• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Long is good - complicated is better! ;) Congratulations on the landmark.

All right... I'm anxious to get this last bit out, too. And so I will post the first part, even though I am not completely done writing the very complicated final scene.

I'll be curious to see what comments come over the next 4-5 hours before I can post the rest.

This is all "Part 15", though I will label them 15A and 15B to distinguish.

Thanks all! Here we go after a last typo-pass!

Rensslaer

A Succession of Questions (Concluded - Part 15A)

“… but I don’t understand why General Ludendorff is moving on Berlin,” General Reuben von Riedesel asked of the man standing near him. “I ordered him to the Altmark just two days ago, at the instruction of Minister von Moltke. And I am somewhat put out to find that Ludendorff apparently never made such a move.” Apparently comfortable and unconcerned, Riedesel poured a reddish liquid from a decanter into one of two glasses. “Drink?”

“I don’t mind if I do, General.” The shorter man advanced and reached for the glass. The voice, and the color of the uniform, was unmistakably Inspector General Adar von Grolitz, whose chain of office gleamed gold around his collar. “Von Moltke has been having some difficulty getting messages out, because of sabotage to the phone lines near his command. He dispatched me to provide orders. Probably shortly after he spoke to you. I was first to tell Ludendorff to go restore order in Berlin, and I did so yesterday before he could respond to your orders. Meanwhile, he requires you to move what forces you can toward the Altmark, so that you can put down the rabble-rousers there.”

Riedesel nodded. “That would explain why I have not heard from Moltke. And the disposition of forces does make sense. Ludendorff is far better equipped and experienced to handle the larger job in Berlin. How bad has it gone, there?” Riedesel speared his gaze in Grolitz’ direction, searching his eyes.

Grolitz turned toward the window, forcing Longanecker to have to duck to avoid being seen. It was cold outside, and he wished he could figure out what was going on, so they could take some sort of action. Surely, Riedesel was not cooperating with this evil man.

“The KronPrinz,” Grolitz’ said. His voice came through the two-inch gap between the window and its frame, amplified now that he was approaching and facing the window. “He is losing control of the situation. I fear that he will not survive if the crowds reach him before Ludendorff arrives.”

“Well, General,” Riedesel addressed the Inspector General. “If you will wait a moment, I will give the orders you request.” Grolitz bowed, slightly, giving permission, as Riedesel picked up the receiver on his phone. Leaning his head back to stare at the ceiling, Riedesel waited for his secretary to pick up. “Danner,” he said. “Connect me to General Spree. And… I have a guest, and we would like some refreshments. Would you please bring the same thing you brought when Kleiber was here last?” He nodded, as the person on the other end obeyed his orders. After a while, he continued, “General, Reuben. Ready your men to begin moving toward Posen as soon as possible. I will expect you to let me know when you are ready.” He listened, then grunted a goodbye when they were done.

That tore it…. That was the tipoff Longanecker had been waiting for. Perhaps Riedesel had turned, but it didn’t seem like him. Nevertheless, some confusion would be necessary for them to take over the office. He beckoned one of his men over, and whispered a plan. Then, as the one left, he called Colonel Skiedweza over, issuing separate orders to him and his men. He told Korenyi to remain and keep watch while they carried out their separate missions. The others scattered, and Joachim returned to the window to listen, testing a barrel he had placed beneath the window so that he could get up there, or climb in when the situation required.

“What of these rumors,” Riedesel was saying, “about a power struggle in Berlin? Prinz Albrecht trying to take over?”

“That is part of the lie told by those who are spreading the trouble,” Grolitz said. “They are trying to make it sound as if the government is unstable, so that people will riot.”

A knock at the door drew both mens’ attention. “Come!” Riedesel called, a little too loudly and quickly.

When the door swung open, it was a colonel in a white cavalry outfit – the uniform of the Lifeguards. He entered, and carefully closed the door behind him.

“Stepan?” Von Grolitz knew who he was… just not why he was here.

I almost suspect that Rediesal is doing his own work to snuff out what seems a conspiracy. That might be what causes the confusion on both Longanecker's and Grolitz's part. Now let's see part B.

Oh, and I should add - Congrats on reaching such a milestone. Each and every page is very much worth the read!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I too think that von Rediesal might be playing his own game here. The phrasing "Would you please bring the same thing you brought when Kleiber was here last" does sound slightly ominous. Innocuous, but at the same time could be a code for something disadvantageous to von Grolitz's health. Or it cpuld be completely innocent, and because of Longanecker we may never know.

Is it me or does Grolitz sound too pat, too sure of himself?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ay dios mio! seperating the finale of this glorious power struggle into two parts? thats not quite fair. your loyal readers demand 15b!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree, Grolitz WAS just a little to sure of himself, and that's about to come back and bite him... painfully!

Seriously chaotic, people saying this, others saying that, and everything is unstable :D

now get 15B in! ;)

Looking for a resolution...

... look no further than 15E with a small cliffhanger to 15E.2

• 1Haha
Reactions:
FlorisDeVijfde said:
Ah, finally the last of the 15 episodes, now we'll know how.... :eek: He split it! He split the last episode! Damn you, you....episode-splitter!
:rofl:

I grossly apologize! I truly meant to have all this up yesterday afternoon.

But I have an excuse!!! :rolleyes:

My wife picked me up early last night. And was too impatient to wait for me to finish. Then she tells me she parked about 2 blocks away, and I'm carrying my heavy laptop and a box. So she leads me about 1.5 blocks down the street to a five-point intersection, then points to where she parked the car... about 1.5 blocks from where we were... and about 3/4 of a block from where we started!!! :rofl: Downtown Denver can be confusing... Anyway...

Then we went to a university lecture -- Lech Walesa was speaking in Denver, and we got to go! What a treat! What a guy! Humble, good sense of humor, insightful in some ways, but just a regular guy in others. Later I'll try to tell you some of the funny things he said. Like that the Polish people weren't communists. They were like radishes... red on the outside, but... ;)

Anyway, I got home with barely enough time to change clothes and head off to my second job (a 12-hour graveyard shift with no sleep...). So I never had the chance to put in the final couple sentences of 15B.

But fear not!!! I have time now, and within about 15 minutes you should have 15B!

And what's more... I wasn't tired last night. I was wired. So I was able to get the next scene (a Dr. Herz wrapup) mostly finished. Watch for that one tomorrow or Monday.

All right... The 15 minutes starts... ... ... Mark!

Renss

A Succession of Questions (Concluded, Part 15B)

“Stepan?” Von Grolitz knew who he was… just not why he was here.

“General,” Colonel Breiding said, bowing to one, then the other. “General.”

His brief look of surprise or concern was wiped from von Grolitz’ face in an instant. “It is good to see you,” he nodded with a smile. “Ahh… How were you allowed in? I was introduced when I arrived.”

The colonel appeared surprised for a moment. “There was no one there…”

General Riedesel answered for him. “I’m sure he is looking for the torte I requested.” Everyone seemed roughly satisfied by his logic.

“I have been given some orders to provide to you, General.” He stepped casually closer to them – particularly to Grolitz, who eyed him warily and with a look of confusion.

“Who, specifically, gave you these orders, Colonel?” Grolitz asked. “And what were they?”

“They are,” began Breiding, “that General Spree is to march to the southwest, to be ready if the French take any action.” He had seemingly been trying to slip behind Grolitz, but the other man was fully on alert now.

Turning to face the new arrival as he rounded through the office, Grolitz asked again, with emphasis, “Who gave the order?!” Riedesel was quietly slipping toward his desk as Breiding’s movements slowed.

“Well, Chancellor Bülow, himself, Adar… Of course.” Breiding had stopped moving, realizing his acquaintance wholly doubted his sincerity.

A loud bump at the door to the office admitted a bustle of soldiers, led by Colonel Krysz Skiedweza. They immediately took stock of their surroundings, and ran forward, weapons ready. Von Grolitz, his full attention on Breiding, was stunned enough not to notice either Breiding taking the sidearm from Grolitz’ holster, or Riedesel reaching into his desk.

“Don’t move, General!” Skiedweza shouted, and Riedesel stayed his hand midway through pulling a revolver out of his drawer. He remained frozen, while Grolitz held his unspilled drink, looking around in flushed amazement at the three men – four, counting Breiding – who held him at gunpoint.

Longanecker, who had had difficulty lifting the heavy window from its sash, grunted as he finally climbed in. He was only just able to fit through. Taking his own revolver from its holster, he said, “Good work, Krysz. Now…” He surveyed the office.

“Joachim? Whatever…” Riedesel seemed genuinely confused. Perhaps a little hurt? They had been good friends… Then his eyes came to rest on Grolitz, who broadcast nervous anxiety… Realization lit his face. “Joachim! You don’t think I’m working with him do you?” He favored Grolitz with a sneer.

“I really don’t know, old friend… What were you two discussing?”

“Well, I gathered that he was part of a plot, and that he was lying to me. So I called my assistant, and tipped him that he should call the guards…”

Just then, four armed men entered the foyer to the office. Seeing the open door, and the armed men, they shouted and ran forward. No one fired, as everyone but Grolitz was in Prussian Army blue. Who to shoot?!

Seizing his chance, Grolitz tossed his bourbon in Breiding’s eyes, with instant results. He leapt for a window – one that was fully closed – and crashed through the glass and out of sight. Two rounds from service revolvers followed after him, too late.

Longanecker and a couple others moved toward the door, but frantic nervous gestures from Riedesel’s soldiers stopped them in their tracks.

“It’s okay!” shouted the general. “Everyone here is okay, except for that man who just left!”

Immediately, the soldiers dropped their aim and allowed the team to pass, then joined to follow. Longanecker grumbled, “It might be too late, now!”

Outside the headquarters structure, Joachim rounded the corner at a dead run… And nearly ran into a mud-soaked Korenyi, who was braced for the impact. At Adalbert’s feet was the sprawled, muddy, slightly bloodied form of von Grolitz. And around them all stood four more stunned soldiers, with their weapons lying in the snow. “Good heaven,” Longanecker sighed. He looked curiously at Korenyi. “You have saved the day! What happened?”

Al, still somewhat startled, said, “Well, I was holding these guys at gunpoint,” he gestured to the guards he had waylaid. “Because they didn’t believe me that we were here with legitimate authority. Then this guy comes flying out of the window, and bowls right into me! He knocked me completely down, knocked the gun out of my hands, and knocked the breath out of me… But Riedesel shouting curses after him helped convince the guards I wasn’t lying!” He smiled, proudly. “Hey!” he shouted in amazement. “That’s von Grolitz!”

By this time, Riedesel had arrived at a jog from the front of the building. “Ahh, good.”

Von Grolitz fixed him with a nasty stare and a pointing finger. “You knew that I was lying, and you gave a signal to call the guard. How did you know?”

“Because you are no soldier, Grolitz, and you have no idea how to pretend knowledge of the military command structure.” He glared contemptuously at the man. “And,” he turned slightly, as if this was the lesser reason, “because just before you arrived, Minister von Moltke had an attack of conscience, and called me to expose the plot.”

Longanecker’s eyebrow rose. One part of the puzzle solved.

“But,” began Breiding. He was still blinking furiously, and his eyes looked as if he hadn’t slept in days. “I am curious, too. I somehow tipped you off that I had not been dispatched from Berlin. How?”

Von Grolitz’ mood was as cold and wet as his uniform. He gave a sour grimace, and seemed not to want to answer. Then, realizing that all was lost, he saw no sense in keeping it back. “Because I spoke with the Chancellor a bare two hours ago. He was here… or nearby. He said that he and Holstein were on their way to take a tour of some facility, that they wanted me to speak to you while they were there.”

Korenyi birddogged on that comment. “Then if we handle things right, we can catch them when they return!”

“I do not think they intend to return,” Grolitz said, slowly.

“Why not?” Longanecker quizzed.

“Because the automobile was stuffed with papers. Secret papers, I think.” In spite of his precarious situation, he smiled and chuckled at the heartburn it would cause his enemies. “I wonder who they will give them to…”

“Krysz!” Joachim said urgently. “Go telephone Berlin. Have them order all airports to be on the lookout. Train stations, et cetera. Reuben,” he said, turning to Riedesel. “Is there an airport near here?”

“Hmm… No airports, per se…” he began. Then his eyes fixed on something, and he cursed.

Longanecker braced with alertness when he saw the angry expression Riedesel cast at something over Joachim’s shoulder.

“Gott in Himmel!” one of the guards shouted.

“What on Earth is that?” Breiding muttered to himself. He was blinking to clear his eyes, unsure if the splashed bourbon was making him see things.

Joachim turned, and saw a cigar-shaped balloon drift quietly overhead, driven by four whirring propellers sped by puttering reciprocating engines…

zeppelin.jpg

Ah, an excellent conclusion to these intrigues...almost. There are those that got away so we cannot conclude anything just yet. But as I suspected, Riedesel was attemtping to thwart whatever plot was in the works. He seems clueless as to what they truly were, but good on him that he chose the right side at the last minute.

However, those that got away will surely deposit such information to Prussia's enemies which means Wally has little time to rest. I am not totally confident that plots inside the empire are thwarted just yet, but there can be little doubt that plots outside the empire are just getting started.

And I look forward to what you have to say about Walesa. For that, I can forgive not getting the update yesterday. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have to say, this only counts as being concluded if you follow the Joe Storey method of tale-telling, when it becomes mandatory to leave readers stranded after every post! ;)

Holstein etc are fleeing the battlefield, but what about Ludendorff? And what mischief might they yet get up to?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Being able to listen to a lecture by Lech Walesa isn't an excuse, it's a very good reason.

Anyway, glad internal opposition is thwarted. Sad however they chose to go abroad (probably). This is treason. I hope the army of the now inevitable new emperor Waldermar will capture them somewhere in Paris, London or St. Petersburg.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ahh, no. Holstein will be captured in Copenhagen, von Bülow in Paris ;)

Nice conclusion, I suppose. Von Moltke certainly tipped the scales, and I suppose Holstein and v B found out and decided to run away.

You just gotta love an escape by zeppelin! That's just awesome!

Now comes the time to not only hunt those two scumbags down and drag them back to Berlin by their heels, but also let it be known world-wide that Prussia will not take it kindly if any nation provides safe haven to them. That'll make for some international excitement, eh?

As for Lech, that must have been awesome!