• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GhostWriter said:
kptb: ..One question though, why did you fortify the provinces away from the border with France and not the once immediately on the border?

please allow me to guess that those fortified provinces used to be on the border with France. :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl:

The more reasoned answer is: defense in depth. It lets the Prussian troops be reinforced to a warfooting without the French hitting them while they're organizing. :cool:

GhostWriter said:
kptb: ..One question though, why did you fortify the provinces away from the border with France and not the once immediately on the border?

please allow me to guess that those fortified provinces used to be on the border with France. :rofl: :rofl:
Well... Yes! :D There IS that! And FJ44 is correct, too.

But, actually, KPTB, I chose to fortify the locations which seemed the most defensible. Those three provinces between Belgium and Switzerland were the shortest defensible line. Otherwise I would have had to build 4 or more forts to have a solid line.

Re: "Ships" vs. "Boats" -- Yes, indeed! But what do you expect from a landlubber who doesn't know "ships"? Stnylan -- :rofl: I hope it added to the humor of the piece. :D

FJ44 -- Like I said, I'm not POSITIVE the Massie book was where I read it... It just seems the most logical place for me to have. Great book, indeed!

Avernite -- Thank you for your comment. I was just kidding, btw. But your comment makes me VERY interested in how you will react to the update AFTER the one I am about to post... :D You'll see!

Thanks again to everybody who reads! Especially those of you who take the time to comment and encourage my writing!!!

Prussiablue -- There are so many considerations in naval combat -- all the naval doctrines and technological advancements (can you say MEGO? -- My Eyes Glaze Over!). And I hardly had a navy in the 1860's when we were last at war with the Royal Navy. I really had no idea. I was... apprehensive! To say the least! And with good reason! You'll see... eventually.

And, actually, this happens to relate quite nicely to my next update! Which is coming in... A few minutes! :D

Rensslaer

Framed by a short-cropped crown of white hair, the man’s round face displayed the wrinkles of age – seventy years of it – and an indistinct suggestion of Asiatic ancestry. But his eyes burned with determination and ferocity, which had often been felt by those who stood in the way of what must be.

“Your Majesty,” he began, addressing the far younger sovereign who sat across from him and three other middle-aged men. “The rules of war are only so much fishguts if they get you killed in the end. We face an aggressive foe – as demonstrated over many years. They have built up a fearsome arsenal of war, and they mean to contend with us on the high seas – an eventuality the Empire must never, ever allow to come to pass! We must act, Your Majesty. We must act now. And we must act in a way that assures us total victory over their navy.” Sir Admiral John Arbuthnot Fisher, First Lord of the Admiralty, had leaned across the table increasingly with each point of his argument, so that now his eyes were boring into the very soul of George V, King of England and Ireland, and Emperor of India.

JackieFisherA.jpg
KingGeorgeVa.jpg

George V stared back at Fisher speechlessly, startled not by his proposal, which was familiar enough to him, but at the sheer force of his personality.

A phlegmatic harrumph from one of the others broke the spell. “Your Majesty,” Home Secretary Sir Winston Churchill said. “I must wholeheartedly concur. My experience as Colonial Secretary has led me to believe in the sheer rapacity of the German system. She is expansionist by her very nature, and has expanded at our expense many times in the past. Now that she is building dreadnoughts, we cannot allow her to continue to challenge us. There is nothing that will stop the expansion of the German Empire other than a swift and decisive blow against her navy before it becomes powerful enough to do us great harm. For once it is so enabled, we can be assured of her course of action!” The others at the table – less well spoken – nodded their silent assent.

WinstonChurchillA.jpg

Indeed, King George had heard all this before. In fact, he had argued just such a course of action as Prince of Wales, but his father would not hear of it, no matter how much he disliked Germany. He sighed. “It has come to this, has it not?” He regarded Fisher, and poked a warning finger into the air. “A surprise attack is not something a noble, constitutional government such as ours is supposed to even contemplate. I require two prerequisites. First, you must have a foolproof plan – one that cannot backfire and leave us on the defensive while the world snipes at us. For you know that is what will happen, no matter what. Second, on that very matter, you must devise an explanation that the world community will accept for why we were required to do this. It is nothing short of a pre-emptive war. Hopefully ending not in a war, but in a decisive victory that makes war completely unnecessary. Nay, impossible for the enemy to carry out!”

He leveled his glare first at the overeager Fisher, then at the squirrelly and inconsistent young Churchill, who was, at 36 years of age, a full decade the King’s junior. “Mark my words, Gentlemen!” A moment of silence passed. “But, God help me, Make It So. If it takes you five years, I shall wish it done.”

Last edited:
The Brits only feel threathen when their navy supremacy is being challenge. That's one reason for them going to war, not for land but just to destroy the Prussian's navy.

Mmm, it's only one window onto the future troubles, and there are sure to be others, but this was has to be troubling enough of its own accord. I take it Britain is also expanding its navy? Five years - a deadline, in the most technical sense of the word?

prussiablue said:
The Brits only feel threathen when their navy supremacy is being challenge. That's one reason for them going to war, not for land but just to destroy the Prussian's navy.
Indeed, and naturally, anything that threatens to take away their supremacy must eventually be used against them... else why build it? A certain inexorable logic. Poor Prussia!

This recalls a memory of KronPrinz Friedrich Wilhelm, expressing hope to his wife that Britain wouldn't decide to come "civilize" the Prussians! :rolleyes:

stnylan said:
Mmm, it's only one window onto the future troubles, and there are sure to be others, but this was has to be troubling enough of its own accord. I take it Britain is also expanding its navy? Five years - a deadline, in the most technical sense of the word?
Whether by sheer insight, or by familiarity with how I craft my AAR, you have captured the plain as well as the hidden purpose of this scene -- it is not necessarily the next major thing that will happen... Just foreshadowing of a looming shadow upon the German Empire!

Thanks guys!

Rensslaer

I make exceptions when the British are involved. They are supposed to scuttle their fleet and strike their flag when the Dutch Navy comes sailing up the Thames :p

Though, in truth, attacking Prussia is the only reasonable thing to do, because for all the talk, building dreadnoughts really is only needed against Britain.

Avernite said:
Though, in truth, attacking Prussia is the only reasonable thing to do, because for all the talk, building dreadnoughts really is only needed against Britain.
Well... The US and Russia still have some fleet elements. In fact, the USA has quite an impressive fleet by this time. Fortunately, things are going okay with the USA. Russia is another matter, but Russia's navy has been beaten before (at some cost).

Realistically, two dreadnoughts a modern fleet does not make! Working on it, though... and that is what worries Britain.

Rensslaer

Rensslaer: ..Realistically, two dreadnoughts a modern fleet does not make! Working on it, though... and that is what worries Britain.

two built, but how many in the queue? ? ? it should be at least 50! ! :rofl: :rofl: better if a hundred! ! :D

splendid update! ! :cool:

Gasp

Well, I've finally managed to make it up to the current post. Wow. What a great read! Rens, I think you should seriously think about a career as an author (after all, look at the success of other alternate history writers like Turtledove (WorldWar) and Eric Flint (the fantastic 1832 series).

I do have one urgent request, though.... My unit will be deploying (ahem "overseas") in August. Please, please, PLEASE complete this story before then!

Respecfully,

Von Lippe

• 1Love
Reactions:
Rensslaer said:
Realistically, two dreadnoughts a modern fleet does not make! Working on it, though... and that is what worries Britain.

Rensslaer

Coupled with THE greatest army it does make a threat, though. 2 dreadnoughts can be pretty annoying for any fleet, making it possibly miss a bunch of transports sending in that army.

So the two largest Empires in the world are heading towards a final confrontation. Looks like a big finish is brewing for this AAR (or are you playing with the unliited-time mod?). Fantastic!

Von Lippe said:
Well, I've finally managed to make it up to the current post. Wow. What a great read! Rens, I think you should seriously think about a career as an author (after all, look at the success of other alternate history writers like Turtledove (WorldWar) and Eric Flint (the fantastic 1832 series).

I do have one urgent request, though.... My unit will be deploying (ahem "overseas") in August. Please, please, PLEASE complete this story before then!

Respecfully,

Von Lippe
Thank you, von Lippe! Your kindness warms my heart! I would really like to write professionally. In fact, once I finish this, I'll be starting on a historical novel set in the 1930s which I mean to publish. Plus, if I find the right agent, I can presumably shop other ideas around. Maybe even some repackaging of the Fire Warms concept!

I've not heard of Eric Flint, but perhaps I'll have to look him up.

As for my schedule, I am hoping to finish the next war by the first week of May, and from there to have the rest finished by June. So you'll be okay! :D

Any word on where you'll be going? This is Alhazen's kind of "overseas", I'm imagining. What do you do, and which unit? More power to you! And keep safe!

Ghostwriter... Money, my friend! Must conserve money. ;)

Avernite -- Yes, I've been running with an inferior fleet for some time, and can make do. I'd still rather have superiority! :D

Thank you, Angryclown! Yes, I'm intending to finish in 1920 and add an epilogue. Victoria really isn't built to faithfully represent post-1930s stuff. And from there, who knows?

Thanks everybody for your faithful readership and support! I will be posting the latest installment (sort of a mirror image of our last one) shortly!

Rensslaer

“Reports from Zhanjiang, Your Majesty, indicate massive numbers of refugees fleeing the fighting in China.” Colonial Secretary Zschau Paachow was a midsize, elderly man with a few wisps of salt-and-pepper hair combed over an otherwise bald, yellowish scalp. His eyeglasses flashed in the light as he spoke in a clipped, high-pitched manner. His Chinese accent no longer caused any trouble in decipherment for most of the assembled cabinet members. “We are providing humanitarian support, as best we can, but the authorities tell me that it is only a matter of time before they must close the border and refuse entry.”

Paachow stopped, but Kaiser Waldemar was not satisfied. “And what happens, then?” His tone contained a frustrated incredulity, indicating he considered his question an obvious one, and was shocked it had not seemed so to his Colonial Secretary.

Indeed, the question did catch the oriental man off guard, and he searched for an appropriate answer. “Ahh… Well, they will surely settle in tents outside the border. But there will be no support or food…”

“Then we shall ensure there is food brought to them,” Waldemar insisted, firmly. “Geigitz,” he addressed his Interior Minister. “Please see to it that we collect what surplus foodstocks we have, and ship them to Zhanjiang as soon as possible.”

“At once, Your Majesty.”

ss798.jpg

Relieved to see that matter settled, Paachow continued. “Since the deaths of the Chinese Emperor and Dowager Empress, the Emperor’s inept son has assumed the Regency in place of the heir – a young boy of about two.” Paaachow took note of the Kaiser’s raised eyebrow, but he went on. “Their position – that of the Prince and the new Emperor – is entirely untenable, I’m afraid. Besides the several warlords who have taken to arms, many democratic revolutionaries have declared the disbandment of the Imperial structure. A leader named Sun Yat-Sen, who was traveling in America, has proclaimed the Chinese Republic.”

BrownPalace.jpg

The Brown Palace Hotel, in Denver, Colorado**

“Well,” Waldemar said. “This may yet be a very positive thing. Reuben,” he turned his attention to War Minister Reuben von Riedesel. “What is the situation with the Russian invasion threat?”

ss800.jpg

“…and is there any possibility the mass revolts in Persia could be related?” Due concern was evident in his expression, but there was no sign of excitement or anxiety.

ss797.jpg

Rather than answering, Riedesel looked to the Foreign Minister, Anders Asche.

“Actually, Your Majesty,” Asche said. “Ambassador Leptev came to see me just this morning. He assures me that the buildup of troops is not directed against Germany. He said that they will soon begin moving to the east, in order to maintain security in the interior of Russia. Further, he asked permission for Foreign Minister Krivalkev to visit Berlin to open negotiations for a non-aggression pact between us. He even indicated that Tsar Nicholas would like to make a state visit at some point this winter.”

Waldemar looked truly startled, as did most of the assembled men around the table. “Indeed,” he finally said. “Well, I think we can count on the fact that Nicholas’ plans are something other than what they say they are, whether his designs are to the east or the west.” He pursed his lips, skeptically.

“I believe, to some degree, you must be correct, Your Majesty,” Asche confirmed. “The Russians can rarely be trusted to tell the truth about anything. But it is my conviction that Leptev’s assurances are at least partly sincere. This would be uncharacteristically underhanded, even for them to make an offer of a peace treaty whilst holding a sword behind their back.”

“What could they be up to, then?”

“Well, I suspect that they may be mounting a final move against the few remnants of independent central Asia. This whole matter of tensions in central asia is pushing those countries toward us. The Shah of Afghanistan sent an emissary last week, and we are speaking with him.”

ss815.jpg

Kaiser Waldemar seemed impressed. “We would be well to become friendly with them so that they can support us if we need them. But we must be careful not to over-commit ourselves.”

“Of course, Your Majesty. Now, our worry -- more concerning -- is that the Russians may intend to play their hand in China, and influence the course of the revolution there.”

“Well, we must remain vigilant against any such intervention of that sort. If it’s central Asia, I’m not so concerned, so long as we hold Persia,” Wally indicated.

ss805.jpg

Riedesel spoke up. “Your Majesty, until the threat is past for certain, I will maintain a good-sized military force in the east. However…” He looked again at Asche. “We would like to raise an issue for consideration. A matter of long-term planning.”

Kaiser Waldemar appeared to be intrigued. “Go on.”

It was Asche who led off. “Your Majesty, I… You, like us, sense that there is a Great War coming.”

Wally fixed him with a wary look, but at length nodded his head in acknowledgment. “Yes. I know that it must come. As much as I would wish to avoid it.” The twenty-six year old Kaiser acquired a resigned cast, looking suddenly much older.

“The British, in particular, have remained cold and resentful toward us. They have never allowed relations to improve, even since your accession to power. Now that George the Fifth has taken the throne, I fear we have an even greater likelihood that they will take aggressive action to end our preeminence.”

Waldemar nodded agreement once more. “They see every move we make as a threat, whether it’s meant as one or not! And, while I’m sure Persia must have set them on edge, we all know that we had good reasons to take action. And that is the only military operation we have undertaken over the past decade! How can they so convince themselves that we are the warmongers?”

The ministers all shook their heads. Asche continued to build his argument. “You also know that France will likely combine against us, should Britain go to war. And, despite the overtures made by Russia today, who knows where they might be in the not-too-distant future. Presuming, of course, they do not mean to war with us this year.”

“Fair enough,” Waldemar said. “Even with our current allies, we would be hard pressed to hold our own on three fronts against three great powers.” He raised his hand in a gesture of frustration. “But the Americans even now will not ally with us. Perhaps because they see what’s coming.”

“The alternative…” Asche said, “is to pre-empt the war. We can take on France now, defeat them, and perhaps even turn them to our side in preparation for the coming conflict!” His eyes burned with determination. Asche was certain this was the plan that would save them.

Now Waldemar openly displayed consternation. “You’re mad!” That stung Asche, but he had anticipated this, and recovered quickly. “If we attack France, Britain will recognize it as the first move against them. They will join against us. Besides, it would prove all their worst fears of us. And, frankly, we would – become – the monster we’ve been saying we aren’t!”

“But, Your Majesty,” Asche countered with confidence. “We are seriously threatened by a coalition which is determined to see us as the enemy no matter what overtures we make. This is a pre-emptive war, no less than our move against Persia was a necessary check against Russia.”

“I cannot countenance this,” insisted Waldemar.

“This is the only way,” Asche persisted. “We cannot win a war against the Royal Navy… Not yet. And any move against France would be risky and far more costly if our options to invade by sea are denied to us. The French have no navy with which to contend, but the British would be there if we were to allow them to ally against us.”

“But they will ally against us the moment we take aggressive action against France!” Waldemar was getting angry. This was folly!

“Yes, Your Majesty, if we were the aggressor…” Asche confirmed. A clever smile spread across his face. “But we have devised a plan that will turn the French alliance system to our advantage…”

Kaiser Waldemar glowered at Asche and pinched up his face, knowing he would not like what he was about to hear… But knowing also that he must hear.

** Long ago, I promised you a photo from my new office window. As I can't find my camera right now (more hands than mine live in my house!) I haven't been able to do anything. But this hotel -- the Brown Palace -- is right outside my office window. It's made of red sandstone, and is quite impressive as Victorian architecture goes. Still one of the central and most prestigious sites in Denver! It was from the lobby of this hotel that Sun Yat-Sen proclaimed from exile the establishment of the Chinese Republic!

Ah, entangling alliances again...

Nice view, Renss. All I can see is the USA Today building (hooray for McNews) and a major highway intersection.

Vann

Rensslaer said:
I've not heard of Eric Flint, but perhaps I'll have to look him up......

Any word on where you'll be going? This is Alhazen's kind of "overseas", I'm imagining. What do you do, and which unit? More power to you! And keep safe!
Rensslaer

Eric Flint and David Weber are the two "hottest" writers of sci-fi to come along in the last ten years. One correction: it's "1632" not "1832" (my whoopsie). They write great military / political sci-fi and good fantasy stuff too.

I am a Navy Reservist (21 years) in an "Embarked Security" unit. We will be deploying to the Persian Gulf area (can't get more specific)

Von Lippe

Asche trying to pull a Bismarck? Ooh! :D

And Wally has a point, offcourse. But those Brits have it coming, dammit! They need to be pummeled. Ceylon was OURS! :p

So your position ends up being very similar to historic Germany's in the early 20th century, faced with fears of encirclement with a few important differences. One, Britain is much more hostile in this TL, having a grudge against Germany rather than just trying to maintain the balance on the continent. Two, Prussia seems to be sorely lacking in the ally department whereas Germany could call on a several countries (with varying degrees of usefullness) to aid them against the Entente. Third, Prussia has a much larger colonial commitment that it must protect, drawing off resources at the expense of the continent. Though it is possible that your Prussia is stronger than Germany, I'm not sure from this vantage point. All in all I think we're in for one heckuva war. I'm still hoping you can entice the US into at least a defensive alliance though this probably isn't likely.

So let's see what sneaky plan Asche has up his sleeve and if Waldemar will go for it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am pleased to see you touch on the alliance system as I was thinking the very same. You have done well to establish all the corners in which Prussia must fight at some point soon, and as each was listed, I quickly thought that allied or not, they would all take the initiative to lay Prussia low at long last. However, I think you can fight them, and win, if only the US decides not to get involved on the allied side. As VILenin stated above - rather like the RL situation in many ways.