• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Solmyr said:
[*]Adolf the Unlucky (Friedrich's second son, revealed as a bastard) - Count of St. Gallen
[*]Friedrich the Younger (Friedrich's gay son) - Count of Werle
[*]Hermann the Wastrel (Friedrich's youngest son) - Count of Rostock
[/list]

Just if you want to add some german flavour (not necessary, but would be a cool thing), here are the proper german translations:

- Adolf "Der Glücklose" , if ü is not possible it would be "Der Gluecklose"
- Friedrich "Der Jüngere"
- Hermann "Der Verschwender"

So the old wolf has died, that means swabia shield for Hohenstaufen :D !

Edit: I liked your characterization of old Friedrich, good read :) !

Last edited:
PART V: Hartmann the Unready

HOHEN14.gif

Duke Hartmann, the most powerful man in Germany

With the consolidation of Swabia and Mecklemburg, new courtiers were appointed to important positions on the Ducal Council. The first appointment was Ludwig von Württemberg, a man of 36 and a distant relative to the former counts of Württemberg who were ousted from their lands by the King. Ludwig was a skilled plotter and diplomat; his trusting nature put people at ease, while his ability to lie when necessary made him successful in politics. He was made the realm's Chancellor.

The second appointment was Wilhelm von Rätzeburg, a man from Saxony and a longtime companion of the Old Wolf. Though he was of quite advanced years, his shadowy schemes and suspicious nature made him an ideal Spymaster.

The third appointment was Gozelo von Pommern, a middle aged baron who was widely respected as a wise and knowledgeable tactician. He was made Marshal.

The fourth appointment was a young man named Rudolf von Güstrow, scion of a relatively new noble family from Mecklemburg. His generosity and just nature combined with his ability to seemingly turn anything he touched into gold made him an ideal steward.

For the chaplain's position, Duke Hartmann appointed an elderly martial priest named Arelis of Wolgast. Not only was Arelis somewhat irreverent of existing religious authority, he was also infamous for his lust. What's more, he was a converted pagan from Prussia. All this caused the Church to condemn his appointment, but Hartmann persisted. It looked like the new Duke would have no more respect for the Church than his father, particularly when in December of 1112, he removed the Bishop of Chur and took his lands back for the Duchy.

To be honest, Hartmann saw no reason to listen to the words from Rome. The current Pope, Robert de Hauteville, was a cousin of the Duke of Apulia, and after the Duke's death claimed Apulia for himself as a Papal fief. The European nobility condemned this blatant act of abuse; it certainly did nothing to engender any respect for the Pope.

With the Hohenstaufen family thinning out, Hartmann finally decided to take a new wife. His choice was Cecile von Nordheim, daughter of Duke Robert of Bavaria. The Bavarian court, having recently broken with Germany, became dominated by French culture and traditions, and Cecile was no different. The Duke agreed, and the wedding was held on January 3, 1113. Cecile was a friendly, forgiving woman, and soon turned out to be a wise one as well. Soon, she was expecting a child.

HOHEN15.gif

Hartmann's second wife

Having spent the required time with his wife, Hartmann decided to expand his holdings in the north. Gathering the northern levies, he marched to Danzig, his intent to attack the pagan Prussians east of the Vistula. But his plans were cut short when in June 1113, his vassal Count of Fürstenberg raised the banner of rebellion. King Heinrich immediately sent an army of his own in a blatant attempt to grab more lands. Unwilling to abandon his northern campaign, Hartmann sent word for the Swabian armies to conduct the war against Fürstenberg.

In the north, Hartmann marched on the Prussians, but had misjudged their strength. Meeting a force double his own, the Duke suffered an ignominious defeat in early August, losing almost his entire force. It was fortunate for him that a power struggle was going on between the heathen chiefs, and he was able to make a white peace with the high chief, who was having troubles of his own. From that time, the Duke became known as Hartmann the Unready.

In Swabia, the war went considerably better. In October, Fürstenberg fell to the armies of Swabia and King Heinrich. Though the King wanted the county for himself, nobody recognized his claims on it, and thus Hartmann was able to absorb it into his Duchy. The rebel count was sent to exile in Chur. To forestall unrest from other vassals, Hartmann granted the counties of Wolgast and Chur to his two bastard nephews, both named Eberhard.

Hohenstaufen family life was picking up again as on December 28th, Cecile gave birth to a daughter who was named Gerberga. Of course, not everyone was as rational. Wilhelm, bastard son of the late Duke Rudolf Rheinfelden of Swabia, was also living at the Swabian court, and had become quite notorious for his mad schemes and babblings.

HOHEN16.gif

Wilhelm the Insane

The year 1114 passed mostly quietly as new roads and tile factories were built. In November, Hartmann attempted to extend his protection to the counts of Besancon, Aargau, Neuchatel, and Plauen, but was refused by them all, as his prestige was not that great after his recent war. It did not help that he employed recently converted Prussians as his advisors. In May 1115, his spymaster Wilhelm von Rätzeburg died, and his replacement was one Ekkelis of Wolgast, a notorious schemer and webweaver.

Also, in February 1115, Hartmann's bastard son Konrad, known as a friendly man, went insane from unknown reasons. However, many said that insanity ran in the descendants of Rudolf Rheinfelden, and there was fear that Hartmann himself and his descendants would go mad as well. Whatever would happen, it would seem that the Hohenstaufen's own curse would not relent. In March 1116, Cecile died as she was trying to give birth to a child. Hartmann's plans to sire a son who would have a claim on Bavaria were thus brought to naught.

The Duke did not relent. Now looking to Italy, he asked for the hand of Paola, daughter of Duke Amedeo of Milano, and was given it soon. Paola was soon pregnant, and in January 1117 she gave birth to a son, Hartmann's second legitimate one, who was named Adolf.

HOHEN17.gif

Paola, Hartmann's third wife

Meanwhile, in March 1117, King Heinrich the Greedy finally died, and his eldest son Otto of Aargau, already known as Otto the Lazy, became the new King at Württemberg. Hartmann, the King's neighbor in Ulm, spoke his vows of fealty, though there was no love lost between the two. Otto himself, already of advanced years, had no surviving children (thanks to Hartmann's father, the Old Wolf), and his only heir was his grandson Konrad - also the grandson of Hartmann. The standoff situation in Germany continued.

HOHEN20.gif

King Otto the Lazy

In July 1117, marshal Gozelo von Pommern died of old age. Trying to appoint the most qualified candidate, Hartmann chose his chaplain, Arelis of Wolgast, as the new marshal. Arelis took up his new duties gladly, and for now the chaplain's post remained open. At this time, Hartmann seemed to have found some piety in himself. He sponsored the acquisition of religious scrolls for the libraries and made donations to the churches. Still, his piety went only so far, and he never took any major steps to perform atonements that the clergy called for.

In August 1117, Hartmann's bastard, Konrad the Mad, finally finished his education, displaying a penchant for mercantile pursuits. Though his mind was gone, Konrad was a peaceful, kindly person, and his madness took docile forms. Hartmann decided that he would eventually give him a county to rule, regardless of protests from the clergy and the nobles.

In December, Hartmann's younger brother, Count Hermann of Rostock, died from illness and depression, leaving only bastard sons. Rostock reverted to Hartmann, and was soon given to Konrad as its new count. The strong Hohenstaufen presence in the north helped spread the German culture and the Catholic faith among the Pomeranians and the Wends.

HOHEN19.gif

Konrad, Hartmann's crazy bastard son

In March 1118, Hartmann accepted the services of a new chancellor, Albrecht of Ulm, who was a friendly, honest, and charismatic man. The former chancellor, Ludwig von Württemberg, was given a manor in the Schwaben Alb for his retirement.

On June 26th, Hartmann and Paola were again blessed with a son, named Baldewin. On the next day, the Pope died. The new Pope's ascension once again became shrouded in scandal. The elect was one Hallgarir, a Swede who was bishop of Avranches. It was suspected that he was an adherent of Catharism, and was even excommunicated for it, but the corrupt Cardinals in Rome seemed to be concerned only with their own aggrandizement. Even though the farce lasted less than a year, Papal prestige was irreversibly damaged. In January 1119, bishop Burchard of Piombino was elected the new Pope, but he could no longer restore the church's unity.

HOHEN18.gif

The Cathar Pope

Feelings became tense in Germany once more when in August 1118 King Otto raised the scutage on his vassals to extreme levels, demanding every last mark they had. Loyalty plummeted across the realm, though nobody rebelled yet. Hartmann was distracted in September, when Duke Amedeo of Milano died. Though he was succeeded by his son, Hartmann was able to make a legitimate claim on Milano on behalf of his sons Adolf and Baldewin, who were Amedeo's grandchildren. The claim would surely prove useful in the future.

In October, the new castle in Ulm was completed. It was called Löwenburg, as befit the foremost fortification in Swabia. The next year passed in relative peace, and on September 1, 1119, Paola gave birth to her third son, who was also named Adolf because Paola liked that name. Hartmann, happy with his wife, did not object. Indeed, he was soon making new plans for the advancement of his house...

This is really a good read. I mean, most would have reloaded after losing the battle for prussia and would have set themself in the best (faked) light, makes the story even better, because it gets the real historical feel with all its setbacks. As already mentioned in another post, I like your characterizations of the main characters, I thought while reading:"That poor hunchback, please give him a county!"...and then you give him one and I say "Yes". Keep it going...

Ps.: Did you have to change the shields or was it automatical when Hartmann inherited? Finally the original Hohenstaufen CoA! (also such thing contribute to a good story, to make it even better)

I have to agree with Duke of Saxony, a great read. Your are giving live to these characters.

To be honest, Hartmann saw no reason to listen to the words from Rome. The current Pope, Robert de Hauteville, was a cousin of the Duke of Apulia, and after the Duke's death claimed Apulia for himself as a Papal fief. The European nobility condemned this blatant act of abuse; it certainly did nothing to engender any respect for the Pope.

And the epic struggle between the Hohenstaufen and different Popes seems not to far away allthough it will be a hard task to get their Italian lands.

Oliver Guinnes said:
And the epic struggle between the Hohenstaufen and different Popes seems not to far away allthough it will be a hard task to get their Italian lands.

Thank you! I knew that I had forgotten something quite important, thats the special Hohenstaufen church relationship :) , which seems also to influence this game ;) .

Last edited:
A good update as always!:) But why do you call Hartmann "the Unready"? He seems quite good at things after all.:confused:

Great update! Great AAR! I'll wait patiently for the next update.

Personally, I think that a powerful, Barbarossa type Emperor and his dynaty would eventually try to ensure the leadership of all Christendom and the defeat of all infidels, and hope that you do the same, going for a EMC (Euro-Mediterranean Conquest). This is great fun.

Duke of Saxony: Not sure which hunchback you mean. I only remember one, Konrad, who is Hartmann's grandson and the next heir to Germany; he is also still a kid. The Konrad who got Rostock is Hartmann's bastard son.

About Prussia, it was actually me misjudging the troops I needed for the attack. Turned out the Prussians could muster twice the men I had up north. And I never reload to recover from losses like that. ;)

On changing shields, I simply set the autosave to monthly, waited for Friedrich to die, took note of the day on which he did, reloaded the last autosave as Hartmann, and triggered the death event for Friedrich on the same day he died previously. A little reload/event trigger is easier than editing the save game to change primary duchy. ;)

Oliver Guinnes: Yeah, the Imperial-Papal conflict is brewing. The fact that there has been some weird stuff going on with the Popes in this game gives some justification for it. :D

Nikolai: I give rulers the nicknames I think they might be called by other people in the game world. So Hartmann earned his nickname early and it stuck with him. :)

Personguyfellow: I only want piece. :p

Solmyr said:
Duke of Saxony: Not sure which hunchback you mean. I only remember one, Konrad, who is Hartmann's grandson and the next heir to Germany; he is also still a kid. The Konrad who got Rostock is Hartmann's bastard son.

Oh I see, my mistake, damn. Sometimes I´m a little confused :wacko: . Well he´s mad thats fine with me too ... :eek:o . I better leave now, and get some sleep.

Solmyr said:
While you are waiting for my next update, here is a page I made to keep track of my rather sprawling family. ;) It will be periodically updated as family members die and new ones are born.

Ahh, thanx. That´s a true relief, at least for a certain confused Duke :D . BtW, Solmyr you´re working too much, take yourself some rest (judging from what I see over there in the mod forum--> good work!), that means after posting several new chapters on Hohenstaufen Family :eek: ... ;) .

Last edited:
This is a great AAR! I love all the ups and downs and personal quirks. And Konrad, the Crazy Bastard Count, made me smile. Was he really the most qualified of your many realations for that county, or did you grant it to him just for your own personal gratification?

Deaghaidh said:
This is a great AAR! I love all the ups and downs and personal quirks. And Konrad, the Crazy Bastard Count, made me smile. Was he really the most qualified of your many realations for that county, or did you grant it to him just for your own personal gratification?

Both, kinda. My personal demesne was getting a tad too big, so I had to grant land to someone. And so far, both Friedrich and Hartmann favored their family (even illegitimate) above others. At the moment, Konrad was the only adult Hohenstaufen court member I had available. :D (some of my more distant relatives have migrated to other European courts for various reasons - there are some in Kleve, Hamburg, and even Devon)

Your tale of the Hohenstaufens continues in glory to the second generation! Very well done, although I admit I reacted squeamishly to Friedrich's assassinations. Harmann appears to act more scrupulously.

Not that it matters in game terms, but I was pleased to see, finally, some young women who actually look attractive! Cecile would be nice with a smile, and Paola is a real beauty. Let's tap into her gene pool some more. On the other hand, the Konrad you showed looks like one of the three stooges.

jwolf said:
On the other hand, the Konrad you showed looks like one of the three stooges.

He seemed to me just what I'd expect a jolly mad count to look like :D Maybe I was subliminally reminded of the stooges

[howard dean scream] YEEEAAAARGH!!! [/howard dean scream]

As I started to play last night, I noticed that whenever I tried to save the game, it CTDed. Nothing seemed to help, not even a clean reinstall. Finally, after a hour of biting fingernails and gnashing teeth, I located the problem in the save file and was able to repair it manually and save without CTDing. Good thing I keep a copy of the save file now. ;)

So, it was a close shave. The obstacles the Hohenstaufen must overcome on their path to kingship... :D Anyhow, look for a new chapter later today or tomorrow. You'll be thrilled to know that Konrad the Crazy Jolly Bastard managed to get a son to inherit him, while his namesake, Hartmann's grandson Konrad the Hunchback, landed himself a good but... "interesting" wife. :D And wait till you see Hartmann's other bastard... And jwolf... ahem... :cool:

Oh yes, jwolf is right, Paola is absolutely gorgeous. I would marry her if she had stats 0-0-0-0. Heck, I would marry her if she had a negative google in everything. (I mean in real life. Not game life. In the game I would just marry her to some count guy and have a running affair with her producing several mad gay illegitimates). I assume of course that Paola is secretly a nice Jewish girl, brilliant, witty, and outspoken. And 3-D.

I am still getting this game, but I would have preordered if not for these glaring flaws:

Ai doesn't build.
Ai doesn't fight properly.
No force vassilizing.
Dead heretic popes on the volga.
Infidel refugee courtiers.
Papal controller must empty his court.
Catholic control of Orthodox bishoprics.
No same religion culture changes.

When they fix these, tell me. But for now, I have followed literally every single AAR on this forum, read every single last post. I have to say this one's among the best.

Oh yes, and worry not. The Hohenstauffens will still inherit in Milan. They will still inherit in Bavaria. They will inherit in Thuringia, and Brandenburg, and Provence. They will inherit in Swiss! They will inherit in Norfolk! They will inherit in Anjou, Aquitaine, Barcelona, Ulster, Norrland, and Wielkopolska! Apulia! Braganza! Bergenshus! Skane! Ile de France! And then they'll marry into the Ducas dynasty, and restore the empire!

Solmyr said:
[howard dean scream] YEEEAAAARGH!!! [/howard dean scream]