Welcome to "Guess-the-Author"...the slightly misnamed place to critique anonymous writings by various forum members!
THE RULES...pilfered from Secret Master but edited quite a bit:
HISTORY: The Original Thread (started by resident genius Secret Master)1) Actual story posts will only be submitted by me or the designated person in charge, to retain anonymity. Critical/guess posts will be made under your own nick.
2) This is what happens: First, the coordinator will choose a topic for authors to write about. Topics will be very broad and general, and will cover topics in (if at all possible) the EU games, HoI, and Victoria, so authors who own only one of those games (or, possibly, none) can still join the project.
3) Second, anyone who wishes to write on a topic must PM the coordinator and get approval. The number of authors writing on any particular topic will be limited to 4, or otherwise as designated by the person in charge, so it's important to inform the coordinator of your interest as soon as possible so you will be one of the first four. The coordinator will inform you of if you're going to write or not (ie if there are already four authors signed up).
4) Submissions will have a deadline that they must meet. This is to allow all the posts to be put up at once, so as to give "equal time" to them, in addition to keeping the manager of the project sane (actually, the latter may be a lost cause already ). This also keeps the project rolling, even if one of the authors has unexpected problems.
6) Anyone may offer guesses as to the identity of the author and may post constructive criticism. Spam will not be tolerated, nor outright attacks, as per forum rules.
7) The list of authors will not be provided until a set time has expired. Then all will be revealed. (As our community has grown enormously, guessing the author should no longer be as big a priority as providing positive feedback.)
8) Posts that discuss writing in more general terms should be posted in the SolAARium, not here. Not that we don't want to read them, but everything has its proper place, from artillery to literary criticism.
The idea was originally conceived by Director
The project was rescued from near oblivion in August 2005 by coz1
Past Project Coordinators:
Hajji Giray I (March - June 2004)
Anibal (June 2004)
Hajji Giray I (July - December 2004)
An Unfortunate Hiatus... (December 2004 - August 2005)
coz1 (August 2005 - May 2006)
Hajji Giray I (June 2006)
J. Passepartout (July 2006)
[anarchy round] (August - September 2006)
coz1 (October 2006 - March 2007)
stnylan (May - June 2007)
Another Unfortunate Hiatus... (July - September 2007)
Hajji Giray I (October 2007)
[Month - Topic - submissions begin at post #X]
March 04 - Losing a battle to rebels - #4
March 04 - Diplomatic insult - #51
April 04 - Description of a leader - #93
May 04 - Unsuccessful religious conversion - #112
May 04 - New technology - #134
Jun 04 - A humiliating peace treaty - #166
Aug 04 - Province defection - #199
Nov 04 - Assassination - #216
Aug 2005 - Declaration of war - #256
Sept 05 - A discovery - #293
Oct 05 - A battle - #327
Nov 05 - Returning home from war - #385
Dec 05 - A celebration - #436
Jan 2006 - Insane ruler - #463
Feb 06 - Treacherous noble arrested - #500
March 06 - Treason - #524
April 06 - Taxes - #592
May 06 - A sporting match - #623
Jun 06 - A new ruler - #670
July 06 - Gift to the state - #713
Aug/Sep 06 - Death of a ruler - #749
Oct 06 - Wlak stories - #786
Nov 06 - A peace conference - #818
Dec/Jan 06-07 - A great feast - #850
Feb/March 07 - Election as Holy Roman Emperor - #900
May/June 07 - Reinterpretation of a generic story by stnylan [#951] - #957
You can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- - -
In the past we have had many illustrious contributors, including (in no particular order) Amric, Stroph1, coz1, Valdemar, Judge, Alhazen, Prufrock451, J. Passepartout, Peter Ebbesen, stnylan, CatKnight, frogbeastegg, richvh, Fenwick, and dozens more. Guess-the-Author is one of the AAR forum's longest and most important traditions, and the teamwork it takes is evident not just in the staggering number of contributors we've had but also in the number of coordinators who have started up new rounds. But most important of all: the comments! Please read through the newest entries and critique them - after all, that is why we are here. Perhaps you could become one of our illustrious authors, too, no matter how long you've been in AARland. Guess-the-Author is proud to have been home to several stunning writing debuts and first-posts.
In this great community project and writing workshop, interest, participation, and friendly discussion are the keys to improving our writing.
GUESS-THE-AUTHOR CANNOT POSSIBLY SURVIVE WITHOUT YOU.