• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stroph1 and ZuckerBgeback bring up a good point. Perhaps there should be more time allowed for writing? When I wrote my story for Secret Master I think we had 4 or 5 days to do it. How much time is being allowed for these stories?

Joe

Storey said:
Stroph1 and ZuckerBgeback bring up a good point. Perhaps there should be more time allowed for writing? When I wrote my story for Secret Master I think we had 4 or 5 days to do it. How much time is being allowed for these stories?

Joe

About a week. Zucker was a last minute replacement for Mr. T, so he really didn't have more than a day to write; I had about a half week to write after I replaced Valdemar; Stroph has only himself (or real-world commitments that interfered) to blame for leaving it to the last minute.

Exactly. Originally MrT and Mr. V were slated to do the project, but rich jumped in halfway through and Z PMed me right before the deadline.

AuthAARs have precisely seven days to do their writing...I think it's been that way in the past, but it's definitely that way now.

P.S. I deleted all the PMs in my box from the last round of Guess the Author. My PM box went from 28 messages to 10. :D

I think seven days is probably sufficient Hajji, but I still wonder if you shouldn't tell us who the four authors are before we begin sharing our thoughts. Might make it a bit more fun in terms of choosing who they are, though I can completely understand the emphasis on the critique more than the guess. All in all, a fantastic effort for everyone involved so far!

I screwed around before I started writing mine...but it took me about ten minutes to do it...then I sent it to Hajji...but then I do type quickly...anywhere from 40 to seventy words a minute...there is a reason I am known as the Hurricane!:)

I >might< have been the first to send mine to Hajji, but then maybe not. It was fun to do, and it was really my first attempt at trying to be funny...and it seems to have worked, somewhat...

Amric said:
I screwed around before I started writing mine...but it took me about ten minutes to do it...then I sent it to Hajji...but then I do type quickly...anywhere from 40 to seventy words a minute...there is a reason I am known as the Hurricane!:)

I >might< have been the first to send mine to Hajji, but then maybe not. It was fun to do, and it was really my first attempt at trying to be funny...and it seems to have worked, somewhat...

40 to 70...pshhh im at 90-100 easy :)

I also think giving the names at the start would be best...but hey thats just me.

Valdemar said:
Names at the start will only influnece the critique IMHO...

Thsi not all about guessing the author, its also about giving constructive pointers :)

V

Agree, it is fun to guess the names but that should not be the main issue :)

Also, 7 days allowed for writing is my wish. It will allow you to be a bit more flexible and make it possible to adjust for real life matters :)

Amric said:
You were the first by several days. :)

IMPORTANT

We STILL have only three Authors working on submissions. (If you PMed me, you are in, by the way; only two people have PMed me and their screen-names start with E and F respectively.)

(None of the three has submitted a finished project.)

This means we have one slot still open if you want to jump in and don't mind having only three days to write your submission!

Submissions to columbus@surfy.net

Last edited:
What about Craig Ashley? Wouldn't he be #3? Or did he decide he didn't like the topic?

Oh yeah! Heh... post above edited.

Time's up.

We have one (1) (yes!) submission. Here it is (and applause to the author for actually submitting it!!!)

-----------------
Beniamino opened the doors to the back room. One dim light sat on a nearby stand and allowed him to see only a portion of the small room. What he could see was a regular sight. The room contained very little, only a table, with two chairs, and a man sitting in one. As he entered the man looked up at him and nodded silently.

“Piero, you beat me here again!” The man in the chair, Piero, rose and approached Beniamino. The two men embraced and shook hands. They did it almost without thinking, as though they had done it many times before. After a short pause, Piero returned to his seat. The chair groaned under the rather excessive weight which had returned to it. Beniamino approached the second chair and took his place.

“Well, let us get down to business.” Beniamino said, drawing his hand across his mustache as he often did. It helped him think, and now was a time for that more than ever. Piero only nodded again. “Marcello has done exactly as we planned. It could not have gone better had we started the war ourselves. His rather sacrificial attack has actually survived! Who would have guessed that Vienna would have such a difficult time defending herself?”

Again Piero only nodded. Beniamino began to get nervous. Usually such good news started a ripple of laughter from the man, but now his round face sat in silence. Piero knew something that Beniamino did not. His hand wandered to his mustache again, and began to roll the tip. What was it that Piero knew but would not say… there was only one way to find out.

“Any news Piero? What are you hiding?” Rather than be outraged, as Beniamino had thought, Piero only smiled. It was the smile of a man whose plan was working. It only made Beniamino that more worried. “Well?”

“I shall tell you what I know, when you tell me what you are hiding.” Piero’s rather conceited smile remained smacked onto his face as he spoke.

“I am hiding nothing.” How did he know? Beniamino had been careful to intercept any news from their agents. So far Marcello Esposito, General in His Majesty’s army, had proven a useful asset to their ambitions. But recently he had been doing things on his own, and quite brazenly.

“Don’t lie to me Beniamino, I know you too well. Why, just look at your hand! I see you’re nervous, it is not easy to hide.” Beniamino’s hand stopped twisting his mustache and dropped to the table. He did not plan on striking the table so forcefully, but the sound of his fist was a welcome break in the quiet.

“Fine! I shall tell you Piero. Esposito has been leading the attacks personally. No matter how many guns they fire at him he does not flinch. He is advancing rapidly. I fear too brisk for our plans.” It was out. He had hoped not to tell Piero. When they had convened their first meeting, it had been Piero who doubted the program, and Piero who had the most to loose.

“He still marches through vineyards?”

“Yes.”

“Then what is the problem?”

“He is moving so quickly that our estimated damage is not being done. In fact, the yards remain mostly intact. He has not even damaged the distilleries. And needless to say that is a bad thing! They will have enough for a goodly sized harvest.” Beniamino was wringing his hands. This was not good, and the more he thought about it, the worse it got. And yet Piero did not react. “Did you hear me?”

“Yes, but I already knew.” One of Beniamino’s men had gone around him, now he would have to find out who before it happened again. “And I have already made arrangements. You say that he is brash yes?”

“Not so brash, as bold. He will not stray from battle, nor allow defeat. No matter where he sends, or I should say, we send his men, he leads them, head-on. He will not retreat, even in the face of countless enemies. And so far he has not been stopped.”

“So he is unflinching? He marches headlong? Fine. This works just as well. I have arranged for this matter to be dealt with. I believe that perhaps out pawn has outgrown his usefulness. A change of command will cause quite a delay in our advance, which will give us more time to, hmm, enjoy the hospitality of our guests as it were.”

“A change of command Piero? How would that happen? Neither of us have connections to the War Staff. And the King wouldn’t replace his star commander. The only way we would see a change of command would be if Esposito were…” It dawned on him. Piero would go that far to see the plan through. “You can not be serious! Spying and giving false information is one thing, but murder?”

“Don’t be naive Beniamino. When we began this adventure you knew we would have to see it though. Esposito is becoming a nuisance. I am certain that members of his command staff would be more than happy to find themselves promoted. Esposito will be leading a charge tomorrow. He will not see it to its conclusion.”

Piero rose suddenly the chair sliding back with the force of his rise. Beniamino jumped up as well. A sudden and rather uncomfortable silence descended between the two men. Beniamino looked nervously at Piero, whose round face was locked in a vicious stare. After a few seconds of this eerie quite, Piero began to laugh. Beniamino nervously added to his guffaws. But just as suddenly as it had begun, it stopped.

“We are done Beniamino.” Beniamino sighed to himself, he was ready to leave. But as he turned to get out of the dark room Piero spoke again. “If this backfires, you can be certain that your name will be heard as much as mine.” Beniamino did not respond; he did not know how. Instead, he just left the room, leaving its darkness behind him.

I found this to be a very fine story about deceitfulness and the murkiness of mankind. Much attention to details and a good twist in the end made me really appreciate the work. The plot was realistic and the interaction between the characters very, very good.

This is written by a native writer; definitely a skilled one. When reading I get the feeling that this could be something LD would have written 30 years ago. That remark is not meant as criticism but something about the writing give me the impression that the author hasn’t peaked yet. The story isn’t presented in a way that would be typical for an older or more mature writer like LD, Director or Storey.

I sense that there is a prospect for some improvements here and there even though the story is first-rate as I stated above. The writing do indicate that this is a young, able writer with a huge potential. Since CA was the only one to sign up I am convinced he is the author. Everything in the style of writing leads in that direction. To cut a long story short I really enjoyed this story and if I compare it to the ones written in the previous round (since there is no references in this heat) I would unquestionably have placed it next to Amric´s nicely written tale :)

Last edited:
A well written story, but I don't quite see how it fits the topic (short bio of a leader.)

My comment as well. I guess we are supposed to assume that it is a military leader from Victoria? Im not quite sure. Lots of dialogue, but no detail into the actual biography of the leader, so im not sure it goes along with the original topic.

Well, we have another Author!

Author #2

Being born into a period filled with war, constant unending war, can bring up only so many types of men, soilders and officers. Most soilders were born too peasents, most officers of the aristocracy, there were few exceptions too the rule, but the exceptions were spectacular.

Born 5 years before the greatest war to shape europe to date puts you in prime position to determine the outcome. He was born into the time of greatest religious tension known yet and being born into northern Germany, he lived in the battlefields. ate in the villages he would order destroyed, raised the cows he would order to be slaughtered, worked the fields he ordered burned.

This also mean he knew the best fields, the smallest crossings, the best shortcuts, a virtue that would help him greatly both attacking and retreating. He developed a knack for cutting off the fleeing enemy, or getting back too his supplies when needed, something which angered his foes too no end. This trait also helped him setup ambush after ambush, he knew the hills and forests and could position his shooters as to where they would have clear shots while being invisible.

He was as influencial as any leader in the 30 years war, but led no brave charges, fired no winning volley. He didn't command the great battles, invade the key cities.

He cut the supplies, killed the morale, stopped the reinforcements.

His brigade torched the fields on the fleeing enemy, starved them, harrassed the camps, kept them tire. In some ways this is what decided the battles, not the great commanders, the enemy would enter the battle defeated, and that is how they would leave.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Estonianzulu said:
My comment as well. I guess we are supposed to assume that it is a military leader from Victoria? Im not quite sure. Lots of dialogue, but no detail into the actual biography of the leader, so im not sure it goes along with the original topic.
That reminds me, neither author supplied forum names. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so, authors, when you feel like it reveal your names. :)

The first is written from a far different prespective than the second, obviously. The second is more of a straight-forward biography, where the first attempts to describe a leader through the two men's discussion. I have to say that I preferred this even though it made it more difficult to determine the leaders traits clearly as some of them may be colored by the feelings of the two men.

I found the dialogue believable in #1 and the attention to mannerisms was very nice. As a fictional work, it was slightly difficult to picture either of the speakers in my minds eye, but then the project was more about describing the leader, though I was also left wondering quite a bit about him as well.

In the second, it read as more of a bio, which was the project goal, but I felt it could have been more descriptive rather than what seemed simply a list of traits, though this did acheive the end result of letting us know who and what he was. It is obviously a non-English writer and so some of the grammatical errors are easily forgivable, and further, it was most likely written in a short period of time to add another writer to the mix so I shant be too hard. Suffice it to say, it could have been a bit better with more work.

I should think the best way to tackle this project would be to perhaps describe a general as he walked into a room or as perceived from a soldier seeing him on the battlefield. I admit, it was perhaps one of the more difficult tasks thus far in this project. I wished I had thought of the above when it was first suggested. :rolleyes:

Overall, I congratulate both of the writers as it takes courage to throw your work out there blindly to be critiqued. Thanks for sharing with us.

Well... looks like we might be loosing interest again :(

I'll step out first then, as whoever else submitted a piece wont. I am the author of the first submission. I guess I will explain myself. When I first looked at the topic it jumped out and said HoI. However I have not been as into HoI as I have been in Vicky. So I chose a random country you dont see much about, Italy, and used the "leadership" cheat till I got a guy I thought was interesting.

I didn't want to just do a biography, as I thought that would be a little short for me, so I took him from the eyes of two men controlling him. It was an Italian General, who was unflinching and a pawn, so I found it would be easy to do it in this direction. Instead of a bio for a leader I did an analysis of a leader, but I figured it was close enough to the topic for government work.

I wrote the second...and I hated my entry

This most likely was not my ideal topic....and I've been suffering from writers block lately (was sorta hoping this may help)....

I actually thought I had another day to write it, but when the first entry was posted I sorta accelerated another one out (I had wrote 2 earlier that I ended up deleting I disliked them so much), I did this in about 10 minutes......

I also didnt have Microsoft word on (bad spelling) since I've never had it installed, and was in too much of a hurry and only skimmed it once...

oh well.....I give my entry a D- (too be fair)