to end it -- even at my expense -- and go on with Prussia's life!

Corrado, yes there is some excitement coming ahead for both Prussia and France. Napoleon lives in "interesting times" indeed!

I would like to mention something about a small tidbit in Vicky’s letter to her mother. Yes, this is a different “Willie” from the one we had historically. Born later (because Friedrich Wilhelm was away at war for so very long), and born without a persistent physical defect, these things will impact how Kaiser Wilhelm II will develop. While I despise psychoanalysis as pseudo-science, and psychohistory as “psycho” history, there is incontestably some little value to each. Our historical Wilhelm II clearly had “issues” related, in part, to his emasculating handicap. That will be different in my Wilhelm II, such that he will not be such a basket case. But other things influenced how the historical Kaiser turned out also. His mother doted over him like an only child, and he was a “Mama’s Boy”. He was taught to believe in himself… even when he was wrong! And that familial rift between Wilhelm I and the KronPrinz transmitted itself into our historical Willie. Interestingly, that rift is lessening in my story, and it may affect how my Willie turns out in very surprising ways. There are other things like that which will shape my Wilhelm II – some of what you will see will be the same, some will be remarkably different.

Thanks again everybody! Please keep reading and commenting. Welcome to any and all new folks! (and congratulations for making it this far through a long and dense AAR!).

I’d like to put a word out there for any British readers… Very sorry to hear of the terror attack this morning. You are in our thoughts and prayers over here! We are both engaged in a long, bitter struggle in which we have no choice but to prevail. Best wishes to you.

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Rens, Excellent as always. i am sure your defence was brillant.
If I had of been playing I would have been singing God save the Queen by now! :D

Look forward to you regrouping and taking on the Frenchies! I am playing Prussia at the moment, I hate the BB in the unification wars. Though I take Hannover before the Victoria event ;)

“Pfaww!” exclaimed the Kaiser, waving the parchment invitation in the air violently. “I would go to dance on her grave, but not until then!”

KronPrinz Friedrich Wilhelm, sitting nearby sipping tea, wore an irritated frown. Foreign Minister Rensselaer, who had just handed the Kaiser an invitation from Queen Victoria to visit England and mend ties, seemed at a loss to know how to calm the man’s rage.

“She wants to see her grandchildren!” The Kaiser fumed. “These are Prussian children! Not tea-drinking dandies!” Friedrich Wilhelm set his teacup down on its coaster… and slid it unconsciously a few inches further away. The Kaiser went on. “She won’t have my grandchildren to corrupt with her ways, if I have anything to say about it.” He fixed the KronPrinz with his gaze, insisting, “And I do.”

Friedrich Wilhelm’s frown wilted momentarily. He let a few meek seconds pass, then suggested, “Father. My wife desperately wishes to go, and after all this time I feel it is wrong to keep her from it. Besides, I also think this is a good time for Prussia to put a good face on the peace. Bitterness will take us nowhere in the world.”

Rensselaer was about to say something, but halted himself when the pacing Kaiser gave him a pointed glare as he passed. He stopped to recast his approach.

The Kronprinz brooded a few more moments, then said flatly, “The English hate us right now as much as we hate them.” The Kaiser ceased his pacing and actually listened. “Our visit, as a gesture, will impress some, to the benefit of Prussia… and will make others’ blood boil. And some of their anger will be directed toward the Queen for inviting us in the first place.”

Rensselaer appraised the KronPrinz for a few beats of stunned silence. Remarkably, that had been more or less what he had been about to say. Once he overcame his amazement, he weighed in. “Sein Majestat, might I suggest that this invitation was sent merely as a courtesy, or even as a taunt, with the expectation that we would turn it down. I think your s… the KronPrinz is very correct in his assessment of what the general British reaction will be. Your visit would put the Queen, the Parliament, and the British people in a very awkward situation. I would say it would have no negative potential, but that we could gain either a more positive relationship with Britain, or more empathy on the world stage, depending on how the British conduct themselves.”

The Kaiser harrumphed, and contemplated a few moments. “Very well. But he’s going,” he pointed an accusing finger at his son and heir. “Not me. He’s the diplomat of the family.” He sneered at the term. The Kaiser paced a few more steps. “I’d probably stomp on the train of the Queen’s robe or something… Intentionally or not.”

Rensselaer turned his attention to the Kronprinz, who smiled subtly, but proudly. Rensselaer reflected on how Friedrich Wilhelm was normally dominated by his more intelligent wife. But she did not even know of the Queen’s offer, and she would never have made the observations he had.

Strangely, this magnificently gifted soldier had always been a dullard and a misfit in any other role besides Husband and Father. Was that changing? Or was he just having a good day?

Excellent, the Prinz is about to take over!
By the way I find in the game the Prince is not a great general, good but nothing spectacular especially compared to some of the other generals of the time.
Just my observation. :p

Me thinks that Prussia will be in quite capable hands once Fritz takes the throne. Bully for him! :D

Just how will the Brits react when their invitation is actually accepted? I canna wait to find out! :cool:

Rensslaer said:
“...Bitterness will take us nowhere in the world.”

“...He’s the diplomat of the family.”

Strangely, this magnificently gifted soldier had always been a dullard and a misfit in any other role besides Husband and Father. Was that changing? Or was he just having a good day?

also, bitterness will take us [as individuals] nowhere in life. this is an observation that i have picked up [somewhere] over the not-so-few years i have lived. i state this for the benefit of any reader who feels obligated to hold a "grudge", or any other bitterness. and, i have noticed some by members, who i hold in high esteem, but that i do not have personal access to, so that i could convey this very important message to them in a more private setting. besides, there may be someone who i have not noticed that could benefit from this sound advice.

that said, and i apologize in advance for the OT remarks,

the development of the KronPrinz is as beautiful a piece of writing as i have seen. anywhere. it brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Jack99 said:
Hey Rensslaer, think you could PM me, I'd like to ask you for some pointers on AAR writing.
Jack,

Sorry to have let this sit for a few days. Just busy with everything else...

I'd be glad to assist in any way. Writing is a craft that is learned gradually, and finding your talents and weaving them in is the trick. I've done some miserable writing in the past. Looking back, I think it's because I tried an approach that didn't work for me. In "Fire Warms" I think I've hit upon a style that works very well for me.

I'll suggest that you look at an article I wrote in the SolAARium (Renss' article in SolAARium - click the link) to get you started with what works for me. Your talents may be entirely different, but I'll hope I can help you develop yours, as you're certainly on your way already. PM me once you've taken a look (I'm posting in public here, in case others want to see), and tell me what you think!

Renss

p.s. BBBD I'll be back with you too! I'm intrigued by the concept...

GhostWriter said:
the development of the KronPrinz is as beautiful a piece of writing as i have seen. anywhere. it brought tears of joy to my eyes.
I thank you immensely, Sir! That is one of the finest compliments I've received.

I quite enjoy writing for the KronPrinz. He and his relationship with his wife has fascinated me since I first read about it in Massie's "Dreadnought" book (an excellent read for studied or amateur readers of history, alike!). It's too bad I haven't had the chance to read the book I found at the library about the letters Fritz and Vicky exchanged with each other in real life. It might have enlivened the stories even more, had I known how they really wrote to each other.

Obviously, I also enjoy writing for Rensselaer and for Louis Napoleon (which surprised me!). Longanecker is fun too, and we shall have more scenes with him in the future (as with the rest!).

Renss

All right... Well, I invited you to a show: the KronPrinz' visit to England. While it doesn't really add much to the story, I'll use it as a character sketch so you'll get to meet some of the characters who may or may not (key point, here) play important roles in the AAR's coming years.

Jack99, and whoever else might be interested, I'm adding another point on writing to the SolAARium (back in AARs and Fanfiction -- General Discussions), which exists solely for discussions on the craft of writing.

The following quote I add here just for fun, though it relates obliquely to the upcoming scene:

"Insanity runs in my family... It practically gallops!" -- Mortimer Brewster (played by Cary Grant), Arsenic and Old Lace

Enjoy!

Renss

On first meeting, England and Empress Victoria’s House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha extended the grandest of Royal courtesies to their peculiar visitors, Prussian Crown Prince Frederick William, the Crown Princess Victoria, and their eldest son William. Extraordinary efforts had clearly been made to make the visit as comfortable as possible. This was made easier due to the presence of the Crown Princess, whose absence from England of just more than a decade had not lessened her connection with the British people by more than a degree. Her grace and genuine relief to finally be home would help warm the countless events ahead of them.

To welcome the Prussian party, Empress Victoria dispatched the free-spirited 28 year old Prince Albert Edward of Wales – young Prince Willy’s “Uncle Edward” – who was still known to Frederick William and the rest of “The Family” by his boyhood nickname, “Bertie.” With him was the Prince’s eldest son, Eddy, who was 5 – the same age as Willy. He was tall, rail thin, and wore a somewhat goofy, absent-minded grin. Also present was his second son George who, though a year younger and very boyish looking, had a sharper, more self-aware look about him. All three of the youngsters, owing to constant tutoring in how to be a good prince, looked, behaved and spoke in ways far beyond their years.

Frederick William had noted with some hurt and remorse that the Princess Alexandra of Wales – a very bitter Dane – was not present. Perhaps one cause for resentment – the recent war between England and Prussia – could be put aside, but the deeper childhood memories she harbored of the embarrassing military defeat of her country at the hands of the Prussians (and at the hands of Frederick William, personally!) could not be overcome.

The Prussian Crown Prince also had taken note that the British people were not very much in evidence along the docks SMS KronPrinz had passed, and that those longshoremen whose presence could not be avoided alternated between indifference and angry gestures. For that matter, he sensed that the Prince of Wales was hardly as sincere in his happiness as he pretended.

Prince Willy, for his part, saw only two comrades with whom he could play – two royal peers whose lives were as scripted and repressive as his own, but who would be allowed to entertain their guest in ways boys – even princes – yearn to do. After several more formal settings, during which Willy became familiar with the princely pair, they finally had an opportunity on the second afternoon to romp in the palatial gardens.

“Let us pretend we are cavalrymen, fighting the Egyptians!” Willy suggested.

“Cavalry?” Eddy said, perplexed. “Why would you want to be in the cavalry?”

“For the glory of the Empire, of course!” Willy explained. “Don’t you have royal cavalry regiments?”

Eddy pondered for a long moment. “I guess we do. But just for parades, I think.”

George jumped in. “We want to be in the Royal Navy. Forget the cavalry.”

Thinking he would impress his friends, Willy said, “My father says I can join the cavalry when I’m 16.” His chin raised a noble notch.

“That’s nothing!” George countered. “We can join the Navy when we’re 12. And we’re going to! Eh, brother?”

“Yeah!” It was that goofy grin again.

Willy’s military world had just been rocked. Twelve! That’s plenty better than waiting until 16. “Well,” Willy said, wanting it all. “Then I guess I’ll join the Navy when I’m 12, and then the cavalry when I’m 16!” Seemingly, each of them felt that was a good solution. They’d surely be bored with the navy after four years, anyway.

George climbed a tree, and shaded his eyes as if peering into the distance. “I see a pirate ship, Cap’n!”

Captain Eddy ordered them into battle – for the umpteenth time in their short lives – and soon the pirates were suffering the worst the Royal Navy could dish out. First one ship was burning, then three.

But Prince Willy soon tired of being a gunlayer on a foreign ship, no matter how well they were doing. “Now you see a fine Prussian steamer, the SMS Berlin! Kapitain Willy, at your service!”

“Bully!” said Eddy, with sincere gusto.

“Aww, I don’t want a Prussian ship,” George disagreed. “They’ll just get beat!”

“Will not!” Willy defended his honor. “These are some of the finest ships on the seas!”

The princes were sailing in dangerous waters – Willy on one side, George on the other, while Eddy seemed willing to hear both sides. But there were pirates to fight, so… “George,” the elder brother counseled carefully. “We’re all friends, here. We can use the help of a Prussian vessel.”

“They aren’t worth the wood they’re made of!”

“I say!” Willy stomped. “If our navy’s so bad, then how did we beat you?” Eddy nodded at what seemed to him a worthy point, and he contemplated on it while the others jousted.

“You didn’t beat the Royal Navy! That’s for sure. Every bloody time we met, the Prussians ran or sank!”

“George!” the elder brother shouted. “Watch your language.”

“It’s the bleedin’ truth!” George emphasized. Eddy was scandalized at his brother’s cussing which, unfortunately, he’d learned from their father.

“Well, of course! Because your navy has ten ships for every one of ours. But we gave as good as we got! And then some! And we did win the war.” Willy crossed his arms.

George’s eyes narrowed, and his finger pointed. “If you won the war, then how is it that not one Prussian soldier ever landed on the British Isles?” George’s point set Eddy to nodding again. “And why did you give up all your Pacific islands just so we’d make peace?”

Willy wasn’t sure exactly what to say to that. While he was considering, Eddy moved to make a peace of his own. “George! I say, the pirates are getting away! Pursue! Captain Willy… Pursue with us!”

More fruitful battles were indeed to be had, and the young boys, without 15 years between them, left their argument for adults to pursue. As surely they would.