• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CatKnight, just a note to say that I have recently started to read this wonderful AAR of yours. I'm all the way back in July 2004 at the moment - that is Tom Heyward has just been rescued from the clutches of Col Exeter in Cherokee territory. if only I didn't have to go to work tomorrow...

Anyway, just wanted to say that I am reading.

CatKnight: ...Anyway, you are ignoring the truth of the Civil War: It was not about slavery. Yes, it was a hot issue and some were placing pressure on the South, but no one in power was telling the South to abolish it...

interesting statement about no one (in the North) was telling the South to abolish slavery. about a week ago i heard that a new letter by Lincoln [circa late 1860 or early 1861] supporting a Constitutional admendment protecting slavery! ! i have not heard anything since, especially concerning the validity of the letter... ;)

CatKnight: ..."Your being here." His host grinned. "You could dump him on the street and be done with it. Instead your getting involved - and now bringing me in to. You believe him."...

Captain Jones certainly could be invaluable as an ally! ! :D

at first thought as to the identity of the northern general, i thought "John Adams." then, upon reflection, i thought, "John Adams was not in the military."

so, my guess is that Benedict Arnold is our congressman, or, someone new to the AAR? :rolleyes:

astounding update! ! :cool:

GhostWriter said:
interesting statement about no one (in the North) was telling the South to abolish slavery. about a week ago i heard that a new letter by Lincoln [circa late 1860 or early 1861] supporting a Constitutional admendment protecting slavery! ! i have not heard anything since, especially concerning the validity of the letter... ;)

I admit I am talking without having seen anything about this letter beyond what you say, but it was my understanding that Lincoln felt that slavery was already constitutional but that it was also constitutional to try and limit slavery to where it currently existed... The Cooper Union speech is a good example of where he explains this. This might be the Corwin amendment, which was not Lincoln's doing but which he may very well have commented on.

I have to think that Tom's getting some decent help from Jones, even if it is uncertain. Still, he could have picked worse ships. ;)

As for Ann...well, you've really thrown me for a loop. I think perhaps you have thrown us a ruse and perhaps she is not dead. But if she is dead, Tom will be even more pressed to act when he finds out. And what of Preston...is he to be blamed? Very interesting situation.

Caught up again, CatKnight. Excellent as always. Now how about another update? :D

If Anne really is dead, Tom ought to fly into a fit of rage and/or a deep depression. The second woman in his life that he has loved taken away from him abruptly and early. Especially so shortly after he has permitted himself to love again.

Black and Exeter better watch their six cuz they might just have opened up a Pandora's Box.

I have to say that I am of a mind that the news of Anne's death is a red herring being tossed out by the bad guys (and thus Cat ;) ) to put our heroes off balance. However, IF Anne has been, ah, eliminated by Mr. Black and his pet goon Jasen Exeter, I agree with LewsTherin, they just have pushed Tom over the edge and opened a world of hurt upon themselves and their plans!

Draco Rexus said:
I have to say that I am of a mind that the news of Anne's death is a red herring being tossed out by the bad guys (and thus Cat ;) ) to put our heroes off balance. However, IF Anne has been, ah, eliminated by Mr. Black and his pet goon Jasen Exeter, I agree with LewsTherin, they just have pushed Tom over the edge and opened a world of hurt upon themselves and their plans!

i am inclined to agree that Anne is not dead ! ! ;)

Sorry about the delay folks. I've been in the hospital the past few days.

I hope to update tonight!

CatKnight said:
Sorry about the delay folks. I've been in the hospital the past few days.

I hope to update tonight!

Well. I too, hope it wasn't/isn't serious.

Did the trees strike back?

DW

I echo the chorus in saying that I hope all is well, Cat.

If it were a result of them trees seeking revenge for all the maltreatment you've given them, I hear that fire and an axe will generally scare them away! ;)

Fulcrumvale: Yep, again. Let's see if it sticks this time!

Stuyvesant: John's definitely thinking now, though we'll see if he's finally 'turned' or not. I honestly don't know, his story's not going where I predicted. With a family he also needs to be very careful. As for Tom's new potential ally, he's coming up soon.

Vann the Red: Thanks!

J. Passepartout: We'll see and...well, we'll see :)

Draco Rexus: In the end it may not matter if Anne was killed or not. The English believe it. The CAROLINANS believe it. If word gets back to Tom, what choice does he have?

jwolf: Black would love to try, but he has his own problems.

dublish: I think people are starting to realize something is wrong with Black. He still has the initiative, but he's in danger of losing it.

stnylan: Welcome! I hope you catch up soon! Your comments are always welcome :)

DWR: Major? Hm. Anyway, no. At this point Arnold probably does live in Massachusetts, but he's still leading the American Army. He doesn't have time for this congressional nonsense. :) Anyway, welcome!

GhostWriter: Actually someone old to the AAR, but in a new role!

J. Passepartout: I'm not sure what Lincoln's stance was. From what little I do know, I believe his primary motive was to hold the Union together at all costs, so I can see him being as conciliatory as possible to the south - at least until December 1860.

coz1: Yep, time for another update! Jones wants to help Tom, but obviously he doesn't want to help a madman either.

LewsTherin: OH yeah, you've said it perfectly. If Anne's dead, Black may have bit off more than even his quasi-demonic self can chew.

Draco Rexus: Wait a minute. "....a red herring being tossed out by the bad guys (and thus Cat)..."? So now I'm one of the bad guys? Hmf. I'm just an arboricidal maniac thank you.

GhostWriter: Perhaps, perhaps not. As I wrote above, it may not matter if Tom BELIEVES it's true!

J. Passepartout: Okay, I'll update now!

Dead William: Yes, it was the trees. :( I was walking home and they started throwing branches at me. I think they had cows acting as spotters. It was terrible. :sob:

Honestly, I have asthma and it decided to have a fit. There were about five really tense minutes, then a few days of waiting for everything to settle down again. I'm okay now, just taking lots of drugs and enjoying some spare time for writing. :)

Draco Rexus: Oh, I have plans for those trees! :mad:

-= 158 =-

South Carolina
June 1784

SAVANNAH, Ga.
In the predawn hours of the 30th, Miss Anne Whiting was slain at Pelton's Boarding House on George Street. Miss Whiting was found in the company of Mister Malcolm Kelleher, a known agent of His Majesty's Colonial Office and fled to Georgia with Maj.Gen. Thomas Heyward following his attempted murder of Mister Edward Rutledge and subsequent defection.

Following Mister Rutledge's guidance, Col. Jonathan Preston infiltrated Savannah to capture the Major General. Having apparently learned of his deliverance to Halifax, there to coordinate with enemies of America, British authorities believe Col. Preston exacted vengeance in our name and ensured Miss Whiting could not compromise us further. For this he has our eternal grati....

John Preston crumpled the paper for the fourth time that morning and threw it on his desk, pacing back and forth in front of it. He was in full dress uniform, the blue and white of the American army with a new red sash for the Carolina Guard. His sword, battered but still useful, thumped against his hip with every step. Sunlight poured in through the open window, reddening his pock-marked, severe expression and making him sweat under the broadcloth.

"John?" Cassie appeared at the door, dressed in a simple pink gown and looking exhausted. They'd been up most of the night comparing happenings and painting a fairly black picture of the Carolina landscape: Slaves found conspiring with the Indians and thrown into labor camps to be watched by the formidable but grossly under trained 'Citizen's Army.' Sedition laws silenced the naysayers, and the Carolina Guard's defensive role now included 'convincing' those people to leave.

"John?" Cassie interrupted again. "The carriage is here."

"Fine." Preston snatched his hat and walked for the door.

She stopped him, lightly touching his arm and looked up. "You won't do anything...foolish?"

"Like speak my mind?" He softened as she lowered her gaze. "No, I won't do anything...foolish."

"If something is amiss, you're far more able to change things from within," she told him.

"Aye. I wonder if that's what Tom told himself too."

------

moultriedj9.gif

William Moultrie

"Colonel Preston? Pray have a seat." William Moultrie, acting Governor of South Carolina, stood. He was a big man, his head thrown back with an aristocratic air as he shook his guest's hand. His expression matched Preston's - grave and a querulous. Who do you belong to, Colonel? "I hope my driver did not startle you by turning off." Moultrie sat, absently jerking his silver vest into order.

"I'm a little surprised Mister Rutledge did not ask to see me," John answered slowly, sitting. Moultrie was a planter by trade, though he'd fought tolerably well during the two English wars. His office consisted of a simple desk and two chairs. A shelf with various bottles sat near the dormant hearth. It was here a slave stood, arms clasped in front of him.

"Mister Rutledge is gone," Moultrie answered bluntly.

"What?" John leaned back, eyes wide. Gone? "How?"

The governor signaled to his slave. "Colonel Preston will have some lemonade. I think he could use it, as could I." He turned back to John. "Not literally, of course. However he has been very ill these last weeks and it is time for other men to lead Carolina."

John opened his mouth, but no words came out. He finally managed, "You startle me."

"I thought I might, Colonel." Moultrie nodded as lemonade was set in front of them. "You have been sorely out of touch, and anyway we've tried not to let word spread too far. There are many who think Mister Rutledge's reforms have made Carolina strong, and it would not do to alarm them."

Preston sipped his drink. Far too sour. "You disagree then?"

"As do you, I warrant," Moultrie replied. "A man does not thoroughly investigate an attempted murder, as you have, and come out with one word reports like inconclusive unless he has a great deal to say on the subject but does not feel, due to honor or loyalty or family perhaps, that he may. I am aware your return to Carolina after Miss Whiting's death was strangely delayed, which suggests you have continued your investigation."

"I didn't kill her," John snapped.

"I was not there, so I cannot concur or deny. It matters little. If you did not, excellent. If you did, you were under orders from a previous administration and no doubt thought to uncover a traitor. What matters now is the future, Colonel." Moultrie leaned forward. "Are you with me?"

"For what, precisely?"

"Colonel, I thought I was clear." Moultrie frowned and leaned back. "Then again, perhaps not. I will do so. With Mister Guerard's infirmity, I am Governor of South Carolina, appointed by the State Assembly. Mister Rutledge was appointed by the Patriot's League, which while containing many of the outstanding citizens of our community has no place in the state constitution. This League outfitted Mister Rutledge with a number of powers no executive should have, lest our revolt against Britain be proven folly. He has used these powers to harm Carolina's reputation in America and abroad. He has made a mockery of everything we fought and bled for. I am not alone in believing this. We will have to move carefully, Colonel, but I want you to help me take Carolina back."

-----

So, this is death. How irritating.

Or it might be so, had this really been death. Mister Black lay on his sofa, a moist cloth over his eyes and forehead. Strangely it helped ease the headache that threatened every so often to tear his body in twain.

At first he thought Rutledge's body was dying. It would be too early, and entirely inconvenient, but not unheard of. Perhaps he'd waited too long to heal the man's broken body following the fire, perhaps some insidious poison or infection had crept into his bloodstream.

No, however. It wasn't Rutledge. It was far, far worse.

A low, angry grunt brought Black back to the present. "You have returned, Jasen."

Exeter growled his assent.

"I assume you are the one who killed Anne?"

Another growl.

"It was unnecessary."

This time Exeter sounded threatening. Black sighed and ripped the cloth from his forehead. His all too human eyes failed to adjust to the light readily, but he didn't need them to sense his hulking companion. "I would not take that tone," he said shortly. "I made you, I can unmake you. Is that what you wish, Jasen? To be penniless and helpless in Florida once more? I can arrange that!"

The former British general snarled.

"Our fates are entwined now, Jasen. Anne's death was unnecessary, but we can still use it. More importantly, did you kill Thomas?"

Exeter didn't reply. Black sighed again and dropped the cloth back over his eyes. "So he is truly on his way to Halifax. Not good. Leave me, Jasen. I need to think."

Black could feel events slipping through his fingers. Already people were turning against him, with that fickle sense of loyalty that made humans such unfit companions for God. Thomas was still out there, and though anything he said would sound like a madman's words - how many did he really need to listen? Had this all gone wrong some how? And why was it so hard to think, let alone do anything? What had the son of a bitch done to him? Why did he feel almost...

...mortal?

-----

Massachusetts

oldnorthchurchtz3.jpg

Old North Church, Boston

Carriages moved up and down the cobbled streets of Boston as the sun sank lower in the western sky. Some shops had closed early, though most stayed open, eager to take advantage of the warm, pleasant days to transact as much business as possible. People followed in the wake of the carriages, exchanging the latest gossip about this dance or that rout, business and friends, the continued perfidy of the handful of London merchants still in town.

Thomas Heyward stepped out of the Old North Church on Salem Street. He'd spent the day poring over the church records looking for any clues about Mister Black. None, of course, though the Bible had more interesting things to say:

The Old Testament ran mostly silent, though three cases implied that God might have sent evil possessing spirits. It sounded like something the harsher, pre-Resurrection God might do, which instantly made it suspect in Tom's eyes - he couldn't fathom God's attitude towards humanity changing, at least on something as important as this. Further, the Jews' insistence on a monotheistic answer to everything might cause them to believe that God had to be responsible for evil spirits as well.

The New Testament was much more detailed. Possessors could grant strength and take on the speech of their host. They could grant special powers and cause illness. This, to Tom, sounded more like Black. Multiple demons could inhabit one individual. Exorcising could only be done by Christians, and was inherently dangerous... Tom thought this would require a little more effort than "In the name of Jesus, be gone."

That, of course, assumed Rutledge had been possessed. If Mister Black had simply replaced him somehow, much as he'd replaced the 'real' Thomas Heyward, then the situation complicated significantly ... and why was Black so eager to kill Cherokee?

Tom stopped in front of a small yellow house on the outskirts of the city. Today he wore a black coat and breeches, marking him as a civilian to avoid attracting any attention. He smoothed his brown hair back under his wig, put on his hat and approached the wide oak door.

"My name is Heyward," he told the servant, handing him a small card. "I believe I'm expected."

"Yes, General. Captain Waymouth is waiting for you in his study."

It is very very gratifying to see people react against Black without Heyward prodding them. Hopefully both the Carolinians and Heyward reach peak strength at the same time and can combine to defeat Black.

Is Black actually mortal in addition to the fact that it is possible for him to die, or is he simply dying? I know you can't answer that at the moment but it is an interesting question.

If I was Heyward I would begin wondering whether the the New had actually superceded the Old, and be incredibly worried; then I would eventually decide that the New appears to at least give instructions. Of course, Heyward may be a more devout man than I.

CatKnight: ..."Yes, General. Captain Waymouth is waiting for you in his study."

hmmm. a land Captain is much lower in rank than a naval Captain... thus, why would Captain Jones defer to Captain Waymouth. hmmm. "Congressman" explains... ;)

excellent update! ! :cool:

please, get well and stay well CatKnight.

Why did he feel almost...

...mortal?
Cue maniacal laughter.

And this time it looks like John might actually stay on the good side. Unless his new ally is a double agent…

Last edited:
CatKnight said:
What had the son of a bitch done to him?

What indeed? You have me puzzled on what is happening to black. Is Rutledge wearing him down from within? No, but then what is causing Black's weakness? But it is good to see the beginning of an insurrection and John not acting like a fool.

Joe

Storey said:
CatKnight said:
What had the son of a bitch done to him?

What indeed? You have me puzzled on what is happening to black...
perhaps Tom has acquired some new powers/insight/help... ;)

if so, he sure needs it ! ! :cool:

GhostWriter said:
perhaps Tom has acquired some new powers/insight/help... ;)

if so, he sure needs it ! ! :cool:

Who says it's Tom? Maybe Tom has friends in places he doesn't know about yet. Or maybe Cassie stepped in to make sure Tom wouldn't have to go through the pain of loss twice and saved Anne from Jasen and that's why he's so upset. Or maybe Anne isn't what even she thinks she is and that's why Jasen's upset.