• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nov 26, 2002
www.neuralhq.com
Hi guys,
Made a 1st pass a total conversion of the faces used in portaits. Started on the female part. This part was mainly done just to make sure everything fits etc. Still pretty rough but here's how it turned out so far:
facemod1.jpg

As you can see I changed the faces to be looking out rather than to the side, just a personal prefrence really but I think it came out pretty nice.
The final mod should be complete in 3-6 days depending on how much time I have to polish it.

Let me know whats yas think.
Cheers,
Myros

Damn, I was going to do the same but my copy of CK won't arrive for a while yet..

I congradulate you and bow to my future rival :D

I was going to raid all the portrait painters of history for face bits myself. The vanilla CK portrait bits often don't work with each other and often just look horrid from what I can see..

Looks damn nice though!

Solmyr said:
Bah, it's fun to have butt-ugly rulers. :D

I don't mind having some ugly characters but there are very few who have a decent looking nose - most of the noses look too big for the faces. :eek:

To be honest I think its quite hard to make people look attractive in profile - its just not how we're used to seeing attractive people!

Still, the full face lady at the top his this tread just looks scarey to me :)...

Solmyr said:
That's why you marry small-nosed girls. :p

The AI is too smart - it grabs up all the small nosed people before I can get to marry them. :( :D

If you use this tool and just pick any face and hair etc. and then go through all of the noses you will see what I mean. Surely there could not have been that many bad looking people in the middle ages - else how would we have turned out so good looking??

Look at the pictures of the effigies on tombs and you will seldom see a nose as ugly as most of the ones in the game. Admittedly the sculptor had incentive to make their work more handsome than their RL subjects.

The woman shown at the start of this thread is perhaps too nice looking - maybe just a bit too perky for her "official" portrait. A more solemn demeanor would be better IMHO.

Keep up the good work. The more different the characters in our game look the better I like it.

Now if we could just get them to age as each decade goes by...

You're doing that too?

Great! I say the more the merrier :) One comment though, I would humbly suggest you not make them smile (most medieval portraits don't have their subjects smiling as it was a 'serious' period). The noses of the current portraits look like Zucchinis and any change would be great!

Best regards,
Richmond

Here is the beta of the females cleaned up and ready for download. Ohh lots of ugly combinations are possible .... went through about 20 counties just checking what they look like and some really made me cringe lol.

Personaly I like smiles, though not all have smiles ..just personal prefrence and Im making this for me mainly ;)

Anyway if you want to try it out feel free, dont forget to backup your "potrait" folder before installing these bmp then if you hate it you can just copy the originals back.

http://www.neuralstudios.com/work/face_mod_ladies.zip

I'll get started on the males sometime this weekend.
Cheers,
Myros

Richmond516 said:
... most medieval portraits were 3 quarters view not full face forward. And it does show the nose up better :)

I agree, I would urge him to stick with profile views. Full face views get pretty monotonous after a while, because there is far less variability. In profile views different shapes of forehead, nose and chin show up, while only cheekbone shape affects full-face portraits. They just don't have as much variety.

Let's use the graphic mod forum for graphic mod... ;)

Cat

When it was confirmed that the character portraits are moddable I wondered how long it will take until someone make an "18+ only" character graphics mod.
Looking at the lady at the top of this thread assures me that work is already halfway done ;).

horragoth said:
When it was confirmed that the character portraits are moddable I wondered how long it will take until someone make an "18+ only" character graphics mod.
Looking at the lady at the top of this thread assures me that work is already halfway done ;).

The original Pdox files can easily be made 18+ already. Just replace the testface_fem_misc.bmp with the dark_fem_ears.bmp or another blank file. The female heads have details that are absent in the male versions :)

Has this project stopped? Are there any other projects to enhance portraits? And how about adding some headdress for both molem and christian women?
Not all moslem women were wearing the full veil in that time.

Also, i'd like to see more moslem men with traditional turban and more military chain coif like head gear for both moslem and christian men. But the coif would be odd for religious people. Hmm.. Maybe only turban for some moslem men hair.

Here are some moslem women who have their faces and necks open.
ZUBDAT2.JPG

The full veil was adopted by moslem women in the later periods. But they still had a light head scarf to cover the hair similar to orthodox women.
ul171.jpg

miniature2.jpg

Last edited:
This one depicts Gulshah killing the enemy of her lover. This one is quite intersting in giving us an idea of armed moslem women riding horse. (Although not very common i believe)

im8.jpg