• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Doing it twice a year sounds about right to me, and making more an event of it. Three or four times a year is basically the turnaround you were trying to do last time, and we saw the interest dry up, so best to cut it back a bit. Also I suggest you switch around the way you decide who is going to participate to the first 4 completed written pieces you receive, rather than the first 4 people who say they want to participate. That would avoid the situation where people commit and then don't submit.

Or alternatively, simply publish all submissions which fit the topic and word length criteria? :huh:

I like it, Mr. C. Great idea! You want to run it, or should I? With the ideas offered on how to progress, I was just thinking of a good way to get us going again and this is a perfect time to do it.

I like it, Mr. C. Great idea! You want to run it, or should I? With the ideas offered on how to progress, I was just thinking of a good way to get us going again and this is a perfect time to do it.
I will admit to being rather busy as always, so if you have the time you can run out. If you don't I can always step up.

Very well. Mr. C gave us a great topic and many have offered great suggestions on how best to proceed. Thus, let us embark on a new round! Very much liking Mr. Ebbesen's direction on guidelines, here it is:

Topic: Horror

Length: No more than 2,000 words

Time Frame: Two weeks. Must be submitted by Oct. 25th

Restrictions: Must be based within one of the four main Pdox game timelines, EU, HoI, Vickie or CK. Leaves it pretty open, so have fun.

I will post the first four completed submissions I receive by the deadline and withhold the right to include more if there is sufficient reason to do so. This is a bit different from how we have done it in the past, but I agree it is likely a better way to handle such. You can send me a PM if you have any questions or wish to suggest your interest, but I will be using full submissions to determine who gets in.

To all submitting, please send me a MS Word attachment to my email - alhurd73 at gmail.com and make sure to include your forum username. Please include any and all Pdox forum coding in your work. Soon after I will post the submissions and give a potential roster of who these writers might be. Let's see if we can bring back the guessing part of this project. ;)

On the subject of how many rounds a year, I am still considering this point but there will definitely not be another until 2015. Take the chance while you have it. :)

I am hoping we can see a resurgence with this round and as always reception will give an idea towards future rounds. Let's have some fun.

So who's in? :D

Boo! Hiss! :p

Why on earth require the use of the Microsoft format for submissions that are expected to contain their own formatting using the forum's markup language, when a plain text file with ascii, unicode UTF-8 or UTF-16 would do?

Fight the man! :D

And if the use of a more complex format is wanted anyway to keep it simpler for you by setting a common standard, why choose Microsoft's proprietary .doc format rather than the OpenDocument text format .odt that is readily available on all platforms?

Now, conversion tools to MSWord .doc do exist, of course, and are integrated in many other word processors, but it is always a fight between Microsoft introducing changes to its format and the makers of other software reverse engineering the changes to be able to handle them when converting to or from the format. Conversely, Microsoft when including OpenDocument support in MSWord have the full specification to work from.

Actually, that gives me an idea for a horror story, but that's beside the point. ;)

Because it is easier for me, Peter. Is this your way of signing up? ;)

Because it is easier for me, Peter. Is this your way of signing up? ;)
Nope. The only way to sign up is by sending you a completed MS Word attachment. :p

Which might or might not happen. You just caught me in a "why the hell do people insist on trying to turn Microsoft's proprietary standard into the standard for things that derive absolutely no benefit from it" mood. :D

Nope. The only way to sign up is by sending you a completed MS Word attachment. :p

Which might or might not happen. You just caught me in a "why the hell do people insist on trying to turn Microsoft's proprietary standard into the standard for things that derive absolutely no benefit from it" mood. :D
I am sure you are right, Peter. But I am reminded of Phil Hartman since Jan Hooks just passed away (I am sure neither would mind if I used this joke) - I'm just a simple cave man. These modern conveniences alarm and confuse me. ;)

I am sure you are right, Peter. But I am reminded of Phil Hartman since Jan Hooks just passed away (I am sure neither would mind if I used this joke) - I'm just a simple cave man. These modern conveniences alarm and confuse me. ;)
If modern conveniences confuse and alarm you, why ask for that new-fangled MS Word format for text processing, surely a modern convenience if ever there was one, rather than 8-bit ASCII text? That is all that is needed given we use the forum markup language. ;)

Okay, I'll stop it now, but your joke almost required a one-up. I'm afraid mine isn't up to the task, but it was the best I could make on the spur of the moment.

Very well. Mr. C gave us a great topic and many have offered great suggestions on how best to proceed. Thus, let us embark on a new round! Very much liking Mr. Ebbesen's direction on guidelines, here it is:

Topic: Horror

Length: No more than 2,000 words

Time Frame: Two weeks. Must be submitted by Oct. 25th

Restrictions: Must be based within one of the four main Pdox game timelines, EU, HoI, Vickie or CK. Leaves it pretty open, so have fun.

I will post the first four completed submissions I receive by the deadline and withhold the right to include more if there is sufficient reason to do so. This is a bit different from how we have done it in the past, but I agree it is likely a better way to handle such. You can send me a PM if you have any questions or wish to suggest your interest, but I will be using full submissions to determine who gets in.

To all submitting, please send me a MS Word attachment to my email - alhurd73 at gmail.com and make sure to include your forum username. Please include any and all Pdox forum coding in your work. Soon after I will post the submissions and give a potential roster of who these writers might be. Let's see if we can bring back the guessing part of this project. ;)

On the subject of how many rounds a year, I am still considering this point but there will definitely not be another until 2015. Take the chance while you have it. :)

I am hoping we can see a resurgence with this round and as always reception will give an idea towards future rounds. Let's have some fun.

So who's in? :D
A reminder that the deadline for submission is the 25th. Since we are doing it a bit differently this time, it is difficult to gauge interest for the round but certainly understandable given the guidelines that folks will want their full two weeks to work on their entry. Hope we see some good turn out, both from writAARs and critiques. :)

A reminder that the deadline for submission is the 25th. Since we are doing it a bit differently this time, it is difficult to gauge interest for the round but certainly understandable given the guidelines that folks will want their full two weeks to work on their entry. Hope we see some good turn out, both from writAARs and critiques. :)
We did get 100+ views on the announcement!

We did get 100+ views on the announcement!
Divide that by the 1+the number of replies in the rulesmongering between me and Coz1 to cut down the number to something probably closer to the number of viewers. :D

On the announcement? There are no replies.
Curses, foiled again. I hadn't noticed that official announcement because I ignore those on the grounds that they are almost invariably of the "Paradox would like to sell you more stuff" variety and thus a waste of my time and thought you were referring to Coz1's post in this thread. :)

Now I've seen everything: an actually useful use of the announcement feature.

Curses, foiled again. I hadn't noticed that official announcement because I ignore those on the grounds that they are almost invariably of the "Paradox would like to sell you more stuff" variety and thus a waste of my time and thought you were referring to Coz1's post in this thread. :)

Now I've seen everything: an actually useful use of the announcement feature.
You realize in AARland we've been using them to announce awards for quite some time now, aye?

You realize in AARland we've been using them to announce awards for quite some time now, aye?
No, I didn't realize that, but thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I have not been following AARland on more than a very infrequent basis since a few months after the release of the original Crusader Kings, and as I have never cared much about awards, well, I had little reason to discover it.

Dang it! I didn't notice the new GtA until now! :( :p

Dang it! I didn't notice the new GtA until now! :( :p
Apparently you were not the only one. The deadline has come on gone, and I am very sad to say there was not a single submission. Back to the drawing board, folks.