• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Solmyr said:
There is a red beard possible, some of my distant relatives already had it, but none from the royal line. :) Except for one of the sons of the Old Wolf.

redhead.jpg

Well this is about as far as you can go the "redhead" + "redbeard" way imo... (Courtesy of the DNA maker) And I would have prefered a more redish texture.

Elias Tarfarius said:
Make them independent! No more WC!!! :rofl: Anyway, your strategy of obtaining every Christian kingdom by marriage is far more interesting. ;)

Now, you should return to the Palestenian crusade... provide Fredrich der Grosse Barbarossa becomes king of Jerusalem. Have you had in redheads yet?

I agree; release the Steppes from your iron grasp; there is no need for the Holy Roman Empire to hold such lands! If only you could grant them to your Brother-in-Law, the King of Rus.

Shaytana said:
redhead.jpg

Well this is about as far as you can go the "redhead" + "redbeard" way imo... (Courtesy of the DNA maker) And I would have prefered a more redish texture.

No red!!! I'm not buying CK now!!! :mad:

just kidding! :)

Oh well, a Fredrich der Barba-burntsiena will have to do.

Wasn't red hair a sign of witchcraft in some Middle Age cultures, any way? :eek:

Henry v. Keiper said:
Wasn't red hair a sign of witchcraft in some Middle Age cultures, any way? :eek:

Well, yes, but witch-wizard-kings are all the rage, my Pechenegs can assure you. ;)

Great work, and I mean both, your game and your writing. It's hard to wait for the next update!

Great AAR - Nice speading of the German Culture!
So, how's it going with the Kingdom of Jerusalem? Oh, and when does the Papal Curia finally get.... how shall we say, reorganized to properly acknowledge the power of the Holy Roman Emperor? :D

Still going strong, especially after taking out the Hordes. Nice work. And when will the d'Ardennes ever learn not to mess with the Stupor Mundi? I like how you keep giving it to them whenever they present an issue. Nice bit of roleplaying.

Draco: Actually, most of the Cuman steppes converted under Vencel's rule, and so are now Hungarian. :p

And fighting in the Holy Land progresses slowly but surely. It's a bit of a chore though, chasing down all those Fatimid armies that wander all over the place, especially since I like keeping a single large army. :D

coz1: The d'Ardennes are pretty much finished now. Even in Norway, their ultimate heir (an assassination or two away) is a Hohenstaufen, even if he is from the dissenting Lorraine branch. :p

My newest nemesis appears to be the French King, who is poised to inherit one of my more important dukes (Lombardy/Argyll/Lothian). But at least one of my vassals has inherited Burgundy from him. ;)

EDIT: And oh yeah, Leopold's grandsons (by his second son Wilhelm) are about to inherit the kingdom of Poland... ;)

Perhaps there will be a Hohenstaufen on every Christian throne by 1453. :D

Last edited:
Oops! My oversight 'bout Vencel :wacko:
I can understand the tediousness of chasing around after a foe that doesn't understand that it's job to stand, fight against all odds, and fall to the swords of your army. They just don't understand that it's for the greater good, eh? :rofl:

"Perhaps there will be a Hohenstaufen on every Christian throne by 1453. "

We all know the "perhaps" in that is not needed. ;) Oh wait.....no my mistake...you can't put a Hohenstaufen on the throne of Ethiopia... :D

Draco Rexus said:
I can understand the tediousness of chasing around after a foe that doesn't understand that it's job to stand, fight against all odds, and fall to the swords of your army. They just don't understand that it's for the greater good, eh? :rofl:

Actually, most Fatimid vassal armies stand just across my border, shaking their weapons and making scary sounds. It's the few armies that have been defeated several times and have no morale to speak of that continue running around my provinces and trying to besiege them, only to run again as soon as my army enters the same province. :D

Ah, so they're playing the role of the irritating mosquito, eh? ;)
Well, the only solution to that is the patient application of a nice carefully organized ambush by superior numbers.... that or a massive onslaught to take over your enemies lands. :D

Don't end this lovely AAR just because of a new patch!:eek: Just copy your CK folder and install 1.03 separately.:)

PART XVIII: Stupor Mundi

The warlike Leopold wasted no time in gathering his armies for a new crusade. In August 1247, Imperial forces advanced into the steppes, making war on the Emirate of Turkmens. Advancing in a steady campaign, the central Rus cities held by Muslims were liberated in late 1247 and early 1248, with Minsk, Lyubech, and Ryazan welcoming their German liberators. For the next two years, the Turkmens were steadily pushed back, and in November 1250, the Imperial army was in the lands beyond the Caspian, where the Turkmen Emir had fled, his last stronghold in Usturt falling. The Empire now practically controlled the entire western steppe, and Leopold crowned himself King of Bolgar.

Leopole spent six months back home, but in August 1251 he again set out on a military campaign. This time, his target was the Holy Land, much of it still held by the Fatimids and their subject sheiks. The crusade started with the attack on Jaffa, which fell in October. For most of the rest of his reign, Leopold would remain in the Holy Land, fighting the Saracens with great success. The long war would see the capture of Cairo in January 1255; the creation of the Templar Order and its pledge of fealty to Leopold; the rebellion of the Hospitallers Order and its subsequent suppression; the capture of the holiest city of Islam, Mecca, in summer 1255; the capture of Damascus a year later; and the final breaking of Saracen power in the Holy Land with the capture of Edessa in December 1258. With total victory achieved, Leopold, less reverent than his father, crowned himself King of Jerusalem and Arabia on Christmas Day of 1258.

HOHEN83.gif

Battle against the Fatimid Caliph

HOHEN85.gif

The Zirids were spotted performing some ancient Jewish tricks on the Red Sea...

Back home, there were two important inheritances and one family problem. In late 1252, Duke Manasses of Bourgogne died. His son Raoul, already the count of Altmark, retained his fealty to the Empire, and thus Burgundy was brought into it fully, much to the displeasure of the French. The second important inheritance occurred in summer of 1255, when the old King Idwal of Scotland died, and was inherited by his grandson, Leopold's nephew Almos.

HOHEN82.gif

Almos I, King of Scotland

But all was not well for Leopold. Back home, his wife Vseslava was discovered to have committed adultery with a minor noble. Enraged and true to his cruel character, Leopold sent the order to have his wife beheaded in September 1254.

In December 1257, another event occured that would forever ensure the Hohenstaufen dominance. The old Emperor Rurik died, and Leopold's son Rupprecht inherited his maternal grandfather's throne. With the end of his crusade, Leopold, already in his fifties, died from a brief illness, and on February 20th, 1259, with the two Imperial thrones reunited under him, Rupprecht was crowned Roman Emperor. The Hohenstaufen were now truly STUPOR MUNDI.

HOHEN86.gif

Rupprecht, Ruler of the World

HOHEN87.gif

Imperial Germany, Italy, and France

HOHEN88.gif

Imperial Cumania and Bolgaria

HOHEN89.gif

Eastern Imperial possessions

-------------------------------------

With this update I do indeed finish this AAR. I am eager to try out 1.03 and it is pretty obvious that the Hohenstaufen rule the world already. :D I hope you have all had a good time reading this. Look for a new AAR from me soon. ;)