• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Solmyr said:
Ahem, well, my games tend to incorporate user-made mods for more historical correctness. Hence I edited most everyone in Germany to have Semisalic inheritance (which is historically correct). ;)

Btw, someone should make a Habsburg AAR. The Habsburgs were my neighbors for a while, until their ignominious expulsion by the King (who put his eldest son in Aargau). :D

Ah, that explains the inheritance then :)

I started taking notes for my Habsburg game and was going to do an AAR - after about thirty years things were going well, I'd arranged to inherit Schwyz and to have a cousin leading another county (not my control but still a Habsburg which is good enough for me). Then, the Kingdom of Germany began to break up as usual and I just got annoyed with the game. The total break-up was down to the King going to war with the first vassal that rebelled, calling up a ton of other's troops but then not moving any at all (including his own). Very annoying - hopefully ai improvements in 1.03 will not only improve the muslims but make the Kingdoms survive longer too as they'll actually fight against rebellions. I've put the game aside until 1.03 when I will more than likely do an AAR as Aargau.

Aargau is clearly very appealing to the King of Germany though, he asked me for my land several times ;)

Well, in my game, Germany survived it's break-up. France fell apart at the same time, and the King of Germany managed to survive by conquoring much of southern France. The Kingdom of Germany right now in my game consists of southern Germany, austria, switzerland, sothern France, and northern Italy. They've managed to maintain about the same level of strength, but their vassals have migrated.

I do agree that we need a smarter AI, though.

Bodders said:
Aargau is clearly very appealing to the King of Germany though, he asked me for my land several times ;)

Yeah, Aargau was the first county he revoked in this AAR. Since ol' Heinrich tends to have plenty of sons but only one county, he starts revoking lands from his vassals indiscriminately to give to his sons, which causes the eventual collapse.

Solmyr said:
Yeah, Aargau was the first county he revoked in this AAR. Since ol' Heinrich tends to have plenty of sons but only one county, he starts revoking lands from his vassals indiscriminately to give to his sons, which causes the eventual collapse.

I think that's only a small part now the ai doesn't do the revoke/grant/revoke again trick that it used too. I thnk it could cope with the loss in loyalty from an occasional 'revoke' if it actually crushed rebellions quickly, with the change to badboy making defensive wars cost less. The big problem is rebellions lasting for years because the ai doesn't attack but has vassal armies sitting around all that time - that's the main cause of the loss of loyalty, not revoking.

Part III: The Old Wolf

The family's dynastic troubles did not end with the death of Adelaide. In the beginning of 1094, Douce de Longwy, wife of Friedrich's son Hartmann, also died in childbirth, leaving him with only his son Heinrich. Hartmann also went into mourning, having little interest in other women. Friedrich, however, was convinced by his advisors to remarry, and on December 6th he married Cecile, daughter of Count Guy of Besancon. She was soon expecting a child, and hopes were raised for the Hohenstaufen.

HOHEN08.gif

Friedrich's second wife; he was not known to pick his wives for their beauty.

Friedrich's eldest, the bastard Albrecht, was for a long time staying in Mecklemburg, but finally the Duke decided to give him a county as well. Albrecht was invested with Wolgast in April 1095, taking his wife and childred there with him. Rulership may have proved too much for him however, as he soon became quite stressed and nervous.

The Hohenstaufen family soon saw new members. In December 1095, Cecile gave birth to a daughter, named Hildegard in honor of the Duke's deceased mother. In March 1096, Friedrich's son Rupprecht came of age, and became infamous for his naivete and deceitful nature. Nonetheless, he was given Rostock to rule. A few years later, in April 1098, Cecile gave birth to another daughter, Mahaut, who however died in September due to poor health, but another child was expected soon, and arrived in June 1099, a baby girl named Gerberga. Sadly, Cecile died in labor in April 1100, and Friedrich did not remarry anymore. Other family misfortunes plagued Friedrich as well. His younger daughter Amalberga, wife of Antoon of Gelre, died in childbirth after giving her husband only two daughters. Friedrich's fourth son, Friedrich the Younger, told his father that he was interested in other boys more than girls. Though this upset the Duke somewhat, he refused to disown his son, and even gave him the county of Werle to rule.

HOHEN12.gif

Friedrich the Younger, the Duke's gay son. Doesn't he look effeminate?

Friedrich's creation of his bastard and gay sons as vassal counts did not endear him to the Church, but his other actions positively infuriated the clergy. For several years he increased the power of the burghers in his towns and cities, hoping to promote trade and culture. He built roads and tile factories, prohibited clerical abuses of peasants, opened church squares to commerce, avoided donations to the church, and discouraged his children from getting too involved in religion. All this irritated the clergy to no end. Even the Bishop of Sticht, when someone mentioned Friedrich in his presence, let loose a stream of some very un-bishoplike words which greatly discomforted the women nearby. Fortunately, Rome was still in the throes of its latest corruption scandal, and the Pope had more important things to do than excommunicate the Duke.

HOHEN09.gif

Hartmann, Friedrich's oldest son.

On the political arena, Germany was descending into deeper and deeper quagmire. The Dukes of Bavaria and Brandenburg, having had enough, declared war on King Heinrich, and lesser counts just waited for their opportunity to do the same. Still Friedrich and his son Hartmann kept their duchies loyal, though Friedrich also did not stop any nobles from joining the war against the King, refusing to confiscate their fiefs when it was demanded of him. The year 1103 saw another increase of Hohenstaufen power, as Friedrich's grandson, Hartmann's son Heinrich inherited the duchy of Upper Lorraine upon the death of Duke Thierry de Longwy. The Hohenstaufen now ruled three duchies.

HOHEN10.gif

Heinrich, Hartmann's son. He inherited the Hohenstaufen chin and the Rheinfelden nose.

In December 1103, the first Hohenstaufen castle was completed in Mecklemburg. It was named Wolfenburg, and Duke Friedrich himself was already becoming known as Der Alte Wolf, "the Old Wolf", for the predatory ruthlessness with which he grabbed lands and claims for his family and eliminated his rivals. Indeed, he had already manufactured claims on Ansbach and Anhalt, both held by the King, and Heinrich was now too afraid to do anything to upset the Hohenstaufen.

Hohenstaufen family life continued with mixed fortunes. Hartmann still refused to marry again, and Friedrich, while he took a wife, was uninterested in sharing his bed with her. Back in January 1102, the bastard Albrecht had hanged himself from too much depression, leaving only a child, Jauguttis, to rule in Wolgast. In June 1103, Rupprecht had also died, and his county of Rostock reverted back to Friedrich along with Rupprecht's two bastard sons, of which the older, Leopold, died from illness two years later, while the younger, Lothar, was sent to a monastery to study.

In March 1107, Friedrich's grandson Heinrich of Upper Lorraine came of age, and made another strategic marriage for which the Hohenstaufen were famous. He married Alberade, daughter of Otto of Aargau; and Otto was the eldest son and presumed heir of King Heinrich. However, things were not quite so easy this time. Otto had two sons, Johann and Bruno, and an elder daughter, Ermengard, who was married to the count of Vas. But Friedrich set about this business with his usual ruthlessness. In June 1107, Ermengard was thrown from her window by an unknown assaillant, and in April 1108, Johann suffered a fatal accident on a mountainside in the Alps. Obvious traces led back to Friedrich, but by now Germany was too fragmented for anyone to retaliate.

Konrad, Friedrich's first great-grandson, was born in February 1108 and stood third to inherit Germany, after King Heinrich's son Otto of Aargau and Otto's son Bruno. In May 1110, Friedrich's second son Adolf, the count of St.Gallen, was revealed as a bastard. Though Friedrich knew this to be false, having witnessed Adolf's birth himself, the Church seized upon and confirmed it, in revenge for Friedrich's impiety. Friedrich's elder daughter Maria died in May also, though she gave her husband Eberhard of Lausitz several sons. Moreover, Alberade of Frankonia, wife of Heinrich of Lorraine, also died in childbirth in June of that year. It seemed that the Hohenstaufen men were cursed to see their wives die young. By this time, Duke Friedrich was the most feared and the second most hated man in Germany.

When it became known that Konrad was born with a hunched back, many said that it was a curse from God for the Old Wolf's evil actions...

HOHEN11.gif

Young Konrad the Hunchback, future King of Germany...

HOHEN13.gif

...of which there might not be much left by the time he inherits!

Last edited:
Zuckergußgebäck said:
You mean that there is a ctually a 'homosexual' trait?

Man, I must get CK!(seems to be so much detail)

There isn't, unless you count the Chaste trait and low fertility (which is used to simulate Richard the Lionheart's homosexuality in the 1187 scenario). And I'm using LUCKS, which features a "your son is gay" event written by yours truly. Now it has come to bite me in the arse. ;)

A hunchback as possible future king, a gay son, several bastards, Solmyr what did you create :rofl: ? Seriously, I like your gameplay stile, which seems to be much more a really historical one, meaning gainig influence through great marriages and not using every exploit that the game may have to conquer the whole continent. The old man also has a great-grandson now after such a long and succesfull life, cool thing.

Ps.: Congrats for passing the 1.000 post mark in such an honorable way, as soon as I have the game, I´ll try to assist over there in the mod forum

Last edited:
Duke of Saxony said:
A hunchback as possible future king, a gay son, several bastards, Solmyr what did you create :rofl: ?

I seem to get these dysfunctional families in my AARs. :p
I'm more interested in what my great-grandson will look like when he is an adult. It seems the Hohenstaufen chins and noses grow with every generation, at this rate Konrad will have his nose and chin touching each other... :D

Seriously, I like your gameplay stile, which seems to be much more a really historical one, meaning gainig influence through great marriages and not using every exploit that the game may have to conquer the whole continent.

I'm not interested in the whole continent, just the HRE, maybe Jerusalem, and maybe putting my relatives on the other royal thrones. ;)

BtW its "Der alte Wolf" not "Wolfen" thats the only critic I have ;) ... at least for now :D .

Fixed. I wasn't sure which it was. :)

Solmyr said:
I seem to get these dysfunctional families in my AARs. :p
I'm more interested in what my great-grandson will look like when he is an adult. It seems the Hohenstaufen chins and noses grow with every generation, at this rate Konrad will have his nose and chin touching each other... :D
I'm not interested in the whole continent, just the HRE, maybe Jerusalem, and maybe putting my relatives on the other royal thrones. ;)

Solmyr, you´re way too quick for me ;) . Thanks for reminding me about commenting about this nose, and the chin. Oh oh I´m so happy that just the upper part of the human body is shown, I don´t even want to know what the lower regions would look like :D , given your skills in mixing the gen pool.

Ps.: good goals for the game by the way, if you fullfill them my praise is secure

Duke of Saxony said:
Solmyr, you´re way too quick for me ;) . Thanks for reminding me about commenting about this nose, and the chin. Oh oh I´m so happy that just the upper part of the human body is shown, I don´t even want to know what the lower regions would look like :D , given your skills in mixing the gen pool.

Well, I didn't pick wives for their looks, as you've surely noticed. ;)

Solmyr said:
Well, I didn't pick wives for their looks, as you've surely noticed. ;)

Thats a serious understatement :rofl: , but we all have to do things we don´t like from time to time and here its the best example for suffering for your state :D . How long the old wolf is going to make it, I really wonder... I´ll drink another wine in the crusadaAARr (ok its the monarchs :p) inn and will wait patiently for the next chapter of the story ;) ...

Oh my...you could realy need some advice from my firm "Pimp & co" when it comes to wives, but I might be out of my waters with this case, I'll contact a expert, Elite-Pimp but i'm afraid that it might be too late for you :)

Great AAR! Gay event...Pimp event...yes the possibilities...

I love this AAR; its making me want to get this gave more and more. As it stands I'm going to have to play my first two games as either a ruler of Ireland or Germany!

I think you need to start looking for wives based on looks, or your going to have some really ugly kids coming up :) Good luck on ruling what remains of Germany if it comes to that; it would be a shame for you to finally get the coveted throne and for it to be nearly worthless to you. Still, even if Germany is a bit of a rump, you can be the dynasty to rebuild it AND rebuild it in your own way! :)

PART IV: End of the Wolf

The last two years of Friedrich's reign passed almost quietly. In late 1110, he gave the county of Rostock to his fifth son Hermann. Hermann, though foolish in financial matters, nonetheless soon managed to find a good wife for himself - Margaret, daughter of King Stefan of Sweden, who was from the important Zähringen family of southern Germany. Early in 1111, Jauguttis of Wolgast, son of Friedrich's late bastard son Albrecht, died young, leaving only some bastards, and so Wolgast again returned to Friedrich's control.

In summer of 1111, Bruno, the only surviving son of Otto of Aargau, was found poisoned. Though some suspected Friedrich's hand once again, there was no evidence at all. Now the young Konrad was the first heir to Otto, and through him to the Kingdom of Germany. Also in 1111, Friedrich managed to secure another good match for his family. His daughter Hildegard, having come of age, was given in marriage to Robrecht, son and heir of Duke Jan of Provence.

The next year and a half passed quietly, though Friedrich grew more and more irascible and selfish in his old age, prone to outbursts of anger and tormenting of servants and family members, though such moments usually passed quickly. On November 11th 1112, he was having a fit of temper over some imagined impropriety committed by Gisela, one of his yet unmarried granddaughters, when he had a stroke. Within an hour, the Old Wolf was dead, having flatly refused to see a priest to absolve his sins. His son Hartmann, the Duke of Swabia, was now the most powerful man in Germany.

-----

(a quick wrapup covering a couple of years, to be continued quite soon with the new Duke ;))

I already feared that you´re game was over again due to some unknown reason and you didn´t dare to say so, because of fearing the wrath of angered readers :D . Keep the story going man ;) !

C.N. said:
Keep it going! A report of who of your large family control what at this point might reduce reader confusion.

Briefly:

• Hartmann (Friedrich's oldest son, whom I am now playing) - Duke of Swabia, Mecklemburg, and Pommerania
  • Heinrich (Hartmann's only legitimate son) - Duke of Upper Lorraine
  • Adolf the Unlucky (Friedrich's second son, revealed as a bastard) - Count of St. Gallen
  • Friedrich the Younger (Friedrich's gay son) - Count of Werle
  • Hermann the Wastrel (Friedrich's youngest son) - Count of Rostock

These are the only family members ruling lands. More detailed descriptions to follow soon. :)