• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Err... I'm guessing you won't abruptly end your AAR by having Heyward killed, since he is your main protagonist, but I don't think Heyward's a match for the nasty Mr Stewart... So I'm a little worried about what's going to happen.

Is there going to be an ironic symmetry, in that Stewart is going to injure but not kill Heyward, which would then turn Heyward into the American/Colonial/rebel equivalent of Jasen Exeter? Crippled, but a more ferocious fighter then ever?

On a final note: why didn't you tell him?!? WHY?!? <breaks out in uncontrollable wailing>

I'm not really going to speculate at the moment and instead just wait for more information to become apparent. Though I am rather curious as to how the war has been going in the north lately.

Well of course Heyward didn't tell John - how else to keep his nasty side at the front? Besides, he felt it best and John should have simply taken him for his word. Trust, John...trust.

And what is being cooked up with Stewart? Should be interesting.

How it is possible I have no idea, but as interesting as things are, things are becoming even more interesting! The tension is just bouncing right out of the words and the strain of waiting for all Hell to break loose is forcing me into multiple meetings of my AARA group! :D

Stuyvesant said:
On a final note: why didn't you tell him?!? WHY?!? <breaks out in uncontrollable wailing>

Nope CatKnight wasn’t allowed to tell him. If you look in your copy of the ‘Webster’s first edition on the American rules of writing’ you will find on page 324 paragraph 3 where it states… Hmm, where is it, ah yes…

"An author must when telling a story from multiple points of view always have two or more characters in the story who will have great trouble communicating. This will manifest itself in tension filled conversations where one character will decide not to or hesitate to long in telling another character something of importance. This tardiness in communication will prevent the forbidden "premature happy ending" and will instead lead to assorted events that will cause escalating violence and lots of blood with some gore mixed in for good measure much to the gratification of the reader."

I surprised you didn’t know that. ;)

Joe

Delightful and I thought those Webster book's about Writing were just garbage. That's sound advice right there.

Lews Therin: I wish I could update faster too. Unfortunately i keep getting sick...and manage to distract myself with other things in the forum. Resurrection's still my favorite project though, and my readers are the biggest reason!

J. Passepartout: No...and that's what I have to work out before I get back to Stewart and Heyward. (I'm open to suggestions people)
Stewart knows there's *A* time traveler but not who.
Tom doesn't even know there is one.
They need to positively ID each other in the next scene or two of theirs. Short of letting Stewart have a Glock pistol though, I'm not sure how.

Stuyvesant: Now that's an idea, I could just kill Heyward off.
Hmm...nah! I'm a little worried too though, Stewart's main advantage is he just doesn't care about the rules, and Heyward doesn't even know he's a target.

Machiavellian: North's kinda boring right this second. By now the North Army is in Oswego (western New York) sieging out the British there. They're about to get an annoying surprise though.

coz1: Hm...trust is not John's strong suit. And the others are right, not telling him isn't going to help one bit.

Draco Rexus: It's about to get uglier.

Storey: WHAT!? WHERE? * rips the book out of his hands and reads greedily *

It must be mine! Where did my bookstore go?

Machiavellian: It is. Very sound advice. Where's my bookstore!? Gah!

---------------------
Incidentally, this is my 700th post and should bump me up to Colonel. Time to party!

(Or perhaps not. Grr.)

-= 79 =-
2 April, 1781
Charleston, South Carolina

"Very well," Henrietta Rutledge clasped her hands and tilted her head to one side. "Turn? Turn again? No, my dear, not so quickly. The hem of your dress must fan out just enough to keep everything trim. You do not want to appear the startled doe, but the graceful swan. Yes, much better."

Cassandra Rafferty turned, dressed in a pale pink gown which could have probably paid for her father's establishment in New York. She half opened her fan and covered her nose and mouth, looking down over the ribs.

"We are being watched?"

"What!? Where!?" Cassie looked around, startled.

Henrietta laughed. "That's what you said with your fan. Remember it has its own language based on how you carry it."

"I was trying to be coy."

"We will need to practice." It'd taken Rutledge less than an evening to realize her guest wasn't 'quite exactly,' and she easily pierced Cassie's primitive bluffs. Henrietta was the daughter of the Henry Middleton who'd represented South Carolina during the Intercolonial Assembly in 1766 fighting the Coercive Acts. Her marriage was therefore a political one and she knew more about intrigue and society than most. She'd taken Cassie under her wing, partially because it was expected of a good hostess, partially because her days were lonely and she could use a companion, and partially to keep Mister Rutledge at bay. That night he'd been unusually warm and passionate - then promptly fell into a discussion of what Cassie's presence might mean.

She didn't suspect any kind of intrigue. First, Cassie was a miserable liar, and second Mister Rutledge knew that with her own connections, Henrietta could make her displeasure known. Nothing to worry about then, but putting the girl squarely in her debt had its advantages ... and making sure she was a suitable match for this Colonel Preston served as well.

Plus, she genuinely liked her. "Now, let me tell you about our guests. There is Mrs. Sparrow. You must be certain she is at least partially facing in your direction when you speak to her. There is something wrong with her hearing, but we try not to make it apparent."

"Wouldn't it be kinder to tell her so she can see a doctor?"

"No, my dear. Why make her self-conscious? You cannot just walk up to a woman and discuss her defects, unless you're her dear friend or you wish to make an enemy. You will find that most of the people we meet are proud and have reason to be. Plus, I suspect the poor dear knows. Now, her husband will probably stop by as a courtesy. Be aware, his sense of humor is not the thing at all and if he offers to share poetry, we must politely dissuade him. He is quite taken with Mister William Blake's work(1), and it is all stuff. Now, Mrs. Whiting..."

Cassie listened intently. Even after a month she was still somewhat in shock at the intricacies of Rutledge's life and the terrible consequences at the slightest misstep or slipped word. She wanted to do this. They'd been kind enough and her husband, Edward, promised he'd sent a message to John by the fastest means available. Cassie just hoped she could live up to everyone's expectations. It was nice to belong, even peripherally.

"Are you attending, my dear? Now this is the great part, you....Yes?"

Isabel was a slim black woman, perhaps thirty in a simple dress and wearing a kerchief. "Mistress, there's a Colonel Preston at the door looking for the master."

Cassie leapt to her feet. Henrietta's pudgy hand lashed out like a whip, seizing her wrist. She didn't turn to the slave. "How is the colonel dressed?"

Isabel paused. Nothing good ever came out of talking bad about a white man. "He's been on the road miss, riding hard it seems like, and I smelt the sea on him."

Rutledge's eyes hardened as she studied her incredulous guest. "Send him away then. Tell him the master's not at home. If he asks, you may tell him where Mister Rutledge works. Tell him he's invited to dinner."

"Yes, mistress." She vanished.

"Why did you stop me?" Rafferty demanded, rubbing her wrist, eyes flashing.

"You've not seen him in years, my dear. I am sure you wish to be in looks, and tonight when he is dressed more...appropriately? I am sure he will be grateful not to have shown himself to you in such a manner. After our guests leave we shall see what may be done, though with your natural looks I think we will not need to intervene much. I do hope Mister Rutledge has enough sense not to betray your presence? A surprise is such a romantic thing."

---------------------

"Mister Rutledge? I am Colonel Preston." John strode across the lawyer's office and bowed civilly.

Edward Rutledge smiled thinly. So, General Heyward didn't have the sense to keep you away. Your protector is a fool. "Colonel Preston!" He rose and stepped around the desk. "I am certain you're eager to see Miss Rafferty again, but first I.... Sir? Sir, do you need to sit down? Pray, take my arm!"

---------------------
(1) Blake's first book actually came out in 1783, but I figured we'd go with a relatively recognizable name. Blake's writings were misunderstood in life, as his belief in the imagination didn't jive with the hard rationalism of his time.

Oh, what fun it is going to be when Rutledge finds out that he made a slight error concerning Cassie and Preston..... hopefully that error will blow up in his face during this evening's little soiree with lots and lots of witnesses, eh? (aye, I'm an evil one, but that just makes things so much more fun sometimes! :D )

Woops. For all Rutledge's careful machinations, he certainly let that one slip...or did he?

And the scene with Cassie and Henrietta was great. The perfect southern charms and etiquette training and hopefully Cassie can observe them. But would John much care? I'm sure he will be simply happy to see her. Now Henrietta, on the other hand - what if there is a specticle? My stars! ;)

CatKnight said:
No...and that's what I have to work out before I get back to Stewart and Heyward. (I'm open to suggestions people)
Stewart knows there's *A* time traveler but not who.
Tom doesn't even know there is one.
They need to positively ID each other in the next scene or two of theirs. Short of letting Stewart have a Glock pistol though, I'm not sure how.

That’s quite a conundrum you have. However once again if you had a copy of ‘Webster’s First Edition of American Rules of Writing’ you would find in Chapter thirteen titled "How not to paint yourself into a corner" this bit of advice.

"When writing a story involving time travel one of the ways for time travelers to recognize one another is to employ the use of a word or phrase that would alert the time traveler. This must be something that would still make sense to the natives but still be enough out of place to act as a warning beacon to our hero. Of course the skill is selecting the right phase or word. Simply using the word automobile in the 1700’s for example while workable is inelegant and obvious. This is where finesse becomes an art and is appreciated by the readers."

P.S. I’m glad I don’t have to figure this out. :D

P.P.S. I’d be willing to sell my copy for the right offer. :D

Joe

I'm really starting to hate preston now (dunno why, must be because of his attitude), hopefully he falls into some trouble later on :p

LOL and that scene at the end! Brilliant :D

"Colonel Preston!" He rose and stepped around the desk. "I am certain you're eager to see Miss Rafferty again, but first I.... Sir? Sir, do you need to sit down? Pray, take my arm!"

Storey said:
Simply using the word automobile in the 1700’s for example while workable is inelegant and obvious.
Hmm. That probably means suggesting such choice words as 'Führer', 'World War Two', 'Wehrmacht' or 'Atomic Bomb' don't quite cut it, eh? Back to the drawing board...

CatKnight, I'm looking forward to see how this reunion plays out. I think it's entirely possible that the 'refined' way in which Henrietta and Rutledge treat John and Cassie is going to blow back into their faces. Somehow, I doubt John will be graceful for having been turned away at the gates, simply because he wasn't wearing his dress uniform...

As to Rutledge, he's always playing his deep games. I can't even begin to imagine how he plans to profit from this. However, he should worry about meeting somehow who plays it simple. Someone like John Preston, who might just stab him to death in one of his violent rages... Now wouldn't that be ironic, this master of the intricate plan defeated by simple, raw emotion? :)

Judas Maccabeus: Aww c'mon, you know Preston's an old hand at upper class dignity and comfort.

Draco Rexus: Rutledge is as suspicious as ever as you'll see.

coz1: You're right of course. John wouldn't really care, he might even be put off. Henrietta would faint. :)

Storey: Well...money's been kinda tight since my move. How about $5 and a Subway grinder?

PS: I did figure it out. I thought 'slipping' like your book suggests would be too..inelegant? But I realized that Heyward's already slipped badly. More on that later.

TreizeV: Yeah, that's what Rutledge gets for assuming John knew. Or is that what Tom gets for not telling him.

Stuyvesant: Well, so far so good though as you'll see, it's John who gets the first surprise. :)

-= 80 =-
2 April, 1781
Charleston, South Carolina

"Cassie?" John asked, for the third or fourth time. He stared at the floor like he planned to memorize every imperfection in the wood. "She...She's alive!?"

"Why, yes sir." Edward Rutledge sat less than three feet away, leaning towards him like a concerned friend. He was concerned. The colonel looked like he planned to vomit.

"Cassie?"

"Yes, sir. She came here perhaps a month ago. Did not General Heyward tell you?"

"No."

"Oh my." Deep inside Rutledge's heart soared. You are about to lose one of your pieces, General. He rose, walked to a small table and began pouring drinks.

"I thought she was dead." Preston's mind reeled. He couldn't think, he could barely see. Alive? How long had everyone known? Why didn't anyone tell him? Tom, Tom had known. So that's why you made me bring my uniform. Smug son of a bitch. He didn't know whether to be grateful or break the man's neck.

"I'm very concerned to hear that." Rutledge returned with the drinks. Could the woman at his house be an imposter! "I do assure you she's well. Mrs. Rutledge has taken good care of her."

"She's staying with you?" Preston took the glass and drank deeply. The bitter draught helped clear his head.

"Yes."

"I was just there."

Rutledge coughed into his handkerchief. "Who did you speak to?"

"One of your slaves. She went in and spoke to 'the mistress," John answered bitterly.

"Ah, you must forgive Mrs. Rutledge. She is one for ... for timing." And you smell like a fisherman. "You must come to dinner, then we will reunite you with Miss Rafferty." If she's who she says she is.

"I was already invited."

"Excellent! Now," he leaned back and spoke in a more formal tone, "I speak to you as a lawyer."

John looked up.

"Do you forsee any difficulties we need to protect your estate from?"

"Not that I know of?" Preston had better things on his mind than that! "I have a man who looks after those things."

"Yes, Mister Goodrich," Rutledge sniffed. "Your father valued him highly."

"But you do not?"

"Oh, he was a worthy enough attorney in his prime, Colonel. You must remember he's in his sixties, and doesn't get around as well as he did thirty years ago."

"So where should I look?" John asked cynically. "You?"

"I do not deal with estate law," Rutledge lied. "However I do favors for my friends. I would certainly hate to see your heritage absconded while you bravely defended Carolina from her enemies. So...no brothers? sisters? children?"

"No." John narrowed his eyes. Where was he leading? "None."

"Of course." Poor boy doesn't even know he may have children. I hope he knows how they're made! I shall have to watch him tonight. "My apologies. But should you find need for my support, I hope you will not hesitate."

"You were good enough to get me my commission already," Preston answered neutrally.

"I know, but your father was kind to me once, and I see great things for you in the future. A man in this life cannot have enough friends. Pray consider on it."

"Fine." Pause. "Thank you."

"Excellent! Now, allow me to aveer to our dinner tonight..."

------------------

Dinner at the Rutledge house: Bright lights and soft music, quiet conversation and a place to make alliances or issue warnings. Rarely a simple matter, tonight dinner promised chaos incarnate. Black servants bustled in and out straightening furniture, setting the table and preparing food. A violin player materialized from God knew where and annexed the sitting room where he sat tuning his instrument. Henrietta was determined that tonight should be special, expense be damned.

In her room Cassie stared at herself in a mirror as Isabel made some last minute adjustments to her dress. She could feel her heart pounding and could scarcely breathe, though in all fairness that may have been the corset. "It's so hot," she complained, fanning herself. "Aren't you done?"

"Almost, mistress. I was told you would like the pink sash tonight?"

"No!" Then, seeing Isabel's terrified look at deciding who to disobey, she sighed. "Fine. Just make it fast. No, wait! I'll do it myself!"

"But mistress..."

"If Mrs. Rutledge says anything, tell her I made you leave. Now get!"

Isabel left. Cassie sighed and tied the sash herself. She wanted tonight to go right, and she didn't want any damn help!

-----------------

"Good evening, sir." James bowed. "Your name?"

"Preston...Colonel John Preston."

"Of course. Mistress is expecting you. Shall I take you to her?"

"Please," Preston handed over his coat and hat. He'd followed Rutledge's not so subtle hints and now dressed in the splendid blue and white with red trim of the American army. A pretty girl of about sixteen years turned, seeing the uniform, and smiled brightly. She took one look at his scarred face and displeased expression and hurried off.

Preston followed the servant to a pudgy woman who turned and offered her hand at his introduction. "Colonel, I have so wanted to meet you!"

You didn't earlier, John thought, but decided against pressing the issue. He made his leg and took her hand. "Your servant."

Rutledge giggled as if this was the wittiest thing she'd ever heard. "And may I say how handsome you are this evening, colonel?"

"Thank you." John looked around.

"She will be right down I assure you. Would you like a drink? Isaac there can..."

The soft violin music suddenly intensified, and coming down the stairs John saw Cassie. She wore a pale yellow gown with a pink sash, somewhat low cut and long sleeved with gloves. Gloves? Rafferty fanned herself against the heat of so many people in a confined space and raw nerves. Their gazes locked. She smiled, it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.

"CASSIE!" John rushed across the crowded room, arms spread wide for a bear hug. Henrietta Rutledge gasped. Most of her friends frowned disapprovingly. Edward Rutledge looked up at the shout from his intense discussion and arched his eyebrows. The violin stopped in mid-note as he reached her.

No one was quite sure what occured next. It happened too fast. Suddenly John was sprawled on his back at her feet, looking up in amazement.

"Why, Colonel Preston," Cassie blushed and fanned herself some more. "You've taken a fall. I hope you're not injured?"

CatKnight [B said:
Storey:[/B] Well...money's been kinda tight since my move. How about $5 and a Subway grinder?

PS: I did figure it out. I thought 'slipping' like your book suggests would be too..inelegant? But I realized that Heyward's already slipped badly. More on that later.

Sold! So Heyward has already slipped? Interesting. If I wasn't the epitome of laziness I would go back and find what you are referring to but thank God I am lazy.

I admit you have me guessing at why John ended up sprawled at Cassie's feet. A simple slip? You have me seeing shadows behind everything that happens. :cool:

Joe

EDITED:

While I have you all here...

So, I'm looking at mods to download, and maybe refit Resurrection over. It's not looking promising.

I grabbed Hive's Age of Imperialism because I really like the flag work he did, and it has an awful lot of scenarios (basic + 1337, 1453, 1492, 1520, 1568, 1861 and so forth), a fact I really like. There are no more American events than before - which at least is status quo. Far worse, it's not entirely compatible. At least two of his scenarios are looking for the beta versions after 1.08, which I'd rather not install. Bah.

So I grabbed AGC-EEP ... lots of crunchy bits here. AI mod, plenty of events including ones making sure the Dutch revolts go off, plenty of nations to play, fantasy events/monarchs/leaders and on and on. Except...now there are only two scenarios (1419, 1520) and someone added 3 events to the US event file...and lost all the rest. All the vanilla events are either hiding or gone. I kinda like the late game scenarios, I'm not sure I want to limp all the way in from 1419...though the setup they have is very interesting.

So... any ideas? Any mod you really like? Am I best off just grabbing any graphics I like, dumping it on Vanilla and forgetting about it? What do you think?

Last edited:
Hmm. I'm with Storey on this, feeling a little paranoid about John's fall. Since you seem unwilling to detail the course of events, I have to believe something of import has happened. Of course, I am clueless as to what that something might be. Wait and see, wait and see, I suppose.

I liked Rutledge's silent condescension to John, questioning whether John knows where babies come from. He's what? Late teens, early twenties? Methinks Rutledge is underestimating Preston. At least, I hope so...

Can't help you with modding advice, since I've never played anything but vanilla. I even steer clear of the beta patches, worried as I am about crashes and such.

Sorry, but I, too, only play vanilla, and not even the latest patch at that. So pick your mod at your own risk. :D

I am very much enjoying the encounter between Preston and the Rutledges. A classic mismatch on all counts. :) As for Preston's sudden fall, my bet is that Cassie (after Henrietta's tutelage) carefully tripped him so that she would not be swept off her feet in a socially unacceptable manner.

By the way, that book of Storey's must be a real treasure. Storey's solution to the time travel problem (how the two can recognize each other) sounds like the way to go. I remember something much like this in Asimov's novel The End of Eternity. In this book one character is trapped in the 1920s USA and in order to send word to his friends from the "future" (they're not exactly from the future as the setup is rather more complicated) he places an advertisement for an investment newsletter, like this:

All the
Talk
Of the
Market

The background illustration to the ad shows a sketch of a mushroom cloud.

It worked. :)

I'm anxious to see your solution, and what dastardly plans Stewart has.