• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Incompetent

Euroweenie in Exile
61 Badges
Sep 22, 2003
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
This is my first attempt at an AAR, so I hope it works out. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do this, but I'll probably keep things fairly brief, as I'm not very good at telling stories.

PROLOGUE

2119: World War III has started, and this time even Switzerland can't avoid it. As the first wave of Chinese missiles strike the country, there is a blinding flash of light covering not just the targets, but the whole country. After a few minutes, the glow fades. Spy satellites reveal that the built-up area of the country has diminished, and yet there is no sign of damage in much of the country. Closer inspection reveals a medieval civilisation wedged in between the ruins of a devastated Europe.

1419: The Swiss nation has survived, but the computer program known as "People's Revered President of Helvetia version 1.07" understands that its mission is only half complete. There is only one sure way to prevent wars between countries - make sure that only one country exists.

In this scenario, Helvetia starts with:
- french, german and italian cultures
- cores everywhere
- knowledge of all technology and the whole world
- 1 million ducats
- a few hundred thousand men and maximum fortifications
- a hyper-aggressive AI

Let the conquest commence!

This looks intriguing. (Did I spell that right?) What country will you be playing to watch this super-Switzerland?

:confused: :confused:

I understand that HE will be playing this unnatural Swiss Confedation!!

:confused: :confused:

It should be instresting

Thanks

Joe (Sapphire)

:confused:
He said an AI world conquest attempt, and specifically mentioned a hyper-agressive, AI which wouldn't mean much if he was conquering with Helvetia would it? My impression was that it would be a kind of handsoff game.

This is an awesome idea. I can't wait to see how it turns out. :D

Which patch are you using? The almost-certain Civil Wars once you go over the BB limit in the most recent betas could cripple even such a hyperpowered AI nation (or at least get it stuck permanently re-annexing revolters), since the rebels will be just as strong as its troops. With vanilla 1.08, though, it ought to cut a swath through the world...

What's the AI set to? All countries on its hitlist, 100 warmongerer, and ferocious?

Heck, I'd like the files to try this out myself... :D

Oh, and the supercomputer should be called "HelvNet." ;)

Ho.. I knew it!
All those years of neutralaty were just people botheling up agression.
Let's see it come out then!

Sindai said:
This is an awesome idea. I can't wait to see how it turns out. :D

Which patch are you using? The almost-certain Civil Wars once you go over the BB limit in the most recent betas could cripple even such a hyperpowered AI nation (or at least get it stuck permanently re-annexing revolters), since the rebels will be just as strong as its troops. With vanilla 1.08, though, it ought to cut a swath through the world...

What's the AI set to? All countries on its hitlist, 100 warmongerer, and ferocious?

Heck, I'd like the files to try this out myself... :D

Oh, and the supercomputer should be called "HelvNet." ;)

I'm using patch 1.07. The AI isn't ferocious, because I find it's usually an impediment, and I've removed a few remote countries from the hitlist to stop Switzerland starting wars it can't fight.

Swiss European posessions, 1429:

hel1429.jpg

Switzerland also has 15 provinces outside Europe (colonies and TPs)

Army ~ 200 000 men
Navy ~ 50 ships

Key events:

4 Oct 1419: Helvetia annexes Piemonte, thus gaining a coastline (I put Helvetia in a war with Savoy at the start of the scenario to get things going)

circa 1423: Despite the best efforts of the Swiss, outsiders begin to learn the secrets of their advanced weaponry. Primitive muskets are developed in Strasbourg, inspired by their Swiss allies, and quickly gain popularity all over Germany and Italy. (Gotta love that neighbour bonus!)

Last edited:
Europe in 1450:

hel1450.jpg

Helvetia controls 25 overseas provinces, including 14 in the Caribbean.

Army: ~ 500 000 men
Navy: ~ 70 ships

Key events

7 Feb 1429: After a visit to Bern, Pope Martinus V declares the Swiss confederation to be "a leading force for peace and justice in Christendom" and joins the Swiss alliance. One cardinal later remarks that "ever since his visit to Bern, His Holiness seemed remarkably contemplative, often staring in silence for hours at a time."

15 Dec 1431: The colony of New Bern on the island of Java is the first to be classified as a 'settled province' by the President, granting full citizenship to the natives in the surrounding area.

1431-33: A mostly Italian coalition declares war on the Papal States, ostensibly to ensure a less pro-Swiss successor to Pope Martinus. In the event, Helvetia does not interfere, as the President decides that discord over the Pontiff will ultimately weaken opposition to the Confederation.

1433: The Swiss Navy is used in anger for the first time, as part of a successful campaign against Genoa.

20 Feb 1435: Austria makes the fateful decision of supporting Bavaria in its war against the Swiss. The duchy is reduced to a fraction of its former size.

21 Mar 1441: With the conquest of Genoa, Helvetia finally gains control of overseas trade. The Swiss Stock Exchange soon becomes the world's premier centre of commerce:

hel1442.jpg

14 Feb 1443: Vienna is annexed to Helvetia. Former Arch-duke Ladislas Postumus abdicates as Holy Roman Emperor, but continues to rule his remaining kingdoms from Buda.

1443: Alsace and Mainz begin the accession process to become Cantons of the Confederation.

1449: France and Helvetia are briefly brought into conflict by supporting opposing sides in the intermittent Alsace-Lorraine War. However, neither power is particularly committed and the fighting ends after a few months with Lorraine granting Alsace military access.

I have to agree with an earlier sentiment expressed. This is not only an interesting idea, but I would LOVE to see the specs on how you got the AI to do so well....Makes me want to create a super AI and see if I could somehow defeat it...Well done!

The partition of Denmark, 1451-1456

heldan.jpg

In the 1450s, Denmark found itself at war with much of the Catholic world, including England, Sweden, Poland and of course the Helvetic Confederation. The conflict was long, though this had little to do with the hopelessly outnumbered Danish army. Swiss efforts in particular were hampered by confusing orders from the President, along the lines of "Kill the Danes, but keep the English and Swedes on their toes as well! Don't stay too long in one place or they'll steal your siege."

Nevertheless, by the end of 1456 the Kingdom of Denmark had effectively been dismantled. Copenhagen had been occupied by three different powers in as many years. By the time King Christian made peace with his last enemy, Sweden, his rule did not extend beyond the Sjaelland archipelago, though nominally Bremen still swore fealty. Swiss gains consisted of Greenland, Jutland and part of Norway.

(Why does the AI always do this to Denmark in my games? They only had 11 BB, and England and Helvetia didn't have any common border with Denmark! In case you were wondering, Denmark had exactly its cores in 1451, nothing more or less.)

Last edited:
Europe, 1492:

hel1492.jpg

Major Swiss holdings overseas:

helcarib1492.jpg

helindon1492.jpg

Helvetia has also laid claim to Greenland, parts of the American mainland, islands in the Indian Ocean and Tahiti (COT). Overall about 90 provinces are under Swiss ownership.

Statistics:

Army: 546 000 infantry, 133 000 cavalry, 600 cannon
Navy: 93 warships, 64 transports
BadBoy: 117.6

In 1491, the Swiss earned 4885 ducats and spent 2858. So it looks like the AI is spending within its means, despite its generous initial money supply!

Key events:

1455: Muscovy soundly beats Novgorod, ensuring a strong Russia in the years to come.

1 Jun 1469: A Swiss force of 20 000 men is defeated and destroyed in battles with a slightly larger Danish force outside Copenhagen. This represents the first serious setback for the Swiss army.

Jan 1474: Inexplicably, the remote island of Tahiti becomes the centre of Swiss trade in the Far East. Swiss merchants establish a complete monopoly there, as the President has so far managed to keep the island's location secret.

24 Feb 1474: Helvetia declares war on France, and sends separate declarations of war to French allies Scotland and Albania to make its intentions absolutely clear. Albania is soon annexed, and Edinburgh is seized by England before the Swiss can reach it, but the war in France lasts five years.

Faced with a far better-equipped foe, the French abandon everything east of the Seine and muster a force of about 50 000 near Orleans. At first this force is shown little respect by the Swiss, but after losing several divisions in a futile attempt to dislodge it, the Swiss take a new approach to the French army, sweeping round it to take the rest of the country while leaving a small force to shadow its movements. Thinking the Swiss have retreated, the French army crosses the Seine and retakes Paris, but soon finds its gains erased by the shadowing force. As a result of several ill-advised attempts to take on the Swiss troops still east of the Seine, the army is reduced to less than a tenth its original strength, and the French are able to carry out no more than guerilla activities until the end of the war.

In the treaty of 1479, France was forced to cede 4 provinces to the Swiss - a merciful outcome, given France's total defeat in the war.

1479,1483: No longer under the protection of the Confederation, the Swiss vassals of Alsace and Mainz are annexed by Burgundy, a duchy eager to show that it should still be taken seriously.

(I'm a bit worried about Denmark: Switzerland's declared war on them several times now, but apart from the Partition and the war of 1469, they've failed to send any troops to Copenhagen and the war's ended in a White Peace. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve the AI to stop this?)

Last edited:
Great stuff! As for your little problem, perhaps the danish navy is the problem? I think they have a navy in the sund, which prohibits the swiss from going to sjaelland...

Armfeldt said:
Great stuff! As for your little problem, perhaps the danish navy is the problem? I think they have a navy in the sund, which prohibits the swiss from going to sjaelland...

No, the Swiss are quite good at blockading Copenhagen and trapping the Danish navy. The problem is that Helvetia needs to either transport an army to the area, or train one in Jutland, but it won't. Thanks to Sjaelland's very high tax value, it's becoming a bit of an obsession for the AI. I can't really justify taking DAN off the kill list, because Switzerland should have no trouble conquering it. They were able to ship troops halfway around the world to conquer Makassar, so why can't they send them from Bremen to Sjaelland?

Hmm... I discovered using richelieu that Helvetia is extremely reluctant to allow their main fleet to leave Genoa, ordering it straight back there if I try to move it (the AI doesn't interfere when I order other units around). I wonder why.

Last edited: