+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helvetia Universalis: an AI world conquest attempt

Crusader Kings IIFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Helvetia Universalis: an AI world conquest attempt

This is my first attempt at an AAR, so I hope it works out. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do this, but I'll probably keep things fairly brief, as I'm not very good at telling stories.

PROLOGUE

2119: World War III has started, and this time even Switzerland can't avoid it. As the first wave of Chinese missiles strike the country, there is a blinding flash of light covering not just the targets, but the whole country. After a few minutes, the glow fades. Spy satellites reveal that the built-up area of the country has diminished, and yet there is no sign of damage in much of the country. Closer inspection reveals a medieval civilisation wedged in between the ruins of a devastated Europe.

1419: The Swiss nation has survived, but the computer program known as "People's Revered President of Helvetia version 1.07" understands that its mission is only half complete. There is only one sure way to prevent wars between countries - make sure that only one country exists.

In this scenario, Helvetia starts with:
    - french, german and italian cultures
    - cores everywhere
    - knowledge of all technology and the whole world
    - 1 million ducats
    - a few hundred thousand men and maximum fortifications
    - a hyper-aggressive AI

Let the conquest commence!

Europa Universalis 3

This looks intriguing. (Did I spell that right?) What country will you be playing to watch this super-Switzerland?
    Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway
    FINISHED: Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, an AAR of the USA.
    Pretty stale: The Crusader Mafia: A Neapolitan AAR. Winner: AARland Reader's Choice Awards Q4, CK comedy.
    I own one sixth of Henry v. Keiper's soul, 600 kenneththegreat points, 5 Pimp Shizzle Points,
    <--- a Phoenix cookie, and three anonymous4401 dollars.
    Index of "Interesting" OT Threads for your erudition. Not updated, but you'll just have to live with that.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

I understand that HE will be playing this unnatural Swiss Confedation!!

It should be instresting

Thanks

Joe (Sapphire)
    The Court of His Grace, Louis the Second, King of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia in Medieval RPG

Europa Universalis 3

He said an AI world conquest attempt, and specifically mentioned a hyper-agressive, AI which wouldn't mean much if he was conquering with Helvetia would it? My impression was that it would be a kind of handsoff game.
    Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway
    FINISHED: Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, an AAR of the USA.
    Pretty stale: The Crusader Mafia: A Neapolitan AAR. Winner: AARland Reader's Choice Awards Q4, CK comedy.
    I own one sixth of Henry v. Keiper's soul, 600 kenneththegreat points, 5 Pimp Shizzle Points,
    <--- a Phoenix cookie, and three anonymous4401 dollars.
    Index of "Interesting" OT Threads for your erudition. Not updated, but you'll just have to live with that.

This is an awesome idea. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Which patch are you using? The almost-certain Civil Wars once you go over the BB limit in the most recent betas could cripple even such a hyperpowered AI nation (or at least get it stuck permanently re-annexing revolters), since the rebels will be just as strong as its troops. With vanilla 1.08, though, it ought to cut a swath through the world...

What's the AI set to? All countries on its hitlist, 100 warmongerer, and ferocious?

Heck, I'd like the files to try this out myself...

Oh, and the supercomputer should be called "HelvNet."

For The Glory

Blog Entries
    Ho.. I knew it!
    All those years of neutralaty were just people botheling up agression.
    Let's see it come out then!

Crusader Kings IIFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sindai
    This is an awesome idea. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Which patch are you using? The almost-certain Civil Wars once you go over the BB limit in the most recent betas could cripple even such a hyperpowered AI nation (or at least get it stuck permanently re-annexing revolters), since the rebels will be just as strong as its troops. With vanilla 1.08, though, it ought to cut a swath through the world...

What's the AI set to? All countries on its hitlist, 100 warmongerer, and ferocious?

Heck, I'd like the files to try this out myself...

Oh, and the supercomputer should be called "HelvNet."
    I'm using patch 1.07. The AI isn't ferocious, because I find it's usually an impediment, and I've removed a few remote countries from the hitlist to stop Switzerland starting wars it can't fight.

Swiss European posessions, 1429:

Switzerland also has 15 provinces outside Europe (colonies and TPs)

Army ~ 200 000 men
    Navy ~ 50 ships

Key events:

4 Oct 1419: Helvetia annexes Piemonte, thus gaining a coastline (I put Helvetia in a war with Savoy at the start of the scenario to get things going)

circa 1423: Despite the best efforts of the Swiss, outsiders begin to learn the secrets of their advanced weaponry. Primitive muskets are developed in Strasbourg, inspired by their Swiss allies, and quickly gain popularity all over Germany and Italy. (Gotta love that neighbour bonus!)
    Last edited by Incompetent; 06-07-2004 at 13:56.

Europe in 1450:

Helvetia controls 25 overseas provinces, including 14 in the Caribbean.

Army: ~ 500 000 men
    Navy: ~ 70 ships

Key events

7 Feb 1429: After a visit to Bern, Pope Martinus V declares the Swiss confederation to be "a leading force for peace and justice in Christendom" and joins the Swiss alliance. One cardinal later remarks that "ever since his visit to Bern, His Holiness seemed remarkably contemplative, often staring in silence for hours at a time."

15 Dec 1431: The colony of New Bern on the island of Java is the first to be classified as a 'settled province' by the President, granting full citizenship to the natives in the surrounding area.

1431-33: A mostly Italian coalition declares war on the Papal States, ostensibly to ensure a less pro-Swiss successor to Pope Martinus. In the event, Helvetia does not interfere, as the President decides that discord over the Pontiff will ultimately weaken opposition to the Confederation.

1433: The Swiss Navy is used in anger for the first time, as part of a successful campaign against Genoa.

20 Feb 1435: Austria makes the fateful decision of supporting Bavaria in its war against the Swiss. The duchy is reduced to a fraction of its former size.

21 Mar 1441: With the conquest of Genoa, Helvetia finally gains control of overseas trade. The Swiss Stock Exchange soon becomes the world's premier centre of commerce:

14 Feb 1443: Vienna is annexed to Helvetia. Former Arch-duke Ladislas Postumus abdicates as Holy Roman Emperor, but continues to rule his remaining kingdoms from Buda.

1443: Alsace and Mainz begin the accession process to become Cantons of the Confederation.

1449: France and Helvetia are briefly brought into conflict by supporting opposing sides in the intermittent Alsace-Lorraine War. However, neither power is particularly committed and the fighting ends after a few months with Lorraine granting Alsace military access.

Cities in Motion 2Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne500k club

Great idea for an AAR.

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms Amric's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3

I have to agree with an earlier sentiment expressed. This is not only an interesting idea, but I would LOVE to see the specs on how you got the AI to do so well....Makes me want to create a super AI and see if I could somehow defeat it...Well done!
    Guardian of Truth, Defender of Justice, Harbinger of Light! Formerly known as the Hurricane!

Now retired from writing!

"You can rest assured, sir, that I will do everything in my power to make sure it isn't my fault!" --Dr. Grant

lol, it's funny seeing how much trade a TL 10 CoT pulls in in the 1400s.

The partition of Denmark, 1451-1456

In the 1450s, Denmark found itself at war with much of the Catholic world, including England, Sweden, Poland and of course the Helvetic Confederation. The conflict was long, though this had little to do with the hopelessly outnumbered Danish army. Swiss efforts in particular were hampered by confusing orders from the President, along the lines of "Kill the Danes, but keep the English and Swedes on their toes as well! Don't stay too long in one place or they'll steal your siege."

Nevertheless, by the end of 1456 the Kingdom of Denmark had effectively been dismantled. Copenhagen had been occupied by three different powers in as many years. By the time King Christian made peace with his last enemy, Sweden, his rule did not extend beyond the Sjaelland archipelago, though nominally Bremen still swore fealty. Swiss gains consisted of Greenland, Jutland and part of Norway.

(Why does the AI always do this to Denmark in my games? They only had 11 BB, and England and Helvetia didn't have any common border with Denmark! In case you were wondering, Denmark had exactly its cores in 1451, nothing more or less.)
    Last edited by Incompetent; 06-07-2004 at 20:09.

Captain

At this rate AI will manage to do WC!

More! More! It all belongs to Mother Helvetia.

Europe, 1492:

Major Swiss holdings overseas:

Helvetia has also laid claim to Greenland, parts of the American mainland, islands in the Indian Ocean and Tahiti (COT). Overall about 90 provinces are under Swiss ownership.

Statistics:

Army: 546 000 infantry, 133 000 cavalry, 600 cannon
    Navy: 93 warships, 64 transports
    BadBoy: 117.6

In 1491, the Swiss earned 4885 ducats and spent 2858. So it looks like the AI is spending within its means, despite its generous initial money supply!

Key events:

1455: Muscovy soundly beats Novgorod, ensuring a strong Russia in the years to come.

1 Jun 1469: A Swiss force of 20 000 men is defeated and destroyed in battles with a slightly larger Danish force outside Copenhagen. This represents the first serious setback for the Swiss army.

Jan 1474: Inexplicably, the remote island of Tahiti becomes the centre of Swiss trade in the Far East. Swiss merchants establish a complete monopoly there, as the President has so far managed to keep the island's location secret.

24 Feb 1474: Helvetia declares war on France, and sends separate declarations of war to French allies Scotland and Albania to make its intentions absolutely clear. Albania is soon annexed, and Edinburgh is seized by England before the Swiss can reach it, but the war in France lasts five years.

Faced with a far better-equipped foe, the French abandon everything east of the Seine and muster a force of about 50 000 near Orleans. At first this force is shown little respect by the Swiss, but after losing several divisions in a futile attempt to dislodge it, the Swiss take a new approach to the French army, sweeping round it to take the rest of the country while leaving a small force to shadow its movements. Thinking the Swiss have retreated, the French army crosses the Seine and retakes Paris, but soon finds its gains erased by the shadowing force. As a result of several ill-advised attempts to take on the Swiss troops still east of the Seine, the army is reduced to less than a tenth its original strength, and the French are able to carry out no more than guerilla activities until the end of the war.

In the treaty of 1479, France was forced to cede 4 provinces to the Swiss - a merciful outcome, given France's total defeat in the war.

1479,1483: No longer under the protection of the Confederation, the Swiss vassals of Alsace and Mainz are annexed by Burgundy, a duchy eager to show that it should still be taken seriously.

(I'm a bit worried about Denmark: Switzerland's declared war on them several times now, but apart from the Partition and the war of 1469, they've failed to send any troops to Copenhagen and the war's ended in a White Peace. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve the AI to stop this?)
    Last edited by Incompetent; 07-07-2004 at 17:02.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Great stuff! As for your little problem, perhaps the danish navy is the problem? I think they have a navy in the sund, which prohibits the swiss from going to sjaelland...
    'Med gud och segrande vapen!' - Gustav II Adolf

'In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!' - Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Armfeldt
    Great stuff! As for your little problem, perhaps the danish navy is the problem? I think they have a navy in the sund, which prohibits the swiss from going to sjaelland...
    No, the Swiss are quite good at blockading Copenhagen and trapping the Danish navy. The problem is that Helvetia needs to either transport an army to the area, or train one in Jutland, but it won't. Thanks to Sjaelland's very high tax value, it's becoming a bit of an obsession for the AI. I can't really justify taking DAN off the kill list, because Switzerland should have no trouble conquering it. They were able to ship troops halfway around the world to conquer Makassar, so why can't they send them from Bremen to Sjaelland?

Hmm... I discovered using richelieu that Helvetia is extremely reluctant to allow their main fleet to leave Genoa, ordering it straight back there if I try to move it (the AI doesn't interfere when I order other units around). I wonder why.
    Last edited by Incompetent; 07-07-2004 at 20:38.

Drat, and I was going to suggest using Richelieu to force an assault yourself. Oh well, maybe once it gets a land connection to Jutland the AI will figure it out.

You know, that was one entertaining prologue. Short and impactful, and it makes you want to read more. The first chapter is also great... just the style I like. Keep writing, and good luck with your game. I'll be checking in on the progress of Swiss world domination

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast