• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
NO SUCH THING AS A GERMAN PEOPLE? THIS MAN MUST BE TRIED FOR HERESY!

Good updates.

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia’s Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

Having had time to prepare their attack, the South German Federation, at least, was ready for war when it came. Federation divisions at once crossed the border with the Prussian Empire and began claiming land. Within slightly more than a month, three provinces had fallen to the SGF -- Karlsbad, Kreuznach and isolated Sigmaringen.

While Feldmarschall von Moltke quickly invaded Wurzburg from his position in the North German Federation, even he soon had to turn back and retake Meiningen, which had fallen at the beginning of March. Soon, Strassburg in the west, and Saxon Chemnitz in the east had also been seized by SGF troops.

The emergency reaction required some re-ordering of forces. General Manteuffel's cavalry was split up, half going to eastern Silesia to counter the invasion of Austrian forces, and the rest being added to Feldmarschall von Moltke's army. Manteuffel took command of a small infantry corps which moved into Saxony and attacked the former Saxon capital of Dresden. However, he was forced to fall back to Leipzig by superior forces, where he consolidated with other divisions and began the march back to Dresden.

ss140x.jpg

In the west, the first good news came with the recapture of Kreuznach by the Kronprinz and the seizing of Freiburg by Prinz Friedrich Karl at the beginning of April. The 13th Infantry Corps reacted to the SGF capture of Strassburg, and had counterattacked feebly in mid-March. They found themselves locked in a battle of attrition with equal forces, in need of relief. However, that relief would be long in coming, as Kronprinz Friedrich Wilhelm met unexpected resistance from Bavarian partisans in Kaiserslautern while enroute to assist Prinz Friedrich Karl toward the end of April. His estimated time en route, planned at just three days, was extended to eleven.

There was a real fear in Berlin that the situation in the west, which should have been easily controlled, was descending into a messy quagmire. And with British troops having finally made their move against the coast of France at the end of March (at St. Brieuc), Kaiser Wilhelm and his ministers found themselves increasingly anxious.

ss139x.jpg

Things are looking quite dicey.... but then again, things looked just as bleak when Louie Nappy invaded Prussia a couple of years ago and look how that turned out, eh?

I dear say that Austria and the SGF needs to be serveraly reprimanded for their actions.... say, ANNEXATION?

Lord G. Q. White said:
To Big to be annexed but The SGF would end up with 1 province if he can sattalite them.
Yes, well...

"The City State of Munchen" does have an appealing ring to it! ;)

Renss

Yes, precarious is putting it lightly. But I have faith. Crush that SGF and then turn to the others, I say.

Lord Greven, von Lippe, Draco, Josh, Heretic, El Rey... Great to hear from all of you! I'm sorry I haven't had time to respond back in any personal way recently. I've had a new fellow at work to train, and have been focused on that. Thank you for reading and commenting.

TekcoR, thank you very much for your kind comments, and JoshWeber for your granting me the coveted WritAAR of the Week award! Coming from the two of you, accomplished and brilliant writers both, your commendations are high praise!

Josh, I don't think I mentioned this directly, but Joachim is an anthropologist... trying to explain nationalism to an anthropologist probably won't do any good! ;)

Coz, you are correct about the man's parentage... I was leaving it kind of "Jacky Fisher" vague (Q. Victoria's First Sea Lord was very slightly of some unnamed Asian heritage, but it didn't hurt his ascent too badly). You will be hearing more from Joachim Longanecker.

Thanks again for your readership and comments!

Renss

A hastily scribbled note, found in a captured dispatch pouch by Bavarian cavalry

24 April

Fritz,

I am in receipt of your note regarding the partisans in Kaiserslautern, and I understand your need to remain there.

However, I must emphasize the need for your assistance at my location as soon as possible. The division I had faced, and have faced for a week now, has been reinforced by another, and we now find ourselves outnumbered almost two to one in territory that favors the defender, and our losses are beginning to tell.

We are managing as best we can, but your arrival will be most welcomed.

Karl

Karl's sounding to be getting a bit skittish as a war leader. I hope he holds his ground until Fitz is able to shop up with the UberCavalry army he's got! :eek:

Rensslaer said:
Josh, I don't think I mentioned this directly, but Joachim is an anthropologist... trying to explain nationalism to an anthropologist probably won't do any good! ;)

BAH! He must be reeducated! ;)

Capitaine Denis Chapelle had made some life-changing decisions while festering in a Prussian prisoner of war camp. He determined that he would become a good and worthy soldier, that he would make the French Army his career, and that he would strive to become an officer. Nothing else made sense after his defeat at Erfurt, inside Germany. But it was strange that he now found himself fighting on the same side as Prussia. No matter. They now had another, equally historical enemy.

That June 5th, 1866, Chapelle led his company of nearly 200 "redlegs" into battle against a bridgehead the British had established at St. Brieuc, on the northwest coast of France.

The prison camp, Chapelle recalled for a moment, had not been a bad place. It was an army camp inside Prussia from which they were not allowed to leave, and where the food was very bad and in poor supply -- really not very different from the encampments of the French Army back home!

There, though, the Prussian guards had told him -- joked to him, actually -- about how they had found the French such easy marks due to the visibility of their red uniform pants. Chapelle understood completely, as he could now pick out the British redcoats even more plainly, with their tall, brilliant white helmets.

The fighting was bloody, as his unit was one of the first to attack. But, with 450,000 Frenchmen against 150,000 Britishers, the outcome was not in doubt. In the space of two weeks, the British had been compelled to surrender.

stbrieuc.jpg

But shortly after this solid victory, of which they were so proud, Chapelle learned that they were to march again. The British had landed at Amiens, and were marching on Paris. They would have to hurry to be of any use! Why Marshal-President Bazaine had personally led the vast majority of the French Army to western France when his coasts and capital were undefended was a complete mystery -- one of many they had found in Bazaine, who was inscrutable, as always.

Lord G. Q. White said:
Chapelle? :rofl:

Maybe I watch too much comedy central but that's just amusing. :D
Yeah, that's the old Sergeant Chapelle -- the Captains are just trying to keep me down!

Actually, 16 years ago I met a guy named Chapelle, and he made me promise to use his name in a story. I remembered!

Renss

Last edited:
Lord G. Q. White said:
Good Lord that's a HUGE battle. :eek:
The French loaned a unit to me for the war, but this "corps" was 43 divisions! I couldn't break it up, without giving it back to the French, so I moved it around France, where it gained a reputation like Godzilla. Eventually, once the threats had broken up and there was enough front that more units were needed, I gave it back to the French.

Those Brits are starting to get on my nerves. It seems they just keep landing and landing and the French AI would rather you control their massive army? Hmmm...