• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
stnylan said:
Our dear Regent has done so much in life, built up, that I feel he has one last role to play, and that role is his death. Will that final journey be the last echo of a bygone age, or will it be the explosion heralding the new? Will news of his passing be a shot that is heard around the world, or just the cause for page-long obituaries.
Thank you, that was excactly my point. He has accomplished so much he can not possibly accomplish more. And if he lives any longer you clearly are going to write more for him to accomplish. I just dont see it being realistic. The only thing left is his death and this could symbolize a new generation. We are reaching (if we have not already?) the 20th century. A young kaiser, and all the old ministers are dead or dieing. Let Renns death be symbolic for the dawn of a new age, both in germany and the world! :)

Iron_Skull said:
Thank you, that was excactly my point. He has accomplished so much he can not possibly accomplish more. And if he lives any longer you clearly are going to write more for him to accomplish. I just dont see it being realistic. The only thing left is his death and this could symbolize a new generation. We are reaching (if we have not already?) the 20th century. A young kaiser, and all the old ministers are dead or dieing. Let Renns death be symbolic for the dawn of a new age, both in germany and the world! :)
Indeed, I know the date and time of Rensselaer's passing. And I should say that it is not in the real near future. But he does remain relatively quiet for the next several years.

He does have one final act of significance to perform, from his deathbed. And you will see that scene a ways down the road.

Kaiser Waldemar has shown himself capable, he does already have a new generation of energetic leaders at his side. It should be interesting fleshing out all these new people, with Rensselaer in the background as a sort of retired Bismarckian figure.

I think Stnylan had it right -- a page long eulogy when he passes, but not earth-shattering consequences.

Thanks all! I'm busy with the AARLand Choice Awards right now, so I'll try to post the next Fire Warms update later tonight. Might be kind of late tonight, actually, but I will really try.

Rensslaer

Around the World in 80 Sectons

Just a few notes on things going on around the world outside of Prussia’s escapades! Apologies for the rough nature of some of the graphics!

The British, after a series of defeats and loss of territory in South Africa, finally got serious about winning the Boer War. Kapitan Freya, of the SMS KronPrinz Wilhelm, was in transit between ports when he encountered a remarkable fleet of British naval vessels, 71 ships in size! The fleet primarily consisted of transports.

ss583.jpg

Nevermind that the AI rarely loads more than 1 division for every 5 transports… Which may explain why the Boers continued to do remarkably well! :p

The Transvaal advanced north along the rift valley, capturing many British colonial provinces. And the Oranje Free State actually annexed Natal. But both countries, in 1902, fell to the war exhaustion “death of a thousand cuts” as their economies slowed, and eventually stopped moving. ("Subsidize them!")

BoerMontage.jpg

The Boer War finally came to an end with a substantial British victory (if it can be called such after 3 bloody years!) in September of 1902.

Meanwhile, the Americans having ended one war in the summer of 1900, ended up in another in short order. In July 1901 they again declared war on Mexico for the nth time (I’ve lost count – these wars are almost as regular as the Olympics!)

In December of that year, after it became apparent that Mexico was losing badly, Costa Rica (!) convinced Uruguay (?!?) to join with it on Mexico’s side. The Americans were greatly moved… in the direction of the Mexican capital. In March, 1902, Nicaragua lost grasp of its senses, too, and joined on the side that was losing still worse!

ss682.jpg

In June of 1902, Mexico was almost entirely occupied by United States forces. They surrendered, losing all of their California provinces, and a good deal of northern Mexico.

ss696.jpg

In April of 1903, Germany finally opened the Panama Canal, which was named in honor of KronPrinz Friedrich Wilhelm, who had died in the venture to secure the territory in the first place. This canal positively impacted Prussia’s fortunes around the world, her strategic ability to move ships and transport men and supplies, and was also of great benefit to the world economy as a whole, for all those countries which were not at war with Germany…

ss715.jpg

…which, in 1902 and 1905, included two new nations, formed to color the face of the globe.

NewNats.jpg

And, importantly, in February of 1903 Kaiser Waldemar chartered a Bank Inspection Board to monitor financial transactions. Not only did this assist in avoiding further stock market crashes (there had been several mostly minor crashes over the past few decades), but it helped to lower Prussia’s prime lending rate to 10%.

Seems like ages we last got such an update about the game itself. Because of the immersion in those many epsidodes about the rise of Waldemar this suddenly takes some cerebral-processing adjustment :rolleyes:
Too bad the Boers eventually (but as expected) lost. The Dutch speaking readers luckily can take solace in the regentship of a Dutchman over Germany for a short while :cool:

Rensslaer said:
Just a In December of that year, after it became apparent that Mexico was losing badly, Costa Rica (!) convinced Uruguay (?!?) to join with it on Mexico’s side. The Americans were greatly moved… in the direction of the Mexican capital.
:rofl:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
So that's what has been pre-occupying the rest of the world these last couple of years! ;)

So, when does Wally make his return to Princeton, but this time as Kaiser, and rub Wilson's face in it? (I know, I know, I'm mean, but what can I say, it's the little things in life that get me through the day, eh? :D )

Draco Rexus said:
So that's what has been pre-occupying the rest of the world these last couple of years! ;)

So, when does Wally make his return to Princeton, but this time as Kaiser, and rub Wilson's face in it? (I know, I know, I'm mean, but what can I say, it's the little things in life that get me through the day, eh? :D )
I almost wonder...

The Kaiser visiting the USA, and receiving an honorary degree from the President of Princeton (which Wilson would be by this time) to make up for the one he never had time to earn! :rofl:

Might be fun. Alas, I don't think it fits into the scheme of the AAR.

Renss

p.s. Floris, glad you enjoyed that little quip about the Uruguayans! ;)

Sounds like quite a realistic Boer war really!

excellent report on those events! ! :D

oh, what does the top tier of navies look like? tia :cool:

fj44 said:
Rennslaer, I haven't been able to spare time to read this fine tale of yours for the past 2 weeks of so. How far back do I need to go? :p
Ho boy! :D

Well, you picked the WRONG 2 weeks to be gone! I've posted about 15 updates in the last 2 weeks.

And that would take you back about... 5 pages? 6? :rolleyes:

Welcome back! Great to have you and your great comments!

Rensslaer

Don't think of it as the wrong two weeks fj44. Think of it has the right two weeks since now you will be to read the entire sequence at one wondrously wonderful sitting. A perfect occupation for an idle mind. ;)

Maximilliano said:
Just out of curiosity are those Italian states all republics?
I think so... I'm pretty sure I'd made everyone who was eligble into states/republics. I was frustrated that I never got anyone outside of mainland Europe (and maybe the Med?) to become states. But I'm pretty sure everything in Europe was part of Prussia/Germany proper.

Rensslaer

p.s. Thanks, Stnylan! :D

Opening that canal will be a great assistant in the surely coming wars. Sure as hell better be after the attempts made to gain the territory.

FlorisDeVijfde said:
Seems like ages we last got such an update about the game itself. Because of the immersion in those many epsidodes about the rise of Waldemar this suddenly takes some cerebral-processing adjustment :rolleyes:
Indeed! And I find also that it's been a week since I've left general feedback!!! Seems like not that long ago, except when you consider that we've gone through 4 pages in those 7 days!

So... back with our miniseries... which started as a planned 11 updates and doubled in size to 21!!! :rolleyes: That was a lot of fun, though!

Draco Rexus said:
Renss, you have truly created a air of tension that sees no relief without bloodshed and mayhem.
Thank you! I take that as a very high compliment, as that was exactly what I was trying to convey -- the air of uncertainty and impending doom!

Rensslaer said:
“They will fight for their country, or they will fight for their general. But they will not fight their country for their general.”
I'm very glad so many of you liked this line.

stnylan said:
I too think that von Rediesal might be playing his own game here. The phrasing "Would you please bring the same thing you brought when Kleiber was here last" does sound slightly ominous. Innocuous, but at the same time could be a code for something disadvantageous to von Grolitz's health.
You are always so insightful! And so I am glad you were the first to mention this. So Riedesel calls his guards, Longanecker pre-empts them, and then Riedesel's guards almost screw everything up! Unintentional mass confusion. Hope it came across believably. Coz sensed this, also, as I'm sure did others. Riedesel was trying to feel out the other side via von Grolitz in order to help unravel the plot.

KPTB, how about the whole resolution of the conflict? Did it seem realistic? I've tried to create complicated plots like this before, but this is the first I've finished!

Prussiablue & Avernite, yes, Bulow and Holstein were in the uncomfortable position of being both, desperate AND being subject to Ludendorff's control of events. Not good!

FlorisdeVijfde - Yeah, Albrecht, as it turns out, was barely even standing :D

Vann the Red - Thank you very much! I feel like a slave to my posting schedule sometimes, too! And I'm glad you picked up on the vague mention of the stranger Longanecker chose to bring with him, who of course turned out to be Col. Breiding...

I was playing kind of loose with the loyalty of the LifeGuards, and I hope I pulled it off. Their loyalty would be to the crowned heir, and one might presume that it would go to the most obvious heir. But when things got complicated (divided interests and loyalties) some went one way, others went the other. Breiding was one of those who started on the conservatives' side, but when it became clear what was going on he decided to switch. As I'm sure many of the LifeGuards would have. Confusion reigned pretty heavy in the command structure, as no one was quite sure who was on whose side, and even what sides were really aiming to do!

VILenin - I'm assuming that, like most college students of the time, Elizabeth would have been learning both Latin and the dominant European foreign language as a matter of course. Most upper crust students (particularly male) would also learn one or two other languages. Since in OUR (RL) timeline, the languages would be Latin and French, I assume the dominant languages most everybody would learn would be Latin and German in THIS timeline.

Draco Rexus said:
You just gotta love an escape by zeppelin! That's just awesome!
Thank you! I rather enjoyed that.

Now... Back up to the present day, so to speak!

Floris, I'm glad you enjoyed the humor over Costa Rica and Uruguay coming to the rescue of Mexico!

Avernite, you are correct -- both Transvaal and the Oranje Frei Stadt remain frei. Aber kleiner!

Draco, yes you were correct -- the Boer War and Spanish American War and Mexican War were good excuses for those countries to be staying out of badboy wars. Now, who's to say?! :rolleyes:

Ghostwriter - Well, the Russian and French navies have been more or less trashed by the Prussians. Largest navies now (which aren't alot!) would be Germany, the USA and Britain, in reverse order, I suspect. Not sure who else would even be able to "field" a major naval force. I'm sure anything Spain had went away at the hands of the USN. I think it's just the big 3 now.

FJ44 welcome back! Iron Skull, Peter Veenstra, Maximiliano, and Rocketman -- thank you all very much for your readership and comments!

Renss

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

In August of 1903, Kaiser Waldemar gave his first orders for military action. It was in response to indirect threats from Russia against a sphere of influence that had been thoroughly established as German – the Persian Gulf.

ss719.jpg

During the 1890s, Russia had fought two wars with Persia, capturing a good deal of territory. In August of 1903, Russia annexed nearby Khiva, which broadcast their intentions of pursuing a coordinated strategy against central Asia. Intelligence sources from within Russia indicated that Russian long-term strategy was to capture all of Persia, and with it to contest with Prussia for control of the Middle East. Key to the Russian plan was capture the Persian Gulf coast, which was rich in oil. Waldemar determined that it was critical for Germany to pre-empt this Russian operation.

ss721.jpg

Three main forces were dispatched. One was a general advance and occupation force which would operate along the coast. However, also being sent were the Magdeburg Cavalry, under General Georgi Zepernik, and the 1st Cuirassiers, under General Klaud Stettin. War was declared on 15 November, 1903.

ss725.jpg

Ah, a different player in the Great Game. Hope you can thwart the Bear's attempt to gain the warm water ports she has always so craved.

Vann

Rensslaer said:
KPTB, how about the whole resolution of the conflict? Did it seem realistic? I've tried to create complicated plots like this before, but this is the first I've finished!

Renss

Renss, I like the resolution a lot. It was good to see some people captured (von Grolitz), some who got away (Ludendorff) and some about whom we simply do not know (Bulow). This made it feel like a real world ending rather than a Hollywood ending. In addition, I am sure there are many more little "ants" that scurried off into the dark after their nest was destroyed, i.e. the plot was uncovered and foiled.

You might have put in another point of view with a little story from a soldier in Ludendorff's command that is confused about the change in orders and questions his superiors. This would have been a good point to introduce another character to the story. Or maybe a story about a co-conspiritor (spelling???) who was on the fringes of the plot and then quietly disappeared and who will be a source of further trouble.

Overall, I think this was the best part of the story so far.

Sincerely

Kai

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm, Wally is going the way of his ancestors, it seems :(

He was such a nice chap... ;)