• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hope the newspaper is coming along well, Rens. Let me know when that first issue comes out. Will it be online? If so, I would be happy to throw a link on my blog (though I don't know if my two and a half readers will appreciate it. ;) )

So what is up with our trusty Prussians? Don't leave us hanging too long, though I certainly understand your newspaper taking much time away from more leisurely pursuits.

coz1 said:
Hope the newspaper is coming along well, Rens. Let me know when that first issue comes out. Will it be online? If so, I would be happy to throw a link on my blog (though I don't know if my two and a half readers will appreciate it. ;) )

So what is up with our trusty Prussians? Don't leave us hanging too long, though I certainly understand your newspaper taking much time away from more leisurely pursuits.
Thank you, Coz, for your kind words! Actually, I finally have (after endless setbacks and frustrations!) 7,000 copies of my first issue sitting in my living room (to my wife's great chagrin) and I'm working on getting them out the door! It's unbelievable all the little things that go into printing a newspaper. But I'm finally official! I will have some full stories and the lead-ins to others posted on the Web, but not the full content of the paper. That's so I have some justification for charging people for the full content! Must make a living, as this is about 70% of my financial livelihood right now.

As for the AAR, I have the next update (the next few, actually) all but written (and partially so, that!). I just need to sit down and finalize them. There is another two years yet of AAR to catch up on (I've played up to 1869 now), and miracle of miracles... I have finally achieved a resolution to my war with the British Empire (I'll leave you hanging as to whether that's good news for the Prussians)! More to come, for sure. It's a good sign that I've finally found time to even play.

Coz, and those others who have been checking back in, and also to those like the generous Sesame Street who have newly stumbled upon this, I want to thank you! I find now that just since my last update the AAR has received 1,000 reads, and 3,000 since my last regular publication! Thank you for hanging with me!

I'll be back, hopefully soon!

Rensslaer

The time for rejoicing is approaching, Ren is on his way back! Hot Diggity!! :D

Rensslaer said:
...Thank you for hanging with me!

I'll be back, hopefully soon!

EXCELLENT! i am looking forward to the next update! :D

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

Prussian forces in southern Africa were naturally demoralized after the death of their general, and after having been forced to retreat back across the lands of their hard-won colony. Indeed, it seemed from previous battles and the balance of forces in the region that the British must necessarily prevail.

Their new commander, General Arnhelt Schwedt, was a young, brash man, fresh to his braid and collar tabs. But his intelligence outmatched many of his contemporaries, to the point that jealousy had hindered his rise through the ranks.

Schwedt was determined to use his advantage in cavalry – perfect for the ground of these arid lands. He envisioned a sweep to swing around the British infantry brigades and catch them unawares.

ss214a.jpg

Meanwhile, other moves were underway to preserve and extend Prussian influence in Africa. The 11th Corps was mounting expeditions from Freetown, and through the end of 1866 and the early part of 1867 had managed to capture most of the British Crown Colony of West Africa. The 3rd Corps had struggled through the largely unexplored inland portions of west Africa, encountered what they assumed to be the Upper Volta River, and intended from there to threaten the British Gold Coast from the interior.

And the 4th Corps was transported from Spain, along the coast of Africa all the way to Swakopmund, in order to defend this last remaining naval outpost of Namibia from British takeover. Nevertheless, by June this unit had been defeated, and the northern coastline of Namibia was entirely in British hands.

But while the British were advancing up the coast, General Schwedt’s bold plan was succeeding. The Stralsund Cavalry swept south across the grassy plains of Namibia until they reached and recaptured the British-held outpost of Stoltzenfels in March, 1867. Schwedt proceeded on toward the coast, reaching the sea again at Springbokfontein in April. Once he had secured that area, the Stralsund Cavalry rode south toward undefended Capetown, hopeful that provisions could be made to guard his rear against the returning British brigades.

:D :D :D HURRAH!!! The Prussians return!!! :D :D :D

Still seems a bit touch and go in Africa, but if you can surround them (which it sounds as though you are trying to do just that) you can sweep them from the field.

I wonder if you might be able to give us a short summary of the overall picture. I admit that I may have forgotten where everyone is since the last time you updated.

And I hope to get quite a few more updates in the days ahead if your schedule allows. :D

Sounds like General Schwedt is kicking some butt, now here's hoping that he can keep it up long enough to get the Brit's to call this war off, eh? :)

Welcome back, both Coz & Draco! Great to see you haven't lost interest.

At Coz’ request, which is most worthy to be responded to, I shall update you on the story as it stands heretofore. I apologize for the lateness of these most recent updates, and I do intend to continue them, but perhaps slowly. In point of fact, I should be working on my newspaper right now. But I miss you folks and Victoria too, and so here we are…

As you may recall, jealousy and distrust (read, badboy) caused the animosity to build up between the British Empire and Prussia, which had in the last war subjected France, Spain and most of Italy as satellite states to the Prussians (an empire entirely too recollective of Napoleon’s massive empire for British comfort). The British declared war in September 1865. But, before much could happen in war with the British, Austria decided to contest for leadership of Germany, and, joined by the South German Federation, fought a relatively brief but sharp war with Prussia that became the center of the world’s attention.

In the end, Austria conceded, an armistice was signed, the South German Federation was almost entirely absorbed by Prussia, as well as a couple of Austrian provinces, and the war with Britain returned to the forefront.

During the Austrian war, British troops had nearly overrun France. However, by the beginning of 1867, they had been pushed back from Paris and fighting concentrated on the western and northern coasts. Brief skirmishes were fought around Gibraltar, and around Denmark, with no conclusive results yet had.

Around the world, Prussia held possessions in Peru and Egypt (Sinai) which had remained thus far undisturbed. However, Prussia had seized all of Britain’s Pacific island claims, and British holdings in China had been taken, which still rose up from time to time. In Africa, as noted in the most recent update, there is a struggle underway for control of South Africa, and Prussian armies are active in the British coastal colonies from West Africa and down the coast to the south and east, nearly as far as the Bight of Africa where Nigeria sits.

More to come, surely, as the war with the British Empire grinds on exhaustingly…

Rensslaer

Ahh, most helpful. Thank you, sir. It seems you really have the UK in your sights, but being stubborn about peace as they are, I imagine it will need to grind on. Do as they do and keep that stiff upper lip and all should turn out well...or do as Prussians are want to do and beat the holy hell out them. That might work too. ;)

Just a of the topic question. Will you ever become Germany or just go along with prussia all the way?

P.S This has so far been one of the best AAR's i've have read. Eagerly awaiting the next update.

Skymning said:
Just a of the topic question. Will you ever become Germany or just go along with Prussia all the way?

P.S This has so far been one of the best AAR's i've have read. Eagerly awaiting the next update.

i just re-read the entire thread as i thought that the answer to your question was somewhere therein... if so, i did not find it. :rolleyes:

that said, the re-read gave me a question of my own. is it possible that the AI is programmed to recognize that a player has a debt problem and is slow to make peace to aggravate said problem? or, is the AI just intentionally programmed to be slow to make peace to aggravate the debt problem??? :wacko:

anyhooo, yep, this is one awesome AAR. and you are not the only one eagerly and anxiously awaiting the next update.

to quote another reader, MORE!

Ghostwriter and Skymning - I believe he said somewhere early on that he wanted to stay as Prussia the whole way through rather than turn into Germany. Can't remember when or where that was, but it seems to me it was in the comments somewhere.

Hey Rensslaer!

Just dropped by to say that this AAR is going well, and that your AAR is the fifth longest Victoria thread ever! Third longest if we do not count the two comments threads. (My AAR is sixth and fourth, respectively.)

Anyways, keep up the good work!

this is still a nice AAR :)

Skymning said:
Just a of the topic question. Will you ever become Germany or just go along with prussia all the way?

Skymning, Anonymous, Strategist & Ghostwriter... Welcome back, and thank you for your kind comments! And I am humbled, Ghostwriter, that you have taken the time to re-read it all. It's a lot to read, and yet, still not near finished.

Actually, my mood since the beginning has been thus... I regard Germany as rather mundane compared to Prussia -- colors, flag, character just lacks something to me -- yet I would like to see, and more importantly, my characters would like to see, a united Germany. As a player, my position has been that I will play along without any mind to the game mechanics that might trigger such a union. If I meet them, then I will accept that (though I may change the color back to blue, and perhaps modify the flag). However, if things go differently, I would be proud to enter the 20th Century as a Prussian! :)

Thanks for your readership!

Rensslaer

I have read the entire AAR, and I must say that I have enjoyed it a lot. It is one of the best ones I have ever read (and I have read quite a lot). Good luck with you Empire!

Rensslaer said:
Actually, my mood since the beginning has been thus... I regard Germany as rather mundane compared to Prussia -- colors, flag, character just lacks something to me -- yet I would like to see, and more importantly, my characters would like to see, a united Germany. As a player, my position has been that I will play along without any mind to the game mechanics that might trigger such a union. If I meet them, then I will accept that (though I may change the color back to blue, and perhaps modify the flag). However, if things go differently, I would be proud to enter the 20th Century as a Prussian! :)
i agree, the Prussian color and flag is spiffy. the only color i like better than Prussian Blue is the Bavarian Blue. :wacko:

hmmm. did i say more?
MORE!

Prussian

Rensslaer said:
However, if things go differently, I would be proud to enter the 20th Century as a Prussian! :)
Rensslaer

I think of myself as a Prussian. Always have.... well, Prussian / Junkers. It's in the blood and bone. You know what they say... you can take the Prussian out of Germany....

AKA "Once a Hun, always a Hun" :rolleyes: