• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Author 1:

I liked this tale. I don't know if the passages from the Qu'ran are correct, but they sound like they might be. I am somewhat surprised that the Imam was so kindly, but then I don't know exactly how the muslims worked their conversions all that well. Hamza is a hard man, in a hard time. I wasn't all that shocked that he had made sure that the city was fully 'converted' in the manner he chose. This, to me, seems a more likely choice of conversion for the times. But then, considering that there are rifles, and Istanbul is the name of Constantinople, I would have to guess that this happens in the 1700's. Maybe even the 1800's. Either way the reaction of the kindly Imam when he realizes what Hamza has done, seems so different than anything I have ever read or heard of 'modern' imams. But again, it was a different time.

I think this is well written and flows well. Although short, it doesn't 'feel' chopped up or disjointed. If I had to guess I would say that Chief Ragusa might have written this, for the research into the language, the quotes, and the questions Hamza asks the various people are quite excellent. I could be wrong about who wrote this, but the quality is quite good.

I enjoyed this story, even the bloody end, which you only 'hear'. Instead of showing us what happens, we infer it from the clues given us by the author. I like that.

Author 2:

Obviously this is the result of quitting and reloading a game when a conversion fails. I have often wondered if the 'people' within the game would notice and what they might say during such things. This story has answered it. Each vigniette was short and pithy. The humor is obvious, but you have to love the frustration of the missionary, which is the face for the poor player who keeps failing the conversion and keeps reloading to finally get the result they wish.

The form of the conversations is basic, no quotation marks or anything like that. Unfortunately, there are more than a few people who write with this style, so I cannot begin to guess who wrote it. I also like the Chief's sense of deja vu and his final capitulation. It is humorous and I often wonder if conversions in real life happened because people were just hoping to shut the missionaries up for awhile.

Either way, I enjoyed this story.

Author #1
I don’t honestly know that much about that era/culture, so a hurried short story like this is a little harder for me to get the grasp of. Particularly the names and titles. Certainly the scene would have worked better as part of a larger story in that respect where there was time to better explain the setting. Certainly the writer has a good grasp of the culture and religion, so perhaps some research has been put into writing this (something I tend to shy away from myself). In all, a good story, with good flow, and the ending reinforces the harsh methods of past history.

Author #2
Very original style, done in a format us AAR readers are very familiar with on these forums. Discard with the heavy literary value, that’s not what this one is about. This is an AAR dressed up as a Guess The Author. As a gamer I could feel for the missionary. By the fourth reload I could almost hear his fist smashing the computer table in frustration. I don’t know why, but I want to say Coz1 wrote this one.

Eagerly anticipating the remaining submissions.

Author #3

The women tittered from a few feet away, chattering in their native tongue. Bjorn rubbed his beard and sighed heavily. No doubt they were discussing the scars they could see on his face and arms. Scars from the pox he had survived as a child years before. Those self same scars had plagued him all his life. He knew he was hideous. Many women had told him so. It made him decide as a young man to travel to the new world to seek his fortune there in the wilderness. Perhaps with a fortune he could convince a woman to marry him.

He shook his head and turned back to the man sitting across from him, “Mingan, I have brought many steel knives to trade for the furs.”

Mingan fingered a few of the knives and hissed in pain as one cut his finger, “They are very sharp.”

“Indeed,” Bjorn nodded in agreement, “They will make your lives easier.”

“Do you have…..guns?” Mingan inquired softly.

Bjorn shook his head, “No. They would take up far more room than I have, plus their expense is far greater than the knives. I doubt you could provide enough furs to pay for them.”

Mingan frowned, “I will trade for the knives, then.”

The deal took little more time to complete. In a few hours Bjorn had moved miles northward on his way back to Fort Wayne. It had been a profitable trip, as well as the last one of the season. It would be only a few days before the snow began to fall and make travel impossible.

The chill in the air deepened as the sun began to set. Bjorn set up his camp and settled in front of his fire. He chewed slowly on his dinner as the fire crackled and popped. A rustling in the bushes behind him made him turn quickly. A snout peered out at him, the dark eyes bored into him.

A brown bear padded out and growled at him. Bjorn fumbled at his pack and pulled out his pistol. A single shot weapon, he pointed it at the beast and sat ready to see what the animal would do. It snuffed and snuffled, growling again. It slowly moved forward, gingerly moving it’s right fore paw.

Bjorn’s hand shook as he took aim at the creature.

“Get out of here!” he shouted, “Go on! I have nothing here for you!”

The bear roared, its mouth opening wide as it made an awkward charge at the man. Bjorn fired point blank into the bear’s chest. It bellowed in pain as it tore into the man. Bjorn screamed as the claws tore into his arms and chest. Flesh tore from his left arm as the bear gnawed on it. Bjorn thrashed, his hand grabbing hold of his own knife. With strength born of desperation and terror he thrust it into the beast, over and over again.

His frenzied stabbing fortunately encountered the bear’s heart, tearing it asunder. The bear continued to tear at Bjorn before finally collapsing on top of him. Bjorn grunted and groaned, but he could budge the beast from atop him. He moaned as he felt the first flakes of snow fall onto his eyelids. The air turned even colder as his wounds continued to bleed.

He fell unconscious to the sound of wolves howling in the distance. He awoke to the feeling of the bear being moved from on top of him. He peered blearily up to see men hauling the bear off somewhere. Snow still fell, and he couldn’t seem to see very well. A face swam closer to his face, it was Mingan.

“You are lucky to be alive, Bear Killer,” he chuckled, “It looks like you will add a few more scars to the many you already possess.”

Bjorn coughed, “I think the bear has killed me as well, Mingan.”

Mingan laughed, “Nonsense! A man who has as many scars as you will not allow a few scratches from a bear to kill you.”

Bjorn closed his eyes, “I doubt that.”

He fell unconscious again, only to awaken inside of a wig wam. A beautiful woman was dabbing some horrible smelling unguent on his wounds. He groaned softly, which made her look up at him and smile. Her brown eyes were soft and sparkled with an inner light. Her long black hair fell like an obsidian wave down her back to her waist.

A flap opened and Mingan stepped inside. He noted the look on Bjorn’s face and smiled slightly.

“I see you are awake finally.”

“Apparently I am going to live,” Bjorn smiled wanly, “Lucky me.”

“Lucky the Gods were with you,” Mingan nodded.

“I don’t believe in Gods,” Bjorn muttered, “nor God, for that matter.”

“They believe in you,” Mingan replied, “You were out there under that bear for at least a day, perhaps two.”

Bjorn frowned, “I should have frozen to death.”

“The bear kept you warm,” Mingan shrugged, “ The Gods must love you.”

“How so?” Bjorn coughed, “Water, please.”

The woman looked to Mingan who rattled off his request in their language.

She handed him a gourd full, which he drank greedily, “Thank you.”

She nodded and went back to her work.

“They kept you alive.”

“By sending a bear to kill me?” Bjorn snapped, “That was just plain bad fortune.”

“But you killed the bear,” Mingan reminded him, “Which kept you warm during the snow fall.”

“I wouldn’t have needed the bear to stay warm if it hadn’t attacked me,” Bjorn shook his head, “The next morning I would have been half way to Fort Wayne.”

“Through nearly a foot of snow?” Mingan cocked his head slightly, “I don’t think so. It’s still snowing. I doubt you had enough supplies to make it all the way to your fort.”

Bjorn sighed, “Perhaps. How long was I unconscious?”

“Four days,” Mingan replied, “I am sure you are hungry. Mist on Water has prepared a broth for you.”

Bjorn tried to sit up, only to groan in pain.

“Lay still,” Mingan ordered,” She will feed it to you.”

“I don’t want to burden her with my ugliness,” Bjorn demurred, “I just need a little help to sit up and I will feed myself.”

Mingan laughed, “That would insult her.”

Bjorn frowned in puzzlement, “What are you talking about?”

“She won the right to tend to you,” Mingan informed him, “She out bid eight other women. It would be a terrible insult to refuse her help.”

Bjorn shrugged, wincing in pain, “I don’t understand, but if it will make her happy… I suppose I have no objection.”

Mist on Water did feed him. She also changed the dressing on his wounds and bathed him. He tried to make her understand that he didn’t wish her to bathe him, but she wouldn’t take no for an answer. It was a few weeks before he was able to get up and about on his own.

When he did, he stepped out into deep snow and bone chilling cold. He went in search of Mingan, whose dwelling was near by. Finding the other man inside carving the likeness of a bear into a piece of wood he sat down and waited to be noticed.

“Mist on Water wishes to bond with you,” Mingan said softly.

Bjorn goggled, “You must be joking!”

“Have you ever known me to joke?” Mingan inquired.

Bjorn shook his head, “Actually….no.”

“She believes you are a mighty warrior,” Mingan continued.

“I’m no warrior,” Bjorn objected.

“You have many scars,” Mingan shrugged, “You have survived much in your life.”

Bjorn laughed, “Oh, I have. But not battles.”

“The scars,” Mingan looked at him quizzically.

“It was a battle of sorts,” Bjorn admitted, “Not with a human foe, but just as deadly. It killed many of my people.”

“I see,” Mingan grimaced, “She wishes to bond with you…..”

“You’ve already mentioned that. But you must know that I’m a Christian,” Bjorn frowned, “At least I was baptized a Lutheran.”

“I don’t know what a Lutheran is….But she will not convert to your Christianity,” Mingan retorted firmly.

“It’s a kind of Christian,” Bjorn sighed, “Not that she ought to marry me, anyway.”

“That isn’t your decision,” Mingan chuckled.

”Excuse me?” Bjorn exclaimed, “I didn’t ask her to marry me.”

“It doesn’t work that way in our culture,” Mingan smiled, “The woman makes the choice.”

“That’s crazy!!” Bjorn shook his head in amazement, “It’s just not done that way.”

“You white men think that there is only one way to do things,” Mingan grinned, “It is such arrogance that we have found grating at times. You, however, have never tried to lord it over us. Nor act like you were better than us, yet you have the same ridiculous ideas as other whites.”

Bjorn opened his mouth to respond. He closed it as he paused to think.

“Why would she want to marry a white man?” Bjorn asked.

“I told you, she believes you are a mighty warrior,” Mingan reminded him, “Your scars proclaim you as such.”

“She….likes my scars?” Bjorn stared at him incredulously.

“Haven’t you noticed that some of the most heavily scarred men have the happiest bondings?” Mingan inquired.

“Not in my country,” Bjorn sighed.

“You carry badges of courage and honor all over your body,” Mingan informed him, “You are a walking, talking, living monument to courage.”

Bjorn shook his head, “That’s just plain odd.”

“How so?” Mingan inquired, “Being able to survive such obvious adversity and persevere proves courage, tenacity, and the will to survive. All considered attractive features to a woman. A man who can and will provide regardless of the obstacles….Well, that is something a woman looks for in a man.”

Bjorn sat there and thought for awhile. He remembered all the ridicule he had suffered in his native Sweden as a boy and young man. From both male peers as well as girls. Women turned away and wouldn’t look him in the eye. Yet here, in the hinterlands of America the women looked boldly into his eyes. Mist on Water had done so, and he remembered the women giggling as he spoke with Mingan about the furs.

He had thought they were making fun of him, but perhaps….just perhaps they were intrigued by him instead of horrified. It was a novel thought for him. One that he began to think just might be true.

“I’m not really a warrior,” Bjorn reminded him.

“You killed a bear,” Mingan said calmly, “with little more than a knife. With just a knife you killed a creature both larger and stronger than yourself. If that is not a warrior’s spirit I don’t know what is.”

“A warrior’s spirit,” Bjorn marveled, “So you say your gods believe in me, eh?”

“Perhaps you should go on a spirit quest,” Mingan suggested.

“Spirit quest?” Bjorn inquired.

“A man goes into the wild and survives alone while he waits for a vision from the gods,” Mingan explained, “A dream, if you will. One that shows you what your totem animal is to be. A spirit that looks out for you and guards you against evils.”

Bjorn frowned, “While I was unconscious…..”

“Yes?” Mingan leaned forward slightly.

“I dreamed,” Bjorn admitted, “of a bear. Of course, having been mauled by one, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.”

“What did the bear do?” Mingan asked.

“It led me to water,” Bjorn frowned, “and caught a fish, tossing it onto the bank of the river.”

“Then what happened?” Mingan prodded.

“It left.”

“It appears you have already had your spirit quest,” Mingan smiled.

“What are you trying to say?” Bjorn demanded.

“Don’t you see?” Mingan exclaimed, “The bear attacked you in real life to keep you from leaving. The bear in your dream led you to water. It led you to the water to drink and caught a fish for you to eat. The bear is your totem.”

Bjorn grimaced, “Couldn’t I just have a simple dream telling me to stay here?”

“Would you have listened to such a dream?” Mingan queried.

Bjorn shook his head ruefully, “Probably not.”

“So it took a mighty battle to keep you where you belong,” Mingan shrugged his shoulders, “It is the way of the gods.”

Bjorn shook his head, “It sounds crazy….yet I can’t explain my dream any better than you did. It doesn’t make sense for me to have such a dream after being attacked…..”

“So you will stay?” Mingan looked into Bjorn’s eyes.

“I will stay,” Bjorn agreed.

Author #4

We were hungry, so we all gathered together to hunt for lastmeal.

The sun was almost completely gone by the time we set out, but our eyes could see equally well, whether it was light or dark.

Our pace was slow, for we could not fly like some of our kind can and our bodies were too big for running. We had just reached the second plain of the mountain we lived in, when Gerthi told us, "There are pinkskins below us."

Traga crawled forward and looked over the edge.

"Yes. There are eight pinkskins. Six armors and two robes. They ride on neighflesh."

"Neighflesh?!" cried Werki, who was young and foolish, "I must have it! It is my favorite!"

Before we could stop him, he leapt off down the mountain, jumping off the cliff to the valley below. Our cries proved to no avail, and it was not long before we heard the shouts of pinkskins and the clang of swords.

All too soon, we smelt blood and the stink from robeherbs as we saw the flash of lightning and listened mournfully to Werki's dying screams, a sound so terrible I still hear it when I sleep.

"We must bury him before the pinkskins tear his flesh off for money and armor" said Gerthi after a while.

"Yes. Perhaps they will let us do so if we do not attack", replied Traga.

And so the three of us went down to the first plain and finally into the valley. We were already too late, for the pinskins had ripped Werki's skin off and there was only dried blood and bones, for they took off much of his flesh as well.

We wept in silence over the small Werki's body as we dug into the earth, digging a hole to put his body in. Our hearts broke as we covered the youngling with the dirt and said our prayers to our god for his soul, for though Werki was a fool, the young ones are always like this.

We slept and when we awoke, we planned revenge. Other pinkskins had traveled through the valley and many of them chose the same place to sleep in. We did not think they would be different, so we went to Pinkskin Camp.

They were there, sitting around a fire and talking.

We attacked.

In the surprise, we killed the two robes, for their skin was soft and exposed. Five armors grabbed their swords and began attacking. We started to bleed and to lose, pain in my body and in Traga and Gerthi's, for our teeth were useless against the armors.

Then the warmth in our bellies grew and we were able to attack back. Lightning flashed from Traga's mouth to burn the skin of one armor and fire sizzled from Gerthi's mouth to badly wound a second armor. My own mouth put the green smell that clings to all living things and kills them on another armor.

The three fell back, but the fourth armor stayed attacking. He stabbed his sword in Traga's neck and Traga's scream was a deathscream. Gerthi cried in fury and leapt on the armor, trying to tear the fleshy head from the pinkskin's shoulders.

I wept, for Traga was a brother to me. I wished that we had not come, as the smell of our blood attacked my nose and made it hurt more than anything else could have.

"Do not weep, noble one. Your coming here was fate."

It was my own language and in a soft voice. I opened my eyes and through my tears, I saw a woman pinkskin armor, with black hair and a face that other pinkskins think beautiful.

"The world is in great danger, young one and it needs saving. You could be a hero, one of the greatest of your kind. Will you join us to save the world?"

Her words soothed me, as did her fingers on my head. I was cold and hungry. I knew very little of the world, for I was not much older than Werki had been. Go with the pinkskins? It sounded foolish to me.

I looked to the right and saw that Gerthi, too, was dead. The woman's words kept me from hearing his scream. My heart broke again and I wept for him, so that I did not care when I saw the fourth armor running towards me with his sword. I welcomed death. I could go to my friends and to our god. Better that than to live with pinkskins.

The woman shouted at the man in their language and he fell back, lowering his head.

"Come, gentle creature. Join us to save the world."

I looked at the bodies of Gerthi and Traga. Three of us had died so soon. What good would my dying, too, be? Maybe in living, I could make things better for my kind.

"Yes. I will join you. But you must bury Gerthi and Traga and do not take anything from their bodies."

"Welcome to our army then, great one. It shall be as you wish. What is your name?"

"Kertha", I answered.

"Then welcome, brave Kertha. Together we will save the world."

The woman's lips touched the top of my head and all at once, I could understand what the pinkskins said to each other. The fourth armor came over with a smile, putting his hand on the woman's shoulder.

"Good work, Vanessa! We can use a dragon to fight with us!"

Author 1: First the generalities: Well done! I think you captured the mood of a forced conversion nicely. I tend to agree with earlier commentators that Hamza's 'attempt' seems more believable than the imam's. Christian priests were no more understanding - the 'conversions' of the Teutonic Knights are particularly appalling to modern eyes.

I suppose much depends on what century this piece takes in.

The various quotes of the Quran (I assume they're accurate) were particularly impressive, though I was a little surprised someone with Hamza's temperament put up with the debate. Still, it was a great way to compare and contrast their ideologies.

Little things brought me out of the story. The handshake, for example, is decidedly western IIRC. "A balding man..." being obviously the imam. The smile being 'too wide' for his face.

The imam thought he'd need 'thirty or forty years' to complete the conversion. Um...does he plan to be there that long? In middle age? That's very far sighted planning.

Overall there were a few moments that brought me out, as I said, but I liked the tone and feel of the place. Well done. Our writer is almost certainly a Brit (he wrote 'honourable') so I'll also go with Chief Ragusa.

Author 2: Hm. Well, given I absolutely despise reloads it'll be hard to be neutral about this one.

It was funny! I especially liked the Prince of Wales being the "God in Waiting." It certainly made sense to me!

It's hard to argue for what would seem reasonable etc. with something intentionally absurd and written as pure dialogue, so we'll leave it at that.

Author 3: Hm. I hope the Great Spirit never sends me a wake up call in the form of a bear!

I liked this one a lot. First we have a reversal: A baptized Lutheran and self proclaimed atheist being 'converted' to spirit worship and a new way of life. Bjorn is very well developed, from his self-consciousness about his scarring to his incredulity that a woman would be interested in him.

One thing really threw me out of the story, and that's the mention of Fort Wayne. Do you mean Fort Wayne, Indiana? If so, it won't be called that until 1794 at the earliest. By then the local (Miamis) Indians are pretty well defeated, and it'd be strange (though by no means impossible) to find a Swede named Bjorn out there.

A few minor nitpicks:

The air turned even colder as his wounds continued to bleed.

He fell unconscious to the sound of wolves howling in the distance. He awoke to the feeling of the bear being moved from on top of him.

The wolves are a nice touch, but I'd either omit them as unneeded, or move them to the last paragraph (after 'continued to bleed.') You're beginning a new statement and line of thinking with his awakening.

I'm not too sure the Native tribes would call their spirits 'Gods.' (At any right, it wouldn't be capitalized.) IIRC it's usually a 'Great Spirit' and all sorts of lesser..uhm..spirits.

Those are minor nits though. I really liked Mingan's final conversation with Bjorn, and it made sense why he would want to stay. Good job!

Author 4: One thing crossed my mind as I read this piece.

The dragons in your world REALLY suck.

Not only can these four not fly, but for a supposedly advanced species their tactics and resolve are pathetic. Further, after achieving complete surprise they lose a straight-up battle.

The first is neither here nor there, the latter is awfully hard to swallow...at least without more development explaining why these dragons aren't so hot compared to what we'd expect from other literature.

Werki's mistakes are those of youth, and make sense. What happens next is harder for me to accept.

Having agreed upon revenge, they come upon another group of 'pinkskins' sitting around a fire and talking. They attack.

Uhm...why not wait until the pinkskins are sleeping and out of their armor?

So we kill the 'robes' - magi I assume, and the fighters rally. Now would be a good time to retreat and employ wolfpack tactics, but the dragons go toe-to-toe anyway. It takes time for their breath weapons to come into play (Why!?) and still they only kill one and wound two before being defeated.

Now Vanessa begins her 'conversion.' Uhm...why did it succeed? Why would Kertha want to go with her? If she thought she couldn't win, then why didn't she retreat?

In her recent experience, the pinkskins are evil. They've killed her three friends. Werthi was butchered. Why would she possibly trust Vanessa? This rings completely false with me.

And why did her own people let her get away with it?

The fourth armor came over with a smile, putting his hand on the woman's shoulder.

"Good work, Vanessa! We can use a dragon to fight with us!"

'Fourth armor' is taking the death of three of his comrades and serious injury of two more AWFULLY well. That's nearly half killed and nearly three-fourths wounded! No anger? No bitterness? Not even sadness and regret? Just a 'kudos' for getting a dragon to fight with them? A dragon they easily defeated and so cannot be worth much when it comes to 'saving the world?' I have no clue why fourth armor is happy.

Sorry, author 4. I can't buy your premise. Interesting writing however, and nice try. I think you might be more comfortable in the third person vs. first however.

Author #3: It's always very hard to handle personal motivations in a short piece, and even harder to do without simply telling the reader. It's hard to tell just how convinced Bjorn is by any of this, or how much of his 'conversion' has to do with finding a wife rather than a genuine faith. It's a very understated tale, forcing the reader to read between the lines and make some assumptions. That can be a powerful writing tool, but it can also be confusing. In this case, I think you straddled the two but came out on the side of being intriguing: I'd like to see the rest of Bjorn's conversion - this feels like only a teaser.

Author #4: I had no idea the contest was open to fantasy; I learn something new every day! An interesting vignette; it's hard to do justice to alien perspectives, but I like the use of conjunctions like 'neighflesh' and the lack of explanation for things like 'fire in our bellies' to help make them seem different but understandable. As a criticism, this is a very one-sided tale: the dragons seem relatively passive, weak and apparently fearful of humans - not exactly normal for fantasy. Our protagonist even seems to have the moral high ground, which only makes the humans seem even worse monsters. In a longer story this could be used to show contrast with Kertha's later understanding of the world, but in this short story it seems a little too two-dimensional.

Author 3:

Hm....that IS an unusual conversion. I suppose I could see why Bjorn would decide to stay with the natives rather than go back to civilization, such as it is. Although considering the time frame, were women as likely to judge men on looks as they do today? I just don't know, but I suppose it is theoretically possible.

I see the point about the wolves, but I think they show the wildness of the time and the fact that unlike today, the area wasn't all cultivated or 'civilized'. I liked this story, but there is something about it that bothers me. I can't put my finger on it, though.

Author 4:

I have to agree. I was surprised to find out that the protagonist and his buddies were dragons. I also agree that these are pretty wimpy dragons. Why not roast the metal clad pinkskins and then peel the bodies out of their shells? Plus, how weak is their dragon scales that mere swords by just a very few or even one pink skin can mortally wound them?

I cannot imagine how these 'dragons' could be of any help to the pink skins. The concept is imaginative and interesting. But the whole idea of dragons being that weak turned me off of this. Not the fault of the author, other than the dragon weakness. The idea of intelligent creatures that are converted by humans is a time honored one in fantasy. It wasn't a badly written story by any means. The perspective of the dragon was intriguing. But the end result of it being a dragon really ruined it for me. Otherwise it was a pretty good story.

ATTENTION, GTA AUTHOR WHOSE USERNAME BEGINS WITH F

I'm giving you a couple more days to finish your entry. However, if you will definitely be unable to complete it, please let me know immediately. AND, clean out your PM box! :D :D

:mad: ;)

... by the way, thanks all for your comments so far! Our readers are the folks who keep GtA alive. :)

Author #5

Life was simpler, in the old days.

Before I had caved in to the will of the masses; before I had destroyed my way of life and reshaped it in the image of those around me. Before I surrendered myself. Perhaps, you say, this is an exaggeration; no, you contend, wagging fingers and furrowing brows, do not make so much of all this! Self-pity? Is that what you call it? Do I insult myself in order to hear the reassuring praise of others? But that is incorrect, friends; when my ego is hungry I will insult my writing ability, or perhaps my appearance (I’m gaining weight again) or lament the lost friends of my past (though now it seems she wants to talk to me again). Those are the fields in which you might reassure me, nurse my wounded self-absorption back to health.

What I am talking about now – my capitulation to conformity – that is more painful because it is real. There is no consolation. It is a bit like slavery; from the first dreadful moments of morning, when my weakness haunts me most, taunting and crushing the spirit until it is satisfied – to late evening, when it returns for the last time, a sudden aftershock. Call it what you will. Earthquake metaphors seem indeed to be appropriate.

“Try it once,” they said. “Try it once and you won’t have to again. We just want you to know.” To know what? “What it’s like.” Sounded fine by me. I am generally supportive of knowledge, and there is no better way to acquire new learning than through experience. You see – in one sense I may have argued myself into it, may have been just as much a problem as they were. But with its influences all around – let’s not kid ourselves – there would be no escape. Sooner or later, I would find myself entangled in this sort of addiction. Might as well make it sooner.

The funny thing is, I don’t even like the taste.

But that, so my mother says – yes, she supports the habit – is a problem of the modern trend. Strange metallic taste, we agree, and then the stomach issues. But it is a chemical dependency, so really where I procure my fix matters little, and the taste buds’ opinion even less. The taste is not the object for me, as it is for my dear mother.

“Where I come from, things are very different.” (She comes from Turkey.) “Of course, we take it in much smaller doses, and slowly, to let the taste and smell soak in – but you see, that’s the thing! The taste.” I don’t want to know. I’ve already been sucked in. The least I can do is at least pretend to struggle, try hopelessly to escape. Are there support groups for this? Places where I can meet other people with the same problem? Of course, people are the problem. Everyone I know shares my problem – and happily so, blissfully accepting the control it holds over their lives, submitting to its will at dawn and dusk and all hours between, as if it was something really pleasant like breathing or chocolate chip cookies or reading news magazines.

And then there are the evangelists. Try this, try that. Different kinds, foreign varieties, rows and rows of packages at the store, and the people who say, “What’s wrong with you?” if you don’t like it. Maybe I should just avoid such people, or attack them. It’s too late, of course. At some point there was probably a time when I could have stopped everything, climbed to the rooftop and shouted for everyone to hear: “I don’t drink coffee, I won’t drink coffee, you can tell me all you want how wonderful it is, and I never will!” But that time is past and now it is much, much too late. I am a slave of the almighty bean; I cannot get through the morning, or come to think of it escape an afternoon unscathed by napping, without a tall cup – for tall is what they call small in the world of coffee, apparently – now that I have had my first doses. They call it an addiction, or maybe a vice for the weak-kneed (don’t want to risk cigars or women or something truly deplorable? Try coffee), but I think it is more like a cult, or perhaps a time-share: once you’ve made the first vows, once you’ve committed yourself, you can’t back down, you can’t escape. One day you wake up and realize you can’t live, can’t function without the stuff, let alone go to class or work, and then eventually you buy a machine to make you more, to wreak more havoc, and then what – a man named Fred tells you to move to Guyana and kill yourself?

I should have stuck to tiramisu. Tiramisu is like the Unitarianism of chemical dependencies. Of course, calling it a “dependency”, such neutered language, means you’re already dodging the problem. The real problem isn’t really coffee.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have met the enemy, and he is me.

Note to readers ~ a big hearty thanks to Quintilian, Miral, Amric, dharper, CatKnight, and everyone who's read the stories so far. However, I think that because we are now in record territory (most GtA entries ever for one round!), it would be awfully nice if our five (and counting) authors were to be greeted by the most replies ever too. :) Thanks for your efforts, and our brave (or perhaps crazy) writers truly appreciate any and all of your comments. If you would like to help spread word or "advertise" GtA in the bAAR or in your own tales, that would be especially marvelous. Thanks!

~ Hajji.

Author #5: It's hard to analyze this one. The style evokes memories of high school English classes, but I couldn't tell you why other than the first-person, modern-day slice-of-life writing. I found it hard to get into, much as I did my English assignments. Which is why I now teach history. ;) The lead-up to the revelation of the addiction is humorous but predictable - perhaps unavoidable in short vignettes, where it's hard to build suspense.

Now that all five stories have been posted, I find it interesting to see the different takes on 'a successful conversion'. In two of them the conversion was en masse, while in three it was personal. In three it was religious, while in two it was something else. Two were played for humor, three were serious. In fact, the only common ground I can find is that all of them were narratives!

A very interesting bunch of stories, in any event. Congratulations to all our authors!

Author 5:

Gah! Angst! Flee!

Seriously...hm. I'd have trouble calling this one a conversion, except for your metaphor about coffee drinking cults. I suppose I can work with that, but it's definitely on the outer fringe of this exercise.

Your buildup was very well done. At first I wondered what you were talking about, then thought 'ah, drugs. Sad.' Then when the narrator's mother approved I was left to wonder.

After the massive (and excellent!) buildup in the first paragraph, I was a little disappointed that it turned out to be such a mundane thing. Perhaps it was meant as humor, but it jarred me a bit.

dharper says it sounds like something from high school...perhaps for the angst factor. Really it reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft and his long, mournful narrations. As someone who just started drinking coffee semi-regularly back in October (lots of sugar and cream does wonder for that taste) I can sympathize.

I can't really nit the actual style. It was well done. As I said, excellent bit of mournful narration. I think you might have done a cleaner job of shifting us over to the evilness of coffee by focusing more on descriptions:

"In the morning its putrid aroma arises from the kitchen, taunting me with lies about freedom, and my poor, blasted soul believes it, coming alive at the false promises even as I know I will return to it again and again."

Overall a good job!

Author 1

I admit that the general plausibility of this one did not convince me -not that I know anything about Islam, mind you, but it did not “sound” right in some regards. I quickly skimmed through previous comments and it seems like I'm not the first to feel that, so I won't elaborate too much. Remains to be seen if the story is weird or if we, readers, believe it to be unlikely because of our own poor knowledge.

On the other hand, the quotes of the Qur'an (won't bother checking for accuracy) are an interesting addition. This is the sort of useful tricks I could never use myself because I would never take the time to study religion just for a story... Call that laziness ;)

Author 2

Given that our nice missionary theoretically had something like 0.0968% chances of failing eight times in a row, I can understand him being somewhat upset... That's what happen when you cheat. The natives know it! I found this piece hilarious. I would not commend the greatness of the literary style, but I -somehow- feel like it wasn't the purpose. :D

Author 3

A refreshing inversion, with the white man converting to the natives beliefs. Not that he was a zealous Christian to begin with, but still. Bjorn is quite an archetype and I smiled as soon as Mist on Water was described as beautiful. Surely he couldn't have been “won” by some ugly scolder, could he? Most of the story is rather predictable, but I loved the twist about the bear attack actually saving Bjorn's life.

Author 4

Another interesting point of view, but I did not manage to get in the story and do not get the point about the dragon's conversion, either. I mean that I don't understand how the dragon is converted, to what, and why it is so wonderful. I mean... If four dragons can't defeat a detachment of eight humans, if their teeth can't even harm a chainmailed opponent, then how could it be so great to recruit one of them?

I also wonder if this whole piece could be a reference to something?

I'll try to read and comment the fifth place within a few days... :eek:o

Author #3
I enjoyed the first half very much as it had good movement and captured the attention. The second part to me seemed a bit bogged down with the dialogue, though I'm not sure how else it could have been relayed in such a short span. A few technical picks:

"The bear roared, its mouth opening wide as it made an awkward charge at the man."

I don't understand the use of the word awkward here. If a bear is going to charge, it's quite determined to do so. A bear may "lumber" forward, perhaps, but it doesn't really move awkwardly, at least that I've seen.

"His frenzied stabbing fortunately encountered the bear’s heart, tearing it asunder."

Again, is "tearing asunder" the right term for the knife hitting its heart?

Interestingly, you've managed to flesh out Mingan's personality fairly well with very little space and effort. Frankly I come away liking the man very much.

Certainly quite a different idea for a "conversion", so nice job in thinking that one up.

Author #4
Certain wordings give me the impression that english is not the native language of the author.
I chuckle at Catknight's idea at what pathetic tactictians these dragons are, quite true. These are hardly the more ferocious breed.
Being that dragons don't actually exist (do they?!), it's hard to know what they are thinking, so you had free reign with that.
It certainly is interesting in that this tale is done not only as a first person, but as a first dragon perspective. Nice!

"My own mouth put the green smell that clings to all living things and kills them on another armor."
This sentence doesn't make any sense to me.

"We slept and when we awoke, we planned revenge."
Perhaps this could be rewritten as one statement, "After arising from our troubling sleep we plotted our revenge."

As far as the "conversion" topic, this one really doesn't work. It seems quite unlikely a dragon would join forces with someone who had just killed all of his group.

Author #5
This is by far the best written of all the submissions. It has a very nice style to it. Superb job, and as a long time "hate coffee with a passion" kind of person, I get a double chuckle at this, for now I wonder if my complete abstinence from it is indeed safe!

"don’t want to risk cigars or women or something truly deplorable? Try coffee"
Great line!

I very much enjoyed this one, great job!

I will say this about the five different authors. A "successful conversion" was the topic, and not a single one of you went the obvious route about a two point conversion in American football in the closing seconds to win the championship game. (I say that because I turned off a Bowl game to read these) :D I look forward to the next round!

Author 5 ~ The part of this entry I liked the most was its tone. It reminds me somewhat of the rants I go on occasionally . . . If the author ever wants to write a serious piece on drug addiction, then I think the first three paragraphs could serve as a reasonable introduction. I was worried for a second there we could actually be talking about a person's conversion into a self-destructive addict. That I was convinced in this way is good, and I would say the author is fairly confident with their voice when writing. A well-constructed piece!

Y'know, Miral I didn't think about the bear charging awkwardly. But I reread it and apparently the bear's front forepaw was damaged in some way. The author doesn't explain how, but the bear was treating it gingerly before charging. As for tearing the heart asunder, well I can't explain that, although it means the same as tearing apart.

now on to the review of author five:

I'm not a coffee drinker. I don't like the taste of it and to make it even the least bit palatable I have to put in enough sugar to choke a horse. So I don't indulge. Saying that, however, is disingenius. I know people who just flat out can't function without it in the morning. I know some who must have multiple cups of it in the morning to get going. I know some who drink coffee all day long and wonder why they can't get to sleep that night. Repeat the cycle as necessary.

It's an amusing little tale. "Try it, you'll like it". Reminds me of young dope peddlers when I was a young man. It's a shame the protaganist decided to try and and found himself hooked. Now he is doomed to a trance like life of dependence on the drug know as coffee. I thought the white man's conversion was the most unusual of the stories. But it never occurred to me about the idea of converting to the cult of the coffee drinker. It's a unique tale and you can feel the angst of the the protaganist as he realizes that the conversion is complete and that now he is one of the ones who will be attempting to convert other non coffee drinkers. He is the enemy indeed. A well written and humourous tale.

Am I the only person in this thread who actually likes coffee? I drink one cup of half-caf in the morning, and sometimes a cup of decaf in the evenings after dinner (often with a splash of brandy or Gran Marnier)...because I like the taste. Not because it wakes me up...although I get to use that as an excuse if I do something stupid in the morning. :D

Hm.....there are some rather notable absences in the reviewing....coz1, Hajji himself, Farq<however the hell his name is spelled>, and quite a few others....perhaps they are waiting to provide the information that it was they who did the writing? I don't know. I realize it is the holiday season, but last December we had a pretty good turnout of reviewers. It's been pretty sparse this time. I know you've been reading, whoever you are. Now get to reviewing! I, one of the resident old men, command thee! :)

Good pickup Amric, I didn't see the line
gingerly moving it’s right fore paw
. That would certainly make for anyone moving awkwardly bear or not. The critic in this case (me) obviously can't read. ;)

Author #1

Hmm... Very well done, stylistically, and the dialogue, etc. The mood, tempo, the gradual revealing of the prince's agenda, the imam's maneuverings and gentle offputting, etc. -- all very good! I'm impressed.

There is a degree of research evident, which is good! However, one warning is that once you lead a reader to expect accuracy, you fall into a trap if your accuracy goes astray. It's hard for me to imagine, for instance, these conquered people being so casual in their presence and/or behavior with such a conservative and antagonistic prince nearby. Surely, for instance, the woman would know that a prince of that nature would be scandalized to see a woman about in public without her husband, and she certainly wouldn't be expected by the prince to answer questions or have any opinions to express in the first place.

Overall, I really like this piece! It's well done, contains the subject and plot succinctly. Like almost all of these challenge pieces, it suffers from not having time to really develop. You didn't spring the army on us out of the blue, as some authors might when they're in a hurry -- you led up to it with the murmuring, etc. Well done!

Author #2

:rofl: Funny! A great sense of humor, combined with a sense of humor about the game, itself!

Good tempo with the humor, dialogue, etc. It's a simple piece, and so I am at risk of overanalyzing... Thank you! Well done!

Author #3

Most excellent! This is an example (not to denigrate Author #1, but simply to prove a point) where the author is comfortably conversant with the subject after having researched the culture, and probably read fiction on the subject, too. I know a fair amount about this culture, too, and this comes off as a relistic portrayal, to the end. To cap it off, the author used the word "unguent" in a sentence! Not something picked out of a thesaurus, but exactly the right word for the time and place. The whole story was immersing.

This one was long, which was great! It did not have the shortcomings (no pun... well, okay... :D ) of a rushed piece. The conversation and conversion -- that gradual progression -- flowed well.

I also liked the cute twist on the "typical" conversion story -- FROM Christianity to something else, which is ironic. Great work!

The only minor nit I have is that some of the language sounds more like a 20th century professor speaking to a 20th century student. More attention to dialect and word choice would have made this even better.

Author #4

Wow! A very intriguing fantasy story. Another twist on the conversion storyline -- not religious, but allegiance.

This one was kind of choppy -- the author could have refined it and made it flow better, and I suspect more time would have produced this. The first person was interesting.

I really liked the effort to find other names for things from a different perspective. Pinkskin, neighflesh, etc. It rings of Tolkien, and I also detect an air of Robert Jordan (who I like, for the most part, unlike some others here! ;) ).

This was not my favorite -- I think it could have used more work -- but the concept was very interesting, and it was carried off relatively well! I must echo some of CatKnight's comments about the implausibility of the storyline, and personal feelings, etc. More thought was needed on the general layout of the story.

I do agree with some other commenters that I felt like the "trick" or "secret" was sprung on us at the end, whereas if we were reading anything but a challenge story the reader would almost need to know the backstory (at least the dragon part) before being able to understand what's going on and enjoy it.

These challenges are always a learning effort! Please, don't take my criticisms as anything but constructive suggestions! There are many elements of this story that indicate a talented, if growing, writer!

All right...

I'll have to come back for Author #5. Perhaps tomorrow!

Thanks to all the authors for this round, and all the commenters, and Hajji, you too, for running this!

Rensslaer