• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two good submissions, I would say. The first slightly longer than perhaps necessary, the second perhaps not as long as it could have been. The writing in both is well done, thought the first has more flavor to it, more description. However, this may account for why the length approached a bit more than needed to get the episode across. It did not really hit until halfway through what the reasons for the assassination might be (once we realized who the assassin would be.) The second did not do much to fill us in on why the assassination was taking place. For that reason, it could have used a bit more.

I found the actual scenes of killing to be quite effective. The second takes a more visual approach, and it does appear gruesome in my mind. The first uses more suggestion, and this I liked a lot. Each shot rang out in my head as I read it. Very nicely done to evoke the mood and event.

Great job, HG, for getting this back up and running. Let's hope some others get interested. :)

Thanks coz1 and Judge for responding ... would anybody else care to comment before I unveil the authors' names?

Reveal away. Next time, try something challenging, like setting Fruit to Buy<0 on the WM. :)

Last edited:
OK, good...I thought so but wasn't sure...thanks sir! :)

While perusing some of the older threads in this area, this one caught my fancy more than others. It has always been a fun project for the folks willing to both write for and critique said writing, but it does tend to tail off after a time.

I've no idea if Hajji has any interest in re-starting this project (where are you Hajji?) but if he does not, I might...I repeat might be interested in heading up a resurgence of this initiative for AARland if I see that others are interested. If so, say so in this thread. We'll take it from there. :)

Count me in old mate. Need any help or anything, buzz me. Great stuff.

Seems not only to be a fun game, but a great way for writers to hone their skills on random topics or scenes issued. Im in 100%!

All righty then! :) Looks like there is some interest here, and this I like to see. I must admit that I will be going out of town this coming Wednesday and not returning until the 25th of August, which I understand from Hajji's title is around the same date he plans to return to the forum.

I figure the best thing to do right now is to continue to see if interest gains and to determine if Hajji would like to take back the reins of this project or if I should try myself to bring it back. Let's take stock over the next two weeks and see who else might be interested as this project would not be worth it (IMO) if a large group did not want to contribute.

The largest problem we have had over time has been both those willing to submit pieces and also those willing to critique. There is nothing worse than someone spending time to create something to submit and then only finding one or two replies to that. If this will work, we will need more than two or three replies each time, and on both fronts (submissions and critiques.)

But the more people that notice this thread and show their excitement will signal what kind of reception this project might have. When I return, I will look at what others have suggested they want. If you all say "let's go" (and thank you to those that already have) and if Hajji does not wish to pick the project back up, I will get us going again.

I agree that this has always been fun and a great way to improve skills, and most especially critique, which can always improve responses to AARs, which we all like. :D I look forward to seeing if we can bring this back as a fun and educational project for greater AARland. Thanks for your interest. Feel free to keep it coming!

As I understand the project... a writing challenge AND critiquing ... I'd be game. So to speak! ;)

Rensslaer

Just to make sure everyone knows what this project is about, refer to the first post of this thread. Hajji Giray I does a fine job of explaining the particulars. That should give you all some guidelines for what this project has been and could be again. Good stuff, IMO. :)

Count me in, full hand.

I'm in!

Especially for the critiquing part! ("Who wrote this tripe???") ;)

coz1 said:
Just to make sure everyone knows what this project is about, refer to the first post of this thread. Hajji Giray I does a fine job of explaining the particulars.
Hmm... I find it an interesting coincidence that Hajji's first challenge, when the thread started, was to write about "losing a battle to rebels" --- that's basically what my story's last update was about!

I'm looking forward to this. There are a wide range and depth of talent on this board! Should be interesting to see the quality showcased in one place.

Rensslaer