• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gzav

Belgian.
71 Badges
May 31, 2002
Visit site
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
Reading the forum, i see an increasing number of double posts, i.e., you explain an idea in a post, and right after that, you post another thing after it. Please stop doing that, i do not like seeing double posts, when there is an "edit post" option readily available to you to add whatever thoughts you had on the first post.

If i see more double posts, i will delete the second and edit the first to have the contents of both in it.

Thank you

gzav - HoI mod

what if the two posts are on differant subject? Obviously the subject of HoI would be prominent in both. But what if one post was asking about I dunno, how to diplomatically isolate people and absorb them into your alliance, while the other was about the world market, and then say a third about Land General special abilities. Would it make more sense to break all these posts up for the ease of reading and tracking purposes? Or are you just asking for people to stop posting followup questions that heavily relate to their last post?

I generally seperate different thoughts into 2 different posts. Makes more sense, especially if I am replying to two or more people's previous posts/responses in the thread.

However, if you really want to edit them into one post, that works for me. :D

It's like having my mom working in the forum to clean up after me. That rules! :D

What i don't want to see anymore is double posts like "oh yeah, and more and that blablabla"...The edit button is there for that. I don't want to see 5 posts in a row (yep, 5...) all talking about the same thing. These will be deleted.

But, if the 2 posts express different ideas altogether, then it's fine, just try and keep all ideas on the same post, as less posts means less server space taken and thus, less server troubles.

2Coats said:
it might be an idea to check the time stamps of each posts. I generally find that quite alot of people DONT edit and just tag on another post some thoughts they had after pushing the post button.
That's the problem, and in those cases, the 2nd post will be deleted and the first one edited.

edit: (see, i use it too :D), for an example, see Duuk's post... That's the way to do things ;)

Well, those were all based on one thought not 2 ;)

_5_ friggin edits, all while getting the "server busy" message. Man, I'm a fanatic.

Oh ok not what I thought the topic was about whew. I thought you mean posting something instead of searching through all the pages to see If possibly the topic had already been discussed

I have to agree with this. It just looks like the person's trying to up their post count when they have one post after another. It looks silly, especially with that handy edit button sitting there begging for you to click it. It's lonely! :p I was wondering when someone would say/do something about this.

Bravo, gzav. :)

I agree to the general consensus of the "rule", but I think it might be going a little too far. Why not editing all of a members post in one thread into one post, and then just specify the time written, we'll save a huge amount of server space... There is one reason to not edit posts together into one. If I'm posting one thing Friday night, no one answers, and a lot of other threads are answered, my one goes down on the list. Then, on Saturday night, I remember another thing I wanted to say, and I post it in my old thread, in a new post. I do this so the thread will go up in the list and show up unread to others. If just adding an edit to the post, no one will see that.

/Johan

True, but i usually check the times and i don't edit all the double posts, only those that i feel express the same idea or could be on the same post. But i don't normally delete bump posts, if these are really necessary.

I try to avoid editing posts because the edit function has a bug. The edited post becomes invisible and one has to use tricks like highlighting the post to make the text visible again. I reported this problem to a forum admin when it started happening after the forum software was upgraded but the problem still exists and is quite annoying. And I'm not the only one that suffers from this - I saw someone else mention the same problem just today.

So, when I go the two adjacent posts of mine that you edited together, I can't read it. Please leave well alone and see if you can't resolve the edit bug instead.

Andrew

Colonel Warden said:
I try to avoid editing posts because the edit function has a bug. The edited post becomes invisible and one has to use tricks like highlighting the post to make the text visible again.
Try scrolling up and scrolling back down again. That usually works to fix it for me.

gzav said:
You might want to try changing browsers?
I am using Internet Explorer 6.0 and that's not unusual. It may be that the new forum software was set up with a colour scheme that doesn't work well with some colour settings. I'm using True Colour (32 bit).

Anyway, I don't have the problem on the other vBulletin boards that I frequent. And the problem started with the forum upgrade here. It's changing software that usually causes problems and I'm not going to make matters worse by changing mine too.

Andrew

P.S. I'm editing this post after changing my forum options as described below.

Last edited:
I'd point out that you don't have to press the 'edit' button for this to happen, it just does sometimes. (Win XP Pro/IE6 at work, Win2000 Pro/IE6 at home, happens in both cases, 24 bit colour.)

But I would confirm that it's only happened since the forum upgrade, though.

Steve.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I've never seen this problem and someone made the comment that it doesn't happen if you change your forum settings so that posters' names are on the left instead of above the post (User CP - Edit Options - User Postbit - Left). So I don't see it because I switched my settings as soon as I found out I could.

jdrou said:
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I've never seen this problem and someone made the comment that it doesn't happen if you change your forum settings so that posters' names are on the left instead of above the post (User CP - Edit Options - User Postbit - Left). So I don't see it because I switched my settings as soon as I found out I could.
I just tried this suggestion and found that it prevents the problem, as you say - many thanks. Weird, isn't it?

Andrew