• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fulcrumvale: Yep. I wanted to get in their heads (and thought the readers might like to see) to get a better idea of their motives and clear some things up going into their drive towards Black.

TheExecuter: Yep. We've still a little way to go, but those lights on the horizon would be our runway.

I have mixed feelings about this. It's been over three years since I started 'Resurrection' and it's kinda nice to see that it is starting to wrap up. It's been a real eye opener in MANY ways, and it's nice to know that I CAN finish something this....well, massive.

And yet, Tom, John, Cassie, Black and all the others have inhabited my head for so long, I'm no longer quite sure what to do without them.

Mettermrck: Maybe it can't be resolved. Sometimes you can't be sure what to do, you just have to make a choice and try to make it work.

Chief Ragusa: Cassie is brighter, though she's obviously been down since her encounter with Exeter. Hopefully she'll rally before all is said and done.

J. Passepartout: That's one possible solution, sure ;)

LewsTherin: Hm, something to aim for. Thanks ;)

coz1: Right. Though as you said, John doesn't have to believe it. He just has to go along with it. His hatred of Exeter may let him do just that.

GhostWriter: None of us know who sent Tom. Except Tom. :)

resurrectsmallzq1.gif

-= 221 =-

South Carolina
November 1784

The wintry sky was cold and grey, but thankfully dry as five travelers followed the narrow dirt path soldiers used to go from Columbia, the westernmost fringe of Carolinan civilization, to the wilds along the Cherokee border.

Here the trees, mostly oak, poplar and elm, stood barren, its leaves forsaken clumps of brown littering the forest floor causing the ground to rattle with every breeze, and crackle with every footstep.

Tom led the weary band astride his wannabe destrier, 'Death.' He stared straight ahead, ignoring his companions, intent only on the future and his rematch with Black in Charleston. Their first meet had been a rout, but now everything was different. Tom had a piece of the fallen angel's dark essence as well as that of Wasp Sting. Just as important, he now knew what he faced. If he couldn't surprise Black, then at least Black couldn't surprise him either.

Bast walked at the horse's side, her thoughts also her own. If she had given voice to the lingering doubts in her mind, it would have been equally split between Heyward and the future. She could only guess how much it cost Tom to quell his darker impulses, but in so doing he may have silenced part of what made him human as well. She found him far too distant most of the time, and far too petulant the rest of it. As for the future...she couldn't read it any more than the next person; far too many possibilities surrounding her 'brother.' Still, she sensed disaster and death. For whom?

John came next, wrapped in a dirty saddle blanket. He'd given his coat to Cassie and the baby. He trudged along, head lowered against the occasional gust of wind. Tom found them food to eat as they traveled, but still his stomach argued despite the chill. At first he warmed himself with thoughts of gutting Exeter like a wild boar and watching his lifeblood throb out as he writhed and screamed, but the many miles dulled his emotion and left him ready to find a burrow and sleep.

Cassie brought up the rear, John's heavy coat about her shoulders, Christina bound in a sling across her chest and invisible amidst the thick, grey cloth. She, alone, voiced her opinions the night before: Assent that their bid to stay in Greenville through the winter would probably fail and that Chris needed to be in civilization, uncertainly about working with General Heyward, who at best seemed 'touched,' and terror about returning to Charleston. She knew this day would come, but not so God damn soon. While a strong part of her shared John's desire for slow and lasting revenge, every time she thought of Exeter she could hear his animal growls and her own shrieks, feel his viselike grip on her body and the overwhelming pain, worse than a beating, worse even than labor.

A cough and sniffle roused John from his fog. He turned to see Cassie wiping her nose, then hugging her arms around their bundled daughter.

"Tom!"

Heyward blinked and turned in his saddle. "What?"

"How about letting Cassie ride for awhile? She's exhausted."

She looked up, cheeks flushed, her breath leaving with faint white wisps. "I'm fine, Johnny."

"Don't be foolish, ma'am!."

Sparks flared in her eyes. "Who are you calling...?" She closed her eyes. "Johnny, I'm alright." Tom had already dismounted however and stood, stiff and immobile, with the reins.

Cassie handed John their child and walked to the horse. Death didn't seem impressed. His dark eyes flashed as she reached for the saddle's pommel and he sidestepped into her, nearly forcing her to the ground.

"Cass!"

Tom yanked down on the reins, hard, forcing Death to meet his gaze. The horse wasn't impressed. He was hungry, not in the mood for uncertain riders, and snapped at Heyward's arm.

Cassandra Preston wasn't an inexperienced rider. She'd grown up working in a tavern for her father and so worked with horses, though none so tall. Further, her husband was a cavalry officer and they spent happier days riding in the fields near town. Cassie mounted. Death snorted and reared, and she barely grabbed the reins in time to avoid a painful fall.

Heyward folded his arms while John watched in agonized silence, not wanting to excite or scare either by crying out, as horse and rider battled for dominion. Death wasn't used to light riders and so capered, trying to throw her. Cassie kept her hands low, pulling hard first on one side and the other, forcing the horse into tight turns where he couldn't use his strength and stride to advantage.

"Impressive," Tom said once Death bowed to reluctant servitude and stood, quivering and nostrils flaring. "Very impressive."

John smiled as, for the first time in weeks, he saw triumph flicker in his wife's eyes. "She's amazing." He walked over and offered the baby.

Cassie shook her head. "Keep her, Johnny. I need both my hands, and I don't want to worry about her if I fall."

"If you fall, I'll shoot him," Preston retorted, glaring at Death. The horse seemed to sense the threat, for he turned his great head and contorted his mouth into a credible, toothy snarl.

"Don't be foolish, sir," she teased.

"I would have to resent that," Tom noted. He still hadn't moved, surveying the pair with folded arms.

You? Resent something? That would never happen!

He turned and glared at the orange tabby apparently sleeping on the path.

Cassie usually rode after this, with the two men flanking her and Bast disappearing for hours at a time only to reappear when it was time to build a fire and find something to eat. Mercifully little wind made it through the flimsy forested cover, and though the night time temperatures could be brutal, occasionally the afternoons broke freezing.

In late afternoon of the fourth day the sky turned a darker shade of grey promising rain if not snow. The clouds descended as well, washing the world in a faded grey as if some dark entity leached all the color out of the universe.

"Dismount!"

Cassie jerked at Tom's sharp command. John hissed. "If you want a turn, you just have to ask. There's no need to..." He paused, for Heyward wasn't paying attention. He whipped his head back and forth, narrowing his eyes to pierce the gloom. "What's amiss?"

"Listen."

Death snorted softly as Cass dismounted. John lifted his head, trying to hear over everyone's breath and the sudden pounding of his own heart. Rhythmic pounding, a triple-beat: thump-thump-thump. thump-thump-thump. thump-thump...

"Riders!" Tom leapt into the saddle. The horse didn't appreciate this and wheeled, then lifted his head as well, ears flaring back. He, too, knew what was amiss.

"Over there," John said. Some distance ahead and to the north he saw three shapes steadily picking their way through the forest. Perhaps one saw them, for they heard a shout and the shapes converged.

Tom turned to face them. "Hide."

"Like hell!"

"Not you. Her." He regarded Cassie. "Take a pistol. If a fight starts, open fire."

"I understand." She took her daughter and one of the pistols, then faded into the trees behind them.

Heyward turned to John. "Carolina Guard?"

Preston squinted, trying to make out the shapes. "If so, they won't be friendly. Especially if you're right about the governor...being alive, that is."

"Right." He looked around. "Have you any sign of the cat?"

"Bugger the cat. What's it going to do? Fight?"

Heyward grinned.

"Who goes there!?" challenged one of the riders.

"Travelers!" Tom roared. "Who is that?"

The nearest two cleared the mist and they could dimly make out the blue and white of American soldiers. "My name is Walsh," said the first, a tall youth who'd apparently outgrown his bulging uniform. "Third New York Cavalry. Who are you?" His eyes narrowed at Tom's battered, but still distinctive army uniform.

"You're a long way from home," Heyward said instead. "You're in South Carolina."

"I know where I am, sir," Walsh snapped. "I've asked your name." He snaked his hand surreptitiously towards the pistol at his belt.

John didn't bother with subterfuge. He drew his gun. Walsh's companion drew his.

Looking over his shoulder, Tom saw the others closing rapidly on their position. He raised his hands and lowered them in a simple 'stand down' gesture. "Very well. My name is Heyward. This is Colonel Preston."

"Not any more," Preston muttered.

"Major General Thomas Heyward?" For a moment Walsh paled. "Sir, we have sought you since Philadelphia."

"All this distance for one man?" Tom asked mildly. Two more soldiers appeared through the midst and saw drawn weapons.

One nudged his horse forward, hand on his sword. "What goes here?" Walsh told him and he nodded. "James Kettering, Cornet, Third New York," he said, crossing his hands over his pommel. "Sir, I must ask you to come with us."

"What business does four New Yorkers have in Carolina?" John demanded.

"They're looking for me."

"No, Tom. They're forward scouts. They couldn't have known you'd be here. Before they saw us they were spread pretty far apart, so they were probably sweeping in front of their regiment. It's common, especially when you don't want to be spotted. Isn't that right, Cornet?"

Kettering's face tightened. "You must come with us," he repeated.

"Or?"

Heyward looked down at John and shook his head slightly. Then, to Kettering: "Where are we going?"

"I will take you to Colonel Leyton. He can decide what to do with you."

CatKnight: ...The wintry sky was cold and grey, but thankfully dry as five travelers followed the narrow dirt path soldiers used to go from Columbia, the westernmost fringe of Carolinan civilization, to the wilds along the Cherokee border.

hmmm. it seems that our travelers are going west.

CatKnight: ..."Impressive," Tom said once Death bowed to reluctant servitude and stood, quivering and nostrils flaring. "Very impressive."

awesome ! ! :)

CatKnight:
..."Dismount!"

splendid ! ! Tom's 'radar' is working ! ! :D

CatKnight:
..."Major General Thomas Heyward?" For a moment Walsh paled. "Sir, we have sought you since Philadelphia."

for what purpose one wonders ? ? ;)

CatKnight:
..."No, Tom. They're forward scouts..."

magnificent ! ! John knows his military... :)

CatKnight:
..."I will take you to Colonel Leyton. He can decide what to do with you."

hmmm. cavalry. if they have any spare horses, then everyone can ride ! ! :D

double hmmm. this cavalry can give the Carolina Guard a bit of a distraction, if needed ! ! :rolleyes:

magnificent update ! !
:cool:

I wonder how Heyward will take advantage of this. Will he use the Army for his own purposes, or just make sure that the Army won't interfere with what he has to do?

A great bit there as Cassie and Death battled over supremacy. Just like a hrocse to fight a new rider and you handled it perfectly in the description. You have a way with writing for animals.

As for this latest action, I wonder if they won't actually come in handy when it comes time for the showdown.

That's a happy name for a horse; right out of Revelation. Cassie needs to find herself again after her ordeal.

Tom has now gone into a sarcastic phase. Bast must really be concerend whether he's ever going to be in a fit state to fight Black.

Really, Catknight, couldn't you keep some sense of realism. New York cavalry. I ask you. There are people who can ride in the Northern States?

If Bast doesn't know what to make of Tom, Colonel Leyton's not got a chance.

Preston's still not cottoned on about the cat, has he? From the looks Tom's been giving her, Johnny should know it's no ordinary cat (not that any cat would ever admit to being ordinary).

Last edited:
Mettermrck: An unexpected detour it is...looks like the expected showdown will be put on hold...

maybe, maybe not. the US Army might neutralize the Carolina Guard... (similar to what they did in Virginia) ;)

something that Black may not anticipate ! ! :D

I don't really have anything useful to add...so keep writing!

GhostWriter: Nope, they were heading east. The road goes west to east, tis all :) Perhaps they can ally with the Army? Hmm.

Mettermrck: Possibly. At the least it has a new twist.

TheExecuter: Mull no more. Here you go :)

J. Passepartout: Hm. Define cooperate :)

LewsTherin: Let's find out!

coz1: I don't really know much about horses, except that unless they're especially gentle or well trained they don't like changes like new riders. 'Death' is a bit of a wild thing. He's a true warhorse, and those things were vicious. Cassie needed this victory to start being herself again.

Chief Ragusa: 'Death' has been around before. So has the 3rd New York cav! I mention him twice before then, but we first get a GOOD look at Leyton in chapter 71. (A lifetime ago. Sheesh!)

Tom IS...problematic. John doesn't know about Bast, though he really has to start wondering what the story is with the cat soon.

GhostWriter: Quite possibly.

Fulcrumvale: Okay :)

alex994: The Army is...rather shocked to have found him. Yes, they were looking, but Leyton really had different orders. :)

resurrectsmallzq1.gif

-= 222 =-

South Carolina
November 1784

Colonel Charles Leyton, commander of the Third New York stood in front of a small looking glass, hacking at the lather and dirty blond stubble on cheek and chin with a straight-edge. The candle wavered as a slight breeze took it, trembling as if in fear of the great, heavy drops that pounded at his tent. A lean man in his early thirties, Leyton was dressed in a wool, white shirt his wife made for him and army pants held up by suspenders.

"They're all back but one squad," offered the man at his back. Major Roger Whiteaker stood shorter by a head, with black hair fading to grey. He spread his fingers along the crudely drawn map on Leyton's table. "We stopped four wagons today and control the roads north and west. Columbia's cut off except from the coast."

Leyton glanced at him in the mirror. "I suppose we have two or three days before we have to move on. Who's missing?"

"Kettering."

"We sent him west." Carefully he cut at the underside of his chin. "Indians?"

"Possibly. Should we send a squad to find...?" Whiteaker glanced at the flap as four high pitched trumpet blasts, muffled by the rain, sounded nearby. "That should be them. I'll check."

Leyton finished with his beard and washed his hands in a basin. He wiped his hands on a worn, grey towel and put on his heavy broadcloth coat - more for warmth than any desire for ceremony. He saw no reason to bother with a neck cloth. Being away from command had its privileges.

Whiteaker poked his head in, water streaming from his hair. "Colonel? Cornet Kettering needs to talk to you. We have company."

"I am sorry for the lack of accommodations," Leyton apologized. He leaned back, arms across his chest. Major Whiteaker stood behind him and to the right. "We weren't expecting any of you. Least of all a lady and her babe." He nodded to Cassie, who sat in the only other chair. Christina pulled and twisted at a small stick a soldier gave her for company and kept trying to put it in her mouth.

John glared back and forth. No matter what the governor did, how dare Congress send troops into his state!? Heyward simply watched.

"I have to ask what you're doing so far from civilization. A woman and her child? Even with her husband, there's no town west of Columbia is there?"

"There was, but the Indians destroyed it," Preston replied.

"What happened?"

"What do you think? They butchered who they could and burned the rest along with the town!"

Leyton tapped his map with a knuckle. "Show me."

"Why? So you can loot it?"

The colonel snarled. Major Whiteaker answered: "We are not in the habit of taking from graveyards!"

"Johnny," Cassie whispered. She leaned forward and pointed on the map. "About there."

"Thank you." Leyton made a mark. "So you were heading for civilization when Cornet Kettering met you?"

"Yes," she replied. "We normally live in Charleston, but we were going to winter in Columbia, so if you could let us go there..."

"And you?" Leyton turned to Heyward. "How do you enter into this?"

"I was out for a stroll."

"Really...? Enter!" The last in answer to a scratching at his tent flap and cleared throat.

Kettering came in with Tom's saddle bags. "I thought you'd like to see these, sir. Mostly rations, but two unusual things." He opened one flap, and an orange tabby bounded out.

Adieu!

"Ah.. You travel with a cat?" Whiteaker asked.

"Doesn't everyone?"

Kettering pulled lose a strap and pulled out a rifle with thin barrel and long stock. Cassie's eyes narrowed.

"And that?" Whiteaker demanded.

"A rifle."

"That's too thin to be a rifle. The barrel's built wrong. What type of ball does it take?"

"That's a long story."

"I have time!" Leyton interrupted. He signaled to Kettering. "Thank you." Once the soldier left, he folded his arms. "Well?"

Heyward studied him. "It is a rifle," he said slowly. "Custom built. I'm not sure what caliber of..ball..it takes. I plan to find out in Charleston."

"Charleston?" He glanced at Cassie. "Not Columbia?"

"The lady can stop in Columbia if she wishes. I am going to Charleston."

Leyton grimaced. "As I recall, you're not popular there, General. What business have you there?"

"Personal."

"I'm afraid that's not good enough."

"Why not? Do Americans mind everyone else's affairs now?" Preston spat.

"Johnny..."

"Which leads to another good question," Leyton added. "What business does an American general, wanted in Carolina for treason, have with the commander of the Carolina Guard? One would think they would be fighting."

"We did!" John snapped.

"Oh?" He looked back and forth. "Who won?"

"You would ask that."

"Colonel, what are your intentions?" Heyward interrupted.

Leyton rapped his knuckles on his table, studying them. "Well, you've seen our maps. You and Colonel Preston know what we are at and the lady can guess. If we just let you go, then word might get back to the governor."

"Why would we do that?" John snapped. "We're going to Charleston to..." He stopped and flushed.

"To what, Colonel?" Leyton grimaced. "Ah, I think I can guess. Well, all the more reason then. If you were to move on Governor Moultrie while American soldiers were in West Carolina, people might make the wrong connection. The world would be shocked if they thought we would target an enemy governor and turn on us. The names of my men would go down in history as blackguards."

"Not if you leave," John offered, grinning.

"No, our business here isn't done. To be honest, and I think you would understand this Colonel, I'm rather fond of having my own command. No." He rapped his knuckle again. "General Heyward is due to finish his trial in Philadelphia. While you could possibly do well in our custody, Colonel, I do not think I can subject a lady and her baby to a soldier's life. Therefore, you will all go with him."

"I'm not going anywhere but Charleston!" Preston roared. He lunged forward, but Tom grabbed his shoulder in a vice grip.

"May I remind you," he said softly, "that we are in the middle of an entire regiment?"

"So?" John asked, glancing at him. "Why don't you do your...thing?"

"Thing?" Leyton asked. He glanced at Whiteaker, who'd started to draw his pistol.

Tom smiled bleakly. "Colonel, you're right in saying I can guess what you're about. You're raiding either as a prelude to war, or to convince Carolina their Guard can't protect them and they're better off returning. Either way your strategic goal is the same - to reunite the two countries. Am I right?"

"What's your point, sir?"

"This. Letting us go on our way, or better yet helping us, will bring Carolina back. We have a job to do. Once it's done, Carolina will elect a new governor, and I'm sure he'll be more open to reason. The only problem is the Guard. With your men and Colonel Preston's know-how, the two of you can..."

"What, sir? Attack? By God, the papers were right and you are..." Leyton bit down the insult. "Put my men at your service? By God. I'll be hanged first. Certainly if I accept your proposal!"

Tom lifted his chin proudly. "Is that your final word?"

"It is! Major, we will find quarters for our guests overnight and send them away in the morn!"

Heyward leaned forward and locked his gaze. "Colonel, can I talk to you alone for a moment?"

Whiteaker snorted. "Leave you alone? I'm sorry, General. That's really quite..."

"Leave us," Leyton said softly.

Bast leapt to her feet and hissed.

"Sir?" Whiteaker demanded.

Tom didn't turn. "You two also. Go wherever the Major puts you."

What are you doing!?

"Take the cat."

An hour later Tom stepped into the tent they'd been given for the night. Lulled to sleep by the warmth of the fire just outside, Christina slept soundly on a blanket with a surprising array of ribbons, gifts from her 'captors', tied on and around her.

Cassie looked up from her third bowl of stew. John and Bast both stood, the cat with her fur on end.

"What happened?" John asked.

Tom stared as if surprised to find strangers in his tent. His eyes were a darker hue of brown, the hazel highlights entirely extinguished. He sat on a cot, removed his shoes and stretched out.

"Tom?"

He rolled over and faced them. "Get some sleep. We attack Columbia at dawn."

Yikes! I live just northeast of Columbia, give me some better warning next time so I can pack and leave. I can have my Hyundai ready in a moment's notice :D That conversation had the potential to be soap operatic...Charleston, no Columbia, no Charleston...a cat? I almost felt sorry for the American officer. Still, sounds like some warfare brewing soon here.

151 chapters and Leyton makes a comeback. I even have a hazy recollection.

I found Cassie taming Death most appropriate. And Tom with his poers on a horse named Death is very biblical. Were he accompanied by three other riders the Apoalype will have arrived. Judgement of a divine nature is what he intends to visit on Moultrie.

Our cavalry friends from New York must be from upsate as I was convinced New Yorkers had no idea how to ride. I'm still dubious as to there being enough men who could ride to fill three regiments.

Attacking Columbia is a very good plan. Bast obviously doesn't think so. Tom's done something to Leyton. The Carolina Guard will rush to Columbia. Awaty from Moultrie's control Preston ought to be able to convince the Guard to follow him. That and with what Tom and Bast can do. Black losing the Guard means he's lost the Carolinas. If he does anything, he risks exposing himself as the truly evil b*stard weall know him to be. He'#s got to know that Bast is around from her burning asteroid trick. If he attacks, Tom's defense will be to take them away from the attack. If he's thinking of Jess, he's going to end up back in London just before the bomb exploded.That way he'll end up sending himself back to 1776, with Bast's help. And give John and Cassie a look at a world without the USA.

Bast continues to be an ingenious piece of comic relief. I love that cat.

So I guess, uh...well, Tom did "his thing." Preston seems to be accepting it alright now, I'd imagine.

And yes, I loved Bast's opening line. :D