• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ooh! New readers! And I'm not even around much this week!

Welcome, Kfoelsch! And thank you for your kind words! I've put my heart and soul into this, far more than I expected when I began. I'm looking forward to coming back to it soon.

And welcome, Sultan! I'm actually in southwest Littleton, but was born in Arvada. Arvada shall be one of the centers of attention in my newspaper! Why do you ask? Are you there?

Coolness, Ghostwriter. You'll have to let us know how your games are going. AAR? :D

Well, the cool news is that I'm now self-employed (still finishing my days at my other job, but...) and owner of my own newspaper, The Front Range Rampart! Things came together very quickly. Friday, I was wondering if it would ever work out, and fretting about what I would do if it didn't, and over the next three days everything fell into place perfectly! By the grace of God, indeed!

I've just ordered a computer, and I'm getting things set up to have my first issue next month, followed by weekly issues in January. I will have some stories posted to the web, but most will be in print format. And, to torture a saying, I will soon be as busy as a one-armed paper writer! But I hope to still have time to write here... in fact, I insist upon it! :)

Rensslaer

Last edited:
Great news Ren! Good luck with the paper and the rest of this AAR.

Congrats! This country DEFINITELY needs another conservative, or even moderate, newspaper. We'll keep up with the AAR as well.

JoshWeber said:
Congrats! This country DEFINITELY needs another conservative, or even moderate, newspaper. We'll keep up with the AAR as well.
gee. i did not know that the country even had a conservative or moderate newspaper! :rolleyes:

Rensslaer said:
Coolness, Ghostwriter. You'll have to let us know how your games are going. AAR?

OK, an AAR in your AAR, which will answer your first (non) question. :wacko:

i started my first game as Prussia. :D :cool: my primary source of information is a VickyWiki article: { ->here<- }

anyway, the AAR looks like this. i do the waste Hanover in about 4 or 5 weeks (started about Feb 1), but it takes them until about May 21 to decide that i ain't settling for less than satellite. OH, i started the game with adding +5 to reserves, then added another 5 div to reserves on July 1, 1836.

hum along until Jan 2, 1838 and decide to call up reserves (mobilization.) all this time i am trying to figure out how to DOW Hesse-Kassel, an ally. duh, drop them as ally and wait seven days... man, that was really hard. :eek:o :rolleyes:

so, on March 10, i start the process. for some reason, i did not DOW until March 21. i expected to have the mobilization complete on April 2 (somewhere i read that it takes 90 days.) anyway, i had built some Cav-H's, and had four of them in that small place next to Switzerland, expecting to move two to the east, and two to the west. which i did. i had adequate forces everywhere except at the north center of Bavaria and the north and east of Saxony [just below Berlin] (none, as the mobilized forces had not mobilized.) i figured that with the extra divisions i had built, that i could hang out until the mobilization occurred. after all, i had almost a 90 day lead over those guys. plus, i was only trying to get everything except Bavaria.

damn, those infantry move slow. i think it took over a month for them to get to Frankfurt am Main, and that was behind a pair of Cav-H's. then it took me another month to realize that Frankfurt am Main was not at war with me. same with Heidelberg (Baden), :( :( except that i figured that out when my southern forces got to the capital and no fighting occurred. hmmm. Bavaria is at war with me: so i decide to go for them (about 4 weeks into the campaign.) the reason for my not realizing that those two "countries" were not at war with me is that i am colorblind, and did not notice the different colors... also, because i am colorblind, i only play in the political map.

FWIW, the mobilization never occurred!

at the end, there were places (remember that north central area that was bare of units?) that i had not even moved units into due to the lack of forces. however, i had all of Bavaria either blue or occupied with superior forces to whatever was there...

in Müchen, i had just defeated the local forces when a massive army of 80 divisions appeared. read that, "799,970" massive (in one corps.) i guess that 30 of their men tripped over each other in the haste to get to battle and shot a comrade! :wacko: needless to say, i was not happy to see the "your XXV. Korps was annihilated" message not long after the appearance of that mobilized force.

bottom line is that two little places in the north accepted annexation, but everyone else only offered 'white' peaces. well, Württemberg offered me one or two provinces, but i was interested in all three non capital provinces...

anyone know why my mobilization never occurred? the only thing that i can think of that may be a factor is that i had no manpower in the manpower pool. you know, that negative number that everyone starts the game with... :wacko: (also, i did build 5 Cav-H's with some manpower that appeared after i mobilized, which dropped my manpower to one!)

Boy, I love being part of a massive, well-backed, and unspeakably influential cabal devoted to the moral downfall of America. And hearing about it never gets old!

A fine AAR. I've never had the stomach for German games -- Blood and Iron taking the day and all that; all of the successful games I've done have been rather more cloak and dagger. Good to see you doing so well with this one! And the writing density -- wow! Not much past the halfway mark of the 19th century, and you've already got 20 pages. I'm truly impressed and I'm looking forward to more.

And, to torture a saying, I will soon be as busy as a one-armed paper writer!

HEY! I am essesntially a one-armed writer.
angryjump.gif

Ghostwriter the Bavaria getting nigh on a million men reserve pool is a bug, you can change it so that its normal value.

Also, when you mobilized did you press the Mobilize button, because if you did they should all be sitting in you reserve pool because you don't need manpower to mobilize the reserves.

Also what type of colourblindness are you? I'm red and green and can play the game fine, i've never had a problem distinguishing between who is at war with me and who isn't.

yearrr, where's the update lad? :rofl:

Skymning said:
yearrr, where's the update lad? :rofl:
Yup, yup... Sorry! :( Still trying to find time to do both this and plan the business. Thank you for your interest, though! It shall be rewarded soon, I promise!

Ghostwriter, like Aachen said, the Bavarian Horde is a bug that is fixed with a patch developed by Darkrenown. You can look up Darkrenown on the forum, and his signature has a link to his German Unification Patch, which is very well done. It takes care of your Bavarian neighbors, while at the same time adding some realistic refinements to the "badboy" calculations (other countries' record of how aggressive and dangerous you are). As for the mobilized troops (I biffed this, too, when I mobilized after the Austrians attacked), you have to watch for them to appear in your reserve box. They'll appear there just like the troops you build. There should probably be a pop-up to advise you of this, but there is not.

I will be back with you all soon! Must go.

Rensslaer

Aachen said:
Ghostwriter the Bavaria getting nigh on a million men reserve pool is a bug, you can change it so that its normal value.

Also, when you mobilized did you press the Mobilize button, because if you did they should all be sitting in you reserve pool because you don't need manpower to mobilize the reserves.

Also what type of colourblindness are you? I'm red and green and can play the game fine, i've never had a problem distinguishing between who is at war with me and who isn't.

what is the "normal" value for Bavarian reserve pool?

i was not aware about the usage of the mobilization pool because i had not used it against Hannover, however see below...

also red and green. the colours that showed up for the German minors not at war with me were tooooo close to the colours that showed up for the war birds.... even after i figured out that the two "countries" were not at war with me, it was virtually impossible for me to tell the two colours apart. mind you, i am talking about the diplomacy screen as i am accustomed to using that screen in HOI...

GW, like Aachen said, the Bavarian Horde is a bug that is fixed with a patch developed by Darkrenown. You can look up Darkrenown on the forum, and his signature has a link to his German Unification Patch, which is very well done. It takes care of your Bavarian neighbors, while at the same time adding some realistic refinements to the "badboy" calculations (other countries' record of how aggressive and dangerous you are). As for the mobilized troops (I biffed this, too, when I mobilized after the Austrians attacked), you have to watch for them to appear in your reserve box. They'll appear there just like the troops you build. There should probably be a pop-up to advise you of this, but there is not.

i was reading about that Darkrenown Uni Patch, but i thought it was for VIP. is there another Uni Patch for vanilla?

i checked the reserve box at least once a week, they never showed up. in fact, i just checked some of the game saves: from Feb 2, 1838 to Aug 11, 1838. in each of them i checked for reserves in the build pool/reserve box, on the map, and that the mobilization button had been checked. again, they never showed up. :confused: FWIW, i played to Nov 11, 1838, but did not save anything past Aug 11, 1838...

also, i agree that a pop-up with a default of pause the game should happen when the mobilization units show up.

edit to add: also, i checked the game save file to see if the mobilization units were there. they were, but with a "release" date of 75 days from when i mobilized. :confused: :rolleyes: :wacko: i remember reading that the mobilization should take "2 months" as well as "3 months". what is the right period of time to mobilize?

Last edited:
Got Them !

GhostWriter said:
..i checked for reserves in the build pool/reserve box,..

OK guys, i found the mobilized units. there are TWO places you get units.
1. the normal build pool (aka build queue.)
2. the mobilized units show up in the mobilization/redeployment pool.

you access the first one by clicking within the "recruiting box", where you build new divisions/flotillas.

you access the second one by clicking within the "mobilization box", in the lower right corner of the military overview box. [also, to the right of the "Leaders box".]

i just found this information at -> Vicky Wiki, HERE <- ! thanks Memnon!

mea culpa. when all things are said and done, it is my fault because i did not recognize Memnon's Manual when i went thru Vicky Wiki the first and the second times... :eek:o the bummer is, that i only found the Manual (from a link in a thread) after i had done about a dozen searches in the Forums for things... :wacko:

GhostWriter said:
i just found this information at -> Vicky Wiki, HERE <- ! thanks Memnon!

mea culpa. when all things are said and done, it is my fault because i did not recognize Memnon's Manual when i went thru Vicky Wiki the first and the second times... :eek:o the bummer is, that i only found the Manual (from a link in a thread) after i had done about a dozen searches in the Forums for things... :wacko:
Yeah, Memnon's manual is tops. Did wonders for my figuring out the game. Sorry I didn't mention it right off, to get you going! Best wishes in your gaming.

I will try to get an update up sometime in the next couple of days. Still trying!

Rensslaer

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia’s Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

Even as the central theatre of Prussian combat with Austria entered its final phase, French General Vasser and Prussian military commanders in the west feared that they would soon lose control of France.

Indeed, while Prussian attention was drawn elsewhere, the British Army had made enormous inroads into Normandy and Brittany.

ss204x.jpg

But once the security of Paris was ensured by Vasser's victory at Amiens (for which Bazaine claimed all credit), he was then prepared to bring the might of his corps to bear against the scattered British divisions.

Beginning at Rouen in December, Vasser swept across the Norman coast and forced a British withdrawal from Cherbourg.

ss224x.jpg

By late March, 1867, the entire situation in France had reversed. Word had reached the soldiers in the field that Austria had treated for peace, Badener and Bavarian divisions from the east were closing in on the warfront, and Vasser had achieved mastery of the British left flank.

Soon, Prussia seemed to be victorious and on the move on almost every front. Only the situation in Africa seemed unresolved. Citizens in Britain and elsewhere began predicting peace terms would come soon. Yet, the British Crown and Prime Minister remained proudly resistant.

Damn British and that stiff upper lip and what not! As much as it may pain the Crown Prince, he may have to take the fight to England's soil, eh? Is that even possible? I forget how the Royal Navy and the Prussian navy stack up against each other. Oh, that's not good. Not good at all.

Rensslaer said:
...Soon, Prussia seemed to be victorious and on the move on almost every front. Only the situation in Africa seemed unresolved. Citizens in Britain and elsewhere began predicting peace terms would come soon. Yet, the British Crown and Prime Minister remained proudly resistant.

so, what is your debt now? do you have any knowledge of the British debt or cash level? what is your war-weariness and that of Britain?

drat, i just realized. :rolleyes: it is a shame that you cannot win a battle of attrition with the AI in this game... Britain has virtually unlimited manpower in India, and perhaps, other colonial possessions. leaving the coast free for all the landings the British want to land is a waste of your manpower. and cash. :(

excellent AAR! :cool:

GhostWriter said:
so, what is your debt now? do you have any knowledge of the British debt or cash level? what is your war-weariness and that of Britain?
Gah! It's been a month since I've had any time to play. I appreciate that people keep reading, and it appears that we've picked up some new posters... Thanks, el Presidente (and a belated congrats on your WoW award, which I believe I missed), Aachen, Skymning, Hasskugel and Rey, for your more recent postings, and also my best wishes to those who have been with me for so long of the journey -- Lord GQ, Draco, Josh, Coz...

And Ghostwriter, thank you for your kind enthusiasm! In answer to your question, my debt at the time of the last update (March 1867) stood at 243,000 "pounds". Not a record on my part, by any means, but of serious concern. I really don't know about the state of the British weariness (forgot to look) or their debt level. I can say that they're surely doing quite all right, based on what I now know about how the war has progressed.

I would like to take a moment to thank everybody who has been reading, and posting. The newspaper has drawn me temporarily away (I fully intend to finish the game and the AAR), but I want to acknowledge all of your contributions to taking me into the newspaper business, this fine new adventure!

Interestingly, in retrospect I must say that my experience here on this forum helped me make the decision to strike out on my own and begin a newspaper. For one, your constant encouragement on my writing was tremendous, and gave me confidence that I could sustain a quality of writing sufficient to begin the newspaper. Secondly, the constant updates and the tempo of writing what is essentially a fiction serial (a series of regular updates) made me realize that I can write on a schedule (the present instance excepted, of course!) and can produce copy at will -- a skill which we are all developing, but which is critical to a successful newspaper.

So, in a way, you have brought me to realize this dream of mine. So, I must express my hearty gratitude! :)

It is my most urgent hope that once I put my first issue out (a promotional issue which should come out before Christmas), I will have some time before I begin regular publication to spend with Vicky and the AAR. You will be hearing from me again in coming days. Until then...

Rensslaer

I have to say this is quite an excellent AAR you have going on here Rensslaer. It has taken me a few days, but I was finally able to read through it.. Great work. I hope to see an update soon, and good luck with your newspaper!